Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: European Theatres of Operations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: European Theatres of Operations Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 9/15/2010 1:16:35 AM   
82ndtrooper

the Maginot line

as you can see my defenses have no depth

Attachment (1)

HHC 302nd Engineer Battalion
82nd Airborne Division
Honorably Discharged Jul/80

(in reply to 82ndtrooper)
Post #: 91
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 9/15/2010 1:17:39 AM   
82ndtrooper

the army I moved to England

Attachment (1)

82nd Airborne Division

Post #: 92
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 9/15/2010 1:20:40 AM   
82ndtrooper

and Scotland
I am moving the surviving dutch army up there to build a defensive force around.

Attachment (1)

82nd Airborne Division

Post #: 93
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 9/15/2010 1:55:02 AM   
82ndtrooper

I have finally upgraded my air-force to tech II and in north Africa I am starting to upgrade my planes. I found out that I am very close to having as many units there as I can supply since I can only produce enough supply to upgrade 2 or three planes a turn. So I will have to stop building anything but the most vital units.

The change Grumpy made to the price of the increase war footing cards is going to have a huge impact on the game and should really help the axis player take France much easier. In this game as the west I was able to increase my war footing to rapidly and make a much larger air-force than I should have been able too.
I have left Frances war footing at 57% and wont raise it until France is taken.
I will instead work on raising the neutrality of the USA.

I did make some air units that consisted of 3 spitfires and 3 hawker hurricanes each  and my results where much better. the hurricanes did not take such huge loses when combined with the spitfires.

The whole problem for the axis in France is that he did not realize how shallow my defenses really where and because of that he never really tried to make a breakthrough. He has brought up a lot of artillery and will eventually destroy me with that and I can not stop it. But it will be a whole year before he finally wins western Europe and that will have allowed me to make England impenetrable.

Plus the Belgians where surprisingly strong and had a lot of rivers to defend behind and he didn't seem to have enough engineers to bridge them and breakthrough. I know that I was surprised at their strength so i can imagine Bombur was shocked.

with low war footing the armies can defend well but they do not perform well at all attacking. Speed was important for the axis and I think if he had smashed into me without regard for losses he would have had France a couple months ago. Especially if he had done this when he had air supremacy.

I am just analyzing what has caused the axis such difficulties in taking France because this is a new scenario and a test game. Remember that both of us had no idea what was coming and I think that this fact made it harder on the attacker than it is on me as the defender.
once again the changes made to the war footing cards will make a big difference especially in the size of the west air-force. So i think that the slight increase in the hurricanes survivability coupled with the decrease in production will most likely be a good change.

< Message edited by 82ndtrooper -- 9/15/2010 1:57:00 AM >

82nd Airborne Division

Post #: 94
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 9/15/2010 5:00:14 PM   
GrumpyMel

Interesting results. I'm surprised France and the Low Countries held as well as it did. In both my test games France and the Low Countries fell within a few months...though not without a fight.

In my test game of the version you are playing, I had Paris by then end of Sept...In the test game of the updated version, I had it by end of July.

I think the key for the Germans in that Operation is to be agressive and make sure you have some forces with good mobility. Also, make the most you can of the first turn of invasion, when the Belgian and Dutch armies are on thier own...and haven't had a chance to adjust thier positions.

The Belgian Army looks very strong (and that was historicaly what they had mobilized at the time of the invasion) due to it's size...but when you realize the impact that it's low war footing has on it's fighting abilities coupled with the fact that about half of it is comprised of reservists (i.e. militia)... it's really much more of a paper tiger.

The Axis player should be able to over-run them pretty handily by concentrating his attacks on the key points (mostly bridges) he needs to take...and then getting mobile forces into those breaches to exploit.

However, if he's slow on the initiative and allows the Allies to blow the bridges and fortify on the river lines...with stronger French and British forces to back them up and shut-down any breaches... then the Belgians hadicaps are going to be minimized... and you could be looking at a replay of the Great War all over again.

Did the Axis try to attack through the Ardennes at all at Sedan? Or even through the Maginot?

Note: The changes I made definately should help the Axis take France more quickly. The War Footing costs will prevent the Allies from being able to build up thier defences and increase the combat efficiency of thier troops (as well as Producation Capacity) at the same time. The change to Winter should also help out quite a bit...as the lower readiness penalties means the Axis doesn't need to produce as much supply to feed thier large army through the Winter. Also it allows them to recover to full readiness more quickly in the Spring...meaning they can go over to the offensive earlier.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see the results of this in the game you are playing against Rufus and how they compare.

Post #: 95
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 9/16/2010 2:46:51 AM   
Bombur

The poor performance of the Germans is largely my fault. I failed to bring enough engineers and also to establish decisive air superiority. I almost panicked when the Allied tried an attack across the Maginot Line. I also started my attack latter (it was hard to recover from winter). Depending on the rules of USSR activation I will be in deep trouble next year. My idea is to conquer France after the winter and then reorganize my army and wait for the allied counteroffensive. I don´t think Barbarossa will be possible...)

(in reply to GrumpyMel)
Post #: 96
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 9/16/2010 4:07:50 AM   
82ndtrooper

in the air war there are three stages.
1. contested = where both sides are fighting for control.
2. air superiority = where one side has control but the other side can still do attacks but takes heavy losses to do it.
3. air supremacy = where one side is so powerful the other side doesn't dare send any attacks against it.

You had actually achieved air supremacy for about 4 turns. I had pulled the entire RAF out of France because you had smashed it. The problem is that I had raised englands war footing to 99% and was building nothing but planes. So i was able to rapidly replace my losses and I replaced them with spitfires.
then I sent them back and did that air trap on you over Belgium. I caught you doing a bombing raid and heavily damaged your bombers and killed a few fighters but you killed just as many of my fighters.  that air fight was every single plane I had including 10 fighters from my carriers. prior to that fight all that was in France was the newly made french gloster gladiators and you where destroying them as fast as i could make them.
In the latest version where the raise war footing cards are 75PP instead of 50pp  this wont happen. once Germany destroys the defending air-force the west wont be able to replace them so quickly.

Also on the political front the Allies are furious at the french for not moving forward to help defend Belgium. The french High command in their arrogance absolutely refused. They believe that they have the most powerful army in the world and that the Germans would never dare to actually attack France. The Belgium army command has asked England for Sanctuary because they refuse to help France and the RAF is tired of dying while the french sit drinking wine and eating cheese. It is believed that the French think that the Germans will stop and ask for peace once they have conquered the low countries.
In England Winston Churchill has become Prime Minister and his anger at France is apparent to all.

The turmoil in the French command is represented by De Gaul moving his army to England on the pretense of redeploying to North Africa to defend the French Colonies. It is very possible that France will soon find itself without Allies and a fractured army.

82nd Airborne Division

(in reply to Bombur)
Post #: 97
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 9/24/2010 5:08:37 PM   
82ndtrooper

its early march and nothing has really changed. the winter turns completely shut down the game for the most part. The Belgians have withdrawn to the UK and the RAF is only defending the west coast of France near the channel. The french Air force will have to defend the rest if it can.

The french High Command is starting to panic since the expected peace overtures from Germany have not come and the continued artillery bombardments against the french defensive lines are taking a large toll on the men.

82nd Airborne Division

Post #: 98
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 9/24/2010 5:24:02 PM   
82ndtrooper

grumpy
A unit that would be nice to see in this scenario is the armored train. maybe let it carry 10 and have a few more hit points with greater range but no transcap. It wouldn't need any combat values of its own it could just use the units it was carrying.
I believe all European countries in WWII used them including Germany and giving the large scope of this map they would come in very handy to help keep supply lines open.

82nd Airborne Division

Post #: 99
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 10/1/2010 7:04:17 PM   
82ndtrooper

not much has changed . massive artillery units hammer the french lines but no break through yet

Attachment (1)

82nd Airborne Division

Post #: 100
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 10/1/2010 7:05:07 PM   
82ndtrooper

when the attack comes I expect a fast collapse.

Attachment (1)

82nd Airborne Division

Post #: 101
RE: European Theatres of Operations - 10/5/2010 10:42:23 AM   
82ndtrooper

By Mutual consent we have decided to end this game.

The reasons are that the west has become to powerful to fast and its because the raise war footing cards where priced so low. the was an unfair advantage and made it really hard on the German player.

We are checking with grumpy to see if he has a newer version ready for release and we will start over and test that version.

Thanks for reading the AAR and we will start a new one as soon as we get a new test game going.

82nd Airborne Division

Post #: 102
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: European Theatres of Operations Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI