Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Price of this game.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Price of this game. Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 12:26:24 AM   
axisandallies

Let's get this out in the open now. This game is around the corner I know it. So what is going to be the SRP of this game? My guess is going to be 59.99 for DDL.

Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader
Post #: 1
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 12:48:49 AM   
wodin

This game is a monster game and will be priced similar to War in the Pacific I expect. I expect around $80, so don't kid yourself.

I actually don't have a problem with this because we have been informed it will be a premium price....forwarned and all that...
Also with Panthers Game its an update version of their previous game which isnt really a monster like War in the Pacific and this one so for me though I was excited about the Bulge game it wasn't going to be a game I coudn't live without or beg and borrow for (literally).

With this game at least I know it will be expensive and I have plenty of time to budget for it...no massive suprises....

< Message edited by wodin -- 5/29/2010 12:49:28 AM >

(in reply to axisandallies)
Post #: 2
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 1:18:06 AM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

This game is a monster game and will be priced similar to War in the Pacific I expect. I expect around $80, so don't kid yourself.

I actually don't have a problem with this because we have been informed it will be a premium price....forwarned and all that...
Also with Panthers Game its an update version of their previous game which isnt really a monster like War in the Pacific and this one so for me though I was excited about the Bulge game it wasn't going to be a game I coudn't live without or beg and borrow for (literally).

With this game at least I know it will be expensive and I have plenty of time to budget for it...no massive suprises....

Well I guess I would pay $80 for this game. I will buy this game. But I don't see Matrix games going back to back $80 games, it would be like WWIII.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 1:28:03 AM   
htuna

Out of my price range

Post #: 4
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 1:32:03 AM   
wodin

I think this game is a fair few months away as they haven't hit beta yet.

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 5
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 1:44:00 AM   
Muzrub

The theory is $80, costly.

Of course a lot of work has gone into it, but that is the case with most things.

My question is $80 (or there about's) for boxed version, or cheaper for digital download?

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 6
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 1:45:09 AM   
axisandallies

Wodin, I know you are on a budget and so am I. Every month I save $25 for wargames. Last wargame I bought was scwc from battlefront. I enjoyed slitherine until the matrix merger. I wish there was more sites we could download games from i.e games that just came out.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 7
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 1:47:01 AM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Muzrub

Of course a lot of work has gone into it, but that is the case with most things.

My question is $80 (or there about's) for boxed version, or cheaper for digital download?

I don't think they could ask more than 59.99 ddl for this game.

(in reply to Muzrub)
Post #: 8
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 7:10:20 AM   
usecase

Obviously, they can ask whatever price they like. I was loathe to post on the Bulge forum, but while I don't mind paying for a monster game like WITP-AE, I won't pay a premium for a smaller scale game. I'm going to buy WITE as long as I can play the whole campaign.

The only thing that would put me off is if they released a version covering (say) '41-'43 ;) and saved the rest for an expansion pack. Of course, that's not going to happen, thank goodness.

Post #: 9
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 10:49:56 AM   
demyansk

I won't pay 80 bucks, I'll continue to play TOAW3. In the $ 40.00 price range more like it.

Post #: 10
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 11:41:33 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: usecase

Obviously, they can ask whatever price they like. I was loathe to post on the Bulge forum, but while I don't mind paying for a monster game like WITP-AE, I won't pay a premium for a smaller scale game. I'm going to buy WITE as long as I can play the whole campaign.

The only thing that would put me off is if they released a version covering (say) '41-'43 ;) and saved the rest for an expansion pack. Of course, that's not going to happen, thank goodness.

as a tester that is out of my area, so can't say yea or nay about any of that, but will let you know that YES, it does cover the whole war from the get go

as of right now, we got a 41-45, 42-45, 43-45, 44-45 Campaign game, plus some shorter battles, and have some plans to add more

(in reply to usecase)
Post #: 11
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 12:31:03 PM   
elmo3

There has not been any price discussion in the tester forums.  However there is no reason to think we'd have any input on that anyway.  So we'll probably all know the price when the game is announced.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 12
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 2:44:30 PM   
ool

It is worth $80.00 considering the scale of the undertaking. How can anybody expect these companies to put in this kind of effort then put it out "On the cheap"? They have to make a reasonable profit to stay in this business. You can't afford it? Get a part time job for a few weekends. The years of pure enjoyment you will get form this game will more than compensate people for the extra cost.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 13
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 2:47:10 PM   
ComradeP

80 dollars for a title like this is a more than respectable price, that's the same as for WitP:AE and the scale and scope of the games are certainly comparable.

(in reply to ool)
Post #: 14
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 2:52:58 PM   
Hard Sarge

one issue with these kinds of posts, you may give them ideas, they didn't have to begin with

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 15
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 3:22:41 PM   
janh

This appears to become a monster, so it is surely worth more than $40-50 since it'll hopefully keep you occupied for 2-3 years with the good AI that it will hopefully show. You'll save a lot if it does -- and not buy anything else.
$80 is the range of WITP-AE, which appears still an order of magnitude more detailed with the production, R&D and all fronts of Pac-War included. So maybe $60 for this one sounds like it would be a reasonable compromise between all the competition. Maybe $80 if they bring back more feature and other fronts later?

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 16
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 4:42:48 PM   
PyleDriver

You guys don't know marketing, it's not 80 dollars, its 79.95...lol...Really it's up to the guys up stairs on the cost. It will be well spent dollars whatever the cost, trust me.

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 17
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 5:07:49 PM   
colberki

I am willing to pay 79.95 and an extra 50 for a nice printed manual with a large font size where grognards of the 1993 can actually read it! Meaning it needs to be bigger than the CD case mini sized one!

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 18
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 5:40:12 PM   
Neal_MLC

$80.00 is a fair price for this game, Just look at the detail included. I paid $80.00 for Witp six years ago and I am still playing it and I know that I will playing WitE for at least 6 years. These games are Quality, with a capital "Q".  I would pay $100 for this game.

If this game is successful we might be able to get Matrix to do something else with this engine. Maybe something like a "France 1940"...

no matter where you go, there you are

(in reply to colberki)
Post #: 19
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 6:08:56 PM   
USSLockwood

Monster games command monster prices. World in Flames costs several hundred dollars. I think Decision game's 'War in the Pacific' costs close to $500 with the expansion. Of course both those games are board games and have more physical components than WitE. I was willing to pay $80 for WitP-AE, I suppose I'll be willing to pay that much for WitE.

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 20
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 6:28:09 PM   
Flaviusx

I'd drop $80, no questions asked. This isn't a cheap McGame, folks. It's a classic. You'll probably be playing it for years, especially if you like to PBEM.

I spent far more than that on Fire in the East/Scorched Earth back in the day with no regrets. This is the computer replacement for that golden oldie from the boardgame days. I've been waiting years, decades even for something like this.

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 21
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 6:37:29 PM   
axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

one issue with these kinds of posts, you may give them ideas, they didn't have to begin with

LOL.....we could try the Jedi mind trick, it has worked on others before.....

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 22
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 7:14:46 PM   
Berkut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

I'd drop $80, no questions asked. This isn't a cheap McGame, folks. It's a classic. You'll probably be playing it for years, especially if you like to PBEM.

I spent far more than that on Fire in the East/Scorched Earth back in the day with no regrets. This is the computer replacement for that golden oldie from the boardgame days. I've been waiting years, decades even for something like this.

I would not mind paying $80 for a great game. The problem is that there are lots of games that I *hope* will be great, appear to be great, seem like they are a slam dunk, certain to be great, awesome buy...that I find I never play 6 months later, due to bugs, balance issues, or that are simply not nearly as fun as expected.

Frankly, *any* given game, statistically, is extremely unlikely to be one of the truly "greats" that will live on my drive for more than a few months. No matter how good they appear beforehand, odds are that it won't be a masterpiece.

So...what are people willing to pay for a game that *might* be great? Especially given that in this day and age, even if this game is going to be a masterpiece, that won't actually be realized for several months after it is released?

Hell, I cannot think of one single war or strategy game that was a masterpiece straight out of the box.

So, if they decide to charge a "premium" price on the basis that this is a game that is much better than XYZ games, they are going to have people who are going to wait and see if it really is that good. I would be one of them. If the game is $40-50, I will be likely to buy early, and take my chances. If you want me to shell out $80, that is fine, but I will wait and see what happens after a few months of patches, and whether the game is really as good as they say. For $80, I want a sure thing.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 23
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 9:18:40 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: axisandallies

quote:

ORIGINAL: Muzrub

I don't think they could ask more than 59.99 ddl for this game.

They can ask whatever they like of course, but I would certainly pay a lot more than $59.99 for this game and still consider it a bargain.

Post #: 24
RE: Price of this game. - 5/29/2010 9:35:44 PM   
Neal_MLC

Matrix will charge what Matrix will charge. It will be up to the individual to decide what they are willing to pay. Personally I think 80 bucks for this is a steal.

no matter where you go, there you are

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 25
RE: Price of this game. - 5/30/2010 1:24:01 AM   
bshirt7

While $80 is high, it's still a bargain relative to competitors like Paradox who charge $40 for games that are initially hopelessly broken (HOI-3) and need endless patches and time to make it work "somewhat". And then pay a year later another $20 to $25 for expansions that seriously try to fix the game.

If it's "really" beta tested and works as claimed when shipped they've got me sold.

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 26
RE: Price of this game. - 5/30/2010 1:27:17 AM   
bshirt7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Berkut

quote:

I would not mind paying $80 for a great game. The problem is that there are lots of games that I *hope* will be great, appear to be great, seem like they are a slam dunk, certain to be great, awesome buy...that I find I never play 6 months later, due to bugs, balance issues, or that are simply not nearly as fun as expected.

Frankly, *any* given game, statistically, is extremely unlikely to be one of the truly "greats" that will live on my drive for more than a few months. No matter how good they appear beforehand, odds are that it won't be a masterpiece.

So...what are people willing to pay for a game that *might* be great? Especially given that in this day and age, even if this game is going to be a masterpiece, that won't actually be realized for several months after it is released?

Hell, I cannot think of one single war or strategy game that was a masterpiece straight out of the box.

So, if they decide to charge a "premium" price on the basis that this is a game that is much better than XYZ games, they are going to have people who are going to wait and see if it really is that good. I would be one of them. If the game is $40-50, I will be likely to buy early, and take my chances. If you want me to shell out $80, that is fine, but I will wait and see what happens after a few months of patches, and whether the game is really as good as they say. For $80, I want a sure thing.

I can. CMBB is a superb game that required only a few tweaks after release. Sadly, they are few are far between though.

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 27
RE: Price of this game. - 5/30/2010 1:41:14 AM   
Berkut

quote:

ORIGINAL: bshirt7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Berkut

quote:

I can. CMBB is a superb game that required only a few tweaks after release. Sadly, they are few are far between though.

Fair enough - I can certainly agree with that - although one could argue that CMBB was not really a "new" game per se - lord knows CMBO needed a few tweaks after release (although I would claim that warts and all CMBO the day of release was clearly something very special).

(in reply to bshirt7)
Post #: 28
RE: Price of this game. - 5/30/2010 10:17:52 AM   
jmlima

quote:

... This is the computer replacement for that golden oldie from the boardgame days. ...

How many times have we heard that?...

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 29
RE: Price of this game. - 5/30/2010 10:36:37 AM   
Flaviusx

Yeah, but this time it is for real. The amount of order of battle detail in the game is quite staggering. It's the first time I've ever seen a computer wargame really approach Fire in the East/Scorched Earth in terms of that kind of detail. And even exceed it, in some ways, as the state of the art in military history has advanced a fair bit since those days, particularly on the Soviet end.

My only concern, and it's not ultimately a deal killer for me, is the AI. But since I'm looking to do this by PBEM, shrug. They could ship it without an AI and I'd still buy it.

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Price of this game. Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI