Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Two diaries, One destiny - Zsolo007 (J) vs. darbymcd (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Two diaries, One destiny - Zsolo007 (J) vs. darbymcd (A) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Two diaries, One destiny - Zsolo007 (J) vs. darbymcd (A) - 7/28/2010 10:03:54 AM   
gajdacs zsolt

This is an experimental AAR of the game between darbymcd and me as seen and experienced from the perspective of two leaders. A Navy Task Force leader, and an Army HQ leader. It is experimental, because I’ve never written an AAR before and I don’t really have writing experience. So this is going to be a test of my resolve, skill, and imagination. I’m going to try to convey the events of this war through the eyes of Tanaka Raizo RADM and Masaharu Homma LGEN. I’ll try to voice my inner concerns, fears and hopes through them and I’m hoping that I’ll be able to make this an interesting read.

Dear reader, you’ll rarely find detailed combat reports, or long list of facts here, or at least these won’t be apparent. Also, I’m not a native english speaker, so that’s an additional challenge for me, please bear with it. One more thing still: My knowledge of Japanese culture is rather limited, so don’t expect this AAR to be an authentic conveyor of those times.

I don’t expect much more than monologues here, since I’m writing diaries :), but the truth is I don’t where this will go. It depends on a lot of things, but first and foremost on YOU! :) Feedback and critique is very important to me, so if you have any don’t hold back.

A bit about me: This is my second PBEM, the first one is still ‘in the works’ :). I’m not very experienced, though I did play the original WITP, but only against the AI. Been playing this one ever since it came out…

I’m no military buff by the way so it’s entirely possible that I will write things that are completely unrealistic, please point these out for me if you see any ;).

About the game: It is not a usual one, we are playing on John 3rd’s Reluctant Admiral scenario…with a twist. I don’t want to reveal much as I want to convey the changes as the game unfolds, but in order to understand the context I will write this: The US is out of the war until 1/43.

But enough of the introduction and let’s get on with the AAR.
Post #: 1
RE: Two diaries, One destiny - Zsolo007 (J) vs. darbymc... - 7/28/2010 10:05:22 AM   
gajdacs zsolt

Prologue:

Tanaka Raizo RADM
1941/11/29

War. War had finally come. I’ve waited for this day for so long. I’m filled with joy as I look down from the bridge of Hiei. She is an old, but fine battleship….But this matters little! The Crew! What crew she has! There was great confusion a few hours ago as the order came in, but they understood it fast, it’s meaning sank into their minds and now they are one professional unit again. Their one and only goal is to prepare this ship for the long sail that is ahead of us, and for the war that is now inevitable. I must admit I got confused myself when I read the order from Admiral Yamamoto – a rather unusual move by the way as he is the naval minister, and Vice Admiral Matome Ugaki is the commander of Combined Fleet -. The order made it clear that the USA is not our main enemy. In fact every possible measure is to be taken in order to keep them out of the war.

The fleet’s been at anchorage for two days now at Etorofu. We were ordered here without explanation, we did not know whether this will be another of the now usual fleet exercises or something more. But there were rumours. Some very confusing. I must admit I found myself guessing many times as I was on the bridge during our journey from the Inland Sea. We left Kobe at the cover of darkness, in as much secrecy as it was possible for such a big ship. HQ only gave me 2 DDs – the ones present at Kobe at that time – and that bewildered me initially. But as we left the Yura straits other ships joined us: Heavy Cruisers Tone and Chikuma. At this point I knew something big was going on. Those ships only sail with our nation’s biggest carriers! This might not be a mere fleet exercise after all. The journey after this was rather dull and uneventful, beside one submarine warning, which turned out to correct, though it was one of our’s. The B1/B2 class I-21 was heading east out of Yokosuka harbour and was conducting an emergency dive exercise along the way. They sure freaked us out. Looking back I was actually grateful for this alarm, as it showed me how tense the crew was.

It didn’t take long for us to reach Etorofu. We arrived as the sun was setting on the horizon and the view it gave us was not something I will forget easily. Hitokappu Bay was filled with ships of every size! I counted all six of our fleet carriers, 3 battleships – the sister ships of Hiei -, 2 light cruisers of the new Agano class, about a dozen destroyers and fleet oilers too. There was great excitement on the bridge, indeed on all the ship as the crew discovered this. I was filled with pride and joy as I was beginning to understand the meaning of my rather secretive order that was given to me as I was rushed to Kobe. At this point I knew that some of these ships would be under my command soon.

But the goal was still unknown. And that troubled me, especially because I saw how stressed the crew was. Drills were being conducted almost continuously for two days….until the order came.

There was never anything solid about the war against America, but there were rumours within the ranks… It was taken for certain that they are our main enemy. Something seems to have changed in the last few weeks, but I do not know what. The order would not say. What it did say was that I’m to command a force of 3 BBs, 1 CL and 10 DDs and provide surface cover for Kido Butai as it was making a strike on Singapore. This concerns me a lot as the way is long there and there is every chance that an enemy ship or plane might spots as we make our way along the northern coast of Luzon and Borneo. My other concern is the Americans. I do not know what diplomatic manoeuvres are in the background, but I find it highly unlikely that they would just sit and watch as the British Far East crumbles. At any rate….I have my orders….and I hear the roaring of engines as more and more steam is fed to them, so no more time for silly words, no more place for uncertainty. I must do my very best for the Emperor.

Banzai!

(in reply to gajdacs zsolt)
Post #: 2
RE: Two diaries, One destiny - Zsolo007 (J) vs. darbymc... - 7/28/2010 10:08:24 AM   
gajdacs zsolt

Please, darbymcd do not read beyond this point if you stray into these parts of the forum. I do not know how much of my plans will I reveal.....so this story is not for you. At least not now :)

(in reply to gajdacs zsolt)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Two diaries, One destiny - Zsolo007 (J) vs. darbymcd (A) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI