Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 4:43:14 PM   
taltamir

uploaded as taltamir 1.0.4.6 2010-05-14 retiring ships, not building.rar

On a new game on 1.0.4.6, clean install.

the AI keeps on trying to retire my ships and bases. Specifically, my troop transports and space ports. I only have a few, they are the latest model, and I am swimming in cash, yet it is retiring them. EX: the ship named TT6 just got a retire order.

Also, I have ship building turned on, the AI did not build ONE SINGLE SHIP! EVER! It only retired my ships and bases which I built.

Currently my only military ships are the 4 troop transports I built, and a few ships I captured from the enemy. Not a single ship of my own design has ever been build (this is partially my mistake, I assumed that if I tell it to auto build, it will auto build... I shall now build them manually)...

And why isn't there an automation option for "retiring ships" (so that I could disable it)? I want the computer to build ships, but prohibit it from retiring them! (I will personally retire ships if need be). Would disabling ship building casue it to no longer retire my ships and bases?

PS. also in that game, the AI did not recruit a single agent, I had to recruit all of them myself.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/14/2010 4:44:19 PM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.
Post #: 1
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 4:55:36 PM   
taltamir

it seems the AI is still retiring my ships even after I disabled ship building!!!

Also, take a look at planet XX676 (my capital)... there is a traffic jam of 60+ passenger ships trying to dock with it. they are not "stuck" in that they do manage to dock, do their thing, and leave... but they should probably dock via the spaceport (which has much more docking slots)...

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 4:56:57 PM   
Athalian

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

it seems the AI is still retiring my ships even after I disabled ship building!!!

Also, take a look at planet XX676 (my capital)... there is a traffic jam of 60+ passenger ships trying to dock with it. they are not "stuck" in that they do manage to dock, do their thing, and leave... but they should probably dock via the spaceport (which has much more docking slots)...

They can't pick up population from your station, only planet

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 5:16:53 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Athalian

quote:

They can't pick up population from your station, only planet

I KNOW that... I suggest that they be able to dock with the spaceport in order to pickup population from the planet above which that very spaceport resides.

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 5:27:37 PM   
Athalian

Hmm, yes. Maybe only if the station has population storage thingies. Though not sure what all those people would do up in the space station. Maybe gambling :D

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 5
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 5:37:28 PM   
taltamir

quote:

Hmm, yes. Maybe only if the station has population storage thingies. Though not sure what all those people would do up in the space station. Maybe gambling :D

Well, there is a recreation center AND a hospital in every space port... I am suggesting that being docked with the spaceport will be "effectively" the same as docking with the planet.

mmm... actually, here is another idea. move my military ships to the top of the queue. the order for docking should be: 1. My military ships. 2. Allied military ships. 3. My civilian ships 4. Allied civilian ships 5. neutral military ships 6. neutral civilian ships

If my military ships need to dock, they should get to the top of the list, not wait in line behind 60 civilian ships that belong to other empires. Also, perhaps increase the amount of planetary docks based on population? well, there are tons of way to go about it actually.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/14/2010 5:40:26 PM >

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 6
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 5:46:56 PM   
Athalian

Youre right, still think there should be somewhere to store the population though. 1 million is a lot of pop just to appear at spaceport :) Would be nice if every spaceport could have population from the planet doing what people do when they go to a spaceport. Kinda like a resort base, just lot less space for people and not the same appeal as a resort base.

I do agree on that, military ships should get in front of the line. Both docking and repair slots :) It is after all a semi military station thats government controlled.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 7
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 5:54:16 PM   
taltamir

quote:

Youre right, still think there should be somewhere to store the population though. 1 million is a lot of pop just to appear at spaceport :) Would be nice if every spaceport could have population from the planet doing what people do when they go to a spaceport. Kinda like a resort base, just lot less space for people and not the same appeal as a resort base.
they don't appear at a spaceport, and they are never STORED at a spaceport... does a train station need HOUSING for people? no... they walk in one side and come out the other. The storage is the planet and the target ship.

quote:

I do agree on that, military ships should get in front of the line. Both docking and repair slots :) It is after all a semi military station thats government controlled.
For that matter, it should prioritize the building of weapons, armor, shields, and power before building other components (while constructing / repairing ships that is).

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/14/2010 5:56:05 PM >

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 8
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 6:05:03 PM   
Athalian

quote:

quote:

they don't appear at a spaceport, and they are never STORED at a spaceport... does a train station need HOUSING for people? no... they walk in one side and come out the other. The storage is the planet and the target ship.

Well, they do need housing as moving 1 million people from planet to the port takes time, not to mention they need their belongings with them :). Well, depending on what method they get the people up to the station. So yea, kinda need that housing for that people. A lot of people moving through cause trouble on even trainstations for moving goods and sutch. Its a big logistics issue :)

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 9
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 6:12:52 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, they do need housing as moving 1 million people from planet to the port takes time, not to mention they need their belongings with them :). Well, depending on what method they get the people up to the station. So yea, kinda need that housing for that people. A lot of people moving through cause trouble on even trainstations for moving goods and sutch. Its a big logistics issue :)

Who said it shouldn't take time? Act as a "train station" and take time to transfer them from point A to point B, without housing them in the port.

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 10
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 6:17:56 PM   
Athalian

That could work I guess :) Though if its going to take time, you should have the option to make it prefer docking on planets. I usually dont have problems with not enough docking slots on a planet, rather want people distribution go faster :)

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 11
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 6:21:57 PM   
taltamir

quote:

That could work I guess :) Though if its going to take time, you should have the option to make it prefer docking on planets. I usually dont have problems with not enough docking slots on a planet, rather want people distribution go faster :)

well yes, the point is to avoid traffic jams... i think an ideal solution would be to increase a planet's ports, either via population, or via the existence of a spaceport.

in retrospect, it shouldn't take more time... it is more practical to dock a ship in a spaceport and load troops then it is to LAND it on the planet and then fly back up (actually it is neigh impossible to land such vessels and then bring them back to space.)... the "docking in a planet" makes no sense at all. at best it has some very basic spaceport facilities.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/14/2010 6:23:55 PM >

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 12
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 6:30:27 PM   
Athalian

quote:

quote:

well yes, the point is to avoid traffic jams... i think an ideal solution would be to increase a planet's ports, either via population, or via the existence of a spaceport.

in retrospect, it shouldn't take more time... it is more practical to dock a ship in a spaceport and load troops then it is to LAND it on the planet and then fly back up (actually it is neigh impossible to land such vessels and then bring them back to space.)... the "docking in a planet" makes no sense at all. at best it has some very basic spaceport facilities.

You are right there, both on the amount of docking slots on a planet and the fact that some of those ships really should never manage to get to orbit. Construction ships and colony ships should be built in orbit.

I do wish to have population in the spaceports, working and sutch things. Also, due constraint of the space on the planet, having population in orbit is the logical thing to do :)

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 13
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 6:37:27 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

quote:

You are right there, both on the amount of docking slots on a planet and the fact that some of those ships really should never manage to get to orbit. Construction ships and colony ships should be built in orbit.

I do wish to have population in the spaceports, working and sutch things. Also, due constraint of the space on the planet, having population in orbit is the logical thing to do :)

true, it does make sense to have population in orbit, and for population transfer to orbit to be non instantaneous (just as long as that doesn't mean "longer than "docking" at a planet")

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 14
RE: 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing - 5/14/2010 6:56:55 PM   
Athalian

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

true, it does make sense to have population in orbit, and for population transfer to orbit to be non instantaneous (just as long as that doesn't mean "longer than "docking" at a planet")

Like a biodome to expand amount of space avaiable, maybe for food production so planetside could be used for other things like more space for population :) The planetary construction yards should only be used to construct small planetary to orbit shuttles/cargo transports (new ship classes ;)) and all other construction be done in orbit. Though I understand this can be a bit of problem as the 200 size limit for spaceyards at start is used to limit the size of millitary ships at the beginning of the game. Maybe a new type of station with construction drones equiped to build constructors and colony ships. Problem will be explaining exactly why those cant be used for military ships :/

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.0.4.6 Ship building = retire my ships, build nothing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI