Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal Noob

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal Noob Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/14/2010 4:29:04 PM   
karonagames

The Airbases in front of Kiev are a definite AI bug that was reported.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 61
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/14/2010 4:32:46 PM   
karonagames

OOps, chopped off a bit of the South.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 62
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/14/2010 7:20:48 PM   
HerzKaraya

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helpless

quote:

Hi Helpless,

I remember from the previous AAR (Elmo and Pyledriver) that you mentioned something was in the works.
Just wanted to know if it was finished already.
Can't wait!!!

Bubi,

The list of aircraft been finalized (many been added). Soon we should get the art (photos) and fix missing data. WITE is not as air centric as WITP, but I hope it still should be a lot of fun to plan air raids.

Btw, Congrats on World Cup. We have a Spanish testers section but they got MIA (probably) due to that.

Thanks for the update, and yes - it has been a really outstanding feat to win the World Cup. Still celebrating!
If you need more Spanish testers....

Vista, suerte y al toro!

(in reply to Helpless)
Post #: 63
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/14/2010 9:47:18 PM   
Crocky

Great to have another AAR to whet the appetite   ......

Go the Kiwis (New Zealand) only unbeaten team at the world cup ....... :) got to cling to something

Mike Blair CROCKY

(in reply to HerzKaraya)
Post #: 64
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 9:31:14 AM   
karonagames

I'm surprised no-one wanted to comment on GAIA's moves here, so I'll give my opinion.

She clearly recognised the threat to the river south of Kiev and created a "defence in depth" set up behind the river with armoured units in the 3rd hex row behind the river. I think this is what all the testers would strive to achieve in the same situation.

Further south I think she had to trade space for time and therefore set up a screen using river lines wherever she could. My dash with the motorised brigades has given her an awkward defence in the south that I may be able to take advantage of, the "flying brigade" is fast but it doesn't pack a lot of punch.

The only thing she didn't do was put "skirmishers" or delaying forces in front of the panzers.

Overall I would score her 8/10 for that move.

(in reply to Crocky)
Post #: 65
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 9:44:49 AM   
janh

Indeed, the GAIA seems to do an excellent job for the Russian side in this situation.  If it is capable of giving you a hard time with just 10% bonuses (plus x-ray sight), it really must be considered excellent.  I am sure many people will appreciate it.
Secondary question:  Is there a way to script AI in this game?  I.e. make a scenario and script some initial moves, for example?

Post #: 66
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 11:26:22 AM   
ComradeP

quote:

I'm surprised no-one wanted to comment on GAIA's moves here

I'm still considering whether it would be worth doing so, as it's not clear how old the build you're showing us is. As you said in your first post, the AI changes/is improved every day. The progress was easier to track in PyleDriver's AAR because what we saw was the, at the time, current build.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 67
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 11:59:56 AM   
karonagames

The Build version date is in the top left of the all screenshots. I think I had 2 updates during the course of this test. I know the Airbase left behind bug has been fixed.

@ janh Yes the AI does have a scripting facility, and I know that before I came on board there was an SU Turn1 script based on Sabre21's (the head tester)"perfect" defence, but there have been so many changes to code that this script is now obsolete. Some of the scenario designers could tell you more about how it works. I think the smaller scenarios can make more use of AI scripts. It is obviously near impossible to script the full campaign, but I think as the modding community develops after the game releases, people will probably find ways to squeeze even more out of the AI.

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 7/15/2010 12:08:06 PM >

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 68
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:02:08 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 7. Well, she didn't stop me getting across the river. Delaying units would have burned the 1MP that a couple of the bridgehead units have, and may have stopped the 5MP unit that got across. This bridgehead will give me lots of options.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 69
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:07:41 PM   
karonagames

The screening force is unhinged - she can't keep reforming a line can she?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 70
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:13:07 PM   
karonagames

On the approaches to Leningrad 18th Army faces a solidifying defence, but 4th Panzer group is faced by disorganised units and has the chance of a significant breakthrough.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 71
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:18:26 PM   
karonagames

I decided to risk breaking an SS division down to regiments - their superior morale should help them fight off any attempts to break into the pocket.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 72
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:23:04 PM   
karonagames

Start of Turn 8. Yes, they managed to fight off the SU attempts to free their comrades from the pocket, with substantial help from the Luftwaffe. You will notice that GAIA only attacked regiment sized units.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 7/15/2010 4:25:53 PM >

Post #: 73
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:31:43 PM   
karonagames

Beginning turn 8: She didn't counter attack the bridgehead near Kiev, but she continues to build a defence in depth in front of my Panzers.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 74
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:35:07 PM   
karonagames

Beginning Turn 8: And she continues to scrape together screening forces in the far south.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 7/15/2010 5:04:24 PM >

Post #: 75
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:45:35 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 8. 4th Panzer knocks on the door of Leningrad. The numbers in the red circles are the fortification levels. I had expected the SU to have been digging bigger numbers than this. As a result of this, it was discovered that GAIA had not been using support units, particularly construction battalions, as well as she should. It is on Gary's "to do" list.

1st Panzer Div. down to 50 AFVs.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 7/15/2010 4:46:08 PM >

Post #: 76
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:50:44 PM   
karonagames

End of turn 8: Moving railhead forward to support the Drive on Moscow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 77
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:54:12 PM   
karonagames

End Turn 8: Kiev is Encircled.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 78
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 4:59:01 PM   
karonagames

End of Turn 8: The grey shaded area near Kirovograd is an example of my role-playing. I pulled back to a deployment I would use against a human. I have a good enough threat to the south of Cherkassy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 7/15/2010 5:00:05 PM >

Post #: 79
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 5:15:13 PM   
SGHunt

Thanks for these Screenies - they are really exciting and show the flow of the game very well.

Are you on target in game turns,  according to your planning schedule, and/or historically?

Stuart

PS the reason I didn't comment on your question was that I couldn't work out what it was you meant when you said some people wouldn't like what they saw.   It struck me that the GAPO (GAry's Programmed Opponent ) was doing a good job of legging it to escape envelopment and building a decent-ish defence in depth.   What else can it do?    I wonder if it could/should counter- attack more often, for the attrition as much as anything?

Post #: 80
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 6:11:43 PM   
karonagames

Thanks Stuart, you'll be doing this yourself soon! I asked the question, because I thought people might think she left Kiev exposed. Who is GAPO? She is GAIA!

The 4th PZ Group breakthrough has put me ahead at Leningrad - sending the extra PZ Korps there helped me. The centre is now a question of trying to prise open a crack in the defences, but the terrain is in the SU favour. In the south the screening forces did their job and stopped my dash for the Crimea.

Once you get into the game you start to see that there is a consequence to EVERY decision you make, some you don't see until several weeks or months after to made the original decision. I hope to illustrate this later in the AAR

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 81
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 7:08:52 PM   
Zovs

To me the German AI is Herman and the Soviet AI is Ivan. I really hate Herman and Ivan at times...

Beta Tester for:
Flashpoint Campaigns: Sudden Storm
War in the East 1 & 2
WarPlan & WarPlan Pacific
Valor & Victory
DG CWIE 2
SPWW2 & SPMBT scenario creator

Post #: 82
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 7:24:43 PM   
karonagames

I just realised I forgot to post the Month end report for July. Sorry this is out of sequence.

Front Line North:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 83
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 7:25:40 PM   
karonagames

Front Line South,

Attachment (1)

Post #: 84
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 7:32:20 PM   
karonagames

End of July Casualties:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 85
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 7:33:23 PM   
karonagames

End of July OOB:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 86
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 7:37:11 PM   
karonagames

And with that, I leave you for 7 days for a business/pleasure trip. SWMBO, who is a co-director of our company has threatened me with divorce if I take the laptop with me, so I am incommunicado for the next 7 days. Have fun, and I will continue the the Drive Eastwards in seven days time.

It's only a Game

Post #: 87
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 9:26:08 PM   
Josh

You can leave your laptop at home, but you probably can't get the game out of your mind.

Have a nice trip!

Post #: 88
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/15/2010 10:58:42 PM   
Pipewrench

thanks for the AAR's , you have sold me so far

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 89
RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal ... - 7/16/2010 12:43:14 PM   
ComradeP

Those failing attacks at 7:1 odds in men and 14:1 in artillery make it difficult to imagine how the Soviets are ever going to counterattack successfully. Maybe the AFV's were the main reason the attack failed, but an attack at those odds would probably have a comfortable chance of success in real life.

Also: why are fort levels of 0 indicated on the map in some cases, wouldn't every hex have a fort level of 0 if it doesn't have any kind of fort?

(in reply to Pipewrench)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Alpha AAR - A year at the front with Field Marshal Noob Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI