Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Am I the only one driven crazy by this?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Am I the only one driven crazy by this? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 1:28:14 AM   
mike scholl 1

Air units that are supposed to be "withdrawn" by a certain date..., but never have the "withdraw" option available. If it says to "withdraw" them, then "withdrawing" them ought to be an option!

It is for most units with this requirement..., why not the rest? It's almost as if someone on the AE team just got tired and failed to finish the task. Can't someone please step in and do so? In a game this complicated we need all the simplicity and straightforwardness we can find..., and this isn't.
Post #: 1
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 1:42:09 AM   
dr.diplodocus

your guys are either eager to stay in the fight or they want that extra combat pay.
Can't say I've seen it though. I've been spending much of my time with a guadalcanal PBEM and the few units that have needed withdrawing withdrew fine. But that was patches ago.. maybe it's a previous patch or something that is throwing a wrench in your plans.

(in reply to mike scholl 1)
Post #: 2
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 1:49:51 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

Air units that are supposed to be "withdrawn" by a certain date..., but never have the "withdraw" option available. If it says to "withdraw" them, then "withdrawing" them ought to be an option!

It is for most units with this requirement..., why not the rest? It's almost as if someone on the AE team just got tired and failed to finish the task. Can't someone please step in and do so? In a game this complicated we need all the simplicity and straightforwardness we can find..., and this isn't.

Isn't disbanding the unit the same thing as withdrawing, for game purposes?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 3
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 2:00:33 AM   
LST Express

Yeah, I think disbanding will do the trick.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 4
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 2:24:54 AM   
rockmedic109

I am not sure, but I think I read a post somewhere that said you are suposed to disband them.  IRL they went to Europe.  If you withdraw them, you keep the planes and pilots and if you disband them you loose both {effectively they are transferred to be used in Europe}.

(in reply to LST Express)
Post #: 5
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 2:37:22 AM   
ckammp

There's no reason to unfairly criticize the devs; they did "finish the task".

For an explaination of why some air groups that are scheduled for withdraw have the "Withdraw" option greyed-out, please see section 7.2.2 (page 169) of the manual.

Post #: 6
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 3:39:29 AM   
michaelm75au

Either the withdraw or disband button should be available.

The 'Withdraw by' can have more than one meaning. The withdrawal is either permanent or temporary, which would relate to one or the other of the buttons.
Originally, the 'Withdraw by' text said 'Withdraw by' or 'Disband by', but the testers decided that this was too confusing. The disband meant that the pilot/planes went back to the pool (temp) and the withdraw meant they were not (permanent).

Simple solution was to go with one text and whichever buttons were appropriate.

Michael

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 7
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 4:11:00 AM   
mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

The 'Withdraw by' can have more than one meaning. The withdrawal is either permanent or temporary, which would relate to one or the other of the buttons.
Originally, the 'Withdraw by' text said 'Withdraw by' or 'Disband by', but the testers decided that this was too confusing. The disband meant that the pilot/planes went back to the pool (temp) and the withdraw meant they were not (permanent).

That's the first clear explanation of it I've seen. Thanks Michael. But I was one of those testers, and I certainly never felt that "Disband by" was too confusing. And I can't see how being told to "disband" a unit, and having a "disband" button available, would be more confusing to a new player than what we have now. Whatever..., thanks for replying.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 8
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 6:08:16 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike scholl 1

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

That's the first clear explanation of it I've seen. Thanks Michael. But I was one of those testers, and I certainly never felt that "Disband by" was too confusing. And I can't see how being told to "disband" a unit, and having a "disband" button available, would be more confusing to a new player than what we have now. Whatever..., thanks for replying.

I think it came down to a majority and then a lead decision. Such a longggg time ago ....

Michael

Post #: 9
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 6:53:41 AM   
m10bob

I too was having this problem, and when "disbanding", got that message that I was losing the planes and the pilots..
I had not considered they were being transferred to Europe..
Makes sense..

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 10
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 3:13:58 PM   
Shark7

Is it then safe to assume that when I disband a Japanese formation the pilots and planes go back into the pool? After all, there is no other theatre for them to go to. I never really paid any attention to it before.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 11
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/16/2010 6:58:32 PM   
moonraker65

Any Squadrons that are due for withdrawal "Temporarily" have a magenta coloured return date I noticed. That gives you a clue as to whether it's withdraw or disband.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 12
RE: Am I the only one driven crazy by this? - 7/17/2010 1:01:20 AM   
offenseman

Great explanation, I had always wondered about that. TY Michael

Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Am I the only one driven crazy by this? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI