Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/14/2010 8:43:44 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: smokytoks

So I guess the problem is that the number of worlds displayed on the planner seems to be limited : once you reached the maximum number, the game seems to filter worlds displayed in the planner : Continental > Swamp > Ocean > Desert > Volcanic

Agreed, this is what I am observing too.

When the colonizable continental and marshy swamp planets run out the less desireable worlds will start making their (re-)appearance. At least this is what my current game is showing. It won't show on games with a low number of stars, since there the total number of colonizable planets is quite low.

Note that is isn't a strict hierarchy. The game will put planets with the ultra-rare luxury resources much higher in priority (but still below all and any marshy swamp planets, with the exception of those Loros Fruit which grow in swamp). Also, ancient ruins granting empire-wide bonuses will lift a planet in colonization priority considerably (but not as much as they deserve, I think).

(in reply to smokytoks)
Post #: 31
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/14/2010 8:16:43 PM   
Mysterius

quote:

the number of worlds displayed on the planner seems to be limited : once you reached the maximum number, the game seems to filter worlds displayed in the planner : Continental > Swamp > Ocean > Desert > Volcanic

I think i would have prefered a bug than such a nonsense.

< Message edited by Mysterius -- 6/17/2010 10:17:02 AM >

"Bigamy is when you have two wives, monotony is when you only have one." - Pierre Desproges

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 32
RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? - 6/15/2010 12:57:32 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mysterius

quote:

the number of worlds displayed on the planner seems to be limited : once you reached the maximum number, the game seems to filter worlds displayed in the planner : Continental > Swamp > Ocean > Desert > Volcanic

Oh god! How terrible is this system...
I think i would have prefered a bug than such a nonsense.

what he described IS a bug.
The way programming work you must perform any task via very simple instructions, one by one...
thus the task of creating a list is probably done as:
1. Create List (empty), Create Variable X, set X=0
2. Loop:
a. Get conditions of planet X and dump them into a temporary variable
b. Is conditions for planet X "owned by player"
c. Is conditions for planet X "owned by AI"
d. Is conditions in system owned by AI?
e. if b, c and d are no, then put in in the list.
f. increase X by 1
Repeat loop.

This is a SUPER simplified example and I skip a lot of steps... Now, planets obviously much each have a unique identifier (planet 1, planet 2, etc). When the galaxy is created each planet is given such an identifier number. The system of galaxy generation and numbering is thus probably:
1. Get number of desired stars set by player in game creation, call it X
2. Create X*VariableA continental planets
3. Create X*VariableB Swamp planets
4. Create X*VariableC Ocean planets
5. Create X*VariableD Desert planets
6. Create X*VariableE Volcanic planets
each one is a complex process in of itself, and each one involves assigning a number value to the planet as it is created.
Notice the order was: Continental > Swamp > Ocean > Desert > Volcanic

If your galaxy has 400 continental planets and 200 swamp planets, then planets 0-399 would be continental and planets 400 through 599 would be swamp, and so on.

Thus when the list of planets is populated it is filled with planets in this order... if at any time the list size fills up then all the extras are simply lost (or worse, cause a buffer overflow and overwrite random data!)

The solution to the bug is to increase the list size a lot, or better yet, make it future proof by creating an algorithm that first checks to see how many planets exist in the game, then makes sure the list has that many spots.
Also, it should be made to run again whenever the game editor is closed, because you could have added planets.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 6/15/2010 1:00:04 AM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Mysterius)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Volcanic worlds not showing on colonization planner? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI