Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 8:10:19 PM   
Canoerebel

Tullius, I don't know you at all, but any man who would cede the television to his six-year-old niece during the World Cup has to be a fine and generous person.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 181
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 8:15:40 PM   
Dixie

Well that's been a pretty dire 45 minutes.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 182
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 8:16:08 PM   
TulliusDetritus

well, but there is a WC only every 4 years

The last WC (she was 2 year-old) she was forced to swallow some matches though

It's not personal, it's just business...

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 183
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 8:18:19 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

Well that's been a pretty dire 45 minutes.

Warspite1

What the hell was that all about???? Better we come home before we disgrace ourselves further.........

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 184
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:06:57 PM   
sprior

Horrible, just horrible.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 185
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:22:23 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Horrible, just horrible.

Just two players can say they did ok IMO. David James and Gareth Barry, and they're both defensive players

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 186
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:23:53 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Inexplicably bad passing and midfield play.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 187
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:26:18 PM   
LoBaron

OMFG!

I had flashbacks of the game Austria played against the Faroe Islands a couple of months ago.
What happened to England? Somebody please explain.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 188
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:26:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I managed to watch the second half. Yes, rather horrible

Post #: 189
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:27:04 PM   
warspite1

Rooney, Gerard, Lampard, Lennon, Johnson, Terry, Heskey - not one decent performance between them.

All we have to do now is beat Slovenia......

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 190
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:29:43 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Hope you have a better first half against them than we did . . . er, scratch that.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 191
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:33:31 PM   
Chickenboy

I think that's the first time I've ever heard English boo their national team, not that I'm keeping track or anything.

Post #: 192
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:36:51 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Rooney, Gerard, Lampard, Lennon, Johnson, Terry, Heskey - not one decent performance between them.

Firstly, a win won't even necessarily be good enough. You also need the result in the other match to go your way.

Secondly, on what logical basis do you think a win against Slovenia is even theoretically possible.

Thirdly, what is the point in delaying the inevitable. On what has been shown to date, england will not even get a chance to shoot five penalties in a second round match.

Alfred

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 193
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:42:05 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

Firstly, a win won't even necessarily be good enough. You also need the result in the other match to go your way.

Secondly, on what logical basis do you think a win against Slovenia is even theoretically possible.

Thirdly, what is the point in delaying the inevitable. On what has been shown to date, england will not even get a chance to shoot five penalties in a second round match.

Alfred
Warspite1

Oh dear...

1. A Win guarantees we go through - look at the table and do the maths
2. I don't - it was irony after a dire performance beyond belief
3. No argument there - see post 184

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 194
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:44:02 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

The quality of players, perhaps? World-class players in the English side. None in Slovenia, as far as I know. I want England to pass. I want the "big boys" to be on the next round (Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Spain, Holland, England). That will make the World Cup interesting (to me).

I don't want a semi-final Ghana vs Slovenia, for example...

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 195
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:46:15 PM   
Dixie

quote:

Alfred

Slovenia are top of the group with 4 points. England and USA are both on 2 points. With 3 points for a win against the top team England would pass them (2+3=5).

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 196
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:46:50 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

The quality of players, perhaps? World-class players in the English side. None in Slovenia, as far as I know. I want England to pass. I want the "big boys" to be on the next round (Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, Spain, Holland, England). That will make the World Cup interesting (to me).

But the final we all want: North Korea v South Korea

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 197
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 9:53:54 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

quote:

But the final we all want: North Korea v South Korea

HAHAHAHAHA! Touché!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 198
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 11:07:04 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Slovenia are top of the group with 4 points. England and USA are both on 2 points. With 3 points for a win against the top team England would pass them (2+3=5).

Not bloody likely to happen with the poor performance England have shown for the past 10 or so years...

I was just looking at probably the best game ever played by the Danish national side. June 5th, 1985 against the Soviets and Denmark beat them 4 - 2. Good Thread, we had a good team those 25 years ago, and EVERYBODY knew the names of every player.

Nowadays... Nobody knows who the hell they are...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 199
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 11:15:10 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

quote:

Alfred

Not bloody likely to happen with the poor performance England have shown for the past 10 or so years...

I was just looking at probably the best game ever played by the Danish national side. June 5th, 1985 against the Soviets and Denmark beat them 4 - 2. Good Thread, we had a good team those 25 years ago, and EVERYBODY knew the names of every player.

Nowadays... Nobody knows who the hell they are...

Oh, I think the Danish player that scored the 'own goal' will be remembered by a great many.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 200
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 11:24:48 PM   
Terminus

Actually, he won't, since it turned out to be a highly-paid international player and not the lowly newbie which was initially thought, and nobody's talking about it anymore...

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 201
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/18/2010 11:59:27 PM   
JohnDillworth

So far Argentina looks like the team to beat.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 202
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/19/2010 12:03:22 AM   
Terminus

Yeah, the rest of the top tier have been unimpressive...

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 203
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/19/2010 1:05:53 AM   
JohnDillworth

Well Germany was impressive the first time out, but it seems that was more a poor Aussie team. The Dutch were quietly solid, I look forward to seeing them play again. Brazil is Brazil and Italy (the diving divas) should perk up. Right now there are a lot of openings that will be decided with the 3rd game. Maybe a surprise winner this year

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 204
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/19/2010 2:08:15 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: briny_norman

Damn, that was a nice goal by Donovan.
You've got a good player in him.
He's so good he should be playing in Europe. ;-)

Warspite1

I dont want to take anything away from Donovan - great finish from such an acute angle - but.......

What was the goalkeeper doing exactly??? Has anyone EVER seen a goalkeeper (in a first class game of football) ACTUALLY DUCK OUT OF THE WAY BEFORE ??????? That was ridiculous

It looks like Donovan's shot was aimed straight at his face. Any decent goalie would have thrown his hands up to block it, this guy ducked...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 205
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/19/2010 7:08:20 AM   
Sardaukar

England was like France in disguise...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 206
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/19/2010 10:57:30 AM   
castor troy

With the very well doing English clubs more or less ruling European football over the last ten years, it´s just the old story IMO. People think their national team would be doing good because their clubs do too. But when you then get to hear that Arsenal at times is playing without any English on the lawn then the national team´s performance isn´t that surprising anymore. Not saying Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and Co would be bad players, but the national team is overrated IMO compared to Premier League clubs like, Manchester, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool. And then don´t forget that the English seem to have a problem with tournaments, just like the Dutch which is depressing for me as my mother is Dutch and football isn´t existing in Austria.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 6/19/2010 10:58:19 AM >

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 207
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/19/2010 11:31:29 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

With the very well doing English clubs more or less ruling European football over the last ten years, it´s just the old story IMO. People think their national team would be doing good because their clubs do too. But when you then get to hear that Arsenal at times is playing without any English on the lawn then the national team´s performance isn´t that surprising anymore. Not saying Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney and Co would be bad players, but the national team is overrated IMO compared to Premier League clubs like, Manchester, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool. And then don´t forget that the English seem to have a problem with tournaments, just like the Dutch which is depressing for me as my mother is Dutch and football isn´t existing in Austria.

Warspite1

What you say has some merit - although on the other hand, you could argue that if English players are good enough for the top four English teams, then they must be pretty decent players. Lampard, Cole A, Cole J and Terry would not have lasted under Mourinho, Hiddinck etc if they were no good. But what that means is that while we can be certain we have some decent players, what we do not have is strength in depth. People may well criticise the picking of Ledley King, but how many English defenders with pace are there as alternatives? This is where not limiting foreigners in domestic leagues becomes a problem. Name an English right back if Johnson gets injured?.....exactly, thats why Carragher is in South Africa!

But the argument is not as simple as that. In the late 70's/early 80's English football ruled Europe: Liverpool, Nott'm Forest, Aston Villa made the European Cup pretty much an English affair - and the players were mostly English. What was the English national team doing at that time?

World Cup 78 - DNQ
Euro 80 - Out in group stages
World Cup 82 - admittedly unlucky to go out without losing any of our five games - but could not score in the 2nd round against Spain and Germany
Euro 84 - DNQ

One decent tournament out of four......

Its a complicated business, and I do not pretend to understand why English players get to big tournaments and simply forget what they do for their clubs. Why did Lennon decide not to run at the Algerian defence like he did against Croatia when we took them apart at Wmbley? Why do we think its a good idea to do a few passes in our own half - maybe sneak into the opposing half and then hoof the ball upfield instead of passing our way to the opponents penalty box? Why is our movement in the final third so non-existent? Why did Glen Johnson suddenly look so slow? The list of questions goes on and on....its so depressing!!

Anyway thats enough about England . Good luck to Holland (I'm still upset about 1974 and 1978!) and the Kiwis this weekend

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 208
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/19/2010 12:01:16 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

This is where not limiting foreigners in domestic leagues becomes a problem. Name an English right back if Johnson gets injured?

Many people say that. And I don't think it's true. As I see it, good players will always prevail. So either you produce them (Brazil, the factory) or not. And if no national squad (a club) wants them (which is rather weird), another league will want them (not everyone is stupid). Quality is quality. So I don't buy this argument. Think about Spain now. Many foreign players in the league BUT they still produced excellent players.

As for depth of the national squads, I think only Brazil (historically) can say they have two excellent A and B teams. And I don't think this is true anymore. Suffice to say that their main striker (Fabiano) is rather normal, not a genius like Messi, Rooney or Villa

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/19/2010 12:11:08 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 209
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/19/2010 12:33:23 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

This is where not limiting foreigners in domestic leagues becomes a problem. Name an English right back if Johnson gets injured?

Many people say that. And I don't think it's true. As I see it, good players will always prevail. So either you produce them (Brazil, the factory) or not. And if no national squad (a club) wants them (which is rather weird), another league will want them (not everyone is stupid). Quality is quality. So I don't buy this argument. Think about Spain now. Many foreign players in the league BUT they still produced excellent players.

As for depth of the national squads, I think only Brazil (historically) can say they have two excellent A and B teams. And I don't think this is true anymore. Suffice to say that their main striker (Fabiano) is rather normal, not a genius like Messi, Rooney or Villa

Warspite1

I think you are wrong. If not then why have UEFA changed the rule for homegrown players if what you say is not an issue? Its like most things in life - its degrees, and the fact that you can have too much of a good thing.

Is the English league, any league, enhanced by the introduction of quality overseas players? Yes, of course.
But, when you have a situation like at Arsenal, where the number of Englishmen in their squad (never mind the first team) can easily be counted on the fingers of one hand, then you have a real problem looming..... or in England's case it is no longer looming...its here.

We now have a situation where at right back we have the choice of Johnson, and then Carragher who is really a central defender or the 53-year old Gary Neville. Scotland's position is even worse, with only two big clubs and very few Scottish players employed - so instead of being able to pick players used to big games and Champions League football with Celtic and Rangers, they are trawling the Coca-Cola, the lesser Scottish clubs and even below, for players.

This problem is exacerbated because instant success is required and therefore chairmen will rather buy players than produce homegrown talent - potential players of the future are not given the chance as a result.

To be clear, UEFA's proposal does not get around the fact that some countries simply do not find enough talented and technically gifted players - and its not meant to. But it does mean that the important area of development of homegrown youngsters cannot be ignored.

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/19/2010 1:26:55 PM >

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI