Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Final Thoughts - Utah to Rhine and more

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Final Thoughts - Utah to Rhine and more Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Final Thoughts - Utah to Rhine and more - 11/29/2000 5:44:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I'm sure by now some of you have made it to the heart of Germany and finished the Utah-Rhine Campaign. Any final thoughts, suggestions, comments. I read these thinking about future campaigns so feedback is always well received. I may not always agree, but I will respect your opinion How about a Japanese campaign after we finish the Victors? Thoughts? Preferences? Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant
Post #: 1
- 11/29/2000 6:35:00 AM   
Colonel Klink

WB, here are some ideas for campaigns: 1. Rommel in Afrika, starting march of 1941..Alexandria as the prize? 2. German attack into yugoslavia ending in greece and the battle for Athens. 3. Hypothetical German attack through Spain with the prize Gibraltor in the balance 4. Operation Market Garden.. a bridge too far? 5. Hypothetical Operation SeaLion.. ending in the battle of London. 6. Rommel in the Desert, PartII - Hypothetical German attack into eygpt ending in the rich oil fields of the middle east 7. German invasion of Poland ending in the capture of Warsaw 8. Battle of the Bulge? not sure if this has been done yet. Antwerp as the prize?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 2
- 11/29/2000 7:03:00 AM   
Dave_R

How about a canmaigne covering our Canadian or Ausralian/New Zeland friends. Or a campaigne based on the minor nations, Hungery, Romania, Yugoslavia. The there's the earlier and lesser known conflicts, the Sino Japanese war, Spanish civil war. One in particular that I would like to see and have done a lot of research on, which I'd be able to pass over to anybody who might be interested, is the Chindit war and the British campaignes in Burma. Thay would be excellent for Infantry heavy actions, and would present a challenge as you'd be fighting the Japanese without the USM supermen, and no guys that isn't ment as a dig at the corps

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 3
- 11/29/2000 7:19:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Good ideas, guys. I did do one on Merrill's Marauders in SP3 and enjoyed it very much. I'll jot these down for future possibles. And any info at all on Burma would be much appreciated. Can it be sent via e-mail. If so, pass it on, Dave, unless you are going to do it. Did either of you finish the Utah-Rhine campaign? Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 4
- 11/29/2000 7:43:00 AM   
Drake

Will I would not mind seeing a good canadian compaign done, Hint Hint Their is already two very good maps that could be used to start a campaign like this Dieppe and Juno that I already did and I plans to do more like this.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 5
- 11/29/2000 8:10:00 AM   
Colonel Klink

not yet WB, but it sounds like a good one

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 6
- 11/29/2000 8:41:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Good hunting, Colonel Klink. Drake, I've been wanting to do a Canuck campaign for years...maybe now is the time.. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 7
- 11/29/2000 8:42:00 AM   
GrinningDwarf

quote:

Originally posted by Colonel Klink: 4. Operation Market Garden.. a bridge too far?
Market Garden could be done a few interesting ways: 1. Elements of XXX Corps. Can we get to Arnhem bridge without stopping for tea? 2. Elements of British 1st Para fighting through to reinforce Frost at Arnhem bridge. 3. Elements of American 82nd Airborne seizing bridges and then defending against German counterattacks coming from the east out of Germany. (Defending against these counterattacks was were Gen. Gavin was while Maj. Robin Cook assaulted the far end of Nijmegan Bridge. The movie didn't have time to mention these counterattacks at all, but according to his book, On to Berlin, Gavin was more concerned about them than whether Cook's assault would be successful.)

Sergeant to new replacements on the line: I may not have time to tell you to duck, but if you see me dive for the ground you might want to think about why I'm doing it.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 8
- 11/29/2000 8:46:00 AM   
Drake

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Good hunting, Colonel Klink. Drake, I've been wanting to do a Canuck campaign for years...maybe now is the time.. Wild Bill
Gess im going to have to do more of them maps you like so much to get your insentive up to do one

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 9
- 11/29/2000 10:45:00 AM   
kao16

A campaign for the Kiwis (NZ) - how about following the NZ division from Greece/ Crete/ North Africa through Italy finishing at Trieste. Would be interesting given the Kiwi's tendency to borrow anything they needed (a regt of tanks here, mech infantry there) and not give it back (I've been told by History student friend that the NZ div numbered over 20,000 men by the time they entered Trieste

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 10
- 11/29/2000 10:53:00 AM   
kao16

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: I'm sure by now some of you have made it to the heart of Germany and finished the Utah-Rhine Campaign. Any final thoughts, suggestions, comments. I read these thinking about future campaigns so feedback is always well received. Wild Bill
A comment about U2R - I've fought about 6 battles so far, 1 vicrory and 1 marginal for 10 points. I seem to have constantly avoided or gone around the German prepared defences, attacked from there flanks etc, mainly by accident (or superlative interpretation of the terrain and tactical situation resulting in superior troop deployment and tactical use ) The question is: should they have been harder or have I just been extremely lucky so far?

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 11
- 11/29/2000 11:00:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Pure gaming skill and war expertise. You're just modest WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 12
- 11/29/2000 12:21:00 PM   
Major_Johnson

I like the idea of a Japanese campaign!! But I also wouldn't mind seeing one based on Patton's 3rd Army!! Guess I'm about ½ way thru Utah-Rhine. A couple of decisives, mainly marginal. But having a great time the whole way!! Thanks for the fun Wild Bill!! ------------------ MJ We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

M.J.!
We serve others best when at the same time we serve ourselves.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 13
- 11/29/2000 3:50:00 PM   
Fredde

German paratroopers..! The invasion of Crete would be an excellent fairly well-documented campaign subject (and allow for a really tough campaign with the heavy german losses). I wouldn't have anything against a longer campaign either, starting with the Holland forts, continuing over Crete, the hypotethical invasion of Malta and continuing with Sicily and up the "bloody boot".

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 14
- 11/29/2000 4:10:00 PM   
Spellbinder

Hi WB, how about a campaign for "Sinelnikovo Station" or the 2nd battle for Karkov. When in Feb 43 the Russian 6th Army attacked along the Dnieper and was outmanouvered and finally destroyed by Mannstein. What's most interesting about it is: "The Soviet Sixth Army, which strangely enough bore the same number as the German Army sacrificed on the Volgy by Hitler's abstinacy, suffered the same fate through Stalin's overwhelming pride. Leaving a total of 360 tanks, 325 anti-tank guns, 60 heavy guns, and more than 3000 dead or wounded on the battlefield between Pavlograd and Sinelnikovo." I allready did some research on it and it's veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery interesting!!! Ciao Spellbinder ------------------ "Semper Paratus" http://www.fischers-design.de

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 15
- 11/29/2000 9:49:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Bryan Melvin did a campaign on Crete in the old version of SPWAW that was very good. I hope he will update it for 4.4 Kharkov is being covered in scenarios by Brent Richards, though I think a campaign, perhaps all four battles over 2 years would make a good one too. Thanks, guys. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 16
- 11/29/2000 10:24:00 PM   
David F. Wall

I have a hypothetical Operation Sea Lion in progress. Right now it's projected to run between 13 and 20 battles (depending on how well you do at certain points). It includes, but may not culminate in, a battle in London.

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 17
- 11/29/2000 10:51:00 PM   
Securitas

My own preferences for future campaigns are as follows, in order of desire: 1)Kampfgruppe Peiper in Stoumont/La Gleize in Dec 44 (German Perspective) 2)Canadians in Ortona, Italy (Canadian Perspective) 3)Kharkov Feb-Mar 1943 (German Perspective) 4)Liquidation of Courland Pocket (Russian Perspective) 5)Operation Crusader (German Perspective) 6)Operation Goodwood (UK Perspective) 7)Operation Spring Awakening (Lake Balaton region/Budapest 1945) (German Perspective) ------------------ Securitas _________________________ 88mm is a really nice number

Securitas _________________________ 88 is a really nice number

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 18
- 11/29/2000 11:25:00 PM   
Per-Anders Westin

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Bryan Melvin did a campaign on Crete in the old version of SPWAW that was very good. I hope he will update it for 4.4
Hi WB! Do you have more details about the campaign? I have been gathering some facts about the invasion, and have plans to design a campaign where you command the germans. But if Bryan will update his campaign, I feel there is no meaning I design a similar campaign. Per-Anders Westin

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 19
- 11/30/2000 3:09:00 AM   
krull

I would love to see Mor epacfic campaigns from different sides Japanese US Austrilian etc. I ave tried my self but i lack skill enough. I have played for awhile but mostly hotseat amd mow leearning PBEM and this combat thingie but manuals kinda vague. But if any would please do make some pacfic campaigns.

Krull

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 20
- 11/30/2000 4:01:00 AM   
Wild Bill

A Pacific campaign is next on the list, Krull. Pers, I would encourage you to go ahead with it. I don't know when or even if Bryan is going to revise his campaign. I think, if you have the urge, you should proceed. Sea Lion is looking good guys. I've seen David's first map and it is impressive. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 21
- 11/30/2000 4:02:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Securitas, those are all great ideas. I've extracted them and saved them in a text file for future reference. Nice! WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 22
- 11/30/2000 5:31:00 AM   
Dave_R

And any info at all on Burma would be much appreciated. Can it be sent via e-mail. If so, pass it on, Dave, unless you are going to do it. I'll get the info to you as soon as I can get it off the old puter Bill, which unfortunatly has now died! I did start onm this canpaign myself. Called it 'On the road to Mandalay' but time constraints have slowed it down to a crawl, as well as it being on the old dead puter too. Once I can find away of getting onto the new one, I'll send it all to if you want it. Did either of you finish the Utah-Rhine campaign? Still looking forward to starting it Bill. At this moment I'm still struggling with The Heros's of the Motherland! Wild Bill [/B][/QUOTE]

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 23
- 11/30/2000 6:59:00 AM   
Dave_R

Bill. How's this for something completely different! The allies are beaten. London and Moscow ring to the sound of jackboots stomping in their streets. America has withrawn it's mauled forces into the defence of the Union. General Rommal is tasked with bringing what is left of the British Empire in India under German control. All goes well to start with, then one day German forces meet with their allies the Japanese. Friendship leads to political disagreement over who should 'own' india, tension rises, old friendships soon forgotten. Soon india finds itself as the prize and battlefield for the two new superpowers!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 24
- 12/1/2000 7:07:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

just a few ideas: Germany: Kursk Germany: Barbarosa URSS: From 1944 Soviet summer offensive to Berlin UK: Operation Good Wood

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 25
- 12/1/2000 7:09:00 AM   
Gallo Rojo

quote:

Originally posted by Dave_R: Bill. How's this for something completely different! The allies are beaten. London and Moscow ring to the sound of jackboots stomping in their streets. America has withrawn it's mauled forces into the defence of the Union. General Rommal is tasked with bringing what is left of the British Empire in India under German control. All goes well to start with, then one day German forces meet with their allies the Japanese. Friendship leads to political disagreement over who should 'own' india, tension rises, old friendships soon forgotten. Soon india finds itself as the prize and battlefield for the two new superpowers!
I would to see like one of those! I know that this would sound very unpopular here but... what about a US vs USRR campaign but from Soviet side this time? Germany vs Japan? Best regards

The bayonet is a weapon with a worker on each end

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 26
- 12/1/2000 10:24:00 AM   
BruceAZ

WB: I liked the campaign, especially your maps and historical markings. It was tough and some scens I had to play more than once. Good job with the intro and sounds. I have been working on a SPWAW Guadalcanal Campaign (Jap vs USMC)for 6 months and should be done soon. After my friends and I finish play editing, I will share it with all on the net. I am not sure many will like a jungle campaign because it lacks your fast-moving tank warfare that many love. This is a real "leg" campaign and fast-moving INFANTRY rules supreme! Most times where I have purchased tank/truck units they get bogged down in the jungle or mud. This is a true infantry campaign where battlelines are critical and your best weapon is a Forward Observer with a battery of 105's in support. Most scens are limited to 12-16 turns with med-to large maps. All are historically based with above average (I think so) maps. To give my friends (we are all ex-military types but new recruits to Matrix) a different perspec, we rarely open with known objectives and in one scen you actually have to hunt them. Maintaining a mobile, quick moving reief force is critical as many times the unexpected happens which is what makes war-gaming interesting. You did a great job on your campaign! I can't wait to see your next effort. ------------------ "0311, Top, just 0311..."

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 27
- 12/1/2000 11:55:00 AM   
DownUnder

I've always wanted to see a hypothetical on how Japan would have gone about the invasion of Australia. It would certainly use a lot of terrain types! If you came in from the far north west you would very quickly have deserts (both mountain and flat), then flat plains. Come from the North East and you have near enough to Jungle mountains. Do the more main stream hypothetical mid-east coast invasion and you have a lot of coastal semi-rugged hills terrain that very quickly (30 to 70km) turns into moutnains. Anyway you come at it you are in for a fight, either against tenacious Australians or the elements! ------------------ regards from down under!

regards from down under!

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 28
- 12/2/2000 1:37:00 PM   
degen

quote:

Originally posted by Securitas: [7)Operation Spring Awakening (Lake Balaton region/Budapest 1945) (German Perspective) [/B]
I've also been thinking about the battle for Budapest as a potential campaign. One version could start with the early attempts to block the Russians on the outskirts of the city, followed by holding actions and counterattacks by the Axis forces. There was quite a variety of units in Budapest on the Axis side and the campaign could be designed to reflect this variety in the support units. ------------------ "I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 29
- 12/2/2000 11:41:00 PM   
Pillbox

BruceAZ, that sounds fantastic! Keep us..er .. "posted"

(in reply to Wild Bill)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Final Thoughts - Utah to Rhine and more Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI