Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler - 4/8/2010 8:25:37 PM   
Halsey

NO no no...

Stay focused on the LCU and Airgroup patches, first.
These I see almost every turn.

Then the extra bombardment screens.

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 91
RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler - 4/9/2010 1:11:41 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

NO no no...

Stay focused on the LCU and Airgroup patches, first.
These I see almost every turn.

Then the extra bombardment screens.

Actually, I'd like to see some more USN ship emblems myself.......

Attachment (1)

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 92
RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler - 4/9/2010 1:58:20 AM   
TOMLABEL

For some reason, I can't get them to look right like Dixie can. I'd better stick with ship art.

Anyways.......ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachment (1)

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 93
RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler - 4/9/2010 4:21:16 AM   
Cathartes

quote:

For some reason, I can't get them to look right like Dixie can. I'd better stick with ship art.

Ahem... I 'll trade you some plane tops for some ship camo schemes.

< Message edited by Cathartes -- 4/9/2010 4:22:02 AM >

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 94
RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler - 4/9/2010 11:28:48 PM   
Big B

On behalf of Tom and I, I think we may have some trade material to make a deal...how close are you to finishing?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cathartes

quote:

Ahem... I 'll trade you some plane tops for some ship camo schemes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 95
RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler - 4/10/2010 1:40:05 AM   
NAVMAN

Hi All:I have been surprised at how much "spice" the unit crests/patches add to the game. Equally nice
is how the aircraft markings evolve over time. Can any of these items be modified for WITP use?
Also, are there any USN ship crests available? One thing I have noticed is that a component regiment of, say,
1st Marine Div will not show the patch. If the component units do combine, the patch is shown. Would it be possible to have a div patches for ea regiment, giving ea rgt patch the game id that corresponds to the
unit so the div patch is shown for ea rgt? Thx for all your effort on this!

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 96
RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler - 4/10/2010 3:31:59 AM   
Halsey

I'm going through withdrawl guys...

I need a fix...

Yes, I admit that I'm patches addict, and I'm proud of it.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 97
RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler - 4/10/2010 6:08:01 AM   
Reg

quote:

ORIGINAL: NAVMAN

Hi All:I have been surprised at how much "spice" the unit crests/patches add to the game. Equally nice
is how the aircraft markings evolve over time. Can any of these items be modified for WITP use?

The aircraft side art I am reformatting actually came from WITP!!!

A while ago, Cathartes released a set of A_PlaneSide.bmp files that reflected the changing aircraft markings and camo schemes over time. Unfortunately the WITP game mechanics don't support this (unlike AE) so you have to manually change over the art files on the appropriate dates.

These files are still available at Cathartes Accurate Air Site

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to NAVMAN)
Post #: 98
Guadalcanal Scenario Rotating Allied Aircraft SideArt Pack - 4/10/2010 9:28:30 AM   
Reg

Guadalcanal Scenario Rotating Allied Aircraft SideArt Pack
==========================================================

This pack contains a complete set of the Aircraft sideart of all Allied types included in the WITP-AE standard Scenario 4 - Guadalcanal. This artwork is automatically rotated based on date by the game engine.

There is starting to be so much art included now so I will not be including a graphical index of the pack contents. However you get an idea as to what is included from the posts above.

Set001: USN: F4F-3, F4F-3A, F4F-4, OS2U-3, PB2Y-3, PBM-3D, PBY-4, PBY-5, PBY-5A, SB2U-3, SBD-3, SBD-5, SOC-1, TBD-1, TBF-1 and TBF-1C.

Set002: US Army: A-20A, B-17E, B-24D, B-26, F-4, F-5A, P-39D, P-40E, P-40O. USN: F4F-3P. RAAF: Beaufort V, Beaufort VIII, Beaufighter IC, Boston I, Catalina I, Kittyhawk IA & Wirraway. The Walrus II uses default art throughout.

So What's Different This time???
--------------------------------

When the artwork is installed as per Matrix instructions, there are multiple copies of the artwork files in the various folders. This greatly increases the download size so I have devloped some MS-DOS scripts which construct the proper artwork file distribution from a single set of master files. There is a manual included which describes the tool.

Once the file distribution is created, it can be copied over into the game art folder.

Installation Instructions

I am going to include a minimal set of instructions for those who don't know much about DOS but just want to install a distribution. Those who know more about DOS should be able to work the rest out with help from the included manual.

(For the ininitiated ".\" in a path name is DOS speak for the current directory and "..\" is for the parent (higher) directory)

1. Download the file below and unzip to any convienient temporary location (The desktop will work...).

2. Open the folder you just unzipped called "Guadalcanal_Artset" in Windows explorer. In there you will find some MS-DOS batch files (.bat), a manual and two sets of distribution config files. You will also find a folder with the master images and an empty folder for the new artwork distribution you are about to create.

3. Double click on the file "build-dist.bat".

4. Press "Enter" key to accept the default source path to folder MSTR_IMG which can be found in the current folder.

5. Press "Enter" key to accept the default destination path to folder DISTRIB which can be found in the current folder.

6. Type "Set001_Early_USN" and press "Enter" key when prompted for the File Set.

7. The following message should be displayed. If not type "N" and repeat from step 1.

quote:

Selected path to image respository is : .\MSTR_IMG
Selected relative path to distribution is: .\DISTRIB

Fileset Description: Early USN Demonstration Set
------------------------------------------------
<<some more text>>

8. If the above message is displayed, type "Y" and press "Enter" to continue.

9. Text will flash across the screen (probably too fast for you to see but they should be a lot of file copied messages..). The program will terminate and the DOS window will close!!

10. Repeat steps 1 to 5 to process the second set of sideart.

11. Repeat step 6 but when prompted, type the following line: "Set002_Guadal_Rest"

12. This should produce the following output on the screen:

quote:

Selected path to image respository is : .\MSTR_IMG
Selected relative path to distribution is: .\DISTRIB

Fileset Description: Guadacanal - The Rest of the Art!!
-------------------------------------------------------
<<some more text>>

13. Repeat steps 8 to 9.

14. The DISTRIB folder should now contain a folder called "art" and inside this should be a number of AlliedPlanes and JapPlanes folders. Copy all these files over into your game "art" folder.

15. All done!!

To verify correct installation:

1. Load the Coral Sea scenario and check the Wildcat aircraft side image, either by opening a carrier airgroup or looking up F4F-3 in the encyclopedia. Note the image. As this scenario is May'42, the displayed image should be the default image with red and white rudder stripes.

2. Load the Guadalcanal scenario and check the Wildcat aircraft side image, either by opening a carrier airgroup or looking up F4F-3 in the encyclopedia. As this scenario is Aug'42, the displayed image should be the updated image without the red and white rudder stripes.

I am very keen on the feedback on whether you find this tool too hard to use or whether you would just like the files distributed just as a pre-formatted zip file. (They will be large..)

==================================================
THIS DOWNLOAD IS NOW OBSOLETE!!!

Please use the index to the rest of the Aircraft Rotating Art here.... to locate the latest version of this Rotating Artwork Set.
==================================================

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Reg -- 10/7/2010 9:33:21 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 99
RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler - 4/10/2010 10:48:03 AM   
cantona2

Id just like to repeat my earlier thanks to all you modders as these little pieces of chrome make the game more immersive. Thanks a bunch and cant wait for your products, a virtual drink to you all on me. Triple ration of grog for Dixie!

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 100
RE: Guadalcanal Scenario Rotating Allied Aircraft SideA... - 4/10/2010 1:42:09 PM   
eloso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

I am very keen on the feedback on whether you find this tool too hard to use or whether you would just like the files distributed just as a pre-formatted zip file. (They will be large..)

Instructions are easy enough to understand.

The batch files work fine.

Unpacked, the total size of the distributed files is just over 3 mb. Just for grins I zipped up the files and it was about 1.25 mb.

If 3 mb is a 'large' file in this day and age, then perhaps you need to find a new form of entertainment other than the internet.

Personally, I think you did a lot of extra work to accommodate a few people unfortunate enough to be stuck on a 56 k modem or lower.

~just my two cents...

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 101
RE: Guadalcanal Scenario Rotating Allied Aircraft SideA... - 4/10/2010 4:34:18 PM   
Halsey

Thanks Reg.

I've been using these for the campaign, so I use the dated folders only.

BTW, once a paint scheme remains the same due to a plane going out of production.
Do you need to keep updating the file for each folder date?

Might cut down on the repetitive schemes once a paint scheme becomes static, or outdated.

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 102
RE: Guadalcanal Scenario Rotating Allied Aircraft SideA... - 4/10/2010 7:35:57 PM   
NAVMAN

Hi Reg: Thx for your reply re:compatability with WITP. Can you elaborate on what you meant by having
to change the dates manually? Also, appreciate your latest post re:Guadalcanal aircraft. It's been a long
time since I played around with DOS. Thx again.
Navman

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 103
RE: Guadalcanal Scenario Rotating Allied Aircraft SideA... - 4/11/2010 12:35:12 AM   
Reg

Thanks for the replies guys.

Keep them coming...

quote:

ORIGINAL: OSO

Unpacked, the total size of the distributed files is just over 3 mb. Just for grins I zipped up the files and it was about 1.25 mb.

If 3 mb is a 'large' file in this day and age, then perhaps you need to find a new form of entertainment other than the internet.

Personally, I think you did a lot of extra work to accommodate a few people unfortunate enough to be stuck on a 56 k modem or lower.

This distribution only consists of the side art for about 32 aircraft which is a very small subset of the total number of aircraft in the game. If/when the entire collection is reformatted, the filesize is likely to be about three times the current artwork filesize (~40MB).

Though this isn't a large file as general internet downloads go, it is definitely larger than the Matrix forums attachment file size limit.

What I was after with my request was whether this method of distribution works or whether it is too complicated for some members who aren't computer savvy.

Including this utility will also help others to make up their own rotating artwork sets.

Either way, someone is going to have to run this utility to format the artwork (it's too time consuming and prone to error to do it manually). The only question is whether I do it before distribution or whether the user does it during installation.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey:

I've been using these for the campaign, so I use the dated folders only.

BTW, once a paint scheme remains the same due to a plane going out of production.
Do you need to keep updating the file for each folder date?

Might cut down on the repetitive schemes once a paint scheme becomes static, or outdated.

If you read the document by MichaelM in the first post of this thread, you will see that if you don't put an updated image in the later folders, then the active image will revert to the default image.

For instance, the Vindicator went out of production in '41, and out of service in '42. However, to allow for the case where players still have Vindicators in service in 43 or later , you have to put the Jun'42 image in the 43,44, and 45 folders otherwise the active image will revert back to the red & white stripes of the default artwork during those years.

It also makes the whole process of setting up the distribution less complicated if you treat all artwork the same.

quote:

ORIGINAL: NavMan:

Thx for your reply re:compatability with WITP. Can you elaborate on what you meant by having
to change the dates manually?

If you download and have a look at Cathartes Accurate Air Packs you will see that they each contain a single file (A_Planesides.bmp) which is a replacement for the Allied aircraft side art file that is located in the WITP Art folder.

Each of these side art files contains the aircraft markings and colour schemes which are historically accurate for that specific period, (ie Pack 1 is valid for December 1941 - February 1942, Pack 2 for March 1942 - May 1942 etc). There is also a readme file in each pack which gives you the background information about each period.

However once your game time moves into the next period (ie 01 March 1942), you have to manually replace the current A_Planesides.bmp file in the game art folder with the one from the next pack. This can be quite a chore if you are running several games at once and they are at different dates... They all have the same name which makes the process a bit more tricky. Admirals Edition is a huge improvement as it loads the appropriate art automatically if the files are installed correctly.

The JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler (JSGME) recommended by Cathartes is a graphical utility that allows the files to be swapped with the click of a single button but you still have to remember to do it. This is a great little utility and I use it all the time for other mods as well. Definitely recommended.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Reg -- 4/11/2010 1:49:52 AM >

Cheers,
Reg.

(in reply to NAVMAN)
Post #: 104
RE: Guadalcanal Scenario Rotating Allied Aircraft SideA... - 4/11/2010 3:06:29 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Reg

If you read the document by MichaelM in the first post of this thread, you will see that if you don't put an updated image in the later folders, then the active image will revert to the default image.

For instance, the Vindicator went out of production in '41, and out of service in '42. However, to allow for the case where players still have Vindicators in service in 43 or later , you have to put the Jun'42 image in the 43,44, and 45 folders otherwise the active image will revert back to the red & white stripes of the default artwork during those years.

It also makes the whole process of setting up the distribution less complicated if you treat all artwork the same.

EXCELLENT Reg!!! I have tested this extensively before it was released. I had set up folders for the entire campaign (but still working on it since there are sooooo many US camo/national insignia changes througout the war!!!) However, all seems to work well.

You have got the system down absoulutely correct!!! Please continue!!!!!!!

Art by the Rogue-USMC

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 105
RE: Guadalcanal Scenario Rotating Allied Aircraft SideA... - 4/11/2010 2:35:43 PM   
eloso

I hadn't thought about being restricted to the forum. No one will host the art for you?

I thought the batch files were easy to use but others might be intimidated. In that case you could look into this gui driven application:

Click team

(in reply to Reg)
Post #: 106
RE: Guadalcanal Scenario Rotating Allied Aircraft SideA... - 4/12/2010 12:24:52 AM   
NAVMAN

Hi Reg: Thx for your explaination Re: Witp air artwork. I'll try it. The batch file you set up ran perfectly.
Regards,
Navman

(in reply to eloso)
Post #: 107
RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler - 4/13/2010 8:36:25 PM   
Halsey

Patiently waiting for more...

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 108
RE: Art mods - 4/16/2010 10:35:09 PM   
Halsey

Thanks for the sticky...

Here's my contribution, so far...
India Command
Ceylon Command
Pacific Ocean Command
SW Pac Command
25th Div
Merrill's
6th Ranger
7th Arm Bde
East and West African Divs
Some Brit Divs + some missing Div patches from previous releases.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 109
RE: Art mods - 4/17/2010 5:56:13 PM   
Halsey

Next installment...
These will be comprehensive downloads, as long as they fit.
Then I will start to break them up.

See the notes in the zip.
I will be upgrading my insignia as I find errors, or for refinement.

All Marine Raiders
All Marine Paras
503rd Para
87th Mtn
28th E African
Chindits
Viper Force
3rd Commando
Aussie Divs previously missed
Some others that I didn't list, too.

No need to download previous files.
The latest posting will contain all of the insignia's, plus additions and modifications.
At least until they don't fit.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Halsey -- 4/17/2010 8:44:38 PM >

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 110
RE: Art mods - 4/17/2010 6:59:07 PM   
SuluSea

I already chopped out these two Marine patches and plan on doing a 1st Marine defense battalion patch I found on Ebay If they can assist you in building your package I'll email them to you.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 111
RE: Art mods - 4/17/2010 8:36:48 PM   
Halsey

Coool...

Your bn patches look more uniform than the ones I found.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 112
RE: Art mods - 4/18/2010 1:53:54 AM   
Halsey

I have a complete zip for all Allied LCU's, to date.
Ryan, Dixie and mine, with fixes.

It's too large to upload, so email me with your email address, and I'll shoot it to you.

Someone else will have to take up the airgroup insignia gauntlet.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 113
RE: Art mods - 4/18/2010 1:14:45 PM   
SuluSea

I have the 1-4 Marine Raiders, 1-3 USMC Parachute  and 1st Marine Defense Bn, just have to figure out how to upload them for download.

It worked I must be living right......Can't be.......

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 4/18/2010 1:17:40 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 114
RE: Art mods - 4/18/2010 3:46:40 PM   
Halsey

I got them off your previous post already.
Haven't done the Defense Bn yet.
Need the other 6 to complete the set.
Hint hint...

New patches.
Sea Bees
Couple more new ones.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 115
RE: Art mods - 4/18/2010 4:28:50 PM   
cantona2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_defense_battalions

Not all the patches are here but its a start.

Halsey, thanks for the zips mate

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 116
RE: Art mods - 4/18/2010 4:30:53 PM   
cantona2

Found this as well, pity its B/W

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 117
RE: Art mods - 4/18/2010 4:33:17 PM   
cantona2

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/usmc.html

Another marine patch site

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 118
RE: Art mods - 4/18/2010 4:34:06 PM   
cantona2

http://www.angelfire.com/md2/patches/trueindexww2site.html

Not just marines!

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 119
RE: Art mods - 4/18/2010 4:38:01 PM   
cantona2

http://www.usarmypatches.com/index.htm

Another one

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Early USN Carrier Aircraft Rotating Art Sampler Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI