Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Possible espionage bug turns out to be more design goodness, it seems. :)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Possible espionage bug turns out to be more design goodness, it seems. :) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Possible espionage bug turns out to be more design good... - 5/18/2010 10:16:31 PM   
virgil_182

I have had several of my espionage agents caught by target empires, but there seems to be no diplomacy or reputation hit happening.

I was under the assumption, from the manual, that a failed espionage attempt would result in serious diplomatic repurcussions.

All I am seeing so far is the loss of the agent. The empires I targeted like me, and the missions were just to steal information, or incite rebellion at specific colonies to cement my galactic information and train my spies, but it seems getting caught should be cause for diplomatic fallout.

Am I missing something ? Does the current diplomatic status of the target affect the outcome of failed missions, or are there certain espionage missions that do not generate diplomacy repurcusions ?

I am running the latest beta patch 1.0.4.6.

Thanks for your time.

< Message edited by virgil_182 -- 5/18/2010 11:47:29 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Possible espionage bug ? - 5/18/2010 10:34:13 PM   
virgil_182

I did some more testing, and it looks like I jumped the gun on assuming espionage repercussions were broken.

I occurred to me that there was far more depth to the simulation than meets the eye, which has been my observation of DW generally.

Testing in various random games failed espionage attempts create different results each time, I assume this is somehow based on the complexities of the empire interactions before the mission. In some cases the diplomacy hit was hundreds of points leading to very strained relations.

In the actual game in which first thought it was a bug, the empires are all very large, very rich, and getting along fairly well, with the exception of some expected border skirmishes. So espionage incidents are, apparently, handled in context.

DW is consistently amazing me with it's unseen depth. My testing seems to show that the simulation takes into account the desire of large, stable empires, to wish to remain so. As in real life, why destroy arrangements that are making everyone prosper. A spy gets caught with his hands in the cookie jar, the nation that sent him immediately denies ever knowing he / she existed, some money changes hands, and empires go on.

< Message edited by virgil_182 -- 5/18/2010 11:41:32 PM >

(in reply to virgil_182)
Post #: 2
RE: Possible espionage bug ? - 5/19/2010 7:01:46 AM   
Bartje

I completely agree with your observations on DW's depth.

I feel that it would benefit the game greaty if features such as this were made more visible to the player.

It would lower the learning curve as well as emphasize just how varied and complex the game is!

(in reply to virgil_182)
Post #: 3
RE: Possible espionage bug ? - 5/19/2010 7:18:53 AM   
Astax

I can understand this. In my game I'm very advanced and BIG. So it would be silly for me to declare war on a struggling empire that has like 2 systems to get revenge for their failed spying attempts. The war weariness alone would not be worth it. So in this Context, it should have little impact on diplomatic relations. More or less I would expect them to spy on me.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 4
RE: Possible espionage bug ? - 5/19/2010 12:21:38 PM   
Fishman

That's not true. It wouldn't be silly. What you should do is load up your transports, and move them into position. Declare war, wipe him out, and voila, war over in 2 minutes and you've got yourself a new homeworld-level planet. Heck, sometimes I've been able to force subjugation on them without a shot fired, because THEY declared war on ME. Maybe they were trying for a "mouse that roared" gambit.

< Message edited by Fishman -- 5/19/2010 12:22:13 PM >

(in reply to Astax)
Post #: 5
RE: Possible espionage bug ? - 5/19/2010 6:34:35 PM   
Dadekster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishman

That's not true. It wouldn't be silly. What you should do is load up your transports, and move them into position. Declare war, wipe him out, and voila, war over in 2 minutes and you've got yourself a new homeworld-level planet. Heck, sometimes I've been able to force subjugation on them without a shot fired, because THEY declared war on ME. Maybe they were trying for a "mouse that roared" gambit.

Not everyone likes to do that. Do that enough and then you are the only empire remaining and game over...now what? I prefer to roleplay my empire a bit. If you are playing a conquest game, sure, load the transports and unleash the dogs of war. But if you are playing a peaceful high tech empire/race that doesn't make sense imo.

To each their own.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Possible espionage bug turns out to be more design goodness, it seems. :) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI