Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What was the first wargames you played?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What was the first wargames you played? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/2/2010 7:16:31 PM   
reg113

quote:

Me too
Broadsides
Dogfight
AH Battle of the Bulge

Wonder if we are related?

"Life's a b***h, then you die."

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 31
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/2/2010 8:04:27 PM   
Fallschirmjager

In 1998 in my Freshmen year of highschool I received my first computer which I could call my own. Before that I had to share with my older brother and parents. It was a P III 550 MHZ with 128 mb of Ram and a 12 GB HD
I remember being so proud of being able to maintenance it and keep it fast and later upgrading it (128 MB TNT II!)
Before that me and my brother got into PC gaming in 1994 with HOF games like Tie Fighter, Mechwarrior 2 and Quake II. But 1998 was when my console playing and PC gaming became equal.
Anyways...back to war-gaming
Gateway whom we bought the computer from sent with the PC a Microsoft gaming bundle. It had six games in there and I don't even remember what five of them were. But the sixth game was Close Combat II and I fell in love. I would play the campaign over and over again. I also worked in the school library all four years of highschool and we were blessed with a good alumni and friends of the school who donated a lot of good books. I read every military history book I could get my hands on.
Those early days were constant late nights of Starcraft matches, Rainbow Six back when Microsoft had their gaming servers and Close Combat
Then in 1999 or 2000 I can't remember which. I was reading PC Gamer (I had a subscription back when the magazine was worth a damn) and they had a article about Steel Panthers World at War.
I had never heard of Steel Panthers but the game and screenshots looked cool and I was liking WW2 from having played CC II. Plus the game was free. I think that is what most attracted me. A 15 year old does not have much of an income so free games are the best kinds of games.
We at the time had a 128 KB ISDN connection. SPWAW took 19 hours to download. I remember that vividly. I played the game hardcore for about two months but grew board of it. I could not get into it as much as CC II. Plus I had games like Rainbow Six Rouge Spear and the Playstation One was growing towards the end of it's life but was releasing some of it's best games.

Then again in the Spring of 2002 PC Gamer magazine again directed me here. They had an article about SPWAW again and William Trotter was writing about the Mega Campaigns. Now that seemed like a reason to pick up the game again!
Plus that was my senior year of highschool and I had a job and income. I purchased both Lost Victories and Watchtower and then went back and purchased Desert Fox. In March 2002 I registered here and frequented the SPWAW boards and Art of War forums.
8 years and 5600 posts later I am still here.
After the mega campaign purchases I did not purchase another Matrix game until Uncommon Valor and I only purchased that like a year or 18 months after release. I wish I had picked up on that game earlier and gotten into it when it was first released. That was a gem and almost the perfect wargame.

So there is a brief history of me. And heres to 8 more years and hopefully for the rest of you not 5600 more posts

(in reply to reg113)
Post #: 32
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/2/2010 8:13:04 PM   
Jim D Burns

My first two games were Avalon Hill’s Gettysburg and Luftwaffe board games. My father had purchased them and found them too complex, so he gave them to me and the addiction was born.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3646/luftwaffe

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3099/gettysburg

Jim

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 33
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/2/2010 8:13:24 PM   
Nikademus

heh.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 34
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/2/2010 8:52:25 PM   
joeblack1862

I am only listing the moment I played a proper game of each category (I messed about before but I don't count those):

First Wargame:
Airfix commandos vs germans using Lionel Tarr's rules from Donald Featherstone's book Wargames (1970)

First Board Game:
Avalon Hill's Gettysburg (1974)

First Computer Wargame:
War in Russia on the Atara 800. Played that a lot! (can't rember the date)

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 35
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/2/2010 10:32:11 PM   
MajFrankBurns

I was looking at my old pc wargames of the early 80's Knights of the Desert and Tigers in the Snow and those graphics are horrible compared to the commodore 64 ones of the same games. PC gaming for the PC didn't really come around until I guess in the early 90's. Even SSI's Gettysburg and Antietam and Shilo and Son's of Liberty and Battles of Napoleon are pretty crappy looking. The Commodore 64 what a great little entry level computer back then. What still amazes me is 2mb games two silly megabytes turned into some great gaming days.

I can't forget my first computer wargame came on the commodore 64 on cassette tape Knights of the Desert. I couldn't afford one of those
5-1/4" hard drives in the early days. They were as much as the computer $200.

(in reply to joeblack1862)
Post #: 36
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/2/2010 11:06:22 PM   
Deathtreader

Afrika Korps and Waterloo by Avalon Hill many decades ago when the world was a younger and better place.

My first computer wargame was Red Lightning on a Tandy 286 with EGA graphics.

Things have certainly changed since then haven't they??

Rob.

So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 37
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/2/2010 11:50:05 PM   
mllange

Can't remember what the first was, but a few of the more memorable that I still play today from time to time:
1. Tigers on the Prowl 2
2. Panthers in the Shadows

They still hold up fairly well, even today. Great stuff!

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

(in reply to Deathtreader)
Post #: 38
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 12:04:34 AM   
Joram

Tactics II as well

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 39
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 12:39:04 AM   
Chris Bisson

LOL!! I bet we ALL did that!

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Throwing rocks and dirt at plastic army men.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 40
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 12:43:00 AM   
Chris Bisson

Yes that's the one! I actually played it a few years ago with my girlfriends son. He really enjoyed it and wanted to have another go at it....over and over again. Seems like there may be another "wargamer" in the making there.
quote:

ORIGINAL: lordhoff

"My first "wargame" I think was Hit the beach, wich was also an American Heritage game from Milton Bradley just like Broadsides and Battle Cry. Later on when I got a serious wargame, wich I considder my 1st wargame was Avalon Hills Blitzkreig and Africa Korps. I got them both at the same time. ahhhhh the memories"

You know, I may have had hit the beach too. Did it have army and marine counters that moved from a dot to the next connected by lines on Pacific islands?

(in reply to lordhoff)
Post #: 41
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 12:47:46 AM   
Chris Bisson

LOL! Wodin you crack me up!

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

quote:

I started with marbles indoors...then progressed out side and discovered fire...many a plastic soldier came to it's guey end in my mates garden....

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 42
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 2:01:10 AM   
jomni

Chess?

(in reply to Chris Bisson)
Post #: 43
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 2:02:03 AM   
Chijohnaok2

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jevhaddah

Chess

I'll get my coat

Cheers

Jev

I thought about checkers and chess but...

I Was going to say that my first "war=like" game was Stratego...which is sort of the checkers of wargames.

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 44
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 2:03:42 AM   
Chijohnaok2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

heh.

That was my first computer war game as well. Played it on my Atari 800.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 45
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 2:05:50 AM   
Chijohnaok2

Stratego.

First real (basic) boardgame was Axis & Allies.

First computer war game was Eastern Front @ my Atari 800 computer.

(in reply to Chijohnaok2)
Post #: 46
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 2:14:10 AM   
SuluSea

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28321/fran-tarkentons-pro-football

This is the first sim I played which led me into wargaming. I can't count the hours of fun spent playing this.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Chijohnaok2)
Post #: 47
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 4:56:29 AM   
lordhoff

quote:

Ahh man! That's the hard way. Shooting rubber bands at them is what I used.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 48
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 5:51:13 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

Hard to remember everything, maybe something like Risk, I also did have Dog Fight, but first real wargame is in my signature (The original square version)

Perhaps a bit off topic, but my interest may have started in the toy world. When I was a kid toy guns and other accessories were common and were among the biggest toys for boys in particular. Also big were "miniatures" toy play sets of rubber, plastic or metal soldiers. My favorite big set was "The Blue and the Gray" but I also had revolutionary war, WWII, Cowboys and Indians and even ordered those cheap plastic sets from the back of comic books. I suppose today, much of it would be considered politically incorrect, but that is how we were raised. WWII was over and the "Happy Days" 50's were in full swing.

I had that Blue and the Grey set. It was AWESOME! I had the Alamo too. It was a huge fort made of metal, believe it or not. And I had Cowboys and Indians.

My favorite was a WWII set based on the Guns of Navaron. It was a huge mountain with a German Fortress built into it, with an elevator. And the Americans had a landing craft, half track, a tank and a jeep. Boy, I had some really vicious battles with that. I'd get crucified in today's society for playing with those. I'm glad I'm old!

Back to the subject, my first wargame was Star Fleet Battles in the early 80's. Starships, Saturday nights, pizza and soda. Life did not get any better.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 49
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 5:59:03 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

quote:

I used firecrackers. We also made rubberband pistols and had 25 rubberbands a piece and the one who knocked down the most army men won the battle.

Later on it was bb guns.

Oh man, I threw rocks and dirt at plastic army men! I spent one summer building an entire fleet of WWII model navy ships and placed them all in a near by pond(I grew up in the wilds of Louisiana) and sunk them with my pellet rifle. It was glorious.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 50
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 10:48:06 AM   
oldspec4

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: MajFrankBurns

quote:

I used firecrackers. We also made rubberband pistols and had 25 rubberbands a piece and the one who knocked down the most army men won the battle.

Later on it was bb guns.

Oh man, I threw rocks and dirt at plastic army men! I spent one summer building an entire fleet of WWII model navy ships and placed them all in a near by pond(I grew up in the wilds of Louisiana) and sunk them with my pellet rifle. It was glorious.

Yep...did all the above.

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 51
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 1:27:45 PM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

Ah the only type of war game. I had over 500 plastic soldiers from Indians to WW2 desert rats and every thing in between. In fact I still have some of them in a box somewhere. The oldest originating out of cereal boxes from the fifties.
Ron

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 52
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 1:50:43 PM   
junk2drive

There was a bare spot in the back yard where the Henry J was parked for a while. Grass never grew there so that was my sandbox. The soil was clay like and broke into clumps. When you threw it right, it hit the ground and poofed into a cloud of debris like the arty explosions in the movies. That is why we preferred it to rocks, marbles, rubber bands etc.

The lawn mower occasionally tossed out a dismembered casualty. Good for effect.

I was too old when GI Joe arrived.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 53
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 2:14:52 PM   
ezzler

Cousin gave me a box of assorted airfix soldiers. About a 1,000 of them. AK/Paras/Japanese/Confederates/Indians. The big thick plastic ones. And the old wild west fort.
Hooked on minis for about 10 years and have just started up again after a 20 year break.

First go with a boardgame was with Dover patrol, same as stratego.
Bought AH third Reich when I was 8 and too young to understand it. Tactics II which was ..so-so. Then Luftwaffe, which almost finished wargaming for me. It was so difficult and the counters kept falling over as they stacked up like smartie tubes.
But then, Richtoven's war. Shot down 50 planes one summer with my red DR1. That and Blitzkrieg sealed the deal.

On computer..zx spectrum Arnhem was terrific. Defender of the crown great game for the atari ST but for PC wargaming, the games that caused me to never ever leave my keyboard, up to this day ..

Harpoon and Civilisation.

{i really should try one of matrix's harpoons}

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 54
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 3:34:33 PM   
wodin

Like I said in another thread..we still want to play with our plastic soldiers and army at break time in school....I was always the Germans;)

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 55
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 3:44:11 PM   
Jevhaddah

quote:

First go with a boardgame was with Dover patrol,

I was given Dover Patrol last year as a gift. it's in the loft must go look it out

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 56
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 3:46:04 PM   
Jevhaddah

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Chess?

Yup, Chess is a wargame

Cheers

Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 57
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 4:55:18 PM   
MikeBrough

OK. ignoring chess (which I AM getting back into), the first wargame I played was SPI's War of the Ring in 1977. First one I bought was AH's Arab-Israeli Wars in 1979.

My first computer wargame was SSI's Battle for Normandy on the Commodore 64 (1983?). My first PC wargame was Harpoon in 1989.

Somehow, even though the games were simpler and less detailed than today's games, they were more fun, more immersive. Was I just younger and less jaded?

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 58
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 9:18:14 PM   
Arctic Blast

War in the South Pacific and (a bit later) Carriers at War when I was a kid, playing on an Apple IIc.

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to MikeBrough)
Post #: 59
RE: What was the first wargames you played? - 6/3/2010 9:55:57 PM   
Toby42

Avalon Hill's Afrika Korps 100 years ago! I still have that old boardgame....

Tony

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What was the first wargames you played? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI