Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

events in game messages

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Scenarios and Mods >> events in game messages Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
events in game messages - 6/15/2010 8:49:07 PM   
neiljoven

Hallo to the community and the developers.
My question is about the event in-game messages:
is there any way to edit/modify or add descriptions for modded events?

example: I wish to add one unit by event, and to receive in-game the message to acknowledge the event with a short story of the unit. Where I can do that (if it is possible)?

To explain myself better I am working on a historical rendition of the game, where Axis player shouldn't buy unit but receive them at the aprox correct time for the next step.

example: event: weseruebung nord preparation time feb 1940
"You are in charge to plan the invasion. You received from OKH the following divisions: 69; 163; 181; 196 and are released for you the 2. and 3.Gebirgsjaeger. Your appointed commander is Falkenhorst" OKM will provide the necessary naval assets etc etc.

Another question: if I make my "few" modifications in a separate file in event folder is it enough I add the "call" line at the bottom of the event_files.txt in the modded scenario? Can I use freely event numbers above the 16253 (first free event n in event_list.csv) without conflicting with anything existing?

Thank you very much

Best regards
Post #: 1
RE: events in game messages - 6/15/2010 10:20:43 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

Hallo to the community and the developers.

Hi neiljoven, welcome at the forum.
Sorry for the late reply, but we just released our next game Storm over the Pacific and some duties keep us a little bit away.

Here you can find answers for your questions, if something is not clear just keep asking.

quote:

My question is about the event in-game messages:
is there any way to edit/modify or add descriptions for modded events?

example: I wish to add one unit by event, and to receive in-game the message to acknowledge the event with a short story of the unit. Where I can do that (if it is possible)?

If you would like to change the description of event, you must simply replace the string directly in .xml file.
For example, instead of ZID_1001_title, write the title of the event, instead of ZID_1001_desc, write a description of the event and so on.

quote:

Another question: if I make my "few" modifications in a separate file in event folder is it enough I add the "call" line at the bottom of the event_files.txt in the modded scenario?

Yes, this should work.

quote:

Can I use freely event numbers above the 16253 (first free event n in event_list.csv) without conflicting with anything existing?

Please do not use event number below 20000 (and you are limited to 29999).

Please remember to share with the community any modification you will make.

(in reply to neiljoven)
Post #: 2
RE: events in game messages - 6/15/2010 10:57:04 PM   
neiljoven

Thank you for the extremely fast response Doomtrader. If what I have in mind works I will be glad to share. 

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 3
RE: events in game messages - 6/15/2010 11:25:48 PM   
doomtrader

No problem, if we are here, we are trying to help you with all the issues you are dealing with.

(in reply to neiljoven)
Post #: 4
RE: events in game messages - 6/16/2010 8:56:48 PM   
neiljoven

Ok. Here I am again. I tested the first modified flag (20000)

I want to modify the SMP. So the command should be [below I only copied the relevant part]:

<!--SMP decreased-->
<effect method="Country.ChangeSMP" param0="2" param1="-16"/>
<!--Set flag-->
<effect method="Flag.SetValue" param0="20000" param1="1"/>

The event fires, but when I acknowledged it doesn't decrease the Germans SMP to 0. To test the event I changed the method to "Country.ChangeProductionPoints" to -200 and the event fires and deduct correctly the PP from the pool. So I assume that the event is ok, but for some reason I cannot get the SMP command to work.

[...] Ok, I think I know what it might be. The change is done at the end of the turn, it reduces the available SMP, but then they regenerate automatically to be available on the next turn... mmm if it is like this there is no way to make the change permanent, until another event modifies the SMP pool?

By the way: it is very interesting to play with this event files.

< Message edited by neiljoven -- 6/16/2010 11:43:12 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 5
RE: events in game messages - 6/17/2010 12:30:13 AM   
Bleck

Actually, thanks to you we discovered a bug in this effect method. Try to decrease param0 (country ID) from "2" to "1". This should do the trick for now and the STP of country with ID=1+param0 (instead of just =param0, as it should be) will be decreased immediately. This will be fixed in game events engine with next patch 1.8.

Wastelands Interactive member (Programmer)

(in reply to neiljoven)
Post #: 6
RE: events in game messages - 6/17/2010 2:27:32 PM   
neiljoven

I will test it. Thanks for the tip. I will report here the results 

And here the results: New string modified according to your suggestion:
<!--SMP decreased-->
<effect method="Country.ChangeSMP" param0="1+param0" param1="-16"/>

The event fires to Germany; the SMP are correctly deducted from the pool, so it goes to SMP [0 (max16] and player can see them. The next turn automatically regenerate to full SMP[16(max16].
I think the command would be useful only if it changes the max pool instead, i.e in my example the result should be SMP [0 (max0)] or the event will last only for the time in between the two turns. If the patch you mention will change this, it is just a matter of wait
For the time being... thanks.

< Message edited by neiljoven -- 6/17/2010 2:50:41 PM >

(in reply to Bleck)
Post #: 7
RE: events in game messages - 6/17/2010 3:26:03 PM   
Bleck

quote:

ORIGINAL: neiljoven
And here the results: New string modified according to your suggestion:
<!--SMP decreased-->
<effect method="Country.ChangeSMP" param0="1+param0" param1="-16"/>

Just to be clear, it should be:
<effect method="Country.ChangeSMP" param0="1" param1="-16"/>
if you want do decrease current STP of country with ID=2

<effect method="Country.ChangeSMP" param0="9" param1="-16"/>
if you want do decrease current STP of country with ID=10

and so on.

Also, as far as I know, there is no MAX for STP. I could analyze the code but it will be better if doomtrader or Anraz would describe how STP works.

Wastelands Interactive member (Programmer)

(in reply to neiljoven)
Post #: 8
RE: events in game messages - 6/17/2010 10:19:17 PM   
neiljoven

Thank you. I think I didn't explain myself well when talking about max value. I know we can buy as many SMP as long as we spend PP on them. Once they are acquired they stay forever.

I attach a pic of the SMP after the subjected event fires.
I set the "Country.ChangeSMP" to -12.
As you see the ID trick worked and I correctly have for the Germans: 4 SMP left [let's call it the spendable pool] of a max pool of 16 [let's call it available pool]

The problem I see is:
SMP will stay to 4 only during the following naval battle, therefore as soon as the new turn comes SMP will go back to 16 of a max pool of 16.
This event doesn't change anything in terms of game play.

To be really useful I should have the next spendable pool of 4 of a max pool of 4 [because this should be reduced by ChangeSMP].

My idea is that the player who got reduced by event his max pool he has to spend money to rebuild it.

The goal here is [but not limited to!]:"rebuild your railway network because you have been bombed, and this will cost you money!"

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by neiljoven -- 6/17/2010 10:26:36 PM >

(in reply to Bleck)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Scenarios and Mods >> events in game messages Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI