Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Pacific (TV Show)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The Pacific (TV Show) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 7:45:32 AM   
jeffs

the Pacific version of Band of Brothers starts 3/14.
Got a good review in the NYTimes

http://tv.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/arts/television/12pacific.html?hpw

To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq
Post #: 1
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 8:33:09 AM   
Stelteck

Excellent news.

A shame that it is about ground troopers again like in Band of Brother. It would have been really interesting with pilots or sailors. 

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 2
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 11:22:01 AM   
jeffs

The Guadalcanal campaing would be great because it has all (land air sea)......

And for a while it was a nail biter

To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 3
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 11:46:54 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffs

the Pacific version of Band of Brothers starts 3/14.
Got a good review in the NYTimes

http://tv.nytimes.com/2010/03/12/arts/television/12pacific.html?hpw

Here it starts on HBO on 15th of March...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 4
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 11:58:54 AM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

Excellent news.

A shame that it is about ground troopers again like in Band of Brother. It would have been really interesting with pilots or sailors. 

Wasn't there a series on TV in the 70's starring Robert Conrad?

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 5
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 12:03:36 PM   
dorjun driver

Wild, Wild, Pacific Southwest?

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 6
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 12:04:17 PM   
mg62

Just finished reading the NY Times article and then saw this thread. The review is a good quick read. Looking forward to this coming out.

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 7
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 1:28:51 PM   
Lifer

If they can keep Tom Hanks off the airways trying to draw a parallel between the Japanese and Islamic terrorists.  After his statement, I wonder a bit if they won't try to inject a political message into the story line.

Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq

(in reply to mg62)
Post #: 8
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 1:49:55 PM   
LST Express

Looking forward to it, wish the first night was two hours instead of just one.

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 9
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 1:57:29 PM   
lolz

excellent news indeed

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 10
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 3:09:24 PM   
aciddrinker

I think many people waiting for this HBO mini series.
All trailers.
http://pacific.hbo.pl/

(in reply to lolz)
Post #: 11
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 3:09:35 PM   
Grotius

It got more of a mixed review in this week's "New Yorker" magazine. The review praised the documentary's enthusiasm for its subject, and it said the producers went to great lengths to portray their subject accurately. But the review also suggested that the series spent more time on ground troops than on the naval and air aspects of the war. It also mentioned that the battle for Pelileu was a highlight of the series, with several episodes at least touching on it. That's not necessarily bad, but I'm not sure it's a focus I'd have chosen.

Finally, the review mentioned something that might actually be a plus for those of us here: it said the documentary doesn't explain the wider campaign very well to viewers unfamiliar with the war in the Pacific. For us, that might mean the documentary doesn't waste time telling us stuff we already know.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

(in reply to lolz)
Post #: 12
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 3:16:41 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

quote:

Excellent news.

"Blacksheep Squadron" w/Conrad as "Pappy" Boyington, always at odds w/his superiors; it reminded me of an aerial version of "McHale's Navy," but the Corsairs were always great to watch.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 13
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 6:23:50 PM   
themetalcrow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

quote:

quote:

Excellent news.

"Blacksheep Squadron" w/Conrad as "Pappy" Boyington, always at odds w/his superiors; it reminded me of an aerial version of "McHale's Navy," but the Corsairs were always great to watch.

i actually own this series on dvd. it's called "baa baa black sheep" it's based on the experienced of that squadron from the south pacific. while it does have some drama, it is pretty slapstick at times. the focus is more on the silly stuff the members do at the base, and less about aerial combat or dogfighting.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 14
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 7:09:42 PM   
sfbaytf

Some of the original members of the Black Sheep Squadron were not too happy about the show. They felt it portraied them in a negative light.

The Pacific should be interesting. I don't have HBO, but will probably pay to see the show.

On another note for you naval gamers out there, HPS has released Midway by John Tiller. It's apparently very good with a strong AI. Although it's called Midway, it has all the major carrier battles plus a Pearl Harbor scenario. Also has a game editor. I just got it and will try it out this weekend.

(in reply to themetalcrow)
Post #: 15
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 9:13:14 PM   
Grotius

A good review of "The Pacific" in today's Washington Post, too. Looking forward to it.

(in reply to sfbaytf)
Post #: 16
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/12/2010 9:24:11 PM   
floydg

If you have HBO GO (Verizon FiOS, Comcast, maybe some others) [www.hbogo.com], they have some preview/background material available now.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 17
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 2:38:09 AM   
drw61

I don't have HBO so its in my Netflix queue for when it comes out on DVD.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 18
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 5:00:34 AM   
rmielech

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lifer

If they can keep Tom Hanks off the airways trying to draw a parallel between the Japanese and Islamic terrorists.  After his statement, I wonder a bit if they won't try to inject a political message into the story line.

If he's trying to imply there's some amount of racism involved in both, do you really want to pretend there wasn't and isn't? No racial profiling at all? Come on, now.

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 19
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 6:31:24 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

It got more of a mixed review in this week's "New Yorker" magazine. The review praised the documentary's enthusiasm for its subject, and it said the producers went to great lengths to portray their subject accurately. But the review also suggested that the series spent more time on ground troops than on the naval and air aspects of the war. It also mentioned that the battle for Pelileu was a highlight of the series, with several episodes at least touching on it. That's not necessarily bad, but I'm not sure it's a focus I'd have chosen.

Finally, the review mentioned something that might actually be a plus for those of us here: it said the documentary doesn't explain the wider campaign very well to viewers unfamiliar with the war in the Pacific. For us, that might mean the documentary doesn't waste time telling us stuff we already know.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it.

Documentary?

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 20
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 1:34:58 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

If not political, then philisophical.

From "A Fight to the Death" by Hugh Ambrose -- son of the late Stephen Ambrose -- in this week's Parade:

Since they couldn't win, the Japanese "killed soley for the sake of killing, without hope or higher purpose," but by matching their fanaticism, the Marines were losing their own humanity and peace of mind.

"America would win, but what would that victory look like"?

Ambrose concluded that by rebuilding Japan, we had also won the peace, but then he added that the US was once again "at war with an implacable enemy willing to fight o the death ..."

So Hanks isn't the only one drawing parallels in "The Pacific".

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 21
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 1:41:51 PM   
SuluSea

I watched all the profiles and prevues they had on demand and the show looks like it will be super. I can hardly wait I've been looking forward to it since it was announced they were filming it.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 22
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 3:05:58 PM   
Lifer

I just don't believe that the grunt on the ground during the fiercest of battles will wonder about his loss of humanity.  Reflection and what toll it took on his humanity comes during reflection and reliving of the horrors of combat.  My point, I guess, is that I wonder what message will try to be conveyed by the series in light of Hanks comments.  Trying to think back to Band of Brothers and I can't remember an underlying political message. 

Greg

Man does not enter battle to fight, but for victory. He does everything that he can to avoid the first and obtain the second.
Ardant du Picq

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 23
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 3:48:19 PM   
Misconduct

Long as "The Pacific" doesn't turn out like that piece of crap movie Pearl Ha*bor was, then I will probably enjoy it.

/yes I know I added a star in there, not saying full name of that P.O.S movie.

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 24
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 4:36:12 PM   
Grotius

quote:

Documentary?

You're right, it's mostly a work of fiction, but apparently there's a mini-documentary at the start of every episode. I should've called it a "movie" or "film," I guess.

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 25
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 5:16:56 PM   
Pascal_slith

quote:

quote:

Excellent news.

Baa Baa Black Sheep. Conrad plays Marine ace Pappy Boyington. The book is very interesting. The show was good entertainment, especially the 4-6 real Corsair fighters they used.

Sorry, answered before I saw John D.'s answer

< Message edited by Pascal -- 3/13/2010 5:23:01 PM >

So much WitP and so little time to play.... :-(

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 26
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 6:22:02 PM   
rmielech

quote:

Trying to think back to Band of Brothers and I can't remember an underlying political message. 

Greg

Every war movie I've ever seen has a political message. War is hell, especially on the guys and girls in the trenches and their loved ones. You don't spend time in hell without getting burned, so the horror continues for many as long as they live, even if it's in their own minds. That may be the worst of it in a lot of ways. We crunch numbers as wargamers, but it's a good idea to remember how abstracted it all is as we play. Grunts don't get to play at it.

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 27
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 6:22:06 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

I just don't believe that the grunt on the ground during the fiercest of battles will wonder about his loss of humanity.  Reflection and what toll it took on his humanity comes during reflection and reliving of the horrors of combat.  My point, I guess, is that I wonder what message will try to be conveyed by the series in light of Hanks comments.  Trying to think back to Band of Brothers and I can't remember an underlying political message ...

It was there, esp. during a BoB episode that featured the discovery of a German concentration camp.

As for the Ambrose article on "The Pacific," you can read it for yourself on-line at:

http://www.parade.com/news/2010/03/14-a-fight-to-the-death.html

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 28
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 6:50:12 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grotius

It also mentioned that the battle for Pelileu was a highlight of the series, with several episodes at least touching on it. That's not necessarily bad, but I'm not sure it's a focus I'd have chosen.

I think it's because of artist Tom Lea, and his iconic paintings and sketches from Peleliu. One of the TV promos shows a young marine stumbling along, and his face is the video equivalent of Lea's "Two Thousand Yard Stare":

http://www.ordinary-gentlemen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/2000yardstare-lg.jpg

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 29
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/13/2010 7:39:39 PM   
Lifer

My screen name comes from the saying, "I'm no lifer, I'm going to do my four years and get the @#$% out." Being called a lifer was an insult my first enlistment. Retired in 2003 so the term became sort of a joke among those who were in for a career. My son and daughter (both grown btw) still have the postcards I sent written on the cardboard sleeves from the covers of MRE food from Iraq.

Maybe I'm just taking it the wrong way but don't assume that everyone here pushes around bits and bytes and pretends they know what war is like. Many of the posters here have - Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and sent the postcards.

Greg

Ardant du Picq

(in reply to rmielech)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The Pacific (TV Show) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI