Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: One Weird Battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: One Weird Battle Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 7:56:18 AM   
AcePylut

Question for you 'rebel (me of the home within site of many Lincoln-Douglas debates:) ) -

What do you do with your AP's and AK's that covert to APA's, LSI's, etc.. in '43? I'm putting mine in the East Coast and letting them sit there, but I might wanna use them for a mini-invasion before hand.

In your (and anyone else's) experience, is it worth the risk or are they better served working the war as APA's etc.?

(in reply to RUDOLF)
Post #: 601
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 2:38:29 PM   
JohnDillworth

Are you running all the Capetown fuel to Perth? It distributes nicely to the rest of Australia. That did not used to work but a recent patch made this work and it really helps.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 602
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 4:54:00 PM   
Canoerebel

Replies to various suggestions and requests:

Screen Shots: I'll post some screen shots next time I'm at my office (either today or tomorrow).

AcePylut: Great idea! I've been very cautious with my merchant fleet during this game - especially in comparison to my game with Miller - but I haven't actually systemitized protection of my potential APA/LSI. I'll start next turn.

JohnDillworth: Per my grand strategic plan implemented at the start of the war, the Allies have not been shuttling fuel to any exposed bases to this point - too dangerous. I felt like I would be better off safeguarding my TKs and then running massive convoys when important bases like Tahiti were safe (and large enough to minimize storage spoilage). To this point, the only fuel convoys running have been Seattle to Dutch Harbor/Kodiak; San Francisco to Pearl Harbor; and Abadan/Aden/North America to Capetown. I'm justabout to set up fuel convoys to Oz, but I'm going to utilize Tasmania as my fuel dump. Perth is too dangerous, and with Adelaide I don't have any control over where the fuel ends up. Dump it at Hobart and it's going to remain on that little island. From there I can easily transport to places of need.

PnzrB: In Cap-n-Gown's AAR, PnzrB noted that as the Allies he would not engage in any major amphibious operations until 1944. There is a great deal of merit in that idea, and I began this game with a similar idea, though for particular reasons I wanted to shoot for early autumn of '43. This strategy has merit because it minimizes the times the Allies take on Japan at equal or disadvantageous odds. Meanwhile, the Japanese player feels good about things and continues to build up his front line defenses, while also working on his rear defenses. Then, in '44, the Allies can simply bypass the first line of defense and simply overwhelm an interior and critically important locale - Borneo, Luzon, Hokkaido, and Sikhalin Island come to mind. If the Allies haven't lost anything major in '42 or '43, they would have a force of ships and men so powerful that there would be no stopping them, especially if the Allied player acheived strategic surprise through deception. In this game, Brad may force me to move much earlier due to the situation in India, but I still hold out some hope that I can avoid committing to a big op until around September '43.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 603
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 5:02:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
PnzrB: In Cap-n-Gown's AAR, PnzrB noted that as the Allies he would not engage in any major amphibious operations until 1944. There is a great deal of merit in that idea, and I began this game with a similar idea, though for particular reasons I wanted to shoot for early autumn of '43. This strategy has merit because it minimizes the times the Allies take on Japan at equal or disadvantageous odds. Meanwhile, the Japanese player feels good about things and continues to build up his front line defenses, while also working on his rear defenses. Then, in '44, the Allies can simply bypass the first line of defense and simply overwhelm an interior and critically important locale - Borneo, Luzon, Hokkaido, and Sikhalin Island come to mind. If the Allies haven't lost anything major in '42 or '43, they would have a force of ships and men so powerful that there would be no stopping them, especially if the Allied player acheived strategic surprise through deception. In this game, Brad may force me to move much earlier due to the situation in India, but I still hold out some hope that I can avoid committing to a big op until around September '43.

While I agree with the logic of this approach from a strictly Allied military balance perspective, 99.9% of games where the Allies run and hide until >January 1944 will wind up dropped by the IJ player-and with good cause. PBEM is an application of tactical and strategic military principles, true enough. But it's also a game that's supposed to be fun for both players.

Philosophically, how is this "no offensives until 1944" different than "I wanna wait until I get A-bombs to start an offensive"? Only different by degrees. I would probably drop a game if the latter approach was adopted.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 604
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 5:08:19 PM   
Canoerebel

It's a legitimate tactic in my book assuming that the Japanese player has an adequate counter, which he probably does - as long as he's alert to the peril and structures his defenses accordingly.  If there isn't an adequate counter, then the tactic would be an abuse of the game engine and would require a house rule.  But until that is known for certain, I think the tactic is legit. 

P.S.  By the same token, I think the few comments made to the effect that Brad may be proving that Japan is too strong in Scenario Two so that house rules may be needed to address "the India gambit" are extremely premature.  Brad is a very good player, but my strategy is certainly enabling him to do alot of things that he might not be free to do given a different Allied strategy.  This game may be a perfect storm of (1) good Japanese pleyer who (2) with experience knows how far he can push, and (3) is aggressive in pushing, and (4) is facing an Allied player willing to concede alot of territory.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 605
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 5:17:38 PM   
VSWG

quote:

Allied Reinforcements: I withdrew a bunch of short-timer aircraft squadrons to bolster my political points, and then on the 30th bought 27th Division and a restricted Canadia unit. These were immediately ordered to board transports, 27th bound for Capetown via Balboa, and the Canadians bound for Attu or Adak. I was fortunate that I acted when I did, because I forgot that about 10 zillion ships were set to auto-upgrade the next day. So now half my ships are in the yards for a couple of weeks.

You don't have to transport troops manually between the USA and Capetown. Strat move a LCU to Eastern USA, and then set its destination to Capetown. The unit will disappear, and appear in Capetown approx. 30 days later. Same with planes.

See chapter 8.3.3. of the manual for details.

< Message edited by VSWG -- 10/16/2010 5:18:07 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 606
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 6:55:16 PM   
Canoerebel

Wow, I didn't know that! Great info, but I wish you had posted about 40 days ago game time!

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 607
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 7:14:27 PM   
ny59giants

With the loss of some of your India bases for reinforcements to arrive, you say they will show up at Aden. Have you looked ahead to see how many of them "may" need PP to buy out as they were initially going to be assigned "Restricted" commands??

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 608
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 7:32:35 PM   
Smeulders

quote:

Wow, I didn't know that! Great info, but I wish you had posted about 40 days ago game time!

If you used quick transports, your still better off doing it this way. I'm not quite sure what speed they use for the automatic transfer, but they certainly won't beat a liner.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 609
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 8:44:27 PM   
Canoerebel

NYGiants, that's another good question that I hadn't bothered to ask myself.  I'll reply based upon what I do know, then I want to ask a question open to anybody reading this.

The British division that will arrive in Aden in less than a month will be unrestricted.  That amounts to about 450 AV including the recce regiment.  In addition, a U.S. Army division, two Marine regiments and a Marine tank unit will arrive at Capetown within a month, giving me an additional 730 AV.  The Indian units that are diverting from Madras to Aden don't begin arriving for awhile - at least two more months.

Now, my question for the peanut gallery.  [WARNING:  In answering this question, please don't base your answer on anything you've read in Q-Ball's AAR, especially concerning the forces he has available in India and what his intentions are there.]  How much Japanese AV do you think it would take to conquer a major urban hex (like Bombay, Cawnpore, Delhi, and Karachi) that had 1,500 AV behind six forts?  There are variables of course - like supply availability and the quality of the defenders.  But just a rough guesstimate as to how much AV and how long to conquer?

I'm trying to choose between one of two defensive options:  [1] evacuate the front lines and send all troops to Karachi to make a last stand; or [2] utilize the defensive terrain to slow, stymie, and frustrate the enemy even if I end up losing garrisons at places like Bombay and Delhi.

If I choose the latter, which I'm leaning toward at the moment, I think I can configure my defenses like this:  Bombay, six forts, 2,000 AV; Karachi, four or five forts, 2,500 to 3,000 AV [once the Brit and American reinforcements arrive]; Delhi or Ahmadebad, four forts, 1,000 to 1,500 AV.

Here's another question that I can't answer off the top of my head:  When do the Indian units really begin to flesh out?  I seem to remember that they begin growing substantially in late '42, allowing the Allies to go on the offensive in most games, but perhaps it's actually '43?

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 10/16/2010 8:46:54 PM >

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 610
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 8:47:13 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

Now, my question for the peanut gallery.  [WARNING:  In answering this question, please don't base your answer on anything you've read in Q-Ball's AAR, especially concerning the forces he has available in India and what his intentions are there.]  How much Japanese AV do you think it would take to conquer a major urban hex (like Bombay, Cawnpore, Delhi, and Karachi) that had 1,500 AV behind six forts?  There are variables of course - like supply availability and the quality of the defenders.  But just a rough guesstimate as to how much AV and how long to conquer?

I'd surround it and starve them out. Air bombardment. I wouldn't assault the place.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 611
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 8:50:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

NYGiants, that's another good question that I hadn't bothered to ask myself.  I'll reply based upon what I do know, then I want to ask a question open to anybody reading this.

The British division that will arrive in Aden in less than a month will be unrestricted.  That amounts to about 450 AV including the recce regiment.  In addition, a U.S. Army division, two Marine regiments and a Marine tank unit will arrive at Capetown within a month, giving me an additional 730 AV.  The Indian units that are diverting from Madras to Aden don't begin arriving for awhile - at least two more months.

I'm trying to choose between one of two defensive options:  [1] evacuate the front lines and send all troops to Karachi to make a last stand; or [2] utilize the defensive terrain to slow, stymie, and frustrate the enemy even if I end up losing garrisons at places like Bombay and Delhi.

If I choose the latter, which I'm leaning toward at the moment, I think I can configure my defenses like this:  Bombay, six forts, 2,000 AV; Karachi, four or five forts, 2,500 to 3,000 AV [once the Brit and American reinforcements arrive]; Delhi or Ahmadebad, four forts, 1,000 to 1,500 AV.

Here's another question that I can't answer off the top of my head:  When do the Indian units really begin to flesh out?  I seem to remember that they begin growing substantially in late '42, allowing the Allies to go on the offensive in most games, but perhaps it's actually '43?

Assuming approximately equal quality parity of attackers / defenders, I'd say 4-5x the AV value of the attacker would be necessary. Thus, 6,000-7,500 AV to answer your question. That scenario you describe would be a tough nut to crack.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 612
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 8:58:57 PM   
VSWG

My rule of thumb is defending AV x terrain modifier. Unless the defender is out of supply, of course.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 613
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 9:53:15 PM   
witpqs

quote:

The Indian units that are diverting from Madras to Aden don't begin arriving for awhile - at least two more months.

Wow - they divert to Aden instead of to Karachi?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 614
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/16/2010 10:00:18 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Now, my question for the peanut gallery. [WARNING: In answering this question, please don't base your answer on anything you've read in Q-Ball's AAR, especially concerning the forces he has available in India and what his intentions are there.] How much Japanese AV do you think it would take to conquer a major urban hex (like Bombay, Cawnpore, Delhi, and Karachi) that had 1,500 AV behind six forts? There are variables of course - like supply availability and the quality of the defenders. But just a rough guesstimate as to how much AV and how long to conquer?

5,000 or a bit more based on the lowish quality of some of your troops. However, it would take a looooong time, and lots of supply on the attackers side. IF you are talking Karachi, I don't know that he could totally blockade. individual ships could slip through. Maybe not troops, but supply yes. You have xAK's to burn. The KB could isolate, but not for months at at time unless he would divide it. a though. If you are preparing for a long seige, land based AA is much better than ship based. at least if you have enogh of it. You might want to consider getting a whole big bunch of AA in there to protect you supply ships comming in. Time is ticking by, I don't there is enough of it left for a long siege.
I thank you and your opponent for an interesting game and the great AAR.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 615
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/17/2010 3:49:24 PM   
vettim89

I think you may to do some math on this issue. What does 15 full divisions of IJA power equal in terms of AS? What is the total AS of your units in India now? What is the potential growth for your units? How much AS are you sending to India and how much is going to come as reinforcements?

The reason I ask those questions is that I think it is likely that the Japanese offensive with eventually grind to a halt even if that occurs at the outskirts of Karachi. The next question is what will you do once that happens? Will you try to kick the Japanese out of India? If that is the case, what additional forces will be necessary to move 15 divisions back and eventually out? The Allies are not exactly blessed with very many LCU's. If you go full bore to get the Japanese out of India, you may not be able to do much more. You have no choice but to reinforce India now to avoid the knock out blow. I guess I am saying that you need to think very long term when you decide what forces you allocate to this theater.

So much game to be played right now. Depending on what happens over the next year or so, Q-Ball may have almost his entire army in a very exposed position. There are so many ways you will eventually be able to cut off this huge force from its supply source. Brad is an astute player. I have to wonder if there is a point where he will see that autovictory is not obtainable. If that happens he will likley very quickly pull most of his forces out of India. If he doesn't, all you have to do is go deep and take Sumatra or even Rangoon to cut him off. So as I see it, your goal should be to hold the line to that point where Brad's "spidey sense" starts tingling. I think he'll pull out long before you have the power to push him out. So if you overallocate resources to India, you are actually playing into his strategy. JOMHO

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Post #: 616
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/17/2010 4:38:36 PM   
bigred

I recall from my previous defense of NZ if you place any troops in the capitol city they can be disbanded at your convienence, all the troops and equipment are placed in your pools. This can also be done at any city w/ over 100000 supply(good luck). You may need to use this option. Disband before the city surrenders. Just another defensive tool.

---bigred---

IJ Production mistakes--
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2597400

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 617
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/17/2010 8:16:26 PM   
Canoerebel

BigRed: Thanks for yet another helpful reader tip. I am getting some very helpful input and rule citings from you guys.

Vettim: I don't plan to engage in a sustained, massive campaign to reconquer India. I prefer to cut to the chase and start my first major campaign somewhere much closer to the Japanese heartland. Of course, that doesn't mean I won't fight in India. I'll use troops and aircraft as best I can, but my main effort will be to use India as a diversion (this isn't anything new - I've outlined this from the beginning of the game). Of course, this is subject to change to adapt the the actual circumstances as the game further develops.

I think there is a reasonable chance that Brad has already decided whether or not he's coming full bore in India. I am scouring SigInt and known troop dispositions for clues or signs of withdrawals. If he is withdrawing, he would keep up some forward pressure while at the same time organizing a pull out. I'm going to stop and mount a credible fight at Cawnpore (major urban hex in north India) and see if Brad really wants it. My gut feeling is that Brad isn't coming full bore, but I am not acting on that until I have enough evidence to draw an informed conclusion.

Thus far the Allies have played the game just as outlined in the opening days of the war. Here's a summary of what that plan has been and how it's worked out. Interestingly, even though I feel justified in giving myself some high marks to this point, all of these things are secondary to whether or not I made the right call in not using my carriers or other offensive capabilities to counter Brad's India offensive. If I've failed in that regard, then all of my successes will be meaningless.

1. At the outset, I felt that Brad would come hard for one of these three places - India, Austrailia, or Hawaii. All early war deployements were made with that in mind.

2. Brad orchestrated a massive diversion against Australia. While impressed by his efforts there, I remained worried about India. Consequently, the Allies diverted one of the two Aussie divisions that arrive at Aden to India. That was an astute move and I bet it made Brad scractch his head when he first bumped into those Aussies.

3. If Brad invaded either Oz or India, I wanted him to penetrate deeply, but not deeply enough to threat the main urban area (Melbourne/Sydney and Karachi/Delhi). I thought (and think) that I can eventually use penetration against the Japanese.

4. The rigid invocation of the "force in being" use of the Allied carriers has clearly made Brad reluctant to venture forth anywhere away from the KB or outside his LBA umbrella. Thus, while he has made great strides in India, he has been totally, completely absent from the Pacific. This has allowed the Allies to develop good defenses of the Aluetians, Midway, Canton Island, and Fiji. Of these, Midway and the Aleutians are of paramount importance given my future plans.

5. I think that the big Allied build up in the Aleutians has Brad's full attention, as it is meant to. I don't have any way of knowing this for certain, but I suspect that Brad's decision making in India is now influenced by the growing (appearance of an) Allied threat in NoPac. If that's the case, the the Aleutians operation has been a crictical operation even though no battle has occurred there (yet).

6. Throughout the game, the Allies have worked hard to position troops, supplies, fuel, ships, and aircraft in harmony with my long-range strategic plan. Despite the havoc in India, this has continued.

So, everything that has happened in the game to this point has been in accordance with Allied plans. But the jury is still out as to whether the plan was fatally flawed due to Japanese success in India. I think I'm going to prevail in India (by prevail I mean holding Karachi/Delhi), but I didn't mean to cut things so finely.

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 618
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/18/2010 5:47:38 AM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

Allied Reinforcements: I withdrew a bunch of short-timer aircraft squadrons to bolster my political points, and then on the 30th bought 27th Division and a restricted Canadia unit. These were immediately ordered to board transports, 27th bound for Capetown via Balboa, and the Canadians bound for Attu or Adak. I was fortunate that I acted when I did, because I forgot that about 10 zillion ships were set to auto-upgrade the next day. So now half my ships are in the yards for a couple of weeks.

You don't have to transport troops manually between the USA and Capetown. Strat move a LCU to Eastern USA, and then set its destination to Capetown. The unit will disappear, and appear in Capetown approx. 30 days later. Same with planes.

I am pretty sure this only works with air groups and not infantry. Infantry still needs to be loaded on a ship and moved to Cape Town. Anyways it does not matter much. A transport TF will arrive in Capetown in about the same time as just clicking on the unit. Takes about 30 days for an air group to make the shift. I will check the next time I load a turn.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 619
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/18/2010 10:29:05 AM   
ADB123

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: VSWG

quote:

I am pretty sure this only works with air groups and not infantry. Infantry still needs to be loaded on a ship and moved to Cape Town. Anyways it does not matter much. A transport TF will arrive in Capetown in about the same time as just clicking on the unit. Takes about 30 days for an air group to make the shift. I will check the next time I load a turn.

No, it works for LCUs too.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 620
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/18/2010 3:27:45 PM   
Canoerebel

6/10/42 and 6/11/42

Reading the Tea Leaves: Well, I can't read 'em! Every bit of data and intel I gather can be interpreted different ways. I still have this vague hunch that Brad isn't going to make a try for all of India...but then I see some powerful unit somewhere and wonder if he might be concentrating the biggest part of his army just behind the front lines, where I can't see 'em, giving the appearance that his front line forces aren't particulary powerful. So I continue to play as if he's coming, while also scouring the boards for evidence of his true intentions. I really don't have to "know" for a few more weeks. Once the Marines and 27th Division arrive in Capetown, I need to know whether to send them on to Aden and Karachi, or instead whether to park them (plus the soon-to-arrive UK division) in Capetown for eventual use in the clever and deadly Allied plan.

India: Brad has my southernmost Indian division trapped behind the lines. He's tyring to corral it, but that will take him some time. Losing a division will embarrassing, but if that division ends up costing the enemy a month or two of chasing it around with three divisions, well, that's probably a pretty useful use. :)

NoPac: The Canadian Rocky Mountain battalion has arrived at Attu and unloaded. I really like having this unit at Attu - it just feels right. Brad and I have a rule that you have to buy restricted units, which of course I've done for this one. There isn't any rule against using Canadians anywhere once bought, but I'll self-impose a rule that they are restricted to Alaska (or perhaps I'd feel justified in limiting them to NoPac - it might be nice, one of these days, to use them in an invasion of the Kuriles or Sikhalin Island).

SoPac: A Kiwi brigade will arrive at Auckland in three days, bumping the AV to about 450. Except for one artillery unit and one EAB, no USA troops have gone to NZ, but I think this place is pretty secure what with most of the Japanese army situated in India.

(in reply to ADB123)
Post #: 621
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/18/2010 6:24:18 PM   
Canoerebel

See map of central and northern India campaign. Some notes:

1) AVs are current - in addition to those given, the Allies have another 1500 AV or so spread between smaller Indian cities and important crossroads and dot hexes.

2) This is not the disposition for the "final defense" of India, if it comes to that. At this time, my plan is to withdraw my forces into three urban hexes for final defense - Bombay, Ahmadebad and Karachi. Each of these three cities should have something between 1500 and 2,000 AV. That will increase considerably in Karachi if Brad crosses the "drop dead" line to trigger Allied reinforcements.

3) Were Brad truly going to take a crack at conquering all of India, I would expect him to want to isolate and destroy that part of the Indian army currently around Cawnpore. To accomplish that, I think he would utilize a "holding force" to engage and "freeze" my troops along the front lines; then he would do one of two things: (a) move a vast army through the lightly guarded interior sections to the south, or (b) engage in a massive ampbhious landing at Surat or that base across the bay. I do not see any signs of Brad doing either, which is what's feeding my hunch - still very tentative, but taking shape nonetheless - that Brad isn't coming for NW India.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 622
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/19/2010 2:07:10 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

NoPac: The Canadian Rocky Mountain battalion has arrived at Attu and unloaded. I really like having this unit at Attu - it just feels right.

Well, the highest elevation on Attu is only about 3000 feet (900 m). So I don't think mountain-climbing skills will be called for. But it does seem reasonable to have troops presumably equipped with cold-weather gear.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 623
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/19/2010 3:15:43 PM   
Canoerebel

6/12/42 and 6/13/42

India: The vanguard of the Japanese force pushing the Allies across northern India is nearing Cawnpore, where the Allies will make a stand (temporary if outnumbered, permanent if not). I should know fairly soon whether Brad is bringing the kitchen sink or if, instead, he's decided against a fullscale assault across the subcontinent. To the south, the Allies are playing mouse-and-cat with the cutoff Indian division. That unit is now moving NE in an effort to scoot between Japanese garrisons, but it might not work. A modest Japanese force will take Poona tomorrow, but isn't enough to threaten Bombay - in fact, unless Brad has more coming, his force there is at risk of being attacked. The Allied airforce is a little more active in India of late, with mixed results. S-46 torpedoed an APD and an AK, and damaged by gun two more AK, at Madras on the 6/11 and 6/12. A rampage of sorts. A bunch of V Air Corps squadrons - bombers and fighters - recently arrived at Karachi. SigInt reveals 7th Tank Regiment at Cuttack on the east coast. I want to see if that unit ends up on the front lines. If so, it would suggest that Brad is still coming. Summary: The campaign in India is still developing, and I don't have a confident feel for the situation yet.

NoPac: Rocky Mountain Battalion finished landing at Attu. A Marine CD unit will arrive in four or five days. That's the last of the reinforcements in the near term. SigInt reveals 301 Infantry Battalion landed at Ketoi Jima, where the airfield just went to level two.

SoPac: Three xAK were not unloading motorized transport at Nadi, so I bit the bullet and moved them to the docks at adjacent Suva. As expected, an IJN sub got one, but the other two finished unloading. A Japanase TF of unknown composition sighted NW of Fiji on the 13th.

Oz: B-17s from Geraldton destroyed five Kates on the ground at Corunna Downs. RO-60 got an xAKL near Sydney. On the 12th, I caught wind of a Glen patrol near Melbourne, so I decided to move most of my combat ships to Augusta. On the way, they tangled with I-9 (no damage done), so I'm going to divert them to Hobart by a long, winding route. I don't want Brad knowing where my big CAs (Portland and Pensacola) are stationed.

Strategic: From SigInt, Ops reports, and cursor intel, it appears to me that Brad is devoting much attention (and engineering units) to work in NoPac, western Australia, and India. This dovetails with the effect I'm trying to create and with the utlimate Allied strategy in the game. I could be misreading things, or Brad could have a sudden epiphany or two at any point during the game, but at this point I'm very, very pleased with how things are going everywhere except India, where I'm still not sure of the ultimate outcome.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 10/19/2010 3:16:48 PM >

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 624
Where the Heck is this Place? - 10/19/2010 6:13:04 PM   
Canoerebel

6/14/42 and 6/15/42

India: Two-thirds of Imperial Guards takes vacant Poona. The Allies will attempt to prevent base/fort building activity there by bombing (currently a level one airfield). Brad has turned nearby Goa into a major airfield (level four) with a heck of alot of aircraft. It sure is challenging to read all these tea leaves in India. Just as I'm beginning to think Brad will back down, SigInt shows 14th Independent Mortar Battalion on a Maru heading for Madras. Okay, that's a solid indication that he's not backing down. 54th Division is close to Cawnpore and Lucknow. Now let's see if it moves to either base. SigInt says 28th Divsion is planning to attack Karachi. That's the first prep intel for a NW India base.

Philippines: A second IJ deliberate attack at Bataan comes off at 1:1 and drops forts to three. This base, long, long, long out of supply, will fall before the end of the month.

CenPac: Allied recon from Canton Island has long showed two IJ units at Baker Island. SigInt reports that one of these is 85th IJAAF Company. The other is probably a Naval Guard or something of the sort. I have troops (300 AV) prepping for Baker at San Diego, and this is the kind of intel that makes me seriously consider proceeding with the invasion. However, most of the prepping troops are restricted and right now I'm hoarding PP to buy big US units on the West Coast, or reinforcing Indian units arriving at Aden.

Benefits of Foresight: In my game with Miller, I recall the Allies being overwhelmed with engineer units, especially the SeaBees that show up at Port Hueneme on the West Coast. I didn't know what to do with them, and I was afraid to send them to the front lines due to the complete havoc being wrought by Miller's subs and combat ships. In this game, though, I can't get enough engineer units. As soon as they arrive, they depart for the front in what I think is a well-orchestrated effort to secure and build up important bases, and to give the appearance of a growing menace in NoPac. My ability to send the units safely to the front lines is a byproduct of Brad's reluctance (as I see it) to use his combat ships in Indian country. This is because he doesn't know where my carriers are. (At least that's how I'd like to think things are working).

Where the Heck is this Place?: Ops shows Kusaie Island port and airfield both going to level one. I have no idea where this base is. I checked the Kuriles, Volcano Islands, Sea of Japan, etc. and couldn't find it. The base list function only seems to show friendly bases. Do any of you IJ players know where this island is?

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 10/19/2010 6:16:03 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 625
RE: Where the Heck is this Place? - 10/19/2010 6:28:09 PM   
VSWG

It's between Kwajalein and Rabaul.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 626
RE: Where the Heck is this Place? - 10/19/2010 6:30:43 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks, VSWG.

SigInt and Ops reports can be goldmines of information.

(in reply to VSWG)
Post #: 627
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/19/2010 7:26:22 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

Are you running all the Capetown fuel to Perth? It distributes nicely to the rest of Australia. That did not used to work but a recent patch made this work and it really helps.

Not if you are trying to accumulate fuel and supplies at Perth for an offensive. It just evaporates. With Oz you are put in the weird situation of having to build up bases that is not connected to the mainland in order to have any sort of fuel storage. Sidney, a level 9 port is just a pain to use as the Australian industry just sucks up any fuel delivered there.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 628
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/19/2010 10:45:32 PM   
Canoerebel

6/16/42

Brief Intermission Coming: Brad is out of town for 36 hours, so the next update will probably be Thursday morning. In the meantime, I'm using the breather to really look at the map, consider what I need to be doing, and attending to a thousand little details like pilot training.

India: The Allies are shuffling a few troops around. Bombay will receive two more Indian brigades brining her AV to about 1600. I really want to bump that up to about 1900, but haven't figured out how to do so. In trying to read the tea leaves, it doesn't appear that Brad is going for a quick knockout in India and it doesn't appear that he's pulling out. That leaves only one option: he's preparing for a protracted campaign in India. This means I need to attend to reinforcements and supplies. Long range, though, I just can't believe he'd be looking to conquer the subcontinent in late '42 or '43. Won't too much time have elapsed? Won't the Indian units be getting too strong by that point?

Effect on Allied Strategic Plan: As long as Brad doesn't conquer NW India, I'm very glad that he seems to be focusing on India. I want as much of his army concentrated there as possible when the Allies implement their counteroffensive.

SigInt: Report 14th Division is on a Maru heading for Rabaul. Now this is a surprise. What is the ultimate destination and purpose? My best guesses: (1) Brad will split the unit and send each element to critical bases such as Port Moresby and Luganville; (2) he'll use this as a theater reserve, parked in Rabaul and ready for rapid deployment; (3) he's invading Fiji. No action is required by me in any of these cases (Fiji's defenses are set now).

SoPac: I don't want to make any risky moves, but assuming I get the all clear at the appropriate moment, the Allies will occupy Funafuti at the same time they invade Baker Island. If I'm going to do this any time soon, I need to use a bundle of PP to buy restricted units in San Diego. First, though, I need to by an Indian brigade (Eastern Command) that will arrive at Aden in two weeks.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 629
RE: One Weird Battle - 10/19/2010 11:50:12 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Not if you are trying to accumulate fuel and supplies at Perth for an offensive. It just evaporates. With Oz you are put in the weird situation of having to build up bases that is not connected to the mainland in order to have any sort of fuel storage. Sidney, a level 9 port is just a pain to use as the Australian industry just sucks up any fuel delivered there.

It seems I get a ton at Capetown and I usually have extra xAK's so I ship it over. It seems to go everywhere except Northern Australia so it saves me from having to run tankers through the Coral Sea. Sydney sucks up plenty, but enough goes up the coast to make it usefull. Anything to keep my tankers out of harms way in 1942.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: One Weird Battle Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI