Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/8/2010 6:45:35 PM   
joeblack1862

Account still disabled, still no contact from Steam Support.

(in reply to joeblack1862)
Post #: 91
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/8/2010 8:44:03 PM   
joeblack1862

Sent a private message to one of the Valve guys on the forum. He got back to me immediately to tell me that the support ticket was on the list but the person had been ill. He apologised and said it would hopefully be sorted out today or tomorrow.

So that may be a bit of advice for any of you chaps to use in future if you have issues and no response to a ticket.

No contact from support yet.

(If you want me to stop this monologue just say so, I have no idea if people are finding it useful).

EDIT:
I should add all the Steam / Valve staff I have managed to speak to have been helpful and polite. The issue seems to be the process and the time it takes to get to speak to someone.

< Message edited by Joe Black -- 4/8/2010 9:00:58 PM >

Post #: 92
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/8/2010 9:28:10 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe Black

Sent a private message to one of the Valve guys on the forum. He got back to me immediately to tell me that the support ticket was on the list but the person had been ill. He apologised and said it would hopefully be sorted out today or tomorrow.

So that may be a bit of advice for any of you chaps to use in future if you have issues and no response to a ticket.

No contact from support yet.

(If you want me to stop this monologue just say so, I have no idea if people are finding it useful).

EDIT:
I should add all the Steam / Valve staff I have managed to speak to have been helpful and polite. The issue seems to be the process and the time it takes to get to speak to someone.

Keep it going, Joe. That's been my experience with various retails as well...if you find yourself waiting and waiting, a PM or email to an admin usually spurs things along.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

Post #: 93
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/8/2010 10:43:34 PM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Yes and keyboard overlays too.

How Ive wished for keyboard overlays...especially with flight sims. The last flight sim I bought with a keyboard overlay was in about '98. Can't remember the name...think it was Total Air War. It was agreat game anywya. Also the first game I played to use anti aialising.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 94
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/9/2010 11:03:24 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Yes and keyboard overlays too.

How Ive wished for keyboard overlays...especially with flight sims. The last flight sim I bought with a keyboard overlay was in about '98. Can't remember the name...think it was Total Air War. It was agreat game anywya. Also the first game I played to use anti aialising.

Aaaah, keyboard overlays. They were definitely helpful. Unfortunately, the explosion in different keyboard layouts, sizes, dimensions and everything else essentially killed them.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 95
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/10/2010 9:11:07 AM   
Obsolete

While this link may refer to the very recent past, it is unfortunate that it also points to our future:

http://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/10184920360

Oh yes, and I forgot, I also love it how Ubisoft once again is so smart in how they word things, as though this were just a minor inconvenience to a very few clients.

< Message edited by Obsolete -- 4/10/2010 9:14:11 AM >

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 96
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/14/2010 9:53:47 PM   
joeblack1862

Hi All,

My next installment of this Game Purchase that wasn't from Steam:

Well, well, well. What can I say. Paypal are absolutely spot on. They have gone up in my estimation big time.

Last Friday, Steam finally contacted me:

1. They said they had re-enabled my account and provided the game I attempted to purchase from them free of charge.

2. I queried this, I said I didn't want the game as I already owned it and could they give me another game at the same price (I had missed the free of charge bit..)

3. They then spelt it out that the game was free as they had spoken to Paypal and my money had been refunded.

4. I checked my bank account, no credit nor any future transactions uncleared. Just the £13.99 debit. Checked Paypal, the escalated case was still showing, waiting to hear from the seller.

5. I emailed back to Steam to point out that they had not refunded me (nor by the looks of things, spoken to Paypal). That was last Friday 9th April. So I had indeed paid for the "Free game".

6. No reply from Steam, even as I write this on the 14th April.

7. Paypal emailed me tonight. They said they had found the case in my favor and that they had taken the money off Steam and returned it to my account. It will take five days to clear.

Thank you Paypal.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 97
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/16/2010 9:13:39 PM   
joeblack1862

Three weeks and it is still going....

They have now removed the "free game" (didn't ask me if they could). I did say in my correspondance that it being there was of no consequence to me. I didn't say remove it.

I actually find that disturbing. The account was disabled without contacting me. (To those who say it is because I raised a dispute on Paypal, here are a few facts; the dispute was raised 8 days before the account was disabled. It was only ever at "Talk to the Seller" level).
They also add a game without checking if it is something appropriate. They remove it just as quickly without checking with me. It doesn't feel like I have any say in "My Account" or any rights at all.

Although I have my money back (thank you Paypal) I am continuing communication with Steam in order to make my point about this last 3 weeks of frustration. It may do no good, but I have to make the effort to talk to them. You could say it is a customers duty or else how will they ever know. Yeah, I know you all think I am wasting my time

Tell me to stop if you are all bored with this please. You won't hurt my feelings, honest

Post #: 98
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/16/2010 11:37:23 PM   
Arctic Blast

I'd say keep it going if you still want to, Joe.

Post #: 99
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/17/2010 1:06:02 AM   
joeblack1862

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arctic Blast

Okay

And to spell out "Talk to Seller" level at Paypal. When you raise a dispute this is the first level. Paypal do not get involved, they just register the start of the dispute process and leave you to "Talk to the Seller". If it's resolved then the dispute is closed by you and Paypal never get involved.

If you are getting nowhere, then you raise the "Talk to Seller" to the next level. At this level you lose control of the dispute. Paypal take over and talk to the seller. They then make a decision and that is that. If they find in your favor, they recover your money, easier to do with a big company like Steam, obviously.

Post #: 100
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/17/2010 7:14:46 PM   
E

quote:

Although I have my money back (thank you Paypal)

I wish paypal had been able to get my money back on a deal, after they ruled in my favor (and yet they tell me how much safer it is to use them instead of my credit card). I subsequently closed a bank account I wasn't using any more (it was only opened to receive money from paypal for a batch of spring cleaning items I sold) and promptly lost my ability to use paypal (no longer "verified?"), even via my tried and true credit card. This all happened a year or two ago. Just last night I got a warning that the credit card paypal had on file was about to expire and I really needed to update it... I know it was automated but ROFL! ...That'd be the credit card they wouldn't let me use before it expired.

I've yet to understand why paypal needs to have access to my bank account to allow use of a verified credit card not associated in anyway with my bank account. These DRM's are getting ridiculous I say! *grin*

Post #: 101
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/17/2010 8:34:37 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

Recently, I went to buy close to $600 worth of boardgames from L2. However, when I got to the checkout, I found out that my payment options were personal check/money order or Paypal. I was so disgusted that I closed the browser, and blew off the order. I hate Paypal with a passion. At least half of the phishing attempts that come my way via email are associated with this service that's supposedly protecting my billing information. Yeah, right. 

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 102
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/17/2010 9:29:07 PM   
joeblack1862

Sorry to here that E / Prince.

Good to raise a note of caution, Paypal are far from perfect, and I am under no illusions that my experience could well have been different with a different seller.

But at this moment I am just happy to get my money back

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 103
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/17/2010 10:26:54 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

quote:

Okay

And to spell out "Talk to Seller" level at Paypal. When you raise a dispute this is the first level. Paypal do not get involved, they just register the start of the dispute process and leave you to "Talk to the Seller". If it's resolved then the dispute is closed by you and Paypal never get involved.

If you are getting nowhere, then you raise the "Talk to Seller" to the next level. At this level you lose control of the dispute. Paypal take over and talk to the seller. They then make a decision and that is that. If they find in your favor, they recover your money, easier to do with a big company like Steam, obviously.

I'm glad you got in to a bit more detail about the dispute process, because I had been under the impression that there was only one. You dispute a charge, that's it.

So if I understand correctly, at the time of the account hijinx, you had taken it only to the first level where Paypal themselves aren't involved, correct?

Post #: 104
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/17/2010 10:43:57 PM   
joeblack1862

quote:

quote:

quote:

Okay

I'm glad you got in to a bit more detail about the dispute process, because I had been under the impression that there was only one. You dispute a charge, that's it.

So if I understand correctly, at the time of the account hijinx, you had taken it only to the first level where Paypal themselves aren't involved, correct?

That is correct. The dispute process is very clear on that.

Paypal want you to try to resolve it without bringing them in but they want you to set the "clock ticking" as it were. There is a time limit in which you can raise a dispute, so you should always raise it immediately, and leave it at this level until you think you have run out of options talking to the seller.

To take it to the next level, just go to the dispute and escalate, it is very straight forward. At that point it is Paypal talking to the seller.

Post #: 105
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/18/2010 5:35:50 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

Let me invite everyone to put up or shut up, on this one, at least as regards Matrix Games. If you want them to go on publishing DRM-free games, YOU are going to have to BUY as many as you can possibly play. They can't stay in business otherwise. And no more grousing about the prices please! If the games are worth investing your time in, they're also worth forty or sixty or eighty-dollars.

DAMN! You Prince! You just solved my guilt and boredom problem all in one fell swoop! . . . now lets see, which one do I buy today.

But yes! Absolutely THANKS to Matrix for no invasive software in order to play their games

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

Post #: 106
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/20/2010 9:51:12 AM   
joeblack1862

Final Installment of the Steam Saga:

I laid out my in a constructive manner in my last email to them, pointing out the process issues. I made it clear that this was not a personal attack on them or their integrity, just constructive critisism of there processes. I asked them to close my account as I no longer had faith in the method they use to control games.

In reply, I received a full apology from them and "deep regret" for the whole episode. They have told me that they will be using my ticket for training purposes as they don't want this to happen again. They asked me to reconsider closing my account.

I thanked them for the considerate mail and asked them to go ahead and close the account. I pointed out that they, along with many publishers had lost contact with their paying customers. I said I was willing to accept installation activation (as per Matrix, Gamers Gate) or no activation on old games (as per GOG) but their current method was not to my liking and this incident had shown why it was not customer freindly.

So I have closed my account, lost the games I owned on Steam (fortunately I had played most of them, and the others were old games that I will buy elsewhere). I actually feel very happy with my decision. It feels like I have broken a habit (just like an adict). I am no longer willing to bend over and take one just to play a computer game. Thanks to companies like Matrix, GOG (and to a lesser degree Gamers Gate) for listening to their customers and treating them like.... well.... customers.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 107
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/20/2010 10:02:34 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

I laid out my in a constructive manner in my last email to them, pointing out the process issues. I made it clear that this was not a personal attack on them or their integrity, just constructive critisism of there processes. I asked them to close my account as I no longer had faith in the method they use to control games.

In reply, I received a full apology from them and "deep regret" for the whole episode. They have told me that they will be using my ticket for training purposes as they don't want this to happen again. They asked me to reconsider closing my account.

I thanked them for the considerate mail and asked them to go ahead and close the account. I pointed out that they, along with many publishers had lost contact with their paying customers. I said I was willing to accept installation activation (as per Matrix, Gamers Gate) or no activation on old games (as per GOG) but their current method was not to my liking and this incident had shown why it was not customer freindly.

So I have closed my account, lost the games I owned on Steam (fortunately I had played most of them, and the others were old games that I will buy elsewhere). I actually feel very happy with my decision. It feels like I have broken a habit (just like an adict). I am no longer willing to bend over and take one just to play a computer game. Thanks to companies like Matrix, GOG (and to a lesser degree Gamers Gate) for listening to their customers and treating them like.... well.... customers.

Well, so long as it reached an outcome that you're pleased with, and it seems like you are, then it's all good in the end, right? The whole situation was quite a mess, though.

If you don't mind the way that Gamersgate works, you might also want to look at Direct2Drive. They're similar, but you download installer packages that you can back up somewhere. They're standard installers that don't need to access anything before running. The one big minus, if DRM is a concern for you, is that D2D is pretty terrible when it comes to mentioning third party DRM used on the games...so you have to do a little side research.

Post #: 108
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/21/2010 2:19:53 AM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

Good to see another enlightened convert.

Too bad it often takes horrible incidents such as this before realization hits.

Post #: 109
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/21/2010 4:57:13 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

Hats off to you for having kept such an "even-strain" through this mini-ordeal.

I'd have wanted someones head on a pole.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

Post #: 110
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/21/2010 10:01:53 AM   
joeblack1862

quote:

If you don't mind the way that Gamersgate works, you might also want to look at Direct2Drive. They're similar, but you download installer packages that you can back up somewhere. They're standard installers that don't need to access anything before running. The one big minus, if DRM is a concern for you, is that D2D is pretty terrible when it comes to mentioning third party DRM used on the games...so you have to do a little side research.

Thanks AB,

I'll get a look at D2D. I was holding off because I thought they were more draconian than GG. It looks like they are actually better. So with D2D, just to confirm, once you download the application and the installer it will install anywhere without activation. They sound like a good option.

Post #: 111
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/21/2010 10:05:46 AM   
joeblack1862

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

Hats off to you for having kept such an "even-strain" through this mini-ordeal.

I'd have wanted someones head on a pole.

Thanks for the compliment

Believe me, at times it wasn't easy, but I have always felt that ramming the facts down someone's throat is often more fun and more productive

Post #: 112
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/21/2010 10:53:07 AM   
joeblack1862

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Ain't that the truth.

Why use such a system when it appears that there are companies willing to give you the same service but without the draconian restrictions?

Doesn't matter how old you are, you live and learn.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 113
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/21/2010 8:29:01 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: NefariousKoel

Ain't that the truth.

Why use such a system when it appears that there are companies willing to give you the same service but without the draconian restrictions?

Doesn't matter how old you are, you live and learn.

I've hoped more people would pay attention to stories such as yours and take a stand.

Unfortunately, some don't seem to care as long as they're not affected (yet) and keep enabling these companies' abuse of their customers. I blame them for the recent proliferation since they're still forking over money and sticking their heads in the sand about the issue. Even going as far as defending it.

It may sound harsh, turning on others like that, but when large companies do such a thing it shows that they don't listen to their customer's wants & needs. They will eventually take notice of large amounts not giving them money anymore. That is, if they can man up and not try something like blaming such lower sales on piracy as an easy out.

Post #: 114
RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM - 4/21/2010 9:49:20 PM   
Arctic Blast

quote:

quote:

Thanks AB,

I'll get a look at D2D. I was holding off because I thought they were more draconian than GG. It looks like they are actually better. So with D2D, just to confirm, once you download the application and the installer it will install anywhere without activation. They sound like a good option.

Yes. There is no activation used on the installer itself. You actually download a game install package. You can use the D2D downloader if you want to (which also works on Fileplanet, if you ever go there), or you can install Gamespy Comrade, or just download using your browser or download manager.

Just be careful of 3rd party DRM if that's something of concern to you. You will have to do a bit more research of your own in to what a lot of the games use, as D2D isn't anywhere near as good as GG or Impulse at reporting that.

Post #: 115
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Thank you Matrix, for no DRM Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI