Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So tell us a little about yourself!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> So tell us a little about yourself! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/5/2010 9:39:54 PM   
AW1Steve

I was shocked and appalled to find that apparently I never did one of these threads for AE . At least I couldn't find one. And WITP's is , well how we say it? Semi-defunct, perhaps. Any way , there are newbies amongst us. So tell us the story behind your Avatar, sig line and log in name, and a little bit about yourself. We don't bite. At least not too badly. Well, alright Bobo does, but he's been MIA for a couple of months now. So ....

Hello , my name is AW1Steve, and I'm WITP-a-holic..............

Post #: 1
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/5/2010 10:18:48 PM   
Cribtop

I'll go first. I'm a long time wargamer (starting with board games in the early 80s when I was still in elementary school and middle school). A proud Texan (is there any other kind?), I've lived in Austin for years now, but I'm originally from San Antonio and I've lived in every major city in Texas east of I-35 at one point or another.

The handle Cribtop comes from a miniatures gaming group when I lived in Dallas in the late 90s. We were all trying to get back into board games and minis but no one had a decent gaming table. In desperation, one of my buddies flipped over an old crib for our first few sessions and we pushed lead around over that (FYI, his kids had grown old enough that it was collecting dust in a back room, so no children were harmed in said crib flipping ). We jokingly called ourselves the "Cribtop Gaming Society" and the Cribtop name stuck.

I came late to the party but have played WitP for about the past year. Just as I felt ready for a WitP PBEM, AE came out, so I went back to the AI for training on the new system. I'm about ready to launch my first PBEM game as Japan. Banzai!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 2
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/5/2010 11:14:22 PM   
mike scholl 1

One (or both) of us must definately qualify as geezers..., because I'm certain (as I can be) that there was one of these already.  But I don't mind talking about the wonderfulness of me more than once.

I was born before Harry Truman was elected president, but on the other side of Missouri.  Started my gaming career in 1959 with the original Gettysburg, and have been poking around with military simulations of all forms ever since.  Led to a lifelong facination with studying all forms of military history, and the accumulation of a fair sized library on the subject.  Now that I'm retired I have the time to re-read it all, as well as kibbitz on this forum.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 3
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/6/2010 12:26:22 AM   
jetjockey

Mike, you are only as old as you feel. I started gaming in the 70's with AH's Tactics II and then "moved" to Europe with Squad Leader and have been fighting the "Land War" in Asia ever since (love SPWAW BTW). Being ex-Navy, I’ve tried several naval games from AH’s Ironclads to Matrix’s old WIP, but none ever felt right. I had been watching WitP for several years (since about the time of AE’s first scheduled release date) and figured I’d wait. I finally broke down in April of last year, and haven’t regretted it once! (AE came out in June I believe, so, well, maybe once)

< Message edited by jetjockey -- 3/6/2010 12:29:33 AM >

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 4
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/6/2010 12:39:06 AM   
kfmiller41

This is the one place where alot of people are about the same age as I am Started gaming in the early 70s as well, Squad Leader and all avalon hill games (kingmaker was a favorite). Retired Navy and work to keep out boomers working as they age (kinda like me). Am a WITP addict even though i can't plan a weekend getaway let alone a major operation in this game but damn it is fun trying. Live in Georgia but am from New Jersey and am happily married with 2 dogs instead of kids (easier to maintain)

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to jetjockey)
Post #: 5
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/6/2010 6:37:01 PM   
AW1Steve

AW1 was my rate/rank in the USN+USNR.(my avatar is the symbol from my rating badge).  It is an abbreviation for Aviation Anti-submarine warfare operator 1st class. In today's navy it's Aviation Warfare Operator 1st class.I'm retired from it.  I've been playing board games since high school (early 70's) and computers games for about 10 years. I work in military/naval/aviation theme museums. As I'm married to an active duty Navy type, I move just about every two years. I've only been playing WITP/WPO since 2007. I'm a geezer in my own mind (I'm 52 going on 85). I have a tendency to support lost causes of the forum (but only on the forum) hence Dixie created my sig line. I live over looking Washington DC (but NOT in it). And I'm in the process of moving (again) to Omaha Nebraska. Fond of good food,drink,beer,reading, sailing, travel and kicking Japanese/Allied fanboy butt! (I'm an equal opportunity player).

For a good time call:     Yuri in NYC!   

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 6
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/6/2010 10:30:06 PM   
erstad

As of 2009, I have been married for 25 years, worked for the same company for 25 years (although I‘ve done many different things there), and been at my church for 25 years. All of these things are important to me. 1984 was a good year

I’m in my late 40’s, grew up playing the old SPI and Avalon Hill wargames. Kind of dropped out of the wargame scene until computer games came along. WitP is my only real PBEM game, rest are solitaire.

I have a wife, and two daughters, both now in college (one senior, one sophomore). So the house seems pretty empty these days. But it's fun to see them grown up (mostly...)

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 7
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/6/2010 11:24:24 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: erstad

As of 2009, I have been married for 25 years, worked for the same company for 25 years (although I‘ve done many different things there), and been at my church for 25 years. All of these things are important to me. 1984 was a good year

I’m in my late 40’s, grew up playing the old SPI and Avalon Hill wargames. Kind of dropped out of the wargame scene until computer games came along. WitP is my only real PBEM game, rest are solitaire.

I have a wife, and two daughters, both now in college (one senior, one sophomore). So the house seems pretty empty these days. But it's fun to see them grown up (mostly...)

Erstad, where in the midwest are you?

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 8
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 12:00:14 AM   
Big B

I know better to post after an afternoon glass of wine (watching the rain here in Orange Calif) but,
I started board war-gaming in grade school in the mid 1960's with the Milton Bradley American Heritage Series (Civil War, Dogfight, Broadside, Hit The Beach), then I saw a couple guys playing AH's "Battle Of The Bulge" (about 1965) and realized that actual complex (for my 5th grade age) were out there. So I soon got AH's "Jutland" (still have it), followed by "Panzer Blitz", "Panzer Leader", "Tobruk", "Arab Israeli Wars", "Squad Leader", eventually the entire SL series & ASL, and by 1972 I discovered SPI with "Phalanx" followed by (in no particular order) "Red Star White Star", "War in Europe", "War In The Pacific" (both monster games), and a host of others by several companies (including my first love AH) - "AH - Anzio", "AH - D-Day", "AH - King Maker", "AH - Midway", "AH - Guadalcanal", ...many more titles than I can remember.

B

< Message edited by Big B -- 3/7/2010 3:41:28 PM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 9
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 12:13:34 AM   
John Lansford

My first wargame was Panzer Leader back in the mid-70's, and from there I collected all the WWII AH boardgames I could get my hands on, including Squad Leader and all its components.  When the computer wargames like Battlecruiser, Warship and Harpoon came out I picked them up too.  I'm a civil engineer, been married for 25+ years and employed by the state for the same amount of time.  Thankfully I have a wife who understands my addiction to history and wargames!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 10
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 4:02:42 AM   
erstad

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Erstad, where in the midwest are you?

Depending on how specific an answer you're looking for:
Minnesota
Twin Cities
Minnetonka
Just north of Ridgedale.

Alternately, I'm northwest of Yamato Hugger and southwest of Chickenboy.

< Message edited by erstad -- 3/7/2010 4:03:06 AM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 11
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 4:30:13 AM   
Zeta16

Ok, I am the young guy in the crowd so far. I am 32 I started in on war games with the huge Pacific war board game, which me and dad set up on the ping pong tale and played a few a turns when he have up as it was to much work. I still have the game in my closet and have not played it since but have read the rules over and over. I found UV on the web and have been playing since. So the only war games I have played are UV, WiTP, and AE. You can see I am from Ohio and a real big OSU fan, Reds and Bengals as well. My user name is my Frat in College plus Brett Hull's number with St. Louis. I coach middle school football and run a inschool suspension room at the school. I am political science major and you can tell by my sig on what side I fall on.

"Ours was the first revolution in the history of mankind that truly reversed the course of government, and with three little words: 'We the people.' 'We the people' tell the government what to do, it doesn't tell us." -Ronald Reagan

(in reply to erstad)
Post #: 12
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 6:17:15 AM   
wdolson

I got my first wargame for Christmas when I was 5.  My father read a newspaper story about AH's Luftwaffe and got it for me for Christmas.  I was too young to really understand the rules, but I made up my own simplified rules and played it with friends.  Amazingly we didn't lose any counters.

Around age 11 or 12, I discovered other AH games and built a library of them through my teen years.  I haven't played any of them since college though.

My favorite was Flattop.  I had the Batteline version and then the AH updated release.  Even back in the early 1980s I was trying to figure out how to computerize the game.  The computing power to do it just wasn't affordable though.

I picked up a few computer titles as an adult and played solitaire.  I discovered UV a year or so after it was out and played that.  I loved it, but thought how cool it would be to have a full Pacific version, then Matrix released that too!  Next thing I know, I'm on the team to develop a major update to the thing.

I've lived all over the West Coast (grew up near East LA, went to college in Central CA, then Seattle, and now Portland).  I'm probably in the minority here that I've never been in the military.  I'm pretty sure I would have been 4F (terrible knees), so I didn't even try. 

My obsession is more about historical conflicts and equipment (I also built a lot of models as a kid and still have a large collection unbuilt).  When I worked at Boeing, employees got free entry to the 50th aniversary celebration of the B-29 at Boeing Field and it dawned on me walking around the displays with WW II aircraft as well as some newer Boeing aircraft that in my mind, the B-29 is a "new" airplane.  Hey, it came at the end of the war and was one of the most advanced aircraft to see combat.  I mentioned this to the friend I was with and he gave me the mothership look (that look people give you like you just stepped off an alien mothership).

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Zeta16)
Post #: 13
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 2:35:45 PM   
rockmedic109

Luftwaffe was my first wargame, too.  Santa brought it for me one year and this started a large AH and SPI collection. 

I am in my mid forties, quickly approaching my late forties.  I've been a Paramedic for over 20 years.  Me and my wife leave for China in a week and a half to pick up our daughter {we are adopting....yes we are insane}.  We will pick her up in Changsha. 

The moniker is from my unit number, job, and an incident with a rock.  I hit a rockslide on a mountain highway and ended up with major injuries that few thought I would survive.  This incident indirectly led to me and my beautiful wife getting together, so as painful as it was, there was a good side to it.  And the rock?  It is now in my front yard.  A reminder that not all bad incidents end purely bad and a reminder of what I can overcome.

Steve

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 14
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 4:11:13 PM   
sdevault

AW1Steve,

Why the move to Omaha?

I live in the Nebraska Panhandle. And that's about as interesting as I get 

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 15
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 4:50:04 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: sdevault

AW1Steve,

Why the move to Omaha?

I live in the Nebraska Panhandle. And that's about as interesting as I get 

Although I'm retired from the Navy , my spouse is just shy of retirement from the USN. Her "uncle" says GO!. So we go. And if anyone ever thought that the US Government lacked a sense of humor, consider this: They have just ordered a sailor to Nebraska!

(in reply to sdevault)
Post #: 16
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 4:53:37 PM   
sdevault

The USS Hazzard is the only ship in Omaha, but, the only water that touches it is falling from the skies...it's setup for display.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 17
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 4:56:07 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

The USS Hazzard is the only ship in Omaha, but, the only water that touches it is falling from the skies...it's setup for display.

So I've seen...but they also have a submarine , the SST Marlin!

Besides , it's an easy way to maintain a monument. The Japanese did it many years ago with Tog's flagship the Mikasa. I've been all over that ship and I don't think it takes away from it at all.

(in reply to sdevault)
Post #: 18
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 4:59:22 PM   
sdevault

Yes, at least there is something for a land locked kid to go see - pertaining to our nations' naval history. Omaha, and area, is big with AF history.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 19
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 5:03:25 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Yes, at least there is something for a land locked kid to go see - pertaining to our nations' naval history. Omaha, and area, is big with AF history.

Well a lot of it was made there . It's right up with ST. Louis,Dayton OH, Seattle WA and Hampton VA. A whole lot of USAAC-USAAF-USAF history!

(in reply to sdevault)
Post #: 20
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 5:08:16 PM   
sdevault

You'll love the zoo, SAC museum, food, and bars. But after that, you'll wonder how a place can have such high taxes and almost be bankrupt.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 21
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 5:15:12 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

You'll love the zoo, SAC museum, food, and bars. But after that, you'll wonder how a place can have such high taxes and almost be bankrupt.

Dude! I'm coming from DC and grew up in New England! Compared to those places , Omaha seems like Paradise! And before I lived here , I lived in Seattle! All things are relative. Besides, Forbes magazine listed Omaha as the best place to ride out the recession in!

(in reply to sdevault)
Post #: 22
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 5:22:56 PM   
sdevault

Well, coming from those places, and after you see the four attractions in the Big 'O'....Prepare to be bored!!!

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 5:28:01 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Well, coming from those places, and after you see the four attractions in the Big 'O'....Prepare to be bored!!!

Naw, there's much to do , places to explore and frinds to meet! And I've only got 2-3 years!
I've pretty much enjoyed anywhere the Navy has sent me. Every place has it's history,attractions and cusines. Once I get over the pain of moving (I will be hating life for the next few months!) I usually embrace with enthusism any new place. And all though I've driven through Omaha , I've never lived in the West. So I'm sure I'll be like a old dog with a bunch of new fire hydrants!

(in reply to sdevault)
Post #: 24
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 5:46:13 PM   
sdevault

Does she know where her work location in Omaha is?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 25
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 5:51:46 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Does she know where her work location in Omaha is?

Strategic Command at Offut AFB. In their JAG/Legal shop.

(in reply to sdevault)
Post #: 26
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 5:56:43 PM   
sdevault

OK, you'll find nice housing west of there. Offut is in a different county that Omaha, so the taxes are less, and that area has been booming with construction in recent years. Lots of new shops, bars, and such....My wife used to work near there.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 27
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 6:07:43 PM   
6971grunt

Interesting thread - usually don't do this, but seeing all of the varied stories, thought I'd add mine to the mix.

Began gaming in the early 60's with "D-Day" and I was hooked ever since. My brother and I would mow lawns in the summer to buy Avalon Hill games - "Guadalcanal", "Midway", "1914" [never a quick game] and so on. Also played SPI game then morfing into computer games.

Joined "The Corps" in 1969, and did my tour in the Republic of South Vietnam as an 0311 [infantry {grunt} - thus the "handle"] at one point under the command of then Capt. Anthony Zinni [now a retired LtGen]. "Retired" as a Lance Corporal of Marines.

I now work for the State Public Defender's Office on their forensic Trial Team [best gig ever]. I'm married with two grown daughters and soon to be a first-time grandfather [still wrapping my head around that one]. My wife knows that I love gaming and never complains about my hobby.

I don't believe I have ever enjoyed a PBEM like I have with WiTP and AE - although I have several of Matrix's games.

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 28
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/7/2010 11:13:07 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: grunt6971

Interesting thread - usually don't do this, but seeing all of the varied stories, thought I'd add mine to the mix.

Began gaming in the early 60's with "D-Day" and I was hooked ever since. My brother and I would mow lawns in the summer to buy Avalon Hill games - "Guadalcanal", "Midway", "1914" [never a quick game] and so on. Also played SPI game then morfing into computer games.

Joined "The Corps" in 1969, and did my tour in the Republic of South Vietnam as an 0311 [infantry {grunt} - thus the "handle"] at one point under the command of then Capt. Anthony Zinni [now a retired LtGen]. "Retired" as a Lance Corporal of Marines.

I now work for the State Public Defender's Office on their forensic Trial Team [best gig ever]. I'm married with two grown daughters and soon to be a first-time grandfather [still wrapping my head around that one]. My wife knows that I love gaming and never complains about my hobby.

I don't believe I have ever enjoyed a PBEM like I have with WiTP and AE - although I have several of Matrix's games.

For your time in Vietnam as a Marine , all I can say is

(in reply to 6971grunt)
Post #: 29
RE: So tell us a little about yourself! - 3/8/2010 8:29:08 PM   
6971grunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: grunt6971

For your time in Vietnam as a Marine , all I can say is

Thanks - you are very kind - and a salute back, my navy friend......

"Over?! It's not over until we say it's over. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!" John Blutarsky from the Movie "Animal House"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> So tell us a little about yourself! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI