Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What Language is used to program Distant Worlds?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/8/2010 11:41:41 PM   
tornnight

C++, C, C#. Some combination?
Post #: 1
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/9/2010 7:18:54 AM   
impact

It is VB if I am not mistaken.

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 2
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/10/2010 1:59:47 AM   
tornnight

Really? I find that hard to believe.

(in reply to impact)
Post #: 3
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/10/2010 2:25:06 AM   
impact

When DW came out, I had a critical error once. I think I saw a bit of VB stuff in the call stack.
Either way, it doesn't really matter - .NET is .NET. So if you use VB or C# or whatever doesn't really make a difference. It all results in CIL/CLR anyway.

(in reply to tornnight)
Post #: 4
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/10/2010 5:44:23 AM   
Wade1000

I wish I spoke Greek... and Mandarin.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to impact)
Post #: 5
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/10/2010 5:54:49 PM   
Wenla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

I wish I spoke Greek...

This is one of my hobbies. A great reason to visit at Greece every year...

Before you can define your strategy, you have to have a vision

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 6
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/11/2010 5:51:22 AM   
Wade1000

Cool. That seems fun. I want to visit there too.

Also, in parts of the USA a person might use the term "Greek" to refer to some topic of conversation that is totally unknown to the listener.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Wenla)
Post #: 7
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/11/2010 6:31:33 AM   
impact

There you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework#Architecture

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 8
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/11/2010 6:44:36 AM   
Wade1000

Thanks. When I'm more energized I'll browse through it and make sense of it and hope that I can have some use for it or that it will broaden my paths of thinking.

(in reply to impact)
Post #: 9
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/11/2010 7:34:29 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: impact
When DW came out, I had a critical error once. I think I saw a bit of VB stuff in the call stack.

If I am not mistaken, that doesn't necessarily mean that the entire program is written in VB though... would be interesting to hear from the developer.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 8/11/2010 7:35:17 AM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to impact)
Post #: 10
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/11/2010 2:16:07 PM   
Wenla

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

Also, in parts of the USA a person might use the term "Greek" to refer to some topic of conversation that is totally unknown to the listener.

Over here in Finland we say in that case that "It is Hebrew for me".

Before you can define your strategy, you have to have a vision

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 11
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/11/2010 2:39:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

For those who are curious, DW was developed with C# in Visual Studio 2005. The external dependencies include Media Player and DirectX.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Wenla)
Post #: 12
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/11/2010 8:24:08 PM   
taltamir

thanks erik, that answers that one then :)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 13
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/11/2010 8:34:31 PM   
scotten_usa

Real programmers use COBOL!!

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 14
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/11/2010 8:51:27 PM   
taltamir

(in reply to scotten_usa)
Post #: 15
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/12/2010 2:20:16 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

Actually real programmers usually end up fixing the mess some guy before them made.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 16
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/12/2010 3:06:32 PM   
michaelm75au

Too true 

Michael

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 17
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/17/2010 6:30:29 AM   
the1sean

LOL, and real programmers hate quality assurance testers

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 18
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/17/2010 9:30:15 PM   
JonBrave

quote:

ORIGINAL: impact

Either way, it doesn't really matter - .NET is .NET. So if you use VB or C# or whatever doesn't really make a difference. It all results in CIL/CLR anyway.

Whilst it's true that the end code all ends up as CIL/CLR, I don't agree at all with your assertion that the source langauge "doesn't really matter".

(in reply to impact)
Post #: 19
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/18/2010 12:04:32 PM   
Kumppi

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonBrave

Whilst it's true that the end code all ends up as CIL/CLR, I don't agree at all with your assertion that the source langauge "doesn't really matter".

It doesn't really matter. C# and VB.NET produce the same IL code which in turn is compiled to native processor instructions by the just-in-time compiler when run.

(in reply to JonBrave)
Post #: 20
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/18/2010 12:14:08 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kumppi

quote:

It doesn't really matter. C# and VB.NET produce the same IL code which in turn is compiled to native processor instructions by the just-in-time compiler when run.

no, they produce different code in the same IL which is then compiled to different instructions using the same instruction set of the processor by the just-in-time compiler.
there is a huge difference between "same language" and "same code".

heck, you get different bytecode just by switching the compiler (on the same exact C code). Compilers aren't magic or perfect.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 8/18/2010 12:15:04 PM >

(in reply to Kumppi)
Post #: 21
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/18/2010 1:11:10 PM   
Kumppi

quote:

quote:

no, they produce different code in the same IL which is then compiled to different instructions using the same instruction set of the processor by the just-in-time compiler.

heck, you get different bytecode just by switching the compiler (on the same exact C code). Compilers aren't magic or perfect.

There are only slight differences between the IL code outputted by the C# and VB.NET compilers. The whole point for creating IL code is that it is platform neutral unlike C/C++ compilers which compile straight to specific platforms.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 22
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/18/2010 7:47:13 PM   
JonBrave

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are only slight differences between the IL code outputted by the C# and VB.NET compilers. The whole point for creating IL code is that it is platform neutral unlike C/C++ compilers which compile straight to specific platforms.

I don't mean to be rude, but I am totally with taltamir and not agreeing with you or impact. The issues of the IL code are neither here nor there. To say that because two source programming languages happen to produce similar IL code means that "doesn't really make a difference" which one you use is just....

Heck, at the end of that day, every single programming language that has ever been invented ends up having to produce something which runs natively on the target, by definition, whether it is compiled or there is an interpreter (Turing machine, anyone?). That's the equivalent of common IL, but to extrapolate from that you could say it doesn't matter whether you program in assembler/COBOL/C/Prolog. But it most certainly does, because different languages are better suited to quite different tasks. F#.NET will also produce IL like VB/C#.NET, but I don't think you'll find the progammers would have chosen that...

If you looked at Distant World's code, I would guarantee that 1%(-ish) has much to do with the machine/OS/IL/.NET, while 99% will be logic and how you approach it, how you use the language to achieve your goals.

< Message edited by JonBrave -- 8/18/2010 8:13:30 PM >

(in reply to Kumppi)
Post #: 23
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/19/2010 9:49:53 AM   
Kumppi

quote:

quote:

I don't mean to be rude, but I am totally with taltamir and not agreeing with you or impact. The issues of the IL code are neither here nor there. To say that because two source programming languages happen to produce similar IL code means that "doesn't really make a difference" which one you use is just....

Heck, at the end of that day, every single programming language that has ever been invented ends up having to produce something which runs natively on the target, by definition, whether it is compiled or there is an interpreter (Turing machine, anyone?). That's the equivalent of common IL, but to extrapolate from that you could say it doesn't matter whether you program in assembler/COBOL/C/Prolog. But it most certainly does, because different languages are better suited to quite different tasks. F#.NET will also produce IL like VB/C#.NET, but I don't think you'll find the progammers would have chosen that...

If you looked at Distant World's code, I would guarantee that 1%(-ish) has much to do with the machine/OS/IL/.NET, while 99% will be logic and how you approach it, how you use the language to achieve your goals.

At no point did I say that it doesn't make a difference if you use assembler/COBOL/C or prolog or ruby or php or whatever. What I said was that when run under the CLR the code produced by C# or VB.NET compilers when considering PERFORMANCE makes no difference.

So let me reiterate. When you target CLR it doesn't really make a difference if you choose C# or VB.NET. The only thing that matters is which language is better suited to do the task and most obviously which one you know.

(in reply to JonBrave)
Post #: 24
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/19/2010 11:05:42 AM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

quote:

At no point did I say that it doesn't make a difference if you use assembler/COBOL/C or prolog or ruby or php or whatever. What I said was that when run under the CLR the code produced by C# or VB.NET compilers when considering PERFORMANCE makes no difference.

So let me reiterate. When you target CLR it doesn't really make a difference if you choose C# or VB.NET. The only thing that matters is which language is better suited to do the task and most obviously which one you know.

and again, that is wrong. Performance is greatly impacted... not only that, a different compiler using the exact same CODE in the exact same language impacts performance.

A quick google for compiler benchmarks: http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml
the results for different sample programs:
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p6
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p7
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p8
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p9
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p10

And all of them show MASSIVE differences between different compilers for the exact same code...

example, in the first example (C code program), normalized values for P4 performance (they used more then one P4 model to test it) is 1.01 for best compiler and 1.85 for worst. thats huge, nearly twice as fast. Also exe sizes vastly differ.
example, 3.6 GHz P4-Xeon 1MB L3... best runtime is 67.50 seconds, worst is 129.57 seconds.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 8/19/2010 11:07:38 AM >

(in reply to Kumppi)
Post #: 25
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/19/2010 11:47:20 AM   
Kumppi

quote:

quote:

and again, that is wrong. Performance is greatly impacted... not only that, a different compiler using the exact same CODE in the exact same language impacts performance.

A quick google for compiler benchmarks: http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml
the results for different sample programs:
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p6
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p7
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p8
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p9
http://www.willus.com/ccomp_benchmark.shtml?p10

And all of them show MASSIVE differences between different compilers for the exact same code...

example, in the first example (C code program), normalized values for P4 performance (they used more then one P4 model to test it) is 1.01 for best compiler and 1.85 for worst. thats huge, nearly twice as fast. Also exe sizes vastly differ.
example, 3.6 GHz P4-Xeon 1MB L3... best runtime is 67.50 seconds, worst is 129.57 seconds.

Oh boy. I am not talking about C/C++ code here, but code which is run UNDER CLR written in C# or VB.NET. I know very well that C or C++ code performance is impacted by the choice of compiler, but C/C++ code is not run UNDER CLR. VB.NET code vs. C# code compiled with VS 2005 is equal performance wise.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 26
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/19/2010 12:34:50 PM   
taltamir

Firstly, I would like to apologize, I am not familiar with VB.NET specifically and just went with a generic "all languages and compilers provide different performance results"... however I didn't realize how closely related VB.NET and C# are to each other, nor did I realize that you meant to compile both using the same related compiler (VS2005) and that the claim to identical performance was only for code in those 2 specific languages, while accepting that in general different languages have different performance metrics... This drastically alters the nature of the discussion.

that being said, "the same compiler" (VS2005) still has to use different code to compile different languages, and those are different languages (thus code will always be somewhat different), and they SHOULD still have differing performance despite their similarity, and sharing of compiler.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/CLR_diag.svg
See the part where there is a C# compiler (which converts C# code to CIL) and a VB.NET compiler (which converts VB.NET code to CIL)? that is where the performance delta would be introduced, since they are bound to be different (perfection doesn't exist; and even if those were perfect compilers, the language differences come into play)

A quick google search found something interesting about that:

quote:

C# code might run slightly faster in a few circumstances; for example, the C# compilter generates code
that reclaims the memory used by objects more aggressively than under Visual Basic. However, most of the
time the difference in the performance won't be greater than 5 percent, so it's hardly an argument for
selecting one language over the other.

from Programming Microsoft Visual Basic.Net http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Microsoft-Visual-Basic-Reference/dp/0735613753

quote taken from this discussion: http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=169894
which also indicates a performance delta between VB.NET and C#.

There is a decisive lack of performance benchmark comparisons of those two specific languages when using VS2005. I found a benchmark showing VB6 to outperform VB.NET by 81%, I found the benchmarks I posted in a previous thread, but aside from that one discussion (which DOES show a difference between VB.NET and C#) I am not finding all that much evidence either way.

What I am saying is:
1. different languages are known to produce different performance.
2. different compilers are known to produce different performance.
3. VS2005 still has to use a different compiler for VB.NET and C# code.
4. There is no reason or explanation why those two languages are an exception to said rule.
5. I actually found a benchmark supporting my claim.
6. I actually found that a book about programming in said language gives a technical reason for a performance delta between the two.

PS. If, for some reason, you had identical bytecode (CIL) produced by a VB.NET and a C# program, the fact that they share the CLR will indeed result in same native code and same performanc... however, the problem is in that IF... C# and VB.NET do NOT produce identical bytecode (CIL code) because they are different languages and use different compilers.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 8/19/2010 12:47:10 PM >

(in reply to Kumppi)
Post #: 27
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/19/2010 1:06:55 PM   
Kumppi

quote:

that being said, "the same compiler" (VS2005) still has to use different code to compile different languages, and those are different languages (thus code will always be somewhat different), and they SHOULD still have differing performance despite their similarity, and sharing of compiler.

The consensus between C# and VB.NET is that the performance differences (usually more to do with the fact that the coder knows other language better) is so small that it doesn't make a difference. If you are writing software which must squeeze everything out of the system then you shouldn't use NET at all, but in many cases it's productivity that is the deciding factor and there NET shines.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 28
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/19/2010 2:09:03 PM   
taltamir

quote:

quote:

The consensus between C# and VB.NET is that the performance differences (usually more to do with the fact that the coder knows other language better) is so small that it doesn't make a difference. If you are writing software which must squeeze everything out of the system then you shouldn't use NET at all, but in many cases it's productivity that is the deciding factor and there NET shines.

fair enough, but that "so small as it doesn't matter" is supposedly 5% according the book I linked. And 5% performance difference is not "identical".

(in reply to Kumppi)
Post #: 29
RE: What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? - 8/20/2010 1:18:04 AM   
Chet Guiles

It's all Old High Klingon to me.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> What Language is used to program Distant Worlds? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI