Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: NEW SHIP ART

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: NEW SHIP ART Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NEW SHIP ART - 1/25/2011 4:36:36 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea
I've been anticipating these for quite some time Kelley thanks for the pre release pictures. Did you guys do the entire pre war USN BBs with camo? If you get the chance before release seeing them would be a blast.

Looking forward to "other stuff on the way" as the APAs look sharp.

Of course I'm in favor of getting these asap!!

Thanks!!!

Me too !! I'm especially impressed at how ya'll did the dazzle schemes without significantly impacting the ship detail. Damn ! you guys are good !

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 571
RE: NEW SHIP ART - 1/25/2011 5:42:55 PM   
Big B

Yes, except Pennsylvania, sources indicate she wore measure 21 sea blue for her career after PH.
quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

.... Did you guys do the entire pre war USN BBs with camo?

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 572
RE: NEW PT BOATS - 1/28/2011 1:06:01 AM   
Big B

While we are waiting for details to get sorted out - I thought I'd share some more art
These are new PT Boats...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 573
RE: NEW PT BOATS - 1/28/2011 3:38:35 AM   
Big B

While we wait for details to be sorted out, here is an example of "Optional" ships. or, "Ships That Never Were" to now be available...

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 574
RE: NEW SHIP ART - 1/28/2011 6:16:15 AM   
Tracy White

For what it's worth, I'm the webmaster for ShipCamouflage and am researching USN camouflage. The 1945 Navy Gray may not be as much of a factor due to supply chains.... I'm fairly certain Pennsylvania was in Navy Gray but a ship that was overhauled at a forward base even in the summer time might have been repainted in Navy Blue. It's an area that still needs to be researched.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 575
RE: NEW SHIP ART - 1/28/2011 6:57:03 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bane

This is a truly inspirational and outstanding community! Everyone's dedication and commitment is a testament to everyone - bravo and mahalos!

Aloha a hui hoi!

+1

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Bane)
Post #: 576
RE: NEW SHIP ART - 1/28/2011 7:55:19 PM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tracy White

For what it's worth, I'm the webmaster for ShipCamouflage and am researching USN camouflage. The 1945 Navy Gray may not be as much of a factor due to supply chains.... I'm fairly certain Pennsylvania was in Navy Gray but a ship that was overhauled at a forward base even in the summer time might have been repainted in Navy Blue. It's an area that still needs to be researched.

Hello, Tracy. Just wanted to say that some of us ship art guys have used your site's invaluable information over several years now and appreciate your research and the amount of work you have put into it. Thanks again for the information regarding the civilian merchants.

Kelley

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Tracy White)
Post #: 577
RE: NEW SHIP ART - 1/28/2011 8:16:15 PM   
Tracy White

It's always nice to see things like this to know that we have a broader impact than "just" a few model builders here and there. It was amazing to me when I started to help Randy with just the web code how much is either unknown or falsely known!

By the way, in case you didn't notice, we have a page on the Haskel Class APAs:
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/haskell_class.htm

I have one started on the early APDs as well, if you think it'd be useful let me know.

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 578
RE: NEW SHIP ART - 1/29/2011 1:34:12 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

By the way, in case you didn't notice, we have a page on the Haskel Class APAs:
http://www.shipcamouflage.com/haskell_class.htm

I have one started on the early APDs as well, if you think it'd be useful let me know.

Yes!!!! This is awesome information! As you may have noticed, the ship art for this game is based on class, but there is also the option to add additional classes to get down to ship specific. There have been many on this forum who have referenced your site in their posts from time to time, and hold us artist to a high standard in depicting the ship art in an accurate fashion. I guess most of us here are anal about this stuff, but that is a good thing in my opinion! We, or I know that, I have been using your info to create replacement art for this game back to the times of the original War In The Pacific game. In the current mod that me and another WITP-AE artist named "Big B" have been working on have tried to correctly mirror your information along with the dazzle schemes plates that have been posted on the Naval Archive site. But, we use your information that you have researched as the "Bible" sort-to-speak.

quote:

It's always nice to see things like this to know that we have a broader impact than "just" a few model builders here and there. It was amazing to me when I started to help Randy with just the web code how much is either unknown or falsely known!

Well, don't cut yourself short. I don't think it is just a few modelers, but many who are like me who don't post alot or none at all, but fevershly keep up with all of your latest information. I do build ships - mainly 350 scale, but my 700 scale to-do list is growing! I also do 1/48 aircraft and 1/35 armor so I am all over the place!!!!

So yes, you have a very much broader impact than you think!!!
Hope you can become a regular poster here to make sure we stay on track, but I know that you have to keep up with many other forums and have continuing research to accomplish, but you're suggestions here are very welcome.

Still waiting on the final outcome of the BB line at Pearl on Dec 7th! Thankfully, that has not been a point of aggressive attention here. However, I did do all of the BB line in sea-blue for this mod class-wise, so if I'm wrong, please correct me.

Kelley

< Message edited by TOMLABEL -- 1/29/2011 1:53:18 AM >

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to Tracy White)
Post #: 579
Rotating Ship Art Display Tool - 1/29/2011 10:07:51 AM   
Reg

I have put together this Rotating Ship Art Display Tool which I hope you find it useful in developing Rotating Ship Art distributions (hint, hint )

The trouble with revolving artwork is normally you can never see it in it's entirety and often the progression
sequence is not obvious. Usually as there is too much artwork to post as an index and in-game you can only see
the artwork which is currently active.

This tool scans the game rotating art folders for all installed artwork and hopefully displays it in a meaningful
manner. Because you are displaying the game artwork you don't need a second copy of the artwork for indexing
purposes. It should also be useful for verifying what artwork is attached to each slot and for finding holes in
your artwork distributions.

This tool should also be handy for the non-artists who just want to browse and see what artwork they have
installed and what it actually depicts without having to wade through the encyclopedia one item at a time.

The screen shot below has the output of an as yet unreleased artwork set listing tool in the center of the screen
and the web browser in the background displaying the same fictitious artwork as installed in the game folders.
(Note I am not a ship artist and have just made up some test images for this exercise). However, hopefully the
progression of the images in relation to the ship classes should be obvious. The 'Year' columns (in yellow) are
always present but the 'Month' columns are added as required by the installed artwork.

As the data is drawn from the scenario files, any changes you make in a custom mod (such as additional classes)
will also be reflected in this tool.

Aircraft revolving art will be next and then I will be rolling out the revolving art utilities along with the Art
display tools as an integrated package.

Any comments will be gratefully accepted.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Reg -- 1/29/2011 11:24:32 PM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 580
RE: Rotating Ship Art Display Tool - 1/29/2011 10:43:52 AM   
Reg

This post contains the Installed Rotating Ship Artwork Display Tool - Beta Version 0.4.

This tool generates a HTML file which can be viewed on any web browser.

Installation:
Just unzip into a convenient folder somewhere.

Instructions:
* Double click on the icon and it will open a DOS window.
* Enter a path to the WITP-AE Game folder when prompted. This path can be absolute (starting at C:) or relative to the folder the script is located in.
* Enter the other prompts as requested (defaults are displayed).
* Be patient as generation may take a while....
* Open the generated .htm file if it didn't automatically load into Explorer. (It will be in the same folder as the script). Feel free to use your choice of Web Browser.
* Have fun

Note you may need some patience with this tool but bear with it, it will get there.
MSDOS, despite it's name runs disk access operations very slowly under windows... I found that accessing the same files with a windows program (ie refreshing the browser window) actually sped up the MSDOS file operations by a significant margin - by cacheing the disk file contents I assume. MSDOS isn't the greatest tool for this job but I used it as everyone has it installed on their computers.
The other issue is that the utility scans the game directories looking for all possible files. Unfortunately in computing terms a failed search is a most inefficient algorithm as all possible possibilities must be exhausted before the search can be declared a failure. There are a lot of files that this tool will fail to find.

However, you do not need to generate a HTML file every time you check your artwork files. Just save/rename the output HTML file and keep it for future use. I included a datestamp in the file for this purpose. If you use the include missing artwork links option, any new artwork you drop into the game folders will just appear in your browser without any need to regenerate the HTML file.

Download from this post for historical reasons only...

Edit: The above utilities have been integrated into the WITP-AE Revolving Bitmap Distribution Manager V1.6 available from here...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Reg -- 3/7/2015 4:53:04 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 581
RE: NEW SHIP ART - 1/29/2011 10:37:08 PM   
Tracy White

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABELHowever, I did do all of the BB line in sea-blue for this mod class-wise, so if I'm wrong, please correct me.

It's too early to tell at this point.... there's just too much conflicting data and lack of finality. I'm hoping to do a trip to DC this fall to see if I can at least have some good progress or closure by the 70th .....

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 582
RE: Rotating Ship Art Display Tool - 1/30/2011 4:38:23 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

This post contains the Installed Rotating Ship Artwork Display Tool - Beta Version 0.4.

Wow! Thank you Reg! This looks like it will come in very handy!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 583
Rotating Aircraft Art Display Tool - 1/30/2011 7:59:49 AM   
Reg

After having a rather productive weekend I have also put together this Rotating Aircraft Art Display Tool which
I hope you find useful as well.

The trouble with revolving artwork is normally you can never see it in it's entirety and often the progression
sequence is not obvious. Usually as there is too much artwork to post as an index and in-game you can only see
the artwork which is currently active.

This tool scans the game rotating art folders for all installed artwork and hopefully displays it in a meaningful
manner. Because you are displaying the game artwork you don't need a second copy of the artwork for indexing
purposes. It should also be useful for verifying what artwork is attached to each slot and for finding holes in
your artwork distributions.

This tool should also be handy for the non-artists who just want to browse and see what artwork they have
installed and what it actually depicts without having to wade through the encyclopedia one item at a time.
You will now be able to see everything included in those rotating art downloads.

The screen shot below is from my rotating art distributions. Note that artwork on the left remains active until
over-ridden by other artwork further right. Hopefully the progression of the images in relation to the
aircraft should be obvious. The 'Year' columns (in yellow) are always present but the 'Month' columns are
added as required by the installed artwork. Note that the images in the default column (which is different from
the ship artwork) are from the A/J_PlaneSide.bmp and A/Jptop.bmp files.... This required a bit of extra effort
to extract but I think it was worth it to give the starting image for the rotating artwork.

As the data is drawn from the scenario files, any changes you make in a custom mod (such as additional aircraft)
will also be reflected in this tool.

I think I will take a break for a few days and come back to tidy up some loose ends and integrate these all these
utilities into a single package (will still be MSDOS but will have a menu system...)

Please have a play and all comments will be gratefully accepted.

The index to the Aircraft Rotating Art is is here....

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Reg -- 1/30/2011 9:12:27 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 584
Rotating Aircraft Art Display Tool V0.4 - 1/30/2011 8:16:07 AM   
Reg

This post contains the Installed Rotating Aircraft Artwork Display Tool - Beta Version 0.4.

This tool generates a HTML file which can be viewed on any web browser.

Installation:
Just unzip into a convenient folder somewhere.

(Note there is a second file with this distribution (Bit_Mask.txt) which must be in the same folder as the main .bat file.)

Instructions:
* Double click on the icon and it will open a DOS window.
* Enter a path to the WITP-AE Game folder when prompted. This path can be absolute (starting at C:) or relative to the folder the script is located in.
* Enter the other prompts as requested (defaults are displayed).
* Be patient as generation may take a while....
* Open the generated .htm file if it didn't automatically load into Explorer. (It will be in the same folder as the script). Feel free to use your choice of Web Browser.
* Have fun

Note you may need some patience with this tool but bear with it, it will get there.
Once again this may run a bit slowly due to MSDOS slow file access times(?). Once you start accessing files recursively (ie accessing files in every column from every row), execution time increases exponentially. I have included a data file (containing the definitions to extract the default images) to save time in generating this data. Hang in there, it's worth the wait.

However, you do not need to generate a HTML file every time you check your artwork files. Just save/rename the output HTML file and keep it for future use. I included a datestamp in the file for this purpose. If you use the include missing artwork links option, any new artwork you drop into the game folders will just appear in your browser without any need to regenerate the HTML file.

Download from this post for historical reasons only...

Edit: The above utilities have been integrated into the WITP-AE Revolving Bitmap Distribution Manager V1.6 available from here...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Reg -- 3/7/2015 4:52:16 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 585
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/13/2011 9:03:52 PM   
Big B

Hi All,
Ok, here's the haps'...before ship-art can be released - it seriously needs a new surface combat screen. The original does not work at all to ship art advantage (which is why there are all those irritable light shadows on the edges, oddly enogh - it's not so visible on the air-sea screen).
So we are working feverishly on a new surface combat screen that will show ALL ship art to better advantage in-game.
There are two examples with the new screen - the first is the main phase of Savo Island, the second is the main phase of the Battle off Samar (both with liberties) on the new screen.

ALL comments - positive and HARSH are welcome...and needed to get this guy going.
Thank you,
B

Below Savo Island;

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 586
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/13/2011 9:04:36 PM   
Big B

And second - The Battle Off Samar;

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 587
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/13/2011 9:11:48 PM   
cantona2

Looks great, release now 

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 588
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/13/2011 10:33:33 PM   
Big B

Well cantona2 - you's may be the one and only deciding vote!
quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Looks great, release now 

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 589
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/13/2011 10:42:49 PM   
Nomad

Fantastic, release it.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 590
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/14/2011 12:56:12 AM   
BigDuke66

Looks really great!
I just started a game so is there only one screen for all surface combat?
No other screens that take time(day vs. night) or place(deep vs. sallow ocean) into calculation?

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 591
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/14/2011 1:07:45 AM   
Big B

I am afraid that at present the engine does not allow for separate day/night screens - but that would be wild wouldn't it?!

For now though, until Matrix makes a patch, we have only one screen...

But thank you very much...

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Looks really great!
No other screens that take time(day vs. night) or place(deep vs. sallow ocean) into calculation?

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 592
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/14/2011 1:59:44 AM   
Big B

On a side note - that would make a whole lot more work for us artists... but to have day and night screens - I would do it!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

I am afraid that at present the engine does not allow for separate day/night screens - but that would be wild wouldn't it?!

For now though, until Matrix makes a patch, we have only one screen...

But thank you very much...

quote:

Looks really great!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 593
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/14/2011 2:53:12 AM   
BigDuke66

quote:

On a side note - that would make a whole lot more work for us artists... but to have day and night screens - I would do it!

I guess you mean every ship art would have to be turned darker to fit the darker layout of the night screen.
I don't have a clue of the graphic engine used but couldn't some kind of filter/overlay etc. put above the complete screen(background/ship art/animations)? In that way you wouldn't need to change any art.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 594
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/14/2011 3:00:17 AM   
Big B

As the game engine works now - yes everything...and I mean everything - would have to be (or rather - should be) retouched to be right...
And in all humility - not many outside moi would probably be able to do it justice ...on the other hand, the hero I am searching for may be out there to do it all...

quote:

quote:

I guess you mean every ship art would have to be turned darker to fit the darker layout of the night screen.
I don't have a clue of the graphic engine used but couldn't some kind of filter/overlay etc. put above the complete screen(background/ship art/animations)? In that way you wouldn't need to change any art.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 595
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/15/2011 12:18:42 AM   
eloso

quote:

Couldn't a pair of sunglass suffice as a work around?

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 596
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/17/2011 2:23:43 AM   
BigDuke66

Big thanks to everyone here, that extra chrome is really marvelous.
I went thru the whole thread and downloaded everything and found some things that look strange:

@Dixie
There is a file in one zip called LCUntitled.png is that used by the game?

@Halsey
There are some files too were I wonder if the game engines uses them at all:
IJAAF Recon.bmp
IJAAF.bmp
IJNAF Patrol.bmp
IJNAF.bmp
USN Flight wings.bmp
ussr bomber.bmp
ussr fighter.bmp
ussr naval air.bmp
LCU_AUS.bmp
LCU_BR.bmp
LCU_BU.bmp
LCU_CA.bmp
LCU_DU.bmp
LCU_FR.bmp
LCU_IJ.bmp
LCU_IJA.bmp
LCU_IN.bmp
LCU_NZ.bmp
LCU_PI.bmp
LCU_PRC.bmp
LCU_ROC.bmp
LCU_RTA.bmp
LCU_US.bmp
LCU_USSR.bmp

@Lesbaker
Again a file were I wonder if it will be used:
AMP.bmp
And one seem to have a typo:
SHP4288.bmp

@Smeulders
Another one:
France Libre60.bmp

@TOMLABEL
Another one:
SHP_RANGER CV4.bmp

Altogether I can only advise to put the files into the appropriate directory (AlliedPatch or JapPatch) so players can be sure to where the files belong as it is not always so clear because either no readme is provided or the zip filename is shortened by the board and can't really help identifying the pack.
As far as I can see only Tone made one, Halsey 790 & Reg 547 Japanese Patches, is that correct?

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 2/17/2011 7:08:34 PM >

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 597
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/17/2011 3:33:42 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

@TOMLABEL
Another one:
SHP_RANGER CV4.bmp

Man you have some GOOD eyes!!!! No, the RANGER was added in the case that modders wanted to add the carrier RANGER to their mod of a particular scenario. Since it is not included in stock, I could not give it a "valid" name. It will not affect stock games as it (as it stands now) an invalid file name. But if you want to add it to your scenario database, then you can connect it to whatever slot you create the RANGER in.

Hope this explains it. If not, beat on my door again!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 598
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/17/2011 8:38:47 PM   
Halsey

quote:

@Halsey
There are some files too were I wonder if the game engines uses them at all:

IJAAF Recon.bmp
IJAAF.bmp
IJNAF Patrol.bmp
IJNAF.bmp
USN Flight wings.bmp
ussr bomber.bmp
ussr fighter.bmp
ussr naval air.bmp
LCU_AUS.bmp
LCU_BR.bmp
LCU_BU.bmp
LCU_CA.bmp
LCU_DU.bmp
LCU_FR.bmp
LCU_IJ.bmp
LCU_IJA.bmp
LCU_IN.bmp
LCU_NZ.bmp
LCU_PI.bmp
LCU_PRC.bmp
LCU_ROC.bmp
LCU_RTA.bmp
LCU_US.bmp
LCU_USSR.bmp

These are generic bitmap holders that can be used by any player by renaming them to that type or country.
A do it yourself kit.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 599
RE: New Screen for Surface Combat - 2/18/2011 10:53:08 PM   
BigDuke66

Well the Japanese side seem to lack a lot chrome and I wonder if the LCUs & Ships could us something else as they don't seem to have real patches.
For the LCUs I looked into wikipedia and saw that a lot of them had call signs for example the 1st Infantry Divisions call sign was the "Jade Division" I wonder if something could be made out of this.
For the ships I couldn't find anything but maybe the Navy used some kind of short designation(number, symbol, etc.) that could be used.

In case any designer of patches wants to look over his work I would recommend to look at 3 points:

1. Let out generic patches(this goes mainly to Lesbaker & Reg) as there isn't much sense in bring in hundreds or thousands of identical patches, especially as one thinks the gap is closed only to find that it's closed by a generic patch, either the real or no patch would be better.

2. The patch should be used that was used when the ship, LCU or Airgroup enters or re-enters the theater, this goes mainly to the ships/subs as I saw some sub patches that had markings for sinking ships on it but as the player writes his on war so these patches are simply "wrong" for his storyline.

3. Use 70x70, some patches have rather "complicated" look and it's hard to see what is depicted on it so shrinking it even further is no help at all. For my taste even 70x70 is too small and I wouldn't have minded something above 100x100 but well we got to work with the room we have.

< Message edited by BigDuke66 -- 2/18/2011 11:10:00 PM >

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: NEW SHIP ART Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI