Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

HOI II or HOI II?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HOI II or HOI II? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
HOI II or HOI II? - 2/24/2010 10:14:59 PM   
mrensing

Hello all. I have dug HOI out of the basement and become sucked into it again. Question for those with all three games...is it worth buying HOI 2 or HOI 3? Are either, or both, a significant improvement over HOI? Is 3 a significant improvement over 2? And finally, is there another game out there that does the same thing as HOI but is a better game?

I purchased the original UE as well, and I can honestly say that I did not enjoy it at all. Perhaps the UE engine just lends itself better to the WWII setting. Keeping that in mind, are there other Paradox games set in different periods that you have enjoyed as much as HOI?
Thanks for the opinions all.
Post #: 1
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/24/2010 10:45:15 PM   
RyanCrierie

Don't get HOI3. Even at $7.50 it isn't worth it.

(in reply to mrensing)
Post #: 2
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/24/2010 10:52:18 PM   
JudgeDredd

I'd have to agree that HoI2 in it's current state is better than HoI3 at the moment, though HoI3 is getting there.

You'd maybe be better off getting Arsenal of Democracy which is the latest (and final?) version of HoI2.

And EUIII and it's expansions was a great game, though I have heard the latest iteration of that one is also the best

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to RyanCrierie)
Post #: 3
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/24/2010 11:05:08 PM   
bairdlander2

Arsenal of Democracy would be your best bet with the latest GIP mod.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 4
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/24/2010 11:10:33 PM   
Skeleton

Judge is dead square on regarding this; don't get either, but rather Arsenal Of Democracy. Words cannot express how disappointed and disgusted I am with HoI3. Foolishly, I didn't wait the obligatory 8-10 months after release and I have fired HoI3 up with each patch only to remove it from my hard drive and swear that I wasn't going to do buy anything upon release from them again. For the money you would spend on the HoI Anthology, 1 and 2 and both of 2's expansions, you would be better suited to spend it on Arsenal of Democracy. With everything that has been added, and with the price, it looks like a winner. If I were not still so disgusted with paying $50 for HoI3 and if it had a physical copy option, I would pick it up today. Just my two cents...

(in reply to mrensing)
Post #: 5
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 12:26:04 AM   
billyjj

Hearts of Iron 3 is just not a fun game. Spend most of your time on the production menu making sure you dont waste your ICs. The game pretty much plays itself, its got a million useless features you have no control over the combat or the air battles and the game is real time but you end up pausing it every 5 seconds because who can play a game of that complexity in realtime? It will take you longer to play a game then it took to fight the actual war... I was a fan of HOI until 3,.. but now that I found matrix games I wonder why I ever liked HOI in the first place.

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 6
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 2:52:30 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: billyjj

you have no control over the combat or the air battles

Im not a fan of HOI3,but can you explain what you mean by that?

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 7
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 3:39:26 AM   
Jeffrey H.

Umm, tough choice I suppose, HOI 2 or HOI 2, like the title says.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 8
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 6:44:51 AM   
JudgeDredd

lol

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 9
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 7:28:14 AM   
freeboy

HOI3 was imo not a fun game, AOD is both fun, better than the origonal, a standalone and 19.95.. If you want a omplete war gaem, as in teh complete war.. notthe bestgame, but a fun game AOD is a good fun way to spend some time.. the game is vastley improved HOI2, tweeked the way the community had been asking for years, it should have for pc sake come out before hoi3, but that is not the folks problem that made it as HOI3 still is cumbersome

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 9:02:11 AM   
comte

HOI 2

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 11
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 10:14:09 AM   
Lützow

In theory HOI3 should be the better game due to additional features, but when it came to actual gameplay, it was boring.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 12
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 1:44:14 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

In theory HOI3 should be the better game due to additional features, but when it came to actual gameplay, it was boring.

Don't you guys call that "verschlimmbesserung" Trying to improve a game/gameplay, only ending up with a product that is actually worse.

My 2 cts on this, AoD... just from the looks and the reviews of it it seems like a winner.

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 13
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 7:43:56 PM   
Obsolete

I find it interesting how many here don’t think HoI is that bad.  A few years ago there was a thread at the Wargamer, on what is the WORST wargame made.  This happened because they couldn’t agree on the best.

HoI I got one of the first nominations, though there were multiple other Paradox titles to also be nominated.  Even Matrix-G got one nomination for I-of-the-Enemy.

There were a couple by even Micro-Prose, and quite a lot by publishers that many of you probably have not even heard of before.  I always found these quite interesting, if not humorous reads.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 14
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 8:13:06 PM   
Skeleton

I am not certain how to read your post Obsolete, so if I miss-interpret it in replying, my apologies. I believe the issue is actually one of releasing a game that simply is not ready for release. Three years from now, that could change. Anyway you want to slice it, I would be hard pressed to recommend getting HOI3.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 15
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 8:22:00 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

I find it interesting how many here don’t think HoI is that bad....

It's like the old sayings: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or "One man's trash is another man's treasure" and so on. It's all a matter of personal perspective.

I don't know how many games I have purchased because others raved about how they had enjoyed playing them and which I thought stank. And the opposite was sometimes true--I thoroughly enjoyed playing a game that others despised.

But I truly do wish someone would add an extra "I" after one of the HOI IIs in the title of this thread.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 16
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 8:56:18 PM   
JudgeDredd

Hearts of Iron II and addons (and presumably AoD) are good games...no doubt about it. HoI3 is not up to par as yet and I presume will go along the lines of the previous HoI titles until it becomes a great wargame. Right now, it's not

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 2/25/2010 8:57:56 PM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 17
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/25/2010 9:07:29 PM   
Lützow

I don't think HOI isn't any good. In fact it's the best available grand strategy WW2 era game and I feel tempted to throw another 20 bucks toward Pd for AOD. Just HOI3 was bland and I'm not even thinking about bugs here. In principle this spin-off had everything necessary to make a dignified successor but the final outcome sucked.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 18
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/26/2010 2:48:29 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

Umm, tough choice I suppose, HOI 2 or HOI 2, like the title says.

I couldn't make up my mind.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 19
RE: HOI II or HOI II? - 2/27/2010 7:33:48 PM   
LarryP

I gotta say, I have been playing AoD and it's much more fun than any of the HoI series so far. For $20 it is far more worth it than $7.50 for HoI3. Some great additions have been added.

Some have complained that not enough has been changed for the $20, but I disagree.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> HOI II or HOI II? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote