Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Where's the activity

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Where's the activity Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Where's the activity - 7/4/2010 12:54:09 AM   
Talon_XBMCX

I never cared for Steam or any other invasive DRM. Thats one reason I stick with and send people to Matrix. There are several titles from otehr developers I would love to get but I refuse to purchase a game that requires an online connection just to play offline.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 31
RE: Where's the activity - 7/4/2010 6:01:57 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panman

I never cared for Steam or any other invasive DRM. Thats one reason I stick with and send people to Matrix. There are several titles from otehr developers I would love to get but I refuse to purchase a game that requires an online connection just to play offline.

Steam sounds like good old fashioned spyware to me, and I will not have anything to do with it.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Talon_XBMCX)
Post #: 32
RE: Where's the activity - 7/7/2010 11:52:17 PM   
hewwo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panman

There are several titles from otehr developers I would love to get but I refuse to purchase a game that requires an online connection just to play offline.

Steam sounds like good old fashioned spyware to me, and I will not have anything to do with it.

You don't need an online connection to play, just to download and validate the game once.

I love steam. You shouldn't underestimate the community feature it has. Getting into an online game with friends is so incredibly easy. And being able to chat in-game with friends while playing games (not on the same server, or even same game) is awesome. And then there is the automatic updating, and last but not least: incredible sales! Just got HoI 3 + brand new expansion for 66% off!!

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 33
RE: Where's the activity - 7/8/2010 1:16:00 AM   
the1sean

High, guys, I'm back from no-internet-connection-hell. Just moved house, and man does it suck not having high speed internet at home!

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 34
RE: Where's the activity - 7/8/2010 2:58:42 AM   
jalapen0

That does suck. I always try to time it so I have internet within 2 days of moving into a new place. :)

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 35
RE: Where's the activity - 7/8/2010 2:31:24 PM   
WoodMan

Hehe, welcome back Sean, yeah when you move home, internet should always be the number 1 priority 

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 36
RE: Where's the activity - 7/8/2010 7:16:31 PM   
Pford

quote:

ORIGINAL: jalapen0

Man, this forum is dead. As awesome as this game is, I'd expect it to liven up a little.

My theory: DW lacks multi-player or even way to upload competitive scores to a web site as in Galactic Civilizations. Even if only a fraction of buyers ever venture into MP I've noticed that they contribute a contagious buzz to a release that can be lacking in games that are strictly single player.

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 37
RE: Where's the activity - 7/8/2010 7:32:10 PM   
WoodMan

Hmm, I personally think Multiplayer would spoilt it.  How can you have 20 people that sit and meet up at exactly the same time to play a full game of DW, its not like Call of Duty where you can just jump in and out whenever you want.  Also, the fans and developers of GalCiv seem to agree that what made the single player so great and particularly the development of the AI over time was that the developers dedicated their time to making a single player game and not making any of the compromises that would be needed to make it multiplayer.

(in reply to Pford)
Post #: 38
RE: Where's the activity - 7/8/2010 8:56:47 PM   
jalapen0

I like single player and multiplayer. I think this game would work great for multiplayer, if only 2 or 3 people at a time. 20 is usually excessive for a game like this but hey, they do it in EU3.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 39
RE: Where's the activity - 7/9/2010 3:44:36 PM   
Gargoil

quote:

ORIGINAL: hewwo
Just got HoI 3 + brand new expansion for 66% off!!

Off topic: HOI3/SF - Awesome game!

On Topic: I think many players of DW are waiting for the next patch / a couple of patch to get it where it needs to be. The mechanics of the game are great, but manual/auto AI have some confusion/cross contamination which cause problems.

(in reply to hewwo)
Post #: 40
RE: Where's the activity - 7/9/2010 8:21:26 PM   
WoodMan

quote:

I like single player and multiplayer. I think this game would work great for multiplayer, if only 2 or 3 people at a time. 20 is usually excessive for a game like this but hey, they do it in EU3.

I'm not totally against multiplayer, I just hope that if they did put it in they wouldn't change the pace of the game to fit MP, and that they wouldn't give up on making the AI/single player experience better.  Most games that have multiplayer have patch after patch aimed at multiplayer and the single player game is usually forgotten

(in reply to Gargoil)
Post #: 41
RE: Where's the activity - 7/10/2010 7:06:43 AM   
shibdib

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

quote:

Haven't posted or played for a bit now.

Real life and work and waiting to see if the issue about being able to sustain a long war is addressed.

With CIV 5 being Steam released I'll put more time into DW this fall.

JosEPh

Civ 5 looks amazing with the updated combat, something that has been a long time coming in that series.

But Steam is mandatory to even play CIV 5. So I won't be.

Better get used to it, programs like steam are whats keeping pc gaming alive. And honestly, its a great program.

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 42
RE: Where's the activity - 7/10/2010 8:18:05 AM   
drillerman

Yes, I agree with Shibdib. I think PC gaming is becoming "niche" in the high streets now, you only have to go into GAME to see an ever decreasing PC display. However I do feel that PC gaming is still alive and kicking in a big way through the internet.

Huh?

(in reply to shibdib)
Post #: 43
RE: Where's the activity - 7/10/2010 12:44:28 PM   
Subotan

quote:

But Steam is mandatory to even play CIV 5. So I won't be.

Hello 2004! Welcome to 2010!

Seriously though, although Steam is a pain in the ass to set up, always, once you've got it running, there's no problems whatsoever. Certainly in comparison to the crap EA pulled with Spore, Steam is far superior.

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 44
RE: Where's the activity - 7/10/2010 12:46:32 PM   
WoodMan

I like Steam, some of the games you can buy on there are really good value for money.  The only thing I don't like about Steam is that I was forced to install it because certain games won't run without it. 

(in reply to Subotan)
Post #: 45
RE: Where's the activity - 7/11/2010 11:29:30 PM   
jfpOne23

Steam will fire up your games connected or not. There is a setting to "play in offline mode" and you just select it in the Steam software. I worried about that too one weekend when my whole building had some "cable upgrade" -- but my worst fears were allayed. I have never had a major issue with Steam except for them getting patches later than usual a few times. And we're talking days, not months.

As for DW, I bought it the day it came out cause I knew it would be great. I have yet to play a single game though as I want to wait till most of the kinks are worked out before throwing myself into it (for weeks I'm sure). I also don't want to keep restarting new games because of patches. But I always come lurk here weekly and see what's up with progress.

I agree that things will pick up when major modding starts up. Keep the faith! This'll be a classic.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 46
RE: Where's the activity - 7/13/2010 2:03:26 AM   
Pford

quote:

ORIGINAL: jalapen0
I think this game would work great for multiplayer, if only 2 or 3 people at a time. 20 is usually excessive for a game like this but hey, they do it in EU3.

The best implementation of MP for a 4X game was Stars!: WEGO. Unlimited number of players (relatively) and PBEM friendly. Real time requires vast amounts of co-ordination and organizational skills. Of course, either would entail a drastic re-coding of DW.

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 47
RE: Where's the activity - 7/13/2010 3:23:48 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

Hehe, welcome back Sean, yeah when you move home, internet should always be the number 1 priority 

Thanks WoodMan, it was rough, but I persevered!

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 48
RE: Where's the activity - 7/18/2010 11:39:07 PM   
ASHBERY76

We need some official ideas about what the expansion pack will include to give life back to the forums with debate.

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 49
RE: Where's the activity - 7/19/2010 12:36:39 AM   
EisenHammer

Just don’t say anything about any part of the game being easy or someone will bite your head off.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 50
RE: Where's the activity - 7/19/2010 1:15:41 AM   
jalapen0

I'd like to see mulitple types of weaponry with multiple types of countermeasures in an expansion. Not rock, paper, scissors though.

(in reply to EisenHammer)
Post #: 51
RE: Where's the activity - 7/19/2010 11:20:04 AM   
Florestan

Well, people talk a lot about Ubisoft DRMs, but Steam use quite the same kind of system : you have to be connected to play. It is something to make people think about it twice before buying. I don't know why it makes not a bad reputation to steam as it does with Ubisoft. Well, at least, steam gives you a real, quite good quality service.
Well, even if the download speed is quite slow if you have a high quality connection like mine : you hardly can pass 1 MB/s, where I could go to 9 or 10, like with most fiber optic equipped computers. Even high end ADSL could get it twice as fast. I've heard some time ago that South Korea, which is mostly equipped with 100 Mb fiber, studied the possibility to install a 1Gb national internet network... For such a video games loving country, you would think Valve would do more.
quote:

With CIV 5 being Steam released I'll put more time into DW this fall.

You're waiting for civ 5 to be released (the 24th of september, some days only after the beginning of fall ) before to play to DW ?

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 52
RE: Where's the activity - 7/19/2010 11:44:46 AM   
Florestan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Subotan
Certainly in comparison to the crap EA pulled with Spore, Steam is far superior.

What about impulse ? Quite the same as steam, without the heavy DRM. The only, but big problem is the lack of good games... Well, for non-americans, the fact that you have to pay in dollars and that the prices are often not including VAT is quite annoying.
quote:

ORIGINAL: jfpOne23
There is a setting to "play in offline mode" and you just select it in the Steam software.

Does it work at last ? I tried it a lot some years ago. The only way I could get it to work was to crack the games I had bought...
quote:

ORIGINAL: jfpOne23
I have never had a major issue with Steam[...]

You must have a hell of guardian angel... I had lots and lots of problem with steam, beginning with games that won't start (Dragon Age release was just such a mess) games that won't start any more, steam that gets corrupt and removes your games from the list, times when even reinstalling steam did nothing (because you have to remove some folders hidden in the depths of the PC directories)...
I even bought a game that I could never got to finish because the patching system did not work (Dark messiah of Might and Magic). At that time, the customers service was just a joke, they kept sending me copy/pasted messages about reinstalling steam and such without ever reading my mails. I hope they improved since.

(in reply to Subotan)
Post #: 53
RE: Where's the activity - 7/21/2010 4:25:33 PM   
jalapen0

Man, the forum is D E A D the last couple days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_xXdiUoOmI

Hopefully the devs are working on a new release patch. I can't wait. I love this freakin game.

(in reply to Florestan)
Post #: 54
RE: Where's the activity - 7/21/2010 9:11:45 PM   
AMF

Yeah, where is everybody? Is this just the summer doldrums, or is everyone waiting for the new patch? I, for one, am in the latter camp.

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 55
RE: Where's the activity - 7/21/2010 11:26:07 PM   
JosEPhII

Well I for one have been betatesting a Modmod for Rise of Mankind for CIV IV BtS. But since I'm in disagreement with the Modder over some decision paths my CIV time will decrease and DW and Armada time will increase.

I like DW but I still have a problem with being able to finish a game by way of Conquest. Especially if I play Human with democracy or republic Gov't.  RTS, even plausible RTS like DW, is a hard readjustment for a dyed in the wool TBS'er, especially when you get older.

One of the Real problems I have here was the hue and cry that the game was too weak here or OP here way too soon. It needed more play time before we started chirping about balance and changes. But we chirped and Elliot and Erik responded. And IMHO we (the vocal players) caused some of the current headaches the game is eXperiencing. We just didn't play enough and have patience enough. But we did chirp, in fact I firmly believe way more than we should've. Influence is a Powerful tool and if used improperly.....can kill a thing of beauty. Just MHO.

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to AMF)
Post #: 56
RE: Where's the activity - 7/22/2010 11:11:27 AM   
WoodMan

quote:

Well I for one have been betatesting a Modmod for Rise of Mankind for CIV IV BtS. But since I'm in disagreement with the Modder over some decision paths my CIV time will decrease and DW and Armada time will increase.

I like DW but I still have a problem with being able to finish a game by way of Conquest. Especially if I play Human with democracy or republic Gov't.  RTS, even plausible RTS like DW, is a hard readjustment for a dyed in the wool TBS'er, especially when you get older.

One of the Real problems I have here was the hue and cry that the game was too weak here or OP here way too soon. It needed more play time before we started chirping about balance and changes. But we chirped and Elliot and Erik responded. And IMHO we (the vocal players) caused some of the current headaches the game is eXperiencing. We just didn't play enough and have patience enough. But we did chirp, in fact I firmly believe way more than we should've. Influence is a Powerful tool and if used improperly.....can kill a thing of beauty. Just MHO.

JosEPh

Ouch! hehe

I've only had the game since 1.0.4.9 and I played all the Beta patches, can't speak for earlier versions, but each beta (particularly 1.0.5.8) has improved the game.  Hope you enjoy your increased amount of time in DW

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 57
RE: Where's the activity - 7/22/2010 11:32:48 AM   
hewwo

quote:

JosEPh

Really? What changes are you specifically referring to?

I skipped playing since 1.0.4.9, but after seeing the huge list of fixes for 1.0.6.0 I going to give it another go. But if I find something I dislike I'll be sure to be unreasonably vocal about it

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 58
RE: Where's the activity - 9/28/2010 3:08:49 AM   
Simulation01

It's the great wait.  We're all holding our breath for the next patch and the expansion.  We've all blasted the developers with our wishes and now we're just waiting to see to what extent they listened.  That's what's happening.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Where's the activity Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI