Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is it just me ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Is it just me ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is it just me ? - 6/17/2010 5:08:31 AM   
MT Melon

Hi all - not much of a poster but I have to ask if anyone else looks at buying wargames like I do?
I have been reading all the Price threads on some of the games just out/coming out and I fail to see how people can
base a decision on buying a game on how many hours of enjoyment they will get out of it or want to encourage the
Devs to continue to make new games etc... Now , before anyone misunderstands , I am NOT saying that I do not want
to support Matrix or any Dev. The way I look at buying a war game is the way I would look at purchasing a flat screen television
for example. When I slap down my 2 grand for a tv its not with the knowledge of how many hours of great viewing pleasure I have just bought
nor is it to encourage Sony to continue making great products. I buy it because 1) I am in the market for a tv 2) The price is what I am
willing to pay and 3) Is this a quality product. When a new war game arrives I will first have to want a new game and one of course thats in my budget.
Knowing that most of Matrix's games are quality products is for me a given.

Common sense seems to tell me that I could purchase every game Matrix has to offer without affecting in any real way their decision to go belly up.
So , with all that being said , am I alone in purchasing a wargame as I would every other item in my life? I pick up my wargames from Matrix because
when I am jonesing for a game they provide the quality product I am in the market for at the price I am willing to pay - nothing more.

Thanks for reading all this - just had to get in my two cents on this pricing subject.
Post #: 1
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/17/2010 8:15:58 AM   
wodin

Panasonic makes the best Flatscreen TV's at the moment

Well for me the most important thing is does the conflict\theatre interest me. This noramlly is apriority for me however there have been exceptions like CMSF...I have no interest in the fictional battle...HOWEVER the game has an immersion factor of the scale. Haven't played a wargame where I care about my pixeltruppen like I do with CMSF since Close Combat 2 came out.

Next it's what scale is the game and how detailed are the mechanics (Im not talking about micromanagement but whats going on under the hood, WitE and Panther Games are great examples the combat is super detailed and takes every weapon\man into account....this appeals to me far more than an a step system).

Then it's who the developer is...if its someone who has a good track record and I've enjoyed their games before I'm more likely to buy near the relase date.

(in reply to MT Melon)
Post #: 2
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/17/2010 11:05:56 AM   
MajFrankBurns

I buy based on want or need first and then on value vs price always. I'm always looking for a deal. I clip coupons even for grocerys or clothing. I love to save a dime. So, it's not just because I want it or need it when I purchase something. Even so I'm going to shop price and even "barter" anyone remember bartering? But, I guess that's from going to 1000's of flea markets and garage sales in my life as you can really use your bartering skills a lot at those kinds of places.

Games are just not that important in my life thus I can be more selective of the game and of course the price I am going to pay for one. Since they give us forums I'm going to voice my opinion if I think the price is too high. I will also give kudos when I think the price is just right or a bargain.

Matrixgames has a good selection of wargames true, but, it's sort of like going to the book store you aren't going to read every book and you're pretty much going to be selective of which ones you are going to read based on want/need and well if you're like me value vs price. Of course if one has money to burn or just doesn't care about their financial future then yeah it's pretty easy to toss it to the wind even if the game sucks. Might as well use it as toilet paper also. I'm sure most publishers/developers would love a horde of those kinds of consumers.

As far as your analogy of tv's there's so many of them to select from. There's a big difference there vs one single wargame one might want. In other words you can't buy a copy of Sony's WitP or Samsung's or Visio etc etc. There's only one WitP and this is the only place that has it (other than the partnered distributers). TV's have a broad range of PUBLISHERS, wargames usually don't.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 3
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/17/2010 12:21:45 PM   
Andrew Williams

Any independent store will barter

i always lead with "Is that the best you can do"  even ebay has a Best offer option now.

There is only one WitP so no bargaining power compared to the many publishers (stores) offering many different televisions (even though they are all televisions)

(in reply to MajFrankBurns)
Post #: 4
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/17/2010 6:06:11 PM   
MT Melon

When I wrote my OP I had just finished reading all the price threads that have sprung up in recent weeks. I could not understand how many people were trying to justify buying a game based on many hours they would enjoy it compared to the amount of dollars they spent on it. I fully believe they have a right to their opinion and have every right to post on the board but could not see the link they were trying to point out.

Wodin - everything you have said is exactly the things that matter the most to me also (I would have to include the price of the game compared to the heft of my wallet) , but I suppose that I was not clear in what I was trying to get across. Hours of enjoyment per dollars spent does not even cross my mind. I simply purchase the game like I buy most things..... TVs , Shoes , Cars etc.. I know that many decisions have to be made on differnet items but I can safely say hours of enjoyment compared to money spent is never one of them. You are also right about Panasonic - they do make the best (serves me right for jumping on the first thing that popped into my head. Quick way to get into trouble , especially with the spouse .

Major - Okay , taking your analogy of comparing a book store with Matrix...... do you finally choose to purchase a book based on how many hours of enjoyable reading you are going to experience compared to how much you have spent on it ? Or think to yourself ..... well I am not to sure I want to buy this book yet but I should purchase it at least to keep the bookstore in business ? IMO niether of these two issues should matter in the least.

Anyhow , not to assume any importance to this subject , but I cannot see the relevance of the many threads that defend the price of a game or the purchase of with the ideas I mentioned above.

Have a good day all

(in reply to MT Melon)
Post #: 5
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/17/2010 6:38:39 PM   
Knavery

I buy $2500 guitars and the price doesn't even enter my mind. I know they're a lot of money, but I don't really care. I have a lot of other hobbies like computer gaming etc., but when all is said and done, I'd be dead if it weren't for music. It's actually kept me out of deep depression a few times in my life.

The bottom line is that people will spend any amount of money on what they think will make them happy. There are some frugal people out there sure, but they aren't much fun. :)

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM

(in reply to MT Melon)
Post #: 6
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/17/2010 7:55:08 PM   
Toby42

When you try to compare cost with time spent, you are just trying to justify the purchase to yourself!

Tony

(in reply to Knavery)
Post #: 7
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/17/2010 8:44:17 PM   
Andrew Williams

when I buy a car I look at how many years it will last vs how much it costs..

Last month I bought a more expensive car because i think it will last longer than another contender.

same with TV....

Same with shoes.....

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 8
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/17/2010 9:52:33 PM   
Alan Sharif

For me its the period of the subject matter and the scale that are most important. Then who the developer is. Only after this is price important but then only in so much as how long will it be before I can purchase this title? Price has, thus far, never been a barrior to eventual purchase.   

A Sharif

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 9
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/17/2010 11:47:42 PM   
wodin

Price isn't important unless it becomes to expensive that I can't afford it and I really want the game.

The thing is peoples perception of cost is different. £50 to one person is like £5 to someone else if they have lots of money...they would see £50 in the same way I see £5...just a little note in the pocket...spare change...the more you have the less value you see in it. So it does come into it. I do want value for money...if I pay a fair bit of money the thing has to be worth it...£19.99 for a game is no great loss if you only get a few hours out of it and you either ditch it or these days especially with console games you finsh it in 7 hours. When you start paying over £50 I have to be certain and I mean certain that I'm going to get my money's worth out of it...it's just to much to be an impulse buy and to much to take a risk. Also if it was over £50 and it was only going to entertain me for a few hours then those few hours of entertianment would have to be up there as the best gaming experience I've had (thats unlikely though) so in the ned it will have to keep me entertained for a fair amount of time.

Now if I had alot of money then I would probably not even consider the cost of a game...come day go day...I'm not a saver nor am I tight...money is there to be spent thats my motto.

Saying all this my first post still stands as the main things I take into consideration when looking for or buying a new game.

< Message edited by wodin -- 6/17/2010 11:50:19 PM >

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 10
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/18/2010 2:27:45 AM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
Now if I had alot of money then I would probably not even consider the cost of a game...come day go day...I'm not a saver nor am I tight...money is there to be spent thats my motto.

Learning wise money management techniques (including how-to-save) are valuable skills that can only improve a persons life. Being able to afford the games you want is much better than all the complaining you did (in the beginning) when BftB came out.

Your motto is fine, but wasting less money on £19.99 games that provide an hour of two of entertainment will allow you the freedom to get the ones you really want (a couple of expected (by me) expensive ones from Matrix are coming down the pike (MWIF & WITE)). I know I want both and have been saving for this. The only other option would be to WHINE about the price when they come out and hope Matrix decides to GIVE me copies so I'll shut up....

Flipper

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 11
RE: Is it just me ? - 6/18/2010 4:40:47 AM   
Knavery

quote:

ORIGINAL: flipperwasirish

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Learning wise money management techniques (including how-to-save) are valuable skills that can only improve a persons life. Being able to afford the games you want is much better than all the complaining you did (in the beginning) when BftB came out.

Your motto is fine, but wasting less money on £19.99 games that provide an hour of two of entertainment will allow you the freedom to get the ones you really want (a couple of expected (by me) expensive ones from Matrix are coming down the pike (MWIF & WITE)). I know I want both and have been saving for this. The only other option would be to WHINE about the price when they come out and hope Matrix decides to GIVE me copies so I'll shut up....

*Sigh* Here we go again...

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64)
3.4 gigahertz AMD Phenom 965 Quad Core
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1024Meg
4GB RAM

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Is it just me ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages