Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A Long standing Situation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A Long standing Situation Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Long standing Situation - 2/28/2010 6:06:11 PM   
jwilkerson

Well several ways to counter ... one is HR ... in my game we have HR against having too many small surface combat TFs in the same hex for the express purpose of "borking" the combat model ... another is reset your expectations ... assume you are always fighting an "attrition war" ... and not seeking the "decisive battle" ...

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Moss Orleni)
Post #: 61
RE: A Long standing Situation - 2/28/2010 6:54:19 PM   
Moss Orleni

We deliberately opted to not use a HR on this, the most important reason being the difficulty to establish a cutoff point for what one would consider as 'too many'.
Also, the number of occasions where you can really 'bork' the engine (meaning where you have a massive amount of ships all trying to flee from the same hex at the same time) is quite limited and didn't seem to warrant adding an additional HR.
For the remaining cases (the ones where fewer ships are involved), the idea of dispersing your fleet while under threat of superior forces is more common sense than gamey IMO.

In any case, it seems that AE does a good job already at limiting the advantages of dispersal. Didn't experience it yet myself, but I suppose the multi-intercept routine applies to submarines as well? So TF multi-intercepts and air strike spillover attacks might even force a defender to reconsider his tactics and go back to bigger TF again in order to optimize/pool his defences...
Exactly the kind of choice which makes the game so interesting!

Cheers,

Moss

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 62
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A Long standing Situation Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI