Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategy game suggestions?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Strategy game suggestions? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategy game suggestions? - 7/7/2010 4:05:02 PM   
morbug

Hi everyone!

I used to love the strategy genre of PC-gaming but have been distracted by it's more glamorous cousins (FPS, RTS etc) for a few years now. Every now and then I make an effort to get back into some serious strategy gaming but inevitably I get distracted by something new and shiny. This is also true regarding board games where I used to play Pacific War, ASL etc a long while ago.

Now I've gotten into my head that I need a nice, serious strategy game to stimulate my mind and I turn to you all for some advice. What I want is a good turn-based game (or pausable real time strategy) that forces me to make difficult decisions and that makes me feel like I'm in charge but doesn't overwhelm me with a difficult/obtuse interface. I want to agonize over my strategic/operational/tactial options, not over what icon to click. So intuitive would be good. I'm pretty flexible regarding the genre (favourites include WWII (as always), Napoleonic, Fantasy/Sci fi but it's not really important).

Please leave a comment if you've got any suggestions. I've browsed Matrix games store (and the competitors') but the options are pretty overwhelming.

Thanks in advance!
Post #: 1
RE: Strategy game suggestions? - 7/7/2010 7:46:17 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

I would suggest Forge of Freedom if you have ANY interest in the Civil War. Deep yet very easy to pick up and very customizable as far as in-game options go that add more detail. It does have nation building if you choose and offers detailed battles also if you choose to add more depth. Since you like Napoleon era then the same company also makes Crown of Glory Empire Edition that was well received and is similar to FoF. I don't own that one because I am a total noob for the conflict.

Wars in America might be a good choice too for something that is easy to get into yet adds quite a bit of depth but is of the early American conflicts. There is also the new Storm over the Pacific that is more traditional. I am currently playing it.

As for space games, Distant Worlds might be a good choice. Never played it but it is turn based and well received also.

But as stated earlier, Forge of Freedom is a GREAT game. One that has provided me many hours of enjoyment.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to morbug)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategy game suggestions? - 7/7/2010 8:06:35 PM   
vonRocko

A few easy to learn and turn based favorites of mine are: Operation Barbarossa, Time of wrath, Storm over the pacific or Commander Europe at war.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategy game suggestions? - 7/7/2010 8:35:55 PM   
morbug

Thanks for the suggestions!

Right now I'm leaning toward Forge of Freedom or Crown of Glory. I would probably have overlooked Forge of Freedom completely but after your suggestion I read a couple of reviews and it sounds very good. I remember following the original Crown of Glory long ago but then forgetting about it. I've not played a Civil War game since a silly C64-game called North & South so I guess it's about time ;)

I actually own Distant Worlds and Time of Wrath. 4X-games are pretty much the only strategy games I've been playing for the last five to ten years so right now I'm looking for something a bit different :) I bought ToW on a whim a while back but havn't played it yet. I actually did the tutorial earlier today after reading about Storm over the Pacific and realizing that it's the same publisher. I'm a bit curious about SoP but I think I'll try ToW first since they look somewhat alike. I've been reading some AAR's for both ToW and SoP but for some reason I'm not quite convinced yet.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategy game suggestions? - 7/7/2010 9:01:57 PM   
Anraz

We are finishing a demo of Storm over the Pacific so soon there will be a possibility to check the game directly.

(in reply to morbug)
Post #: 5
RE: Strategy game suggestions? - 7/7/2010 9:28:35 PM   
PunkReaper

Lock n' Load Heroes of Stalingrad looks good.........

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategy game suggestions? - 7/7/2010 10:00:53 PM   
morbug

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anraz

We are finishing a demo of Storm over the Pacific so soon there will be a possibility to check the game directly.

Great! Looking forward to it :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Punk Reaper
Lock n' Load Heroes of Stalingrad looks good.........

Yes, it sure does. So many possibilities :)

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Strategy game suggestions? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI