Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 - 8/17/2010 5:28:53 PM   
Spacecadet

I have a long game going (~100 years so far) and it looks like I'm starting to get some odd things happening.

First, I've got three Pirate Flag markers that don't want to go away. There are no Pirates at these locations but the Flag remains, and it's been at least four game years since the original Pirates were taken out.

I need to reconfirm this next item but after recently ending a war, when I go to my Colonies screen most of my Colonies are now just content (not happy). Before this war all of my Colonies were happy. There may be something else going on here, it just seems odd that this has just cropped up after the Pirate Flag issue started.

Post #: 1
RE: Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 - 8/17/2010 8:29:34 PM   
WoodMan

Upload your save game dude  Things shown in uploaded saves usually get fixed next update

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 2
RE: Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 - 8/18/2010 12:23:24 AM   
vonboy

about the populations anger, war causes war weariness, which makes everyone in your empire angry over time. it's probably that.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 3
RE: Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 - 8/18/2010 2:34:19 AM   
torrenal

In my current game, a recent spat of wars (Other guy picks fight, I take over all his colonies, end of war) seems to have trashed my rep, and I've had some colonies split off...  Not sure where my rep went (from 12+ to -49...), and i'm wondering if I accidentally let the planet-destroyers do some planet-destroying... (retrofitting them now to remove that pesky laser attachment, and fix their energy use), or if it was just the long series of captured planets. //Torrenal

(in reply to vonboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 - 8/18/2010 2:51:36 AM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonboy

about the populations anger, war causes war weariness, which makes everyone in your empire angry over time. it's probably that.

I thought that too initially (actually that's why I stopped the war), but even after a couple years of peace they still weren't happy.

The Pirate Flags finally disappeared (ten years after the fact). Happened right about the time I got Pearl Harbored by one of the AI. They (Cats) started taking planets while I was at war with another empire (Sluks). They (Cats) never declared war, just starting taking planets left and right - I didn't know they could do that without declaring war It's not an Alliance thing, there are none. In fact, I don't thing they're (Cats) on good terms with the Sluks either.

This particular Galaxy just got ugly

(in reply to vonboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 - 8/18/2010 4:11:47 AM   
torrenal

Find some pirate bases, blow them up. Brings your rep up. Colonies like a good rep. They also like hospitals/rec facilities, be sure you have those on your space-ports. My rep actually rose from -49 to zero in ~ 10 bases -- going above that probably takes longer, but I have people offering trade agreements again :)

Do well enough, happy wise, and random colonies will even shuck off their leaders and throw in their lot with yours.... As to your woes, lets have a peek at one of my happier colonies:

Lesee.... Securans give higher happieness... don't suppose racial makeup changed that much... High level of development (did your colony back-slide in the war?) Garden of Arcadia.... lose any planets in the war? recreational and medical facilities.... did you lose a lot of ports? Proud of the good rep... (Blow up any fun targets with the devastation moon?) Then you have the two immutables, death an taxes... (ahem, wars and taxes).

Looking at a less-happy planet, there are a couple other lines to worry over... Wekkaruss are upset.... Warring against a particular species seems to be unpopular with that species... And... urk: We are in awe of nearby colonies of other empires.... That last can be a problem. But unless you look at the colony population screen, you'll never see what's wrong with a planet. For this planet, it appears to be jealous of a fully developed planet in the same system. This one will develop quickly, so the problem won't last for long (ah look, a shipment of Vodkol is on the way... problem solved).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by torrenal -- 8/18/2010 4:12:09 AM >

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 6
RE: Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 - 8/18/2010 4:57:08 AM   
Spacecadet

Sheesh.

I was so side tracked by getting Pearl Harbored that I forgot to mention what else I found

I looked at my resource list and noticed that some of my luxuries were near zero. I checked the Planets that were the source of one of these particular luxuries and there were a lot of Freighters sitting idle around the Spaceport, but none of them were docking to load up. Looking at the Spaceport it looks like it may have been full, so there was no more room for the luxury resource to be loaded onboard.

In short, I believe the issue is that the Spaceports are getting full so they can no longer process resources.

This happened before in earlier versions to Mines, but I didn't think about it happening to Spaceports. I'll have to look into this more, but I think this is what has happened, Rep is not the issue as it's okay.

(in reply to torrenal)
Post #: 7
RE: Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 - 8/18/2010 9:06:46 AM   
Bingeling

I have not seen this myself, but is it a matter of freighters waiting for full cargo of something, while the station/port's cargo is full of other resources, so they can not refill what is missing for the freighters?

So a good old fashioned deadlock?

I did not think this was a game to replace Transport Tychoon Deluxe

Nor can I think of any way to solve it once and for all, as no matter how much storage and docking bays, it can still theoretically happen.

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 8
RE: Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 - 8/19/2010 2:11:07 AM   
torrenal

At some point (on topic 4 or 6 or such), the flag needs to go up...

That done, lets continue... <Speculation Mode=ON, HIGH> If I follow correctly, the game works on 2 mechanics for distributing supplies:
  • Demand supplying -- Port xyz needs 123 of ABC. A ship is dispatched to deliver some from a nearby source -- The range searched for the supply is limited by how far the ship can travel. Further, closer sources may be considered before distant sources
  • Supply supplying -- Port xyz has surplus of ABC. A ship is dispatched to deliver some to a nearby port that has less of this resource. Again, distances are limited by how far the ship can travel.
Other observations: Space Ports cargo appears identical to the cargo for the same planet. This implies the two are pooled.

If a planet with a resource is out in the back of beyond (as were 3 of my 4 special resource planets in my last game), ships will find them too far to travel to and will not bother. Supply at the port won't matter in filling the demand half of the process, all I can hope for is that surplus finds itself moved to other ports timely enough for me to make money on it (not that I saw any of that happening, but I had hopes). </Speculation Mode>

Trying to get back on the original topic, I have noticed that pirate ships will flee a base I kill, and join other pirates clans... it is possible... <Speculation Mode=ON, LOW> ...that the pirate base marker on the map (the flag) does not go away until the pirate clan is flushed from the game, and that includes all pirate ships either being reassigned or destroyed. It's possible this reassignment process only happens when a new pirate base is spawned onto the map, so if you kill 2 pirate bases in a row and no pirates spawn (which I think might happen when a pirate base joins your empire...), and you miss those pirates as get away, the flags may remain on the map until you hunt down one more base. </Speculation Mode> I am sure that testing this is possible, but may not be the easiest of things (helps having a galaxy-covering sensor-net to spot all pirate bases). //Torrenal

< Message edited by torrenal -- 8/19/2010 2:12:21 AM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Perpetual Pirate Flags - 1.0.6 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI