Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 7/4/2003 2:54:37 AM   
G_X

Actually, I had heard about the Compressed Air Mortars, it's kinda what gave us the idea.

Oh, and Mortars hitting a ground within close proximity of a tank, either in the front or back, would definitely score what SPWaW would consider a bottom hit, the bottom armor on most tanks, even today, is next to Nill, maybe 20mm on WWII tanks. That means that the mortar exploding very close to that would be very likely to explode with enough force to warp the steel upwards, and that's right in the crew compartment, plus the shrapnel and debris.

What's really annoying is losing a MBT to a 81mm Mortar in Modern-day Sims. Losing a T-72 to a Rifle-Platoon's Organics is sh!t.

If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 31
- 7/4/2003 3:46:42 AM   
arethusa

Even without injuring the crew, warping the bottom plates in the front could cause the gearbox to jam, immobilizing the tank.

Or a blast coming up under the engine compartment in the rear could stop the engine. Diesels will stop quickly if the fuel lines get even a tiny bit of air coming in through a loosened joint. And it shudders to think about what a hit underneath a gas engine could do.:(

"Good military intelligence is worth at least as much as an extra regiment."

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 32
- 7/4/2003 4:05:24 AM   
Belisarius

arethusa, that's immobilization. :p Still - how do you get a kill with a bottom hit from a mortar? :)

I guess this discussion is a moot point, since bottom kills with mortars are perfectly doable in SP:WAW, realistic or not. :cool:

Got StuG?

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 33
- 7/4/2003 12:09:48 PM   
G_X

81mm Mortar, hitting within two feet of the front or back of an AFV, will explode with enough force to shatter the underbelly Armor apparently.

I'm not gonna argue, 8.1cm's of Mortar exploding nearby is gonna cause a pretty big boom.

If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 34
- 7/4/2003 8:53:51 PM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Voriax
[B]Zalinski dynamite gun:
http://www.heliograph.com/trmgs/trmgs1/dynamite.shtml

Sims-Dudley:
http://www.spanamwar.com/dynamite.htm

Enjoy

Voriax [/B][/QUOTE]

After reading about the Sims-Dudley, it seems to be more along the lines of a highpressure/lowpressure gun. They were a later innovation that used a small charge in a strong casing which then bled the gas into the breech of the gun slowly to launch the charge. The lower acceleration of the round allowed thinner walls for the shell and less wear and tear on the gun.
thanks, John.

(in reply to Vetkin)
Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI