Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Observations and Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Tech Support >> Observations and Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Observations and Questions - 6/13/2010 5:20:07 PM   
mfp4073

I played the old jagged alliance games so am very familiar with some of the "history" of the games.

I patched game fully after an initial several level playthough and started over.

Pretty good game. I didnt pay full price. I think I would be a little upset if I had.

Pathfinding is pretty stupid most of the time. Those times when I am clicking and clicking and clicking and they refuse to move is maddening so say the least. And there are places that you CANNOT get to, get out of. As in you can place mercs in buildings/huts etc during opening setup and there is no way out.

Why are there not more crates/boxes of stuff around? I think I only saw 2-3 places where there were searchable crates/bookcases etc and only 2 of them with anything in them.

I think the game is fairly easy, the secret is to use cover, pop up, fire, drop back. But jagged alliance was the same way. Also, make sure your entry team is placed somewhere with a higher elevation where they can pop up/fire/drop down. Dont spread your team out so they can put intense fire on target.

Not sure why, but I had several mercs that never wanted anything to do with me no matter who else I had or if I fired everyone. Seemed like some of them liked it more once I had hired 6 mercs. Almost like they dont like to be alone.

Lots of guns and versions of guns, ammo etc.

In my game I never came across ANY binocs, nightvision, or other "head" gear. I played through twice, once on easy and once on med. Seems like there are a lot of "items" that should be there that I never saw in my games (camo makeup, canteens, etc). If rifles have 4/6 upgrade boxes...you should be able to get stuff to put in them. (snipe scope, tac scope, laser sight, rod were all I found)

I did find plenty of the spring mod rods for lowering the AP of full auto firing. Those were always taken off rifles from groups of soldiers that attempt to take back territory.

Both games never gave me a dialog option with the dictator to do anything other than attack him.

I have not seen anything mentioned about the UN base, not able to talk to anyone there or find anything there. I searched and didnt find anything in the forums.

It seems like a lot of people in the forums took a long time in game to beat the dicator. I did it in 6 days game time the last playthrough with like 150k left over. Not sure why others are having to take so long.
Secrets I found that worked. Get the airbase as soon as possible. It allows you to fly to trouble spots fast enough to get there before the bad guys.

I NEVER used auto fire...but then i perfer to snipe from distance/cover.

It seems like sometimes the mercs cannot hit ANYTHING, especially with the sniper rifles. I was actually using them more for the binoc capabilities than anything else.

Once or twice blewup/shot guy who rolled down into water. Didnt die, would not come back up, and you cannot shoot/bomb your way to them. Had to restart. Sucks.

So I guess this is a bit of a question, observation, frustration thread. Comments would be welcomed!
Post #: 1
RE: Observations and Questions - 6/19/2010 11:24:03 PM   
Harry Renquist

One thing I recommend is updating game to 1.08. I couldn't tell the version until I loaded a previous save game.
since I got my game from Gamersgate,which is 1.07. I also installed the mod that is currently the top mod in the mod section. The fine tuned mod.

I recommend changing your system.cfg file; Here are my changes. First make a backup then change.
r_hcamera_acceleration = "200.030"
r_hcamera_auto_camera = "1"
r_hcamera_border = "10.0000"
r_hcamera_border_enabled = "1"
r_hcamera_deceleration = "200.000"
r_hcamera_fov = "0.220000"
r_hcamera_inertion = "0"
r_hcamera_max_angle = "25.962800"
r_hcamera_max_height = "25.0000"
r_hcamera_min_angle = "-25.000000"
r_hcamera_min_height = "-25.00000"
r_hcamera_mouse_invert = "0"
r_hcamera_mouse_speed = "100.000"
r_hcamera_rot_speed = "2.00000"
r_hcamera_speed = "93.7700"
r_hcamera_zoom_acceleration = "900.000"
r_hcamera_zoom_deceleration = "900.000"
r_hcamera_zoom_speed = "1.00000"

The game originally had smart pause mode; notice the large size of the sectors. but it was removed from the game. There is alot of bad design, really frustrating tactical design issues in the game. You should never have to reload a save game in my opinion for a game. In the game 7.62 High Calibre I almost never have to reload a save game. The accuracy ratings don't seem to make sense, a 90 accuracy means your soldier will miss 90% of the time and have to reload a save game. Anyways I'm almost finished the game except the last sector.

One thing I've noticed or two things; it has memory leaks. So I recommend restarting Hired Guns after about 5 or 6 reloads of save games; then exit game completely, then restart Hired Guns and load previous save; otherwise the game takes longer and longer to load save games.

The second thing I've noticed is sniper rifle are close to useless. The ranges on them don't seem to be correct.
Its far better to use a gun that only requires 4 Action Points to fire a snap shot then to use a gun that requires 5,6,7, or more. Here is an example;

SOLDIER A: (He is using a sniper rifle- range 220 AP-10)
Set to 'V' highest accuracy setting.

fire - miss! , reload save game
fire - hit -2 hit points , reload save game

SOLDIER B:(Tar 21 assault rifle- range 130; AP 4)
Set to low accuracy setting;

fire - miss!
'V' set accuracy now to high
fire - miss!
'V' set accuracy now to high
fire - hit -14 hit points
fire - hit -12 hit points
GOTO next soldier.

This doesn't always work out every time, but...I've tried it many times and there is definitely a difference, you'll see there will less load-saves required. How much less? I didn't keep count of the statistics but it's better atleast, not perfect but better.

< Message edited by Harry Renquist -- 6/20/2010 2:30:12 AM >

(in reply to mfp4073)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Hired Guns: The Jagged Edge >> Tech Support >> Observations and Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI