Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/7/2010 3:52:41 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

I was looking at getting Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided and saw that NWS has the original Gary Grigsby's World at War for sale at $14.99. What happened that made Matrix discontinue W@W and only sell the new one? I seem to recall that Gary was not happy with the finished product but I could be mistaken.

Thanks in advance.

BTW, is A world Divided a decent game in your opinion. I have his Civil War one but could never get into it. FoF was just too hard an act to follow imo.

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 6/7/2010 3:53:09 AM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Post #: 1
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/7/2010 6:28:00 AM   
ilovestrategy

You might not get a polite answer with this one. A while ago I said I loved Grigsby's World at War and I felt like I committed some kind of cardinal sin from the answers I got. Being called an "Axis and Allies Kiddy" was one of the more polite responses.   God forbid I say in the Matrix forums that I like a Matrix game.

Then there was the time I said I liked the movie 300 and had my intelligence insulted. And the times I liked a war movie that wasn't realistic enough.

I respect you WiTP players but sometimes you guys go too far.....

Back to the subject(Sorry for the rant), I have not tried World Divided. I want it but Digital River will not accept my serial number or order number for Distant Worlds so I can download it to my laptop so I can play on the go. Trying to get that worked out first. When I do, I'll try World Divided. I really love World at War and want to try out this one.

< Message edited by ilovestrategy -- 6/7/2010 6:29:41 AM >

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 2
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/7/2010 7:58:02 AM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

I was looking at getting Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided and saw that NWS has the original Gary Grigsby's World at War for sale at $14.99. What happened that made Matrix discontinue W@W and only sell the new one?

I think simple redundancy; World Divided was an improved version so why sell the old one as well? They did the same with Crown of Glory.

Post #: 3
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/7/2010 8:48:52 AM   
NefariousKoel

I have the physical copy of the original GWAW. I bought it later, after it was released, and before long the new one was out. I had not kept up with any news of it, though I wouldn't have turned around to pay even more for an updated game. It still had some issues that needed to be fixed, in my opinion, but that can only be answered as part of MO Reb's question.

It just wasn't worth buying the new one, not when I'd bought the original within a year of 2nd release.

I haven't bothered loading it up again, or checking out the civil war one, because they both run at a fixed screen resolution and I've not had such a small monitor in years. Squinting and leaning forward to read blows.

Post #: 4
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/7/2010 10:46:08 AM   
MajFrankBurns

The 2nd one did more in the diplomacy/spyiing department than the first and of course touted improved ai. It also has more historical events. The first one was basically a dry run and didn't have much more than a risk game. The 2nd one made it more like Paradox's HOI series only turn based and a lot faster to play out the war. If you're interested in a good turn based grand operational game of WW2 though I would suggest Making History:The Calm and the Storm or the upcoming Making History 2:War of the World as Making History is my favorite grand operational game of WW2 now well over any HOI's including HOI III which is a messterpiece.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 5
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/7/2010 12:58:03 PM   
Erik Rutins

The original WAW was simply replaced by A World Divided, which has everything the original had and more. I enjoy AWD quite a bit (and also enjoyed WAW) but I can't think of any reason to play the original instead of AWD.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to MajFrankBurns)
Post #: 6
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/7/2010 1:23:21 PM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

You might not get a polite answer with this one. A while ago I said I loved Grigsby's World at War and I felt like I committed some kind of cardinal sin from the answers I got. Being called an "Axis and Allies Kiddy" was one of the more polite responses.   God forbid I say in the Matrix forums that I like a Matrix game.

Then there was the time I said I liked the movie 300 and had my intelligence insulted. And the times I liked a war movie that wasn't realistic enough.

I respect you WiTP players but sometimes you guys go too far.....

Back to the subject(Sorry for the rant), I have not tried World Divided. I want it but Digital River will not accept my serial number or order number for Distant Worlds so I can download it to my laptop so I can play on the go. Trying to get that worked out first. When I do, I'll try World Divided. I really love World at War and want to try out this one.

That's kind of funny because I never could get into it because it was so much like Axis and Allies. :)

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 7
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/7/2010 2:20:11 PM   
wodin

I like 300...I also love Spartacus Blood and Sand....

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 8
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/7/2010 2:24:13 PM   
Obsolete

I have to admit, ever since I first saw it years ago, me and my buddies just think "Hmm, another Axis & Allies clone..."

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 9
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/7/2010 2:34:30 PM   
JudgeDredd

I never did get into it tbh. Alot of it was the 3 months cycles.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 10
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/9/2010 10:46:51 AM   
maha222

The new game simulates the Second World War on a global scale. Players can take on the leadership of Germany (with Italy), Japan, Russia, the Western Allies (the combined forces of America and Great Britain) or China. The game begins in the spring of 1940 and ends in the fall of 1946 with each turn representing three months of fighting and production. Players will be in charge of moving their forces around the map, managing logistics, creating new units and researching crucial combat technologies.

Post #: 11
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/9/2010 10:57:23 AM   
jomni

I can't seem to grasp the production system.
To many to produce, too little resources, to long to complete.
I can't even master production of Commander: EAW as well.
These type of production system just drives me nuts.
And I guess the AI cheats when it comes to production.

< Message edited by jomni -- 6/9/2010 10:58:14 AM >

(in reply to maha222)
Post #: 12
RE: Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? - 6/10/2010 2:47:18 AM   
bairdlander2

I bought WaW for $40.3 months later it was selling at the same store for $3.50.Terrible interface,90's graphics overall I didnt like it at all.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Why Was Gary Grigsby's World at War Discontinued? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI