Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 11:58:15 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: aprezto

Of course I can hardly get my hopes up, but since we are there, and I am as patriotic as the next bloke, I have to add a plug for the Kiwis against Slovakia tonight. In our previous effort (at the world cup) the 'being there' was the victory. This team is a little better than that - or maybe a bit more professional. However, I can't help feeling that the best we can hope for is to score a goal and not get "Australia'd"

Warspite1

Well we need one real shock result from the first round of matches - lets hope the All Whites provide it. Unfortunately Slovakia are one half of a useful footballing nation; four major finals as Czechoslovakia - two World Cup finals and two European Championship finals (Champions in 1976).

This side beat Russia in the play-offs and are a useful team, but fingers crossed - 1-0 to the All Whites, Plymouth's Rory Fallon scores with 10 minutes to go and New Zealand hold on for a famous victory.........

Warspite1

Okay - not quite as planned but a great result for the All Whites nonetheless. Now a point against Italy and a win against Paraguay and the last 16 here we come.....simples

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 151
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/16/2010 2:30:47 AM   
aprezto

Warspite1 - you're a 'glass is half full' kinda guy something tells me, but hey, I certainly buy the sentiment.

However, I cannot tell you how excited that last goal got most of New Zealand - not because it can't be imagined but because in my case it involved me leaping out of bed and dancing around the bedroom... oh wait - mental picture created...

To say NZ deserved what they got is probably a little far fetched, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why Slovakia didn't push for the second rather than sit back and hold us at bay for a 1-nil score. But then again football isn't my most thoroughly understood game. To me they were clearly the more capable and dangerous team, and when the put the pressure on we were really struggling to hold them at bay, but, as so many that follow the game like to say: strange things happen in football.

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 152
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/16/2010 5:51:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

....... strange things happen in football.

Warspite1

Yep, like what just happened to Spain

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 153
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/16/2010 5:57:22 PM   
Fletcher

Spain played a very good first time, ... bad luck !.. Will be a must to win the two next plays
best wishes!

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 154
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/16/2010 6:14:59 PM   
cantona2

Hard luck Ramon. But 80% possession and no goals = no points

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 155
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/16/2010 7:41:15 PM   
Bearcat2

Got a question for the experts;

I am not familiar with South Africa; and the few times I turned on the World Cup by mistake; I could have sworn I heard cicada's; slightly offkey cicada's; but that constant drumming irritating sound was evident in the telecast for the few minutes I watched and couldn't find the channel changer quick enough. I didn't know they had them in South Africa and was wondering if they were the 13 year or 17 year cicada's or if they even have that type in Africa. I thought I heard them called veyzuela's or something; is that the native word for cicada?

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 156
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/16/2010 8:21:47 PM   
morganbj

You're kidding, right?

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 157
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/16/2010 9:42:15 PM   
Bearcat2

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 158
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/17/2010 7:17:37 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fletcher

Spain played a very good first time, ... bad luck !.. Will be a must to win the two next plays
best wishes!

Bad luck Ramon.
Awesome, 70% posession, 10 shots on goal and nothing.
30% posession, 2 shots, 1 on goal. Victory.

Was very impressed with the performance of Swizerland though. Great team. And Ottmar Hitzfeld is one hell of a tactician...
I will cross fingers for them as long as they stay in tournament.

I have no doubt that Spain will win the other two games though.

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 159
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/17/2010 7:27:37 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

Hard luck Ramon. But 80% possession and no goals = no points

yeah, sounds like Barca vs Inter...

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 160
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/17/2010 5:06:35 PM   
traskott

Spain will win the World Cup. Period.

Or not....

With 40.000.000 of coachers this can be a real mess.. xDDD

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 161
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/17/2010 6:13:17 PM   
Fletcher

quote:

ORIGINAL: traskott

Spain will win the World Cup. Period.

Or not....

With 40.000.000 of coachers this can be a real mess.. xDDD

Are you sure ?
I am agree with Jonathan (Cantona2) and LoBaron, 70% possesion and no goals = football match lost!. This is not the way to be the winner...
Will be best to departure with Kido Butai heading Java to smash all damns and sent them to hell

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 162
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/17/2010 6:15:48 PM   
traskott

Your lack of faith annoy me...

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 163
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/17/2010 7:55:08 PM   
Bullwinkle58

I'm American. I like baseball, and our football. The last time I had anything to do with soccer was in physical education class in the early 1970s. I don't know the rules, let alone deep strategy or tactical options. I don't know the teams. I don't know how the WC is structured except there are a bunch of groups, and it's a Good Thing to "get out of yours." I just figured out, from observation, that once a player is substituted for he can't come back in (like baseball, but not basketball, football, or ice hockey.)

And yet, I can't stop watching the games. The Tivo has been busy. I've been watching an average of 1.5 a day all week. Despite the stupid horns, the audio commentary has been cool. It's nice to hear commentators with non-American accents (usually have to watch golf for that.) I'm a little sad my country will never take up soccer as a Thing and get into the WC as the rest of the world does.

The Moose

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 164
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/17/2010 8:01:24 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm like Bullwinkle except I haven't watched one second of the World Cup...but I don't have television.  Even if I did, though, I wouldn't watch it.  There are only two sports I'll watch on television if I happen to be somewhere there's a TV available:  any baseball game involving the Atlanta Braves and any college football game involving the Georgia Bulldogs.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 165
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/17/2010 8:19:57 PM   
bradfordkay

I haven't seen the Braves play since TBS decided to air games with other MLB teams playing (blasphemy!), but I almost never miss a nationally televised Georgia Bulldog football game. Go Dawgs!

BTW: Tom Label, no need to gloat!!!!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 166
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/17/2010 9:05:18 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

I watch all games on neighboring TV Slovenia (SLO2) - it is because my country's national TV (HTV2) still emits in 4:3 (and thus we get "LetterBox" 16:9 image in 4:3 with black bars up and won)...

Today I accidentally switched channel to our national channel during game and I suddenly noticed that annoying vuvuzelas are gone on SLO2!

They must have done it in past days and I simply overlooked it - it is so easy to adjust to better stuff!

They are filtering out the sound vuvuzelas make (it is said that the only frequency needed to be filtered out are 480 Hz and it's harmonic at 920 Hz) and you can normally hear the crowd cheering and referee whistling - finally normal football!!!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 167
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 7:18:57 AM   
Flying Tiger

quote:

Warspite1 - you're a 'glass is half full' kinda guy something tells me, but hey, I certainly buy the sentiment.

However, I cannot tell you how excited that last goal got most of New Zealand - not because it can't be imagined but because in my case it involved me leaping out of bed and dancing around the bedroom... oh wait - mental picture created...

To say NZ deserved what they got is probably a little far fetched, but for the life of me, I cannot understand why Slovakia didn't push for the second rather than sit back and hold us at bay for a 1-nil score. But then again football isn't my most thoroughly understood game. To me they were clearly the more capable and dangerous team, and when the put the pressure on we were really struggling to hold them at bay, but, as so many that follow the game like to say: strange things happen in football.

I'm still trying to figure out how NZ conjured up enough players to make a team - let alone qualify for the World Cup!! You guys are top 2 or 3 in the world in rugby, close to top 5 in cricket, so surely most able bodied people from the teeny population base are already involved in one of those sports. That means only the half wits, geeks, freaks, and WitP addicts are left to play soccer.

Go KIWIS !!!

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 168
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 10:11:57 AM   
Jaroen

Time for a Bavaria!

Go orange, go . . .

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 169
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 4:08:19 PM   
moose1999

Damn, that was a nice goal by Donovan.
You've got a good player in him.
He's so good he should be playing in Europe. ;-)

regards,

Briny

(in reply to Jaroen)
Post #: 170
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 4:55:26 PM   
bradfordkay

The Bradley kid's goal was nice as well, but we got jobbed on that disallowed goal... 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 171
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 4:59:50 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

The Bradley kid's goal was nice as well, but we got jobbed on that disallowed goal... 

Watching this game I couldn't help thinking about Roy Jones Jr. in the Olympics.

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 172
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 5:11:51 PM   
sven6345789

RATS, Germany just lost against Serbia! ouch!!

Bougainville, November 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. It rained today.

Letter from a U.S. Marine,November 1943

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 173
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 5:17:26 PM   
Mynok

Dern....I was going to watch that game tonight.

Oh well...it's not nearly as fun when you know the outcome....

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to sven6345789)
Post #: 174
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 5:20:24 PM   
jonreb31

USA had an AMAZING game against Slovenia.. historical comeback. We should have won 3-2 but the referee cannot be referred to without explicit language.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 175
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 5:36:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: briny_norman

Damn, that was a nice goal by Donovan.
You've got a good player in him.
He's so good he should be playing in Europe. ;-)

Warspite1

I dont want to take anything away from Donovan - great finish from such an acute angle - but.......

What was the goalkeeper doing exactly??? Has anyone EVER seen a goalkeeper (in a first class game of football) ACTUALLY DUCK OUT OF THE WAY BEFORE ??????? That was ridiculous

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 176
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 5:57:10 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flying Tiger

quote:

I'm still trying to figure out how NZ conjured up enough players to make a team - let alone qualify for the World Cup!! You guys are top 2 or 3 in the world in rugby, close to top 5 in cricket, so surely most able bodied people from the teeny population base are already involved in one of those sports. That means only the half wits, geeks, freaks, and WitP addicts are left to play soccer.

Go KIWIS !!!

Isn't this presupposing that WiTP addicts are from a different population base than half wits, geeks and freaks? Speaking for myself, I subscribe to more than one of these subgroup classifications.

(in reply to Flying Tiger)
Post #: 177
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 6:29:41 PM   
Canoerebel

When does the England v. Algeria game begin (eastern time)?  Miller, my opponent, will be watching it so I know I won't receive a turn in my inbox while that game is going on.  And if England somehow loses it might be 12 to 24 hours before I'll get a turn. 

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 178
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 7:31:16 PM   
vinnie71

It just started

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 179
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 7:43:45 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Yes, it started 14 minutes ago. But my 6 year-old niece is at home so I can't watch the match (she is watching the @#@~#~cartoons)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI