Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hugins been and gone?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Hugins been and gone? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hugins been and gone? - 3/17/2010 11:30:50 PM   
RobPollard

I have been getting back into the game and thought I'd start with the olde classic Dawn Patrol.

Had a look at the image of one of my Hugins class patrol boats and was impressed by the colour and its size. A lot better than the older images.

However, I then patched the game and now the game claims it can't find any Hugins images, despite there being an image pre-patch (I'm up to 3.94 now).

I guess the question is has the Hugins image been removed? If not is there a way of enabling it? Or is it possible to bring back the original image viewing system?

Thanks
RobP

Post #: 1
Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB - 3/18/2010 7:31:46 AM   
hermanhum

With either patch 3.8.0 or 3.9.0, there was a change in the image handling for the database pictures.  Previously, the images were stored in single composite *.RES files.  Now, they are stored in individual folders for each platform and are viewed with the Harpoon Media Widget [HMW] utility.

To turn off the current HMW and convert back to the old database media format, you will need to follow these three steps:

1. Issue the windows command line:
regsvr32 /u HMW.dll

This disables the media viewer. Repeat this step for each installation if you have multiple ANW installations.

2. Grab the old pic files.

computerharpoon.net/public/OldHarpoon3PicResFiles.zip

3. Extract the *pic.res files into your Harpoon 3 ANW/Resource/DBPics/ folder.

To re-enable the new media viewer, just type the following at the command prompt in your Harpoon 3 ANW folder:
regsvr32 HMW.dll

Hope that this works for you. Also, check your PMs. Welcome back to the game (again).

Don't forget to install the PlayersDB patch for the least number of problems.
http://www.harplonkhq.com/forum/download/file.php?id=744

(in reply to RobPollard)
Post #: 2
RE: Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB - 3/18/2010 7:58:35 PM   
RobPollard

Thanks Herman,

Alas I couldn't get it to work.

I am still puzzled as to why in one version I got the new and updated pics of Hugen class PTB, but in the latest patch the image has gone missing. To me this is either a bug or the image has been removed for whatever reason.

Getting the originals to work would be cool as the game doesn't lose focus.

Thanks
RobP

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 3
Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB - 3/18/2010 8:32:47 PM   
hermanhum

Let me see if I can offer some clarification. When 3.7.0 was released, it came with the old H2 method of image organization. PTM Hugin was assigned PicID# 36 and you would have seen the image attached to this message.

In Patch 3.8.0 or 3.9.0, AGSI introduced the new Harpoon Media Widget format. If you look in your ANW installation path (i.e. C:\Harpoon_ANW\Resource\DBPics\Ship), you will see that there are many numerically named sub-folders contained within, but there is no folder named "036". Looks like they just failed to include/find a new image for the Hugin. Should you find an image of a Hugin in *.PNG format, you can always create a new "036" folder and drop it in and it should appear just fine when you play the game.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RobPollard)
Post #: 4
RE: Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB - 3/19/2010 4:51:51 PM   
RobPollard

Ah thanks,

That makes sense. I will use the internet and top up some of the images! :)

RobP

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 5
RE: Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB - 3/22/2010 9:18:39 PM   
Bucks

Rob,

I'm responsible for both versions of the new images and apologise for the Hugins going "missing". There's an explanation and I'm hoping I'll have a fix for this issue now you've pointed it out.

When I did the 3.7.0 update and Herman is correct in that the Hugin's didn't make it into 3.8 or 3.9. The reason is that the images included mainly colour in 3.8 and 3.9 were added based on a set list required by the USNI for their 3.8 version. AGSI decided that, the 3.8 & 3.9 update was sufficient based on multiple colour images now being available. I have many more platforms to include for download and use with the HUD3 and any other DB that wishes to use them upon request.

The Harpoon Media Widget was designed by Russell Sharp and you're not limited to PNG format as it should display JPEGS as well. The present Media Widget image library was also limited due to several complaints regarding the increased download size.

I hope to be able to find a site for the HUD3 shortly and will hopefully be able to provide my entire collection of Public Domain images. Of course as you pointed out, users are free to start their own private collections. I am happy to provide a copy of the current image library index so you can match the images to your current DB. If you have any further queries please feel free to contact me or post here.

Cheers

Darren Buckley

Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1

(in reply to RobPollard)
Post #: 6
RE: Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB - 3/27/2010 4:26:55 PM   
RobPollard

Okies - at least it isn't me going mad!

On another run through Dawn Patrol, I noticed that none of the units displayed an image. Some mentioned media could not be found - like the hugins, whilst others just presented a window with some advertisements and a black client area. The latter could be a bug? This is on Windows XP Pro SP3.

Thanks

(in reply to Bucks)
Post #: 7
Problem - 3/27/2010 10:02:52 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: RobP

On another run through Dawn Patrol, I noticed that none of the units displayed an image. Some mentioned media could not be found - like the hugins, whilst others just presented a window with some advertisements and a black client area. The latter could be a bug?

You have not been very specific on the which database you are using and whether or not your system is using the Harpoon Media Widget [HMW] viewer or the older H2 system for viewing *.RES files. These details are important as not every database is set up in the same manner with the same numbering system.

I do not believe that it is a bug and I think that I may have an explanation for your symptoms, though. In the numbering system IIRC, if a ship is assigned PicID# 0, that will result in your black screen appearing with no picture (other than the advertisements). That is because PicID# 0 does not exist.

Some ships might also have the PicID# 130. In this case, a specific image was created to fill that spot. That is the "No Image Found" or "No Photo Available" message. It is probably better for all the entries to have #130 instead of just leaving it as zero. (That is how we did it for the PlayersDB.) However, one may have "slipped through the cracks." This is why it is important to be specific about the database used, the platform involved, etc.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RobPollard)
Post #: 8
RE: Problem - 3/29/2010 6:45:23 PM   
RobPollard

Hi Herman,

I have been using the HMW system - though I wish I could get the old .res system up and running. The database I have been using for that scenario is the default one called 'Harpoon 3 Standard Database' dated 2005, author being 'Old School'.

The id's I tried to look at were the Hugins, Goteborg and the Russian Nanchuckas. The former as expected cannot find the media, whilst the latter two simply display blank pages.

Below is a pic of what I'm seeing:

Not sure if this is any help.

Regards

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 9
Problem - 3/29/2010 8:57:44 PM   
hermanhum

Thanks for the clarification.  You are certainly using the new HMW system as opposed to the older *.RES format.  I wonder if all the juggling and use of the

regsvr32 /u HMW.dll
regsvr32 HMW.dll

commands might not have scrambled things.

You confirmed for me that the images I sent you for the PlayersDB worked fine.  Why do you use the Original [ODb]?  Why not just use the PlayersDB since all the ODb scens have already been re-written and repaired for it and the images work?

If you really want to stick with the ODb, you can try and go into your PlayersDB folder to find a sub-folder named, "Pics".  If you copy it over to your ODb folder, I think that you will find images appearing for those ships.

The Hugin is assigned PicID#36 and the Goteborg is #27.  Neither of these had associated images/sub-folders under the new system.  However, the Nanuchka is #58 and there is a folder for "058" under C:\Harpoon_ANW\Resource\DBPics\Ship so it should have have appeared.  I cannot explain its absence.

I find it totally bizarre that you cannot switch back to the old *.RES system while I have been able to do so at will.

(in reply to RobPollard)
Post #: 10
Problem - 3/29/2010 9:54:04 PM   
hermanhum

I switched back to the HMW system and used the Original DB along with the scenario you described. This is what I see when I select a Nanuchka and hit the Picture button.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RobPollard)
Post #: 11
Problem - 3/29/2010 9:55:14 PM   
hermanhum

And this is what I see when I select Picture for either the Hugin or the Goteborg:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RobPollard)
Post #: 12
RE: Problem - 3/30/2010 6:03:24 PM   
RobPollard

Hi Herman,

This is all very odd.

That said I have a fix! The reason why I don't have your images is that I forgot to mention that I changed my OS from Vista64 when I originally posted to XP Pro! It seems that the unregister command failed under Vista64 but works fine under XP Pro! I now have the old viewer working with what appears to be enlarged images. Now a very happy man :)

I wonder if my black HMW screens are the result of video drivers? Not sure. I'm using the latest ATI drivers with an ATI 4790 at 1920x1920 32 bit depth.

Either way I'm very happy now :)

Thanks for working the problem!

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Hugins been and gone? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI