Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Controlling Research

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Controlling Research Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Controlling Research - 4/2/2010 9:47:18 PM   
RavenX

I picked up Distant Worlds the other day but I haven't had a lot of time to start a proper game. I went through the tutorials though. A Question. Is there any way to control what research my Empire is doing? If I wanted to research new Colonization techs can I do that? Can one Empire specialize in weapon research while another specializes in something else? If so how do I accomplish this?

Thanks for the help.

~ RavenX

What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere
Post #: 1
RE: Controlling Research - 4/2/2010 11:09:34 PM   
RavenX

Nothing huh? Nada, zip, zilch, zero?

What do I see? I see time as it affects all things. Human flesh whithers and dies before my eyes. Flowers bloom, only to fade. Trees drop green leaves, never to regain them. In my sight, it is always winter, always night. ~ Raistlin Majere

(in reply to RavenX)
Post #: 2
RE: Controlling Research - 4/2/2010 11:16:40 PM   
HsojVvad

You are in the wrong forum to be asking questions. Each tech is random. If you start another game, you will see your tech is different, it's not always the same. I am still trying to figure out how this works myself. From what I understand, once you discover a tech, another random tech comes after it. I am not shure if it is in the same line, ex. you research weapon, you get another weapon, or if it is something else, like colonization or construction.

(in reply to RavenX)
Post #: 3
RE: Controlling Research - 4/2/2010 11:26:22 PM   
RavenX

How is this the wrong forum to ask questions about the game? This is the closest thing I found to a "General" forum as this isn't a tech support question. I also think you miss-understood my question. I don't even see how I can change what it is I'm researching. I see a list of things being researched and I click on them and change the types of things but it doesn't change what is being researched. What I'm saying is from what it looks like is I have no control over what is being researched.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 4
RE: Controlling Research - 4/2/2010 11:29:49 PM   
HsojVvad

If you see, you are in the War Room, not General my friend.

If you look at, All Forums>>new releases>>Distant Worlds>>War Room.

just click on Distant Worlds, that is the general section.

< Message edited by Davor -- 4/2/2010 11:31:36 PM >

(in reply to RavenX)
Post #: 5
RE: Controlling Research - 4/2/2010 11:40:59 PM   
RavenX

Hmm, I figured it out. It seems you can't control what's being researched. The only way you control it is by building the appropriate type of research facility. I just figured maybe there would be a slider or something so I could at least allocate how I "spend" my research capability.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davor

If you see, you are in the War Room, not General my friend.

If you look at, All Forums>>new releases>>Distant Worlds>>War Room.

just click on Distant Worlds, that is the general section.

Ahh, yes. I see that now. Thank you. I'll make sure any general questions go there from now on. Good looking out brother.

< Message edited by RavenX -- 4/2/2010 11:41:56 PM >

(in reply to RavenX)
Post #: 6
RE: Controlling Research - 4/2/2010 11:44:24 PM   
HsojVvad

I just lernt this yesterday. You can "crash research" I think they call it by hitting the lightning bolt to make if faster or something like that. I still not shure how that works. Don't know if it takes money out of your coffers or what not. Another thing to save before you try sort of thing.

(in reply to RavenX)
Post #: 7
RE: Controlling Research - 4/2/2010 11:44:33 PM   
Webbco

"War Room - Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here." So you probably are in the wrong forum

The general forum is: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=782

Don't want to explain stuff you already know but basically you can build 4 different research stations that are specific to 4 types of research: Weapons, High tech, Energy and Industrial.

Building, lets say, many Industrial research stations and not so many Energy stations means that you will complete research of industrial components (e.g. shipyards, mining machinery etc - these are called research areas) a lot quicker than energy components (E.g. energy collectors).

You can 'crash' research to focus on completing one specific component in one research area (E.g. beam weapons - see the left hand side on research screen for every area) by clicking on the round icon with a lightening bolt. This halts all other research except the area you have crashed. In this example, beam weapons.

This is about as much control you can have over research in DW at the moment. In short, you can only control the speed at which components in different areas are researched.

< Message edited by Webbco -- 4/2/2010 11:48:53 PM >

(in reply to RavenX)
Post #: 8
RE: Controlling Research - 4/3/2010 8:13:52 AM   
Gertjan

RavenX, welcome to the game. I recognise your picture form Galciv2. i hope you'll enjoy it.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 9
RE: Controlling Research - 4/3/2010 1:08:56 PM   
RavenX

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

RavenX, welcome to the game. I recognise your picture form Galciv2. i hope you'll enjoy it.

Thank you, my friend. Actually, you recognize me from Elemental. All of Stardock's forums are integrated for certain sections of the forums. If I make a post on Elemental.com it shows up on GalCiv2.com etc etc. It's funny because I've had people quote me from other sites before I realized what was going on and I'm thinking "Wtf...I never posted there, who's running around stealing my posts?!?!?!"...LoL. Thank you for the welcoming. :)

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 10
RE: Controlling Research - 4/3/2010 3:46:09 PM   
licker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Davor

I just lernt this yesterday. You can "crash research" I think they call it by hitting the lightning bolt to make if faster or something like that. I still not shure how that works. Don't know if it takes money out of your coffers or what not. Another thing to save before you try sort of thing.

Oh no need to save before you try :)

Crashing costs a nominal up front fee depending on how far you are from discovering the desired tech, and if you pay it then 'all' (at least all of your appropriate research) goes into that single area. No research happens on any other field until you've completed which ever tech it is you picked to crash.

Now, I did run into an issue where after crashing the game failed to undo the lock, though it didn't charge me anymore for further advances in that area, but neither did it allow my research in other areas to progress.

That's happened to me once out of probably 100s of times though.

Mostly though you have to agree to relinquish the usual 4x mechanic of research control and sort of take what you get, though you can employ blunt tools to the process.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Controlling Research Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI