Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal Noob

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal Noob Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 10:52:14 AM   
ComradeP

In post 297, there are 6 hexes with a German unit/German stacks that are coloured as being under Soviet control.

Could you perhaps post some screenshots with strength figures visible so we can see what 3 months of recovery time did for the Wehrmacht?

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 301
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 10:55:29 AM   
karonagames

1st year unit losses. The axis avoided losing units in encirclements the only units lost were support units that were used in counterattacks from reserve. Don't know enough about SU losses to comment.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 302
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:04:59 AM   
Flaviusx

Soviet losses are right on the money. They actually would've been significantly ahead if not for your very effective March counteroffensive.

Post #: 303
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:05:06 AM   
karonagames

End of first year OOB: Overall the Axis have 300k more men then the historical benchmark (lower losses), but the Soviets had 1,000,000 fewer than historically. Although the loss of Leningrad put a big dent in their manpower resources, this should have been compensated by holding the Donbas cities. As a result the conversion rates of raw manpower into fighting men has been adjusted down for the Axis and up for the SU for the next test. The amount of population evacuated to the East when population centres are captured has also been increased. The number of guards units created is slightly out of sync, but no changes to the rules for their creation will be in place for my next test.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 304
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:14:58 AM   
ComradeP

Your aircraft losses are quite low. Although every historian seems to present different figures, your losses cover what the Luftwaffe lost in 1941 according to most figures, which means you have the same losses up to late June 1942 as the Luftwaffe had up to around December 1941.

Your cavalry squad losses do seem to be surprisingly high, considering how few cavalry formations the Wehrmacht had left in 1941.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 7/27/2010 11:16:35 AM >

Post #: 305
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:15:34 AM   
Flaviusx

Yes, given that the Soviet losses are close to historical here, the Red Army ought to be somewhere near 6 million.

I don't know if the German manpower needs any adjustment. They are ahead of the game mostly because you didn't go nuts prior to the blizzard and overextend yourself. That 300k manpower cushion is just smart play on your part for not driving the Wehrmacht to the ground.

Also, in a PBEM situation I'm willing to bet the German losses would be somewhat higher.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 7/27/2010 11:17:13 AM >

Post #: 306
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:19:33 AM   
karonagames

Year End production report. This is the stuff that Pavel goes over, and leads him to tinker with his production formulas, I know there has been a major re-vamp of production for the new test I am about to start,but I do not know the details. The most obvious anomaly is the huge number of trucks I have in my truck pool (over 250k more than historically). This is the major reason why I can't continue into 1942, as I would never have a supply shortage caused by lack of trucks. After detailed analysis all we could find was that "something" happened around turn 18, and instead of losing 4,000 trucks a turn, the axis were gaining 20,000 for 5 turns then 5,000 per turn for the rest of this test. This did not happen on the version of the game released after this test, but we still don't know what the "something" was, so I will be keeping a close eye on truck numbers during my next test.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 307
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:26:50 AM   
Flaviusx

When did you connect the Finnish rail net to the German one via Leningrad? Maybe that caused the truck thing.

Post #: 308
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:32:50 AM   
ComradeP

Did you perhaps capture large quantities of Soviet trucks? Prior to turn 18, your pool and the required trucks/turn fluctuate greatly but that might be due to not attacking all across the front, or attacking all across the front.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 309
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:36:58 AM   
karonagames

@ComradeP and Flaviusx. Thanks for your comments. We do need a lot more PBEM tests, but they are so much slower than testing against the AI.

Well folks, that's it - a whole year at the front. Hopefully you can see why the game is still in alpha, but that the testing that is being done is helping get it closer to beta and into your hands. The designers do look at everything the testers post, and changes are made. I hope I have shown that GAIA can do a good job - I am still amazed by her withdrawal in front of Tula - she saved at least 30 divisions with that move.

As Field Marshal Noob, I think I am getting closer to losing noob status, but I continue to make mistakes - my rail network was ok for an attack on Moscow but bad for surviving the blizzard. I still need to balance out resource allocation between AGN and AGS, and I still need to fine tune my logistics and C&C decisions. And every army needs to have at least one motorised or cavalry unit attached.

Could I/should I have got Moscow?

Post #: 310
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:41:21 AM   
karonagames

Re: trucks. We looked at all that - the capture of Leningrad, captured vehicles etc., but none of it checked out. It is a mystery, but we have not recreated it, and until it can be re-created it is not officially a bug. It is a shame because I would have liked to have carried on into 1942.

Post #: 311
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:53:00 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

Well folks, that's it - a whole year at the front. Hopefully you can see why the game is still in alpha, but that the testing that is being done is helping get it closer to beta and into your hands. The designers do look at everything the testers post, and changes are made. I hope I have shown that GAIA can do a good job - I am still amazed by her withdrawal in front of Tula - she saved at least 30 divisions with that move.

As Field Marshal Noob, I think I am getting closer to losing noob status, but I continue to make mistakes - my rail network was ok for an attack on Moscow but bad for surviving the blizzard. I still need to balance out resource allocation between AGN and AGS, and I still need to fine tune my logistics and C&C decisions. And every army needs to have at least one motorised or cavalry unit attached.

Very nice Bob - congrats!!!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Post #: 312
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 11:57:34 AM   
karonagames

@ ComradeP. In post 297 I don't have hex control status switched on. I should have posted the end of turn 41 OOB so here it is:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 313
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 12:11:52 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

@ ComradeP. In post 297 I don't have hex control status switched on.

That's odd, because some of the hexes do show the colour change (normally) indicating a hex captured in that turn, which is why I was surprised about the anomaly that some of those hexes still showed the Soviet hex control colour.

As to whether you should have captured Moscow: for me, 1941 would be all about securing the flanks (or protecting them if you're the Soviets). You captured Leningrad after a fight and didn't have to fight to capture Sevastopol, so you did a very good job from that perspective. You're basically holding the Crimea with Romanians, which frees up German units.

Moscow is, for all intents and purposes, just another city. It's a big one, certainly, but it's not something you should become fixated upon in 1941 in my opinion. You ended the year with fairly low ground losses in terms of infantry and equipment (your tank losses look fairly good too), a strong Luftwaffe and in a good position to launch a summer offensive (for example: you can now focus all your heavy siege guns on Moscow, and AGC's front isn't one big mess of bulges, salients and scattered forces).

All in all, you did a good job.

Post #: 314
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/27/2010 1:34:26 PM   
SGHunt

Excellent job - especially husbanding your resources during the blizzard!   I''m still not sure how you the whole regimental reserve works.  

You are now officially promoted from Noob, Herr Feldmarschall, but we know there are others lurking out there who are the real masters, just biding their time to strike...

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 315
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/28/2010 9:56:07 AM   
karonagames

Leader portraits are starting to arrive:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 316
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/28/2010 12:27:56 PM   
Duck Doc

Excellent play & AAR, BigAnorak. Thanks much.

Just how effective or potent are the Rumanians & Italians in the game?

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 317
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/28/2010 2:20:49 PM   
karonagames

@ Dale H: thanks for your kind words. On normal settings, the Rumanians and Italians perform OK if they are carefully handled. As you saw in my AAR, the Rumanians held the "neck" in the Crimea because they were well dug in, but the Italians fell back because they weren't. When GAIA weakened the front, the Rumanians were able to advance into the Taman. On challenging, the SU morale bonus, and the reduction of Axis allied morale just seems to turn them to glass. I don't know if this is something Joel wants to tweak. I think in Jon's Challenging" AAR he used them in the front line in short bursts, before taking them out of the line for R&R.

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 318
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/28/2010 9:14:56 PM   
SGHunt

Jon also used them to cover the rear areas.   He garrisoned every city right across the South with allied infantry, and it seemed to me he reported much less partisan activity than in some other AAR's.   (I remember he had a whole Italian army (?) anchored on the Donbas cities, no doubt digging in, build up the fort levels, and providing a strategic defensive anchor).   

I liked the way you, O Large Coated One, deployed the Hungarian/Slovak fast divisions in the South.   My guess is they ended in need of some TLC, after their bold adventures and then the Winter?

Stuart

Post #: 319
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/28/2010 10:53:40 PM   
karonagames

Every time I play the campaign I come across problems that I try to solve in the next test, and getting into the Crimea has been a real problem for me in previous games, so the "Flying column" was my solution, which did seem to work well, but the consequence was that 2nd and 6th Army were desperate for motorised units to assist their advance on Kursk and Belgorod.

In fact I interrupted my "planning meeting" to write this post - I have been figuring out the allocation to corps and armies, and the lines of advance for all available motorised units to still get the Crimea quickly and make better progress in the Kursk/Belgorod region.

Sad isn't it?

It's only a Game

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 320
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/29/2010 3:12:58 AM   
nicwb

BigAnorak,

I have quite enjoyed reading your AAR.

The picture of Manstein - its a nice feature to give faces to the men tasked with carrying out the hard yards.

I understand what effect the values for Admin would have on the game etc but what sort of effect does the "political" value have ?

Also- just underneath what does "restrictions" refer to ?

Post #: 321
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/29/2010 3:25:08 AM   
PyleDriver

Restrictions is what level of command he can have...Corp, Army, Army Group, OKH. He can do it all...

Edit: Just went back and looked, It should say land, naval, or air, or a combo...Hum...Really can't see him in a naval command...

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 7/29/2010 3:30:36 AM >

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 322
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/29/2010 10:29:15 AM   
karonagames

Excerpt from the manual ( Subject to change)

"The political rating affects the cost to replace the leader, as well as the probability that the leader will be promoted for victories or dismissed for defeats. Though the actual admin cost is based on the differential in political ratings between a leader and the leader in the next higher head quarters, generally, the higher the political rating, the greater the cost in admin points to replace a leader. For the Axis player, there may be an additional admin cost for transferring combat units from one headquarters to another, dependent on the political rating differential between the two leaders of the involved headquarters. A high political rating also decreases the chance that the leader will be dismissed due to a poor victory/defeat ratio. In addition, a leader with a high political rating will have a greater probability of being promoted, all other things being equal. A low political rating will have the opposite effect on cost of replacement and chance of dismissal or promotion."

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 323
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/30/2010 8:55:13 PM   
Smirfy

Glad there is a revamp of production numbers 23 Karl 600's is pretty impressive

Post #: 324
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/30/2010 9:23:58 PM   
karonagames

Yes, interesting bug that one- I got 20+ Theodores in one game. Some of the support units that were eliminated, decided to re-equip themselves with the best BFGs available!

(in reply to Smirfy)
Post #: 325
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/31/2010 8:34:05 AM   
nicwb

Thanks for the reply PyleDriver & BigAnorak - as a bit of a newcomer to the forum - quite a few of the details get past me (not a good sign for a gaming enthusiast)

nicwb

Post #: 326
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 8/7/2010 1:48:44 PM   
karonagames

Air Unit Pictures are starting to arrive - not every variant of a model will be illustrated.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 327
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 8/7/2010 4:47:44 PM   
Josh

/dumb question alert

Uhm, if I may ask, I see max altitude and speed and so on, but is it in feet/metres/knots?

Post #: 328
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 8/7/2010 4:54:49 PM   
karonagames

Pass. Hopefully a fount of all knowledge will be along shortly.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 329
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 8/7/2010 5:34:42 PM   
wmcalpine

Josh,

I believe that maximum speed and cruise speed is in miles per hour. Radius is probably in miles (one way range for the Uhu is 416 miles, so radius would be close to one half this value. The screen indicates 197, so that is why I think this is probably miles). Climb rate is in feet per minute. Ceiling is in feet.

Bill

< Message edited by wmcalpine -- 8/7/2010 5:41:53 PM >

Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal Noob Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 [11] 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI