Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Player Tutorial

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: New Player Tutorial Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/3/2011 3:50:24 PM   
pzgndr

spelk, and other newbies, welcome! Please check ou the updated v1.08 User Manual in the \Data\Docs directory. It has more tutorial-type tips and additional helpful info than the original manual had, such as the Player Notes in the back from the original gameboard rules. Until Yearworld finishes a proper tutorial guide with screenshots and such, reviewing the latest manual is pretty good way to start. Read some, play some, read some more, play some more, etc. Enjoy!

(in reply to Dancing Bear)
Post #: 31
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/3/2011 6:28:52 PM   
spelk

Ah right, thanks for the info. I'll look at that doc.

I've been trying to glean some info on how to play it from the Out of Eight review, as silly as that sounds. I've also been watching some of the AAR's on Youtube for inspiration. But the game's UI does seem quite daunting for a total newcomer.

I was intrigued by the game, when I saw a thread for it over at the wargamer.com forums saying you could play the campaign, and export the battles out and play them in Histwar Les Grognards. So I thought I'd check the game out.. but I guess before I get to that stage, I just need to fathom the basic game and its UI.

Any help the folks here could give would be most appreciated. Plus waiting on Yearworld and his updated tutorial...

< Message edited by spelk -- 1/3/2011 6:31:43 PM >

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 32
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/27/2011 10:47:44 PM   
Yearworld

Hi all,

I am almost done with this tutorial. I should have it finished after the weekend I hope. When you read it please give feedback here or ask me questions at yearworld57@yahoo.com. Would any new players be interested in starting a learning PBEM game? Let me know as I will be willing to play one to answer questions and help people get started.

Yearworld

(in reply to spelk)
Post #: 33
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/28/2011 2:34:20 PM   
Marshall Ellis

Thanks for all of your efforts here Yearworld!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis
Outflank Strategy War Games

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 34
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/29/2011 4:03:13 AM   
sabre1

Yep thanks Yearworld, and I may take you up on your offer. I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy the game now. I was waiting for that all inclusive patch so you don't have to patch but one time. Correct me if I was misinformed, but as I understand it the upgrade process is a bit convoluted?

(in reply to Marshall Ellis)
Post #: 35
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/29/2011 4:46:44 PM   
spelk

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yearworld
I am almost done with this tutorial. I should have it finished after the weekend I hope. When you read it please give feedback here or ask me questions at yearworld57@yahoo.com. Would any new players be interested in starting a learning PBEM game? Let me know as I will be willing to play one to answer questions and help people get started.
Yearworld

Thats great news Yearworld! Looking forward to reading the tutorial.

I'd be willing to join a newbie "learning" PBEM. As long as the schedule isn't too demanding.

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 36
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/30/2011 12:10:56 PM   
Dancing Bear

quote:

Hi all,

Yearworld

Looking forward to taking a look. Thanks for putting this together.

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 37
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/31/2011 1:28:02 PM   
Yearworld

Here is the Tutorial Link. Check it out and let me know what I did wrong or what you didn't understand. It covers 1 full turn and I have more written but I wanted everyone to check out this part first and let me know what you think.

Basic Tutorial Link:
www.sendspace.com/file/mn3cmg

Advanced Tutorial-I just started this but it shows how to do manual setup whcih some have asked for.
www.sendspace.com/file/i545yp

< Message edited by Yearworld -- 1/31/2011 1:32:06 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/31/2011 10:38:27 PM   
spelk

Thanks for this Yearworld, I've printed it out and will take a look at it over the next few days. This could be my door opener into the game, much appreciated!

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 39
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/1/2011 3:25:47 AM   
Dancing Bear

I took a quick look. Very nice dedication.

At first glance, I thought you might want to add a short section on how to host a game.

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 40
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/1/2011 12:45:25 PM   
Yearworld

Thanks everyone.

DB I plan on adding that to the Advanced Tutorial. I don't want to confuse people with too much info at first. I plan on adding sections about chit choices as well as covering nation specific rules in the advanced tutorial. Also I have to add a part about Econ turn in the Basic Tutorial but I am struggling a little on how to make it understandable without being too complex. :)

Kevin

Post #: 41
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/1/2011 1:22:20 PM   
pzgndr

The tutorial looks good and provides a nice outline for getting through the mechanics of the first turn. Of course, the next newbie questions are about what to do and that's a whole different story...

For hosting pbem games, I'd like to update the user manual for v1.09 to help clarify things for newbies (and everyone else). Once the v1.08.05 hotfix is released and hosts have a chance to try the new admin features, any and all feedback would be appreciated.

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 42
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/7/2011 6:07:55 AM   
gazfun

quote:

Here is the Tutorial Link. Check it out and let me know what I did wrong or what you didn't understand. It covers 1 full turn and I have more written but I wanted everyone to check out this part first and let me know what you think.

Basic Tutorial Link:
www.sendspace.com/file/mn3cmg

Advanced Tutorial-I just started this but it shows how to do manual setup whcih some have asked for.
www.sendspace.com/file/i545yp

Looks great, Ive only had a quick look.
Would it be ok to put this up on the TGHQ site?

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 43
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/7/2011 1:03:35 PM   
Marshall Ellis

quote:

Thanks everyone.

DB I plan on adding that to the Advanced Tutorial. I don't want to confuse people with too much info at first. I plan on adding sections about chit choices as well as covering nation specific rules in the advanced tutorial. Also I have to add a part about Econ turn in the Basic Tutorial but I am struggling a little on how to make it understandable without being too complex. :)

Kevin

I have looked at both your tutorials and they are FANTASTIC! I really appreciate you spending this time on the game! It is a better game because of you Kevin!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 44
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/7/2011 5:11:28 PM   
Yearworld

Thanks everyone. Also I would like to thank Dancing Bear for helping me edit and fix some problems with the tutorial which helped a lot!

Gazfun please wait to post until I have fixed the changes and have added the econ phase onto the basic tutorial. I am almost done with it.

Yearworld

Post #: 45
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/10/2011 11:08:29 PM   
Yearworld

Hi all,

Has anyone used the Tutorial yet? If you have please let me know if you are having any problems understanding anything.
I am happy to receive questions and comments at yearworld57@yahoo.com.

A finished Basic Tutorial should be coming soon hopefully in PDF format.

Kevin

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 46
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/13/2011 1:08:42 PM   
Dancing Bear

I've had a look through the tutorial and it is very good. I would recommend even experienced players take a look, as you might learn something (or be warned that the new players might know more than you).

This is good if we want new players to take up the game to keep it going, so the more input provided the better. Yearworld is quite good at making changes, and a quick email with a suggestion is all you need to do. Even if you have not read the tutorial, send in anything you think might be confusing to new players, and if it is not already there, it can be added.

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 47
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/21/2011 6:14:21 PM   
Yearworld

The Basic Tutorial is finally finished. If you downloaded an earlier version, this one has more info so you might want to download again.

Here it is in PDF Format.

www.sendspace.com/file/yvt9vj
1. Click on Link above
2. Go to bottom of screen and click on the big orange button that says DOWNLOAD.
(If you do not see the Orange DOWNLOAD button you might have to click on "Regular Download" first.)

Any problems please ask here and/or email me at yearworld57@yahoo.com

Thanks

Kevin

< Message edited by Yearworld -- 2/21/2011 6:15:23 PM >

Post #: 48
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/22/2011 5:25:20 PM   
kirk23

Hello Yearworld,May I say that I'm delighted with your very kind jesture off dedicating your tutorial to my late uncle Graham ( hellfirejet ).Your tutorial is exellent,I might in the future have the time to play this great game,once my uni studies have been concluded,thanks again for your kind dedication.

Make it so!

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 49
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/23/2011 5:38:03 PM   
Yearworld

You are welcome Kirk23. Graham(hellfirejet) was a wonderful person and had lots of great ideas for EIA and was one of the people to ask for a tutorial to be created for new players. I am happy to dedicate the tutorial to him.

Yearworld(Kevin)

(in reply to kirk23)
Post #: 50
RE: New Player Tutorial - 3/1/2011 12:13:27 PM   
Marshall Ellis

This was VERY awesome of you Kevin!

Thank you

Marshall Ellis

(in reply to Yearworld)
Post #: 51
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/6/2017 1:06:05 PM   
76mm

I know it's been awhile, but would anyone have copies of these tutorials to share? All of the links are dead.

Post #: 52
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/6/2017 7:47:10 PM   
pzgndr

I checked my files and don't have a copy of the Yearworld's old drafts. However, there is the Murat Tutorial in the member's area under member's downloads. I'm also posting it here for convenience.

For new players this is still pretty good for learning the interface and basic mechanics of the game. I've also spent time with the user manual updates over the years trying to clarify things as needed and add some tips here and there. Really, it's not too difficult to learn "how" to do specific things in EIA and a quick review of the manual as needed should get players up to speed in a couple of games. The challenge is learning "what" you should be doing and for that the manual has sections 16, 17 and 18 for player notes and strategy guides. Beyond that, players need experience, and alternately playing the different major powers with their various differences helps one to learn. All I can add is: Good Luck!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by pzgndr -- 1/6/2017 7:48:35 PM >

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 53
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/6/2017 11:00:36 PM   
76mm

Thanks much. I've got Murat's tutorial, but honestly it is difficultult to read on a tablet. I'm still going through the revised manual, maybe it will answer most of my questions.

Frankly, for a game that seems to have a pretty devoted following (at least for the board game), there is not much out there for instruction. Most of the links I've come across are dead.

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 54
RE: New Player Tutorial - 2/7/2017 6:04:02 PM   
bazjak

Would be good if we could have those tutorials
I have Murals but would like the other

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 55
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/7/2020 9:18:15 PM   
awenloren

thanks for the tutorial pzgndr, this game is impossible without a tutorial, i got stuck at setup, but from taking a further look this game is soo hard to learn.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 56
RE: New Player Tutorial - 1/8/2020 1:39:55 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: awenloren
i got stuck at setup, but from taking a further look this game is soo hard to learn.

Firstly, there are saved setups you can select that get you going. You can edit these or setup from scratch and save your custom setups as you get experience.

Yes, EIA is hard to learn but not impossible. As I mention above in Post #53, the Murat tutorial is pretty good at showing you what buttons to click to perform basic functions. But EIA is complicated with different phases and the different phase buttons at the bottom of the screen. It takes a few practice games to figure it all out. The manual provides good information to help when you get stuck. After you figure out "how" to do things, then you can start figuring out "what" to!

Bill
Empires in Arms Development Team

(in reply to awenloren)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> RE: New Player Tutorial Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI