Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AE Historical Game Project

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AE Historical Game Project Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 2:36:46 PM   
Fletcher

Hi there !
After months of playing AE and thinking in house rules to improve the historical envirioment, I would like to share with you my thinkings to discuss, comments or critics. Any comment will be wellcomed and thanks given in advance for any post.
PS: Excuse me because It´s large document and I´ll need probably several post. For the other hands excuse me for my english, it´s not my native laguage.
Best of wishes
Ramón

1/8

Attachment (1)

WITP-AE, WITE
Post #: 1
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 2:37:17 PM   
Fletcher

2/8

Attachment (1)

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 2
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 2:37:42 PM   
Fletcher

3/8

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Fletcher -- 3/25/2010 2:38:12 PM >

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 3
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 2:38:39 PM   
Fletcher

4/8

Attachment (1)

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 4
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 2:39:19 PM   
Fletcher

5/8

Attachment (1)

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 5
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 2:39:51 PM   
Fletcher

6/8

Attachment (1)

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 6
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 2:40:29 PM   
Fletcher

7/8

Attachment (1)

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 7
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 2:41:08 PM   
Fletcher

8/8
(EDITED)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Fletcher -- 3/25/2010 2:53:57 PM >

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 8
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 2:47:43 PM   
Nomad

I think 9.1 is worded wrong. I read it now that the British heavy naval units will operate in the Pacific and I think you want it to say they can not. But, what about Warsprite?

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 9
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 2:49:43 PM   
Fletcher

Hello Nomad, you are right is worded wrong !

HMS Warspite was at repairs at West Coast, and when finished she sailed to Colombo to join with Somerville´s Eastern Fleet. Until Salomon´s campaign no RN capital ships had operated in Pacific with exception of HIMS Victorious to support USS Saratoga in this campaign.
Best wishes.

< Message edited by Fletcher -- 3/25/2010 2:54:45 PM >

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 10
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 4:50:05 PM   
Buck Beach

I like the Allied house rules and I will follow many of them in my next game against the Japanese AI. Thanks for taking the time to formulate them.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 11
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 4:56:16 PM   
Fletcher

Hi Buck !
Thanks a lot for your oppinion ! I am not sure if more will be needed, I am requesting support about it :) thank you so much
Best of wishes
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 12
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 5:22:27 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fletcher

Hi Buck !
Thanks a lot for your oppinion ! I am not sure if more will be needed, I am requesting support about it :) thank you so much
Best of wishes
Ramón

I personally feel as if I am cheating (not that I don't do it) in trying to take the Australian and New Zealand forces out of Malaysia (also the Brits air and Base Force units). Any thoughts or timing recommendations?

What about those Philippine units and aircraft that can be relocated? And, how fast should the Asiatic Fleet escape from the Philippine waters?

One other thing, do you allow for the redirect of reinforcement/supply convoys sent to Malaysia or Dutch East Indies?

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 13
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 8:36:49 PM   
Fletcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

quote:

Hi Buck !
Best of wishes
Ramón

I personally feel as if I am cheating (not that I don't do it) in trying to take the Australian and New Zealand forces out of Malaysia (also the Brits air and Base Force units). Any thoughts or timing recommendations?

What about those Philippine units and aircraft that can be relocated? And, how fast should the Asiatic Fleet escape from the Philippine waters?

One other thing, do you allow for the redirect of reinforcement/supply convoys sent to Malaysia or Dutch East Indies?

About Phillipine units, only US Forces would be available for transfer, no Phillipine Army units (ground or air).
Several Asiatic Fleet warships had orders to redeploy with British Eastern Fleet at Singapore and sailing into Borneo straits heading Soerabaja... I think no problem to redeploy this ships.
About Malaya, I think allied player should be able to take strategic decisions about reinforcement/supply convoys to Malaya or Dutch Indies (usually I prefer to sent as quick as possible as many UK forces to Singapore to buy time and AIF Forces to D.E.I with the same idea). But I think this doesn´t need any House Rules about it.
About forces at Malaya, it´s a decision from allied player, because you have forces under Restricted (in white -with not possibilities of changes- and others in yellos -you must pay political points). Must be a local decisions.

Thanks a lot for your comments.
Best of wishes
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 14
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 9:59:22 PM   
Fletcher

Point 3.3 (Kwangtung) will be edited like following:

3.- No HQ will go out from Manchuria until 1944 or before Mariana landings or IF ALLIED HAVE CAPTURED ANY BASE AT DEI WITH AIRFIELD 4+ (A-GO IGHQ Strategic Planning).

Anothers changes:
- 4E bombers will not attack under 10,000 feet
- Glenns will be the only floatplane in the IJN SS.
3.6 When Soviet Union is activated, no more IJA units will be transfer to others commands.

Best wishes
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 15
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 10:29:11 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

quote:

Hi Buck !
Best of wishes
Ramón

About Phillipine units, only US Forces would be available for transfer, no Phillipine Army units (ground or air).
Several Asiatic Fleet warships had orders to redeploy with British Eastern Fleet at Singapore and sailing into Borneo straits heading Soerabaja... I think no problem to redeploy this ships.
About Malaya, I think allied player should be able to take strategic decisions about reinforcement/supply convoys to Malaya or Dutch Indies (usually I prefer to sent as quick as possible as many UK forces to Singapore to buy time and AIF Forces to D.E.I with the same idea). But I think this doesn´t need any House Rules about it.
About forces at Malaya, it´s a decision from allied player, because you have forces under Restricted (in white -with not possibilities of changes- and others in yellos -you must pay political points). Must be a local decisions.

Thanks a lot for your comments.
Best of wishes
Ramón

Thanks for you input.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 16
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 10:52:22 PM   
CarnageINC

Fletcher, what do you mean by 'waste political points'  Do you mean that they must/can be spent productively or in a manner that simulates that they were spent for the operations in question (i.e. Australian Invasion).  An example would be changing a unit's HQ numerous times until 3000 pol. pts. were spent?

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 17
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 11:02:32 PM   
CarnageINC

An additional idea for you Fletcher, one for the Japanese would be to have army and navy ground units get to a certain level of 'planning' before operations can commence.  This would reflect the time and effort of political in-fighting a certain service had to do to get the units for 'their' ground offensive/defensive plans.  An example would be planning the invasion of Java.  Since it falls into your 'Navy' sphere of influence all army units to be used would have to have a minimum of 25 or 30 pts to proceed with the operation.  Larger plans for Australia could have even larger costs, like 60-80 planning range to be included.

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 18
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 11:22:36 PM   
Fletcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

Fletcher, what do you mean by 'waste political points'  Do you mean that they must/can be spent productively or in a manner that simulates that they were spent for the operations in question (i.e. Australian Invasion).  An example would be changing a unit's HQ numerous times until 3000 pol. pts. were spent?

The correct meaning is SPENT .. I confused with the correct word, excuse me (english is not my native laguage). When the targets have fallen in japanese hands the reserve political points can be spent in any transfer or theatre.

I wait the meaning of these can be understood.
Thank very much CarnageINC
Best of wishes
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 19
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/25/2010 11:23:33 PM   
Fletcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: CarnageINC

An additional idea for you Fletcher, one for the Japanese would be to have army and navy ground units get to a certain level of 'planning' before operations can commence.  This would reflect the time and effort of political in-fighting a certain service had to do to get the units for 'their' ground offensive/defensive plans.  An example would be planning the invasion of Java.  Since it falls into your 'Navy' sphere of influence all army units to be used would have to have a minimum of 25 or 30 pts to proceed with the operation.  Larger plans for Australia could have even larger costs, like 60-80 planning range to be included.

Hi CarnageINC
It´s a very good idea... taking notes !!
Thanks a lot !
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 20
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/26/2010 1:08:53 AM   
WITPPL

I would say that USAF E4 require an USA BF unit to operate at all.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 21
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/26/2010 1:11:19 AM   
Fletcher

very interesting !... taking notes

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to WITPPL)
Post #: 22
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/26/2010 1:21:15 AM   
WITPPL

Btw: If You want them to work You should keep all game related (not political or strategical) rules simple.
In a monster game like this it might be hard to track more elaborated ones

For instance: artillery rule is fine, it is simple, easy to remember, control and execute. Fits.

Navy/Army cooperation (great idea by it self!) will probably cost too much time to control nd to execute on LBU's level but might work nicely at HQ level.

just my 2c.

Have fun!

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 23
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/26/2010 6:37:21 AM   
CarnageINC

quote:

ORIGINAL: WITPPL

Btw: If You want them to work You should keep all game related (not political or strategical) rules simple.
In a monster game like this it might be hard to track more elaborated ones

For instance: artillery rule is fine, it is simple, easy to remember, control and execute. Fits.

Navy/Army cooperation (great idea by it self!) will probably cost too much time to control nd to execute on LBU's level but might work nicely at HQ level.

just my 2c.

Have fun!

I like where Fletcher is going with his historical rules. Everything your saying WITPPL is true to. I think that there has to be some kind of Army/Navy cooperation rule for LBU's. I'm not sure HQ level is exactly the right place for it. If a navy operation is planned using naval HQ but no army HQ but army units I think that those army units have to some kind of 'cost' to use them. However in keeping with the spirit of the game it can't be to high a 'price' otherwise it slows the Japanese to a stand still if you use the wrong system.

All in all the actual thing to do is spend the pol. pts. and transfer army units under command of the naval HQ...and vice verse. Similar to Kwantung Army units going into China for combat. Instead of holding all those Political Points for simulating time for political fighting...spend them.

I personally hate having units from other HQ's operating separate from their owning HQ. A example is units from the 25th IJArmy running around Burma without being transferred to 15th IJArmy HQ control. In my games I keep 99% of my units operating in their HQ's sphere of influence. The only units free to operate in another HQ's area's are Combined Fleet HQ's for the Japanese. I find that switching LBU's to a correct controlling HQ's easier to keep track of units and their missions. It hampers but doesn't stop my operations.

This is my personal house rule and opinion but it might work well for your historical rules Fletcher. The more I type and think about this the more I think it works better for your system Fletcher...its easy, already part of the game, and not a hassle to use.

(in reply to WITPPL)
Post #: 24
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/26/2010 9:01:19 AM   
Fletcher

WITTPL and CarnageINC, thanks a lot for your comments !
My own purpose to share the House Rules for an accurate "historicall" game play with WITP AE is get as more comments as possible, critics too, of course... as much ideas from another players as possible to improve the system and finally test the system with all house rules selected. Probably I must be wrong in several of them, and much of WITP players have a large experience playing, then I will wait as much comments and suggest as possible to improve/enlarge/short the system and then test it.
Thanks a lot for all comments
Best of wishes
Ramón

PS: I have took notes from all your suggestions, thanks ! (EDITED)

< Message edited by Fletcher -- 3/26/2010 10:05:44 AM >

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to CarnageINC)
Post #: 25
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/26/2010 10:15:24 AM   
Fletcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: WITPPL

I would say that USAF E4 require an USA BF unit to operate at all.

Notes taken, thanks a lot WITPPL !
Very interesting idea (all non-chinese 4E bombers at China would be supported by USAAF ground units)
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to WITPPL)
Post #: 26
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/26/2010 10:53:17 AM   
LoBaron

Geat ideas and thank you for the ammount of work you are putting into this Fletcher!
Will follow that developement for sure.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 27
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/26/2010 12:43:16 PM   
jomni

If you want historical, then why not these house rules:
1) you cannot launch operations at any time and theater unless it is actually performed in history.
2) you must use the same troops, ships, squadrons, etc. to re-enact a historical battle.

< Message edited by jomni -- 3/26/2010 12:44:57 PM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 28
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/26/2010 3:51:26 PM   
Fletcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

If you want historical, then why not these house rules:
1) you cannot launch operations at any time and theater unless it is actually performed in history.
2) you must use the same troops, ships, squadrons, etc. to re-enact a historical battle.

Thanks a lot about your comments, Lobaron and Jomni.
About your comments Jomni, the purpose is no a re-enact of History, is only get the flavour and actuall enviriomnent of the II World War in the Pacific. You can feel free to take your own strategical decisions...but it´s far unreal that Japan could began a offensive against Australia or India (1942) without a high political price.... About artillery at Kwantung, I think you will be agree that´s necesary to avoid Manchuria could be without japanese arty or aircrafts (like japanese players we know that AI or a soviet PBEM opponent never attack us before August 1945, but it was not the real envirionment).
Thanks about your comments.
Best wishes
Ramon

< Message edited by Fletcher -- 3/26/2010 8:45:40 PM >

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 29
RE: AE Historical Game Project - 3/27/2010 1:33:41 AM   
bklooste

quote:

5/8
re Manchuria arty

Historically a number of the Manchurian Arty were sent to Bataan without any infantyr being witdrawn,,,

Underdog Fanboy

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> AE Historical Game Project Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI