Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Computer Shut Down

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Computer Shut Down Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Computer Shut Down - 3/1/2010 7:06:39 PM   
emcgman

Has anyone heard of Windows Vista completely shutting down when trying to run a full screen 3d type game. My drivers are all current. It will play fine with 2d games like ICC internet chess club. But for example with the Operation Barbosa it just shuts down after 3-5 minutes. Same thing happens with games like Neverwinter Nights 2, etc. I've searched on microsoft help page but had no luck so far.

Thanks in advance
Post #: 1
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/1/2010 7:36:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

Does it go through a software shutdown or just turn off? If the latter, sounds like an overheating issue with your hardware.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to emcgman)
Post #: 2
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/1/2010 7:39:09 PM   
ASHBERY76

That has got to be a heat issue.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/1/2010 7:47:08 PM   
Obsolete

Or possibly, not enough wattage. 

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 4
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/1/2010 8:00:40 PM   
emcgman

It just shuts down, and when I restart it's a clean restart. I've suspected an overheating issue. Should I just replace the power supply, or could something else be overheating because of damage, etc.

Thanks again.

(in reply to emcgman)
Post #: 5
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/1/2010 8:45:47 PM   
Knavery

Yeah I'm kinda with Obsolete on this one. What is your system specs along with your power supply wattage?

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM

(in reply to emcgman)
Post #: 6
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/1/2010 9:00:32 PM   
Joram

Third the wattage thing.   Though most pre-built shouldn't have that issue.

(in reply to Knavery)
Post #: 7
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/1/2010 9:13:08 PM   
diablo1

if you're running 3D games it could be several things. Overheating video card, not enough airflow or fans within the case, overused/heating PSU too low wattage or overheating processor (usually last problem when it comes to overheating issues). The cheapest fixes are PSU first I'd suggest 700watts at min for 3D gaming. Then if it continues upgrade your system fans to 120 whatchamacallits from 80 ones. After that a bigger faster video card and as a last resort a more powerful processor.

A great fix if you can afford it is a small 5600btu window air conditioner in your computer room and blowing on the computer case as I've been running a setup like this for a long time now and have no heating issues.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 8
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/1/2010 10:38:57 PM   
htuna

Yep on the above.. overheating or PSU.. does your graphics card come with a monitor, so that you can check your temps?.. One make sure none of your fans are blocked.. I had that happen with my GTX260... a cable was bumping into the fan and preventing it from spinning.. once I moved the cable, all was well..

(in reply to diablo1)
Post #: 9
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/1/2010 11:09:55 PM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: emcgman

Has anyone heard of Windows Vista completely shutting down when trying to run a full screen 3d type game.

There are 2 possible reasons:

• 1) The video card needs external ("additional") power (some cards have a black plug which you're supposed to connect to the PSU). There are cases where a card would run (even though it receives power from the PCIe bus only), but where starting a 3D-game would result in system shutdown or "soft"-reset, as the BIOS detects a failure, or...

• 2) the power supply doesn't deliver the required ampère-level on the +12V rail (this would indeed result in an abrupt [and complete] shutdown everytime), or it's not able to provide a stable output (most noname PSUs aren't stable enough for power-hungry components).

Such a shutdown happened to me when I bought an ATI 9800 Pro ages ago, as the card required 16A (!), there was even a red paper note in the retail box, stressing out the card would need a PSU with a min. of 16A (+12V). IIRC, I could boot, but the system would shut down right after getting to the desktop, as my PSU delivered 12A only. The card itself did not pull/require the 16A (my guess would be like 3A-5A), in comparison: a Geforce 7600 GT pulls 3.3 Ampere), but the sum of PC components max'ed out the supplied ampere value.
    Modern cards, say an ATI HD 4870 X2 alone will pull 22.4 Ampere.

If the video card would overheat you'd see blocky gfx or artefacts, totally wrong colors, etc., or a soft-reset. An overheating card wouldn't result in a shutdown, neither BIOS nor Windows do that if a video card is overheating.

Please post your PSU specs, means brand, volt/ampère levels for all rails [ie. 3.3 volt, +12V etc.etc.], and tell me what video card you're using (brand/model).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Obsolete

Or possibly, not enough wattage.

The Watt value gives you an idea in what "division" a given PSU would play, but that's all, since the only interesting values are the ampere levels, PLUS whether a PSU is able to deliver stable Volt/Ampere levels or not.
A 430 Watts brand PSU could be totally sufficient to provide say some stable 20A on the +12Volt rail, but a noname PSU with 570 Watts may not be able to deliver more than let's say 3 Volt on the +3.3 Volt rail and way less than 20A on the +12V rail on full load, for example.
Watts for PSUs is a bit like the Watts PMPO value japanese and chinese companies love to use, a 70 Watts PMPO loudspeaker for your computer usually has around 7 (real) Watts, means IF measured in a realistic environment and not just in a distance of 1 Meter (IIRC, the latter is the spec for PMPO). PMPO is rather a marketing tool (or a tool to fool people), and this goes for PSU Watts too, to some extent. If you buy audio equipment (car, PC, home entert.) then go for the Watt (Sinus) value, to avoid frustration.

< Message edited by GoodGuy -- 3/1/2010 11:57:18 PM >

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to emcgman)
Post #: 10
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/2/2010 12:10:20 AM   
Scott_WAR

Just wanted to say GoodGuy is right.
You have to check all the specs to be sure.

Also, I bought and built that system we were posting about a few weeks ago GoodGuy,....and it runs flawlessly. Thanks for the help/advice. I really like the LanLi case.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 11
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/2/2010 12:11:39 AM   
htuna

Actually you're right.. only my Video Card shut down when the fan was blocked.. not the System.. but if your CPU wasn't cooling properly, that would shut the system down..

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 12
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/2/2010 5:07:57 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

Also, I bought and built that system we were posting about a few weeks ago GoodGuy,....and it runs flawlessly. Thanks for the help/advice. I really like the LanLi case.

You're welcome, Scott.
Did you get the Lian Li PC-7b (I got that) or another one?
What else did you get? Btw I put air filter mats in front of the frontal case fan and behind (inside) the rear case fan (to protect the fan's bearing), as both collected a lot of dust. The Lian Li's left side panel has ventilation slots, and they collect a lot of dust too, so I am thinking about closing them or at least putting a filter mat behind those, too.

"Aw Nuts"
General Anthony McAuliffe
December 22nd, 1944
Bastogne

---
"I've always felt that the AA (Alied Assault engine) had the potential to be [....] big."
Tim Stone
8th of August, 2006

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 13
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/2/2010 6:43:18 AM   
Scott_WAR

This case-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112235

This is the entire system-
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8655289

No side panels- small grills in the bay fronts and a filter for the big fan in the front. I wipe the grills off and clean the filter about once a week.

< Message edited by Scott_WAR -- 3/2/2010 6:44:00 AM >

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 14
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/2/2010 7:04:45 AM   
GoodGuy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_WAR

No side panels- small grills in the bay fronts and a filter for the big fan in the front. I wipe the grills off and clean the filter about once a week.

Nice rig. Make sure you watch the dust level on the fans of your MSI card. Looks good, I like the Heatpipe cards. What are those black holes on your Lian Li's rear? Slots for water-cooling pipes? Is that an Aluminium case, like mine?

My case came without filters, even though they were on the inv list, so I had to get some alt. ones.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 15
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/2/2010 7:10:13 AM   
Scott_WAR

Its plastic and yes those are holes for watercooling if someone decided to go that route. I just cant bring myself to try watercooling.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 16
RE: Computer Shut Down - 3/3/2010 3:00:31 AM   
emcgman

Hey guys, thanks for all your helpful information. I guess that for some reason the cpu is overheating. It seems like the main fan is barely blowing. I got some games to run by opening the case and blowing! I'm gonna get am outboard fan in the meantime.

Thanks again to the best forum on the internet, this has really helped.

(in reply to Scott_WAR)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Computer Shut Down Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote