Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 4/28/2010 6:43:01 PM   
NCrawler

Do you hate having to maintain an older XP machine just to play your favorite SP game?

Tired of not being able to enjoy the game on Windows 7?

If you answered 'Yes' to either of these questions then this fix is for you! After further research, the culprit which screws up the 256-color palette in Windows 7 is explorer.exe. Grab the attached file, win7spwawfix.jpg, and unzip it to your SPWAW folder, typically C:\Matrix Games\Steel Panthers World At War", and you're all set! You can now use the file win7spwaw.cmd to start the game rather than the shortcut which comes with the game.

Note: change the extension of the attached file to zip

Note2: you can right-click the file and choose 'Send to --> Desktop (create shortcut)' to be able to run it from a desktop shortcut.

Note3: this fix will also more than likely fix Vista related palette corruption as well since Win7 is basically just an upgraded Vista.

NC

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 4/29/2010 1:16:39 AM   
sullafelix

I don't get a file or anything when I go to save your attachment.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to NCrawler)
Post #: 2
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 4/29/2010 2:49:45 AM   
NCrawler

Sorry, didn't notice that. This forum doesn't allow .zip attachments so I renamed it with the .jpg extension. You can get the file on the SP:WaW Depot forums as well, here: http://www.spwaw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=23047

NC

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 3
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 4/29/2010 10:11:56 PM   
sullafelix

OK now I'm passed drooling. I followed the above link and there is no attachment in your post. I thought I had to sign up at the SPWAW Depot and did but haven't received an email back as of yet.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to NCrawler)
Post #: 4
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 9/9/2010 7:27:42 PM   
jeggett

Many thx for this..

What a game eh, I'm still playing it after all these years. Got the original and then the MAtrix edition.

Top notch!
Post #: 5
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 9/20/2010 6:20:48 PM   
Nikademus

btw....this fix also works for the winSP:WW2 and winSPMBT programs as well for full screen. You have to modify the batch file slightly of course.

(in reply to jeggett)
Post #: 6
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 10/4/2010 8:07:56 PM   
Alby

Got new PC with win 7, SPwaw showed up with crazy colors, used the file mentioned above (V2) and all is well....excellent work.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 7
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 1/4/2011 5:46:29 AM   
Fallschirmjager

I want to bump this thread because I put SPWAW on my new Windows 7 and after a few hours I was frustrated and angry that I could not get one of my favorite games to work. I found this thread and the fix works. Very happy to have the game back up and running.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 8
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 1/6/2011 3:10:07 AM   
Grinder

Well - I wish it worked for ME!  I see no difference  :-(   I can see the file in the directory

win7spwaw   Windows Comma . . .

So what am I doing wrong - have to reboot???

< Message edited by Grinder -- 1/6/2011 3:11:11 AM >

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 9
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 1/8/2011 1:33:07 AM   
osiris_slith

HI

My apolgies..this fix works very nicely ..i was just not doing it right

rene

(in reply to NCrawler)
Post #: 10
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 1/12/2011 7:40:23 PM   
Mentat

Thanks a million! You have just saved my Windows7 computer!

All I would want now is some way to slow down the navigation on the map when you move the cursor to the edge, as I was used to navigating that way. Oh well, I suppose I will have to live with navigating by clicking on the overview map. Not as practical but at least the game is playable.

It would have been nice, and forward compatible, to have had a preferences setting where the map scrolling speed is ruled by a numerical value for damping the speed. That would have required a patch into the program itself though and I wonder if MatrixGames even have the source code available any longer...?

Best game ever made, SPWAW!

Edit: Ooops: It was already there, under preferences as "Scroll delay". Told ya, best game ever made!

< Message edited by Mentat -- 1/12/2011 7:44:31 PM >

(in reply to osiris_slith)
Post #: 11
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 1/12/2011 11:45:22 PM   
planner 3

To mentat....."My eyes have seen the glory of Preference settings..........." gets yer every time.

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to Mentat)
Post #: 12
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 3/6/2011 11:09:00 AM   
SP4EVER

Killing explorer.exe in Windows Vista/7 to fix the color palette while running a game like SPWAW is not really the best possible solution. For one thing you may have problems restarting explorer. Secondly you can not multi task. I.e minimize spwaw and use email, etc.

However there are built-in compatibility options in Windows Vista and 7 that can be enabled to run older games without the need to kill explorer. The compatibility modes are enabled in Windows registry.

Now I have not tested how this works on SPWaW, but it has worked on a number of other old games having the color corruption problem on Windows Vista/7.

The easy way:
There is the fan made "Direct Draw Compatibility Tool" available that automates the registry editing process. The user only needs to run the Tool once and browse to the games .exe file he wants to patch and hit apply.
http://www.4shared.com/file/xeIljXSm/DirectDraw_Compatibility_Tool_.html

The manual method:
To enable the DirectDraw compatibility mode for SPWaW manualy you need to copy paste the folowing text string to notepad and save it to a file with the extension (.REG).
So you should then have a file called SPWAW_colorfix.reg for example. Then just run it and if all goes well you should get a promt asking if you want to add the information to your registry. Click Yes.

Copy paste the text below to your notepad:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\SPWaW-v8.403]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="mech.exe"
"ID"=hex:45,1a,94,43

If you have a 64 bit operating system you need to copy paste this text instead:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\DirectDraw\Compatibility\SPWaW-v8.403]
"Flags"=hex:00,08,00,00
"Name"="mech.exe"
"ID"=hex:45,1a,94,43

So if this works out you should be able to start the game from mech.exe and get no color corruption. Also note that this fix is for SPWaW (Steel Panthers World at War) version 8.403 and will not work on other versions of the game. It should work on Enhanced mod too because enhanced mod uses the 8.403 exe file.

< Message edited by SP4EVER -- 4/5/2011 12:40:10 PM >

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 13
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 3/6/2011 8:53:01 PM   
Alby

I just need a good fix for the artillery screen delay thingy..

(in reply to SP4EVER)
Post #: 14
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 3/7/2011 3:05:32 PM   
SP4EVER

The artillery screen bug is due to modern computers multicore CPU's most likely. Although it might also be due to some other compatibility issue.
There are ways to tell Windows to run a exe file in single core affinity though this can be tricky sometimes...

There is another way luckily. That is to update the exe file itself so there is no need to run separate scripts to enable the single core affinity.

To fix the affinity in the exe there is the program ImageCFG:
http://www.robpol86.com/index.php/ImageCFG

Here are links to the updated mech.exe files that should tell the computer to run the game in singlecore instead of multicore mode:

-Download and use this one if you have just the normal game patched to version 8.403.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20195896/mech_8403_cpu_fix-upd.zip

-Use this one if you have the Enhanced FR mod.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20195899/Mech_ENH_FR_cpu_fix-upd.zip

Do tell me if this works (or doesn't). I can't test this myself since my computer has an old single core cpu...

UPDATE:
I edited the affinity to 0x2 instead of 0x1 so it should now use the second core of a multicore CPU. This might work better.

< Message edited by SP4EVER -- 4/6/2011 12:33:07 PM >

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 15
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 3/7/2011 4:16:46 PM   
planner 3

SP4EVER: I don't really have any probs, well yeah, I have one.....can you figure a fix to make tanks reverse in SPwaw please. I have played this game since ber 5 and I still dream of not showing my tail to the AI.

(in reply to SP4EVER)
Post #: 16
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 3/7/2011 5:26:50 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: SP4EVER

The artillery screen bug is due to modern computers multicore CPU's most likely. Although it might also be due to some other compatibility issue.
There are ways to tell Windows to run a exe file in single core affinity though this can be tricky sometimes...

There is another way luckily. That is to update the exe file itself so there is no need to run separate scripts to enable the single core affinity.

Here are links to the updated mech.exe files that should tell the computer to run the game in singlecore instead of multicore mode:

-Download and use this one if you have just the normal game patched to version 8.403.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20072035/mech_8403_cpu_fix.zip

-Use this one if you have the Enhanced FR mod.
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20072037/Mech_ENH_FR_cpu_fix.zip

Do tell me if this works (or doesn't). I can't test this myself since my computer has an old single core cpu...

It did NOT work for me, running Windows 7.
I am using it in conjunction with the color fix program

< Message edited by Alby -- 3/7/2011 5:27:51 PM >

(in reply to SP4EVER)
Post #: 17
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 3/7/2011 6:10:20 PM   
SP4EVER

Then it can't be a problem related to multicore CPU's either. Thats a bummer.

I know someone who has the artillery screen problem on his Windows 7 laptop. I'll have to try and see if he will let me mess with he's computer.

I strongly believe though that it is fixable. There are alot of things still to try.

For one there is the Aplication Compatibility Toolkit by Microsoft that has 100 or so fixes selectable so theres one place to start. Just have to go through the entire list one by one and see if any of the fixes work.

Then there are some dll files in the game directory that can be updated. That helps sometimes. I think it was windx.dll that has a newer version available online somewhere. It might fix something when updated... or not. I'll have to search for that.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 18
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 3/7/2011 7:01:58 PM   
SP4EVER

Found the dll file I was talking about...

It was infact NCrawler's post at Shrapnelgames that had the link to the website regarding WinVFX.

http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/

On that site in the bottom there is the link for VFX Version 1.19.

Not sure if it matters at all, but one can update the windx.dll in the game directory with a newer dll from the archive available at the site.
Basicaly you download this archive:
http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/misc/vfx119.zip
Then unzip it somewhere in a temporary folder.
Then you should find a folder named "WINVFX16" there and a file called "winvfx16.dll" in it. Then rename that file to "windx.dll" and copy that in your game dir overwriting the old one.

(in reply to SP4EVER)
Post #: 19
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 3/12/2011 12:34:59 PM   
SP4EVER

No luck with the artillery screen bug I'm afraid.

After reading these posts...
http://enhanced.freeforums.org/windows-7-direcx-11-display-erratic-colors-t579.html

I wonder if it is a problem with laptop computers and their advanced cpu management routines? Because It appears changing the game to run on the second core worked for the guy who posted the fix there. Maybe he had a desktop computer instead of a laptop?

So it would seem multicore cpus is indeed the problem, but even forcing the game to run on one core will not solve the problem for all systems.

I think this might need a fix in the game code itself. Some tweaking with the values for how the game handles cpu time. That is ofcourse beyond our abilities to do.

Anyway I'm out of options.

(in reply to SP4EVER)
Post #: 20
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 3/13/2011 6:28:32 PM   
Alby

quote:

No luck with the artillery screen bug I'm afraid.

After reading these posts...
http://enhanced.freeforums.org/windows-7-direcx-11-display-erratic-colors-t579.html

I wonder if it is a problem with laptop computers and their advanced cpu management routines? Because It appears changing the game to run on the second core worked for the guy who posted the fix there. Maybe he had a desktop computer instead of a laptop?

So it would seem multicore cpus is indeed the problem, but even forcing the game to run on one core will not solve the problem for all systems.

I think this might need a fix in the game code itself. Some tweaking with the values for how the game handles cpu time. That is ofcourse beyond our abilities to do.

Anyway I'm out of options.

I am not on a laptop, but I can deal with the artilery screen problem, its more of an annoyance than it is a game killer for me.

(in reply to SP4EVER)
Post #: 21
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 5/13/2011 7:20:31 AM   
NCrawler

quote:

Not sure if it matters at all, but one can update the windx.dll in the game directory with a newer dll from the archive available at the site.
Basicaly you download this archive:
http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/misc/vfx119.zip
Then unzip it somewhere in a temporary folder.
Then you should find a folder named "WINVFX16" there and a file called "winvfx16.dll" in it. Then rename that file to "windx.dll" and copy that in your game dir overwriting the old one.

Not a good idea. The windx.dll in SP:WAW IS NOT a winvfx library! It looks like they inline compiled the winvfx??.lib files instead of using the .dll.

(in reply to SP4EVER)
Post #: 22
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 5/13/2011 7:23:28 AM   
NCrawler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alby

I am almost finished with a proxy ddraw.dll that uses GDI to render the graphics on screen which will do away with the 'closing explorer.exe' trick.

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 23
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 5/15/2011 4:22:22 PM   
Alby

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCrawler

quote:

I am almost finished with a proxy ddraw.dll that uses GDI to render the graphics on screen which will do away with the 'closing explorer.exe' trick.

Sounds good, altho it's all over my head...LOL

(in reply to NCrawler)
Post #: 24
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 5/16/2011 4:06:21 AM   
NCrawler

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCrawler

quote:

Sounds good, altho it's all over my head...LOL

It's just a library file (ddraw.dll) which intercepts all calls that the game makes to DirectDraw and allows the programmer to insert his/her own routines before passing control back to the real DirectDraw. Doing it this way, the program can be rendered with OpenGL instead of DD which fixes the weird color issues. So far in my testing, it seems to improve the artillery dialog also. I almost have it at the point where it can be released. I need it tested on different systems so would you mind giving me a hand testing it?

(in reply to Alby)
Post #: 25
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 5/29/2011 5:22:50 AM   
fmonster

I, for one, am interested in your fix, NCrawler. While the other fix works on colors, my game becomes very sluggish and I can't seem to get sound, where before adding the file I had a good sppedy game with bad colors. Hope you fix comes soon, and thanks for the effort!

Matrix Games Owned

- American Civil War
- Forge Of Freedom
- John Tiller's Campaign Series
- TOAW III
- War In The Pacific
- War In The Pacific AE
- War Plan Orange
- SP:WaW
- Brother Against Brother
- Carriers at War

(in reply to NCrawler)
Post #: 26
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 5/29/2011 2:30:26 PM   
NCrawler

quote:

ORIGINAL: fmonster

I, for one, am interested in your fix, NCrawler. While the other fix works on colors, my game becomes very sluggish and I can't seem to get sound, where before adding the file I had a good sppedy game with bad colors. Hope you fix comes soon, and thanks for the effort!

PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

(in reply to fmonster)
Post #: 27
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 8/23/2011 7:07:42 AM   
pbhawkin1

Hi,
I have Ncrawler's fix and it gets the game to run BUT I too have the arty bug AND it makes it almost unplayable as I am unable to select any of the various options in the menu!
I do find the closing of explorer to be a issue too and would like to try your DLL as well.

thanks.

peter

Regards

(in reply to NCrawler)
Post #: 28
RE: Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix - 8/23/2011 4:03:52 PM   
planner 3

pbhawkins: I found that if I hit "SHIFT" and hold it, prior to making any selections on the Artillery swcreen that the majority of the problems disappear. HTH you.

(in reply to pbhawkin1)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Windows 7 *GUARANTEED* fix Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI