Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Solo Play?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Solo Play? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Solo Play? - 3/1/2010 1:55:56 AM   
Accipiter

I've been playing WITP and WITP for several years now, always through PBEM, and enjoy it tremendously. But I wouldn't mind playing vs. the AI for down time between turns. Does anyone know if the AI is up snuff for playing against an human? I seem to recall that it was originally suggested to only play as the Allies if playing vs. the AI. Is this still true or is it now viable if the human is the Japanese side? Thanks.
Post #: 1
RE: Solo Play? - 3/1/2010 2:00:31 AM   
Misconduct

quote:

ORIGINAL: Accipiter

I've been playing WITP and WITP for several years now, always through PBEM, and enjoy it tremendously. But I wouldn't mind playing vs. the AI for down time between turns. Does anyone know if the AI is up snuff for playing against an human? I seem to recall that it was originally suggested to only play as the Allies if playing vs. the AI. Is this still true or is it now viable if the human is the Japanese side? Thanks.

Well problem is no AI is any good period against a human player. The AI did get better scripts to execute better in AE, however it still falls from the basic's of not being able to adjust to its surroundings. For example - I am running ships like crazy to Java (as Allies) in an attempt to hold it, the AI decides to send one carrier from the north of Singapore, which I ambush then sink with a battleship. To the east it sends another single carrier with 2 battleships which I sink also.

The AI is based on scripts which it executes, its hardly any better then WITP, except with slight more aggression in it.

(in reply to Accipiter)
Post #: 2
RE: Solo Play? - 3/1/2010 2:09:11 AM   
PaulWRoberts

I seem to recall discussion of "house rules" for play against the AI in order to give it a chance. This may have been back in the days of stock WITP.

Are there any good house rules for AI play in WITP:AE?

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 3
RE: Solo Play? - 3/1/2010 2:42:45 AM   
Oldguard1970

I suppose there are some "classic" house rules (self-imposed limitations) to keep a game fun against the AI. Here are a few I would suggest:

1. Do not "restart" or alter a turn unless the AI really blew it.
2. Role play, don't "game". Could you, in whatever role you are playing, really strip point A to send forces to point B?
3. Avoid exploits. You have learned that a clever player will do "X", because the game engine makes "X" a valuable thing to do. Save using "X" for PBEM. Against the AI, do what seems to be "normal" for WWII.
4. Avoid odd ball strategies. The AI uses scripts. A really wierd strategy just won't conform to the scripts. Save your strategically clever idea for your PBEM war.

The AI is fun. It is allowing me to learn. (Thank you Andy Mac.) At some point, it will no longer put up a good fight. Then I will need to engage in PBEM.

"Rangers Lead the Way!"

(in reply to PaulWRoberts)
Post #: 4
RE: Solo Play? - 3/1/2010 3:10:48 AM   
Misconduct

One thing i do keep hearing always, try to play with the time line of the war for a better experience. I.e don't invade in 42 but wait and let the AI build up some for better enjoyment.

(in reply to Oldguard1970)
Post #: 5
RE: Solo Play? - 3/1/2010 3:12:30 AM   
WLockard

You can also try one of the iron-man scenarios that Andy Mac created.

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 6
RE: Solo Play? - 3/1/2010 3:24:40 AM   
jwilkerson

If you want a real challenge and you are playing the Allies - sent/leave all your carriers in their home ports for the entire game - support your invasions with LBA only!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to WLockard)
Post #: 7
RE: Solo Play? - 3/1/2010 3:31:28 AM   
freeboy

I have played the ai as allies.. it does help to see what is what prior to pbem ae but really teh ai in ae as Jap is very aggressive....
U shold have a blast if the ai for Allies is half as determined as the ai for the Japs..

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Solo Play? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI