Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Tips to building a trading empire

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> RE: Tips to building a trading empire Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tips to building a trading empire - 9/7/2010 4:17:51 AM   
Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Foraven

quote:

ORIGINAL: AminMaalouf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Merker
8. b) you can't colonize it: copy the design of your large space port, set it to mining base category, add 20-30 luxury resource and some mining resource components, then send a construction ship to build it at the planet. It's well worth it in the long run, and it's well protected that way.
If you have a rare resource and do things like this you will avoid conflicts quite easily, and make a LOT of money doing it. You will make a lot of friends really fast.
Merker out.

Does this still work after the patch?

I see the problem that the size of bases is restricted in early game.

It may also be that I have not checked the proposed procedure.

Cool post anyway, makes me love that gem of a game once again.

Bases are only restricted if they are not built at a colony, otherwise it can be as big as you want (but making them too big may not be wise, it will be expensive to maintain).

But.. Exactly, so if you try to build one at a planet you CANT colonize, it is limited in size, right?

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 31
RE: Tips to building a trading empire - 9/7/2010 4:36:08 AM   
torrenal

Yep. Colonists are amazing that way. Too bad they can't do the same thing with ships that the can do with bases.... (what I'd give to be able to build resupply ships without a size limit in the early game...)
//Torrenal

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 32
RE: Tips to building a trading empire - 9/7/2010 8:16:42 PM   
Baleur

But what are you talking about, how are they amazing if the base is limited?
Are you trying to say the bases are unlimited if they have a colony module?

(in reply to torrenal)
Post #: 33
RE: Tips to building a trading empire - 9/8/2010 2:02:24 AM   
torrenal

My previous post in this topic is a perfect example of why I need to limit multi-tasking....

I confused the context of at/not-at a colony. Colonists are amazing in that they can ignore the size limits...

What sucks is they can't ignore the limits for colony ships and the like, which means I can't gin one up into an uber-attack ship... And don't bother sticking a hyperdrive on a space-port... tried that too. :P

//Torrenal

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 34
RE: Tips to building a trading empire - 10/17/2010 4:59:28 PM   
Jeeves

Bump - excellent thread, especially the first post. After my first game I always went the trade empire route. I would add that you should keep a close eye on dilithium and gold in your expansion planner by galaxy priority. Those asteroids which are especially scenic can be mined with resort bases to produce huge income! Also check the galaxy for scenic locations as you explore, giving priority to colonizing ringed planets so that you can put a resort base on the colony.

(in reply to torrenal)
Post #: 35
RE: Tips to building a trading empire - 11/10/2010 7:40:10 PM   
Merker

I've updated the original post with 2 more points, 22 and 23, regarding fleet deployment.

Cheers

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 36
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> RE: Tips to building a trading empire Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI