Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

I appreciate DW much more now.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> I appreciate DW much more now. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/21/2010 3:51:37 PM   
Baleur

lol my god, after trying Star Ruler i truly appreciate Distant Worlds far more now.
I'll admit i didnt like this game at all at release, but at least it was a game, it had options, it was massive, it merely had bugs.
But that game, wow. Nothing, its like a demo, a tech demo with nothing more than a galaxy size slider. No empires no races no planet variation, nothing.

Well I didnt start this thread to rant about another game, just to say how good it felt to boot up DW again after that, and realizing what an amazing game it is.
Keep up the good work, you didnt deserve the rants i gave at release.

< Message edited by Baleur -- 8/21/2010 3:52:24 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/21/2010 4:17:43 PM   
Bartje

Hehehe, Nice of you to post that for us :)

As for your rants, There is nothing wrong with admitting a game doesn't live up to your expectations.
I personally expect DW to become even better with it's expansion as well as StarRuler to massively improve as it gets patched.

I think developers should be held to high standards, how else will they produce things of quality like DW?
The DW devs have certainly lived up to this standard by providing constant support, I expect no different from other indie companies.

< Message edited by Bartje -- 8/21/2010 4:18:59 PM >

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 2
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/21/2010 4:29:59 PM   
tornnight

Yes I purchased Star Ruler and I echo that it is still very basic.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 3
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/21/2010 4:39:15 PM   
adecoy95

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

lol my god, after trying Star Ruler i truly appreciate Distant Worlds far more now.
I'll admit i didnt like this game at all at release, but at least it was a game, it had options, it was massive, it merely had bugs.
But that game, wow. Nothing, its like a demo, a tech demo with nothing more than a galaxy size slider. No empires no races no planet variation, nothing.

Well I didnt start this thread to rant about another game, just to say how good it felt to boot up DW again after that, and realizing what an amazing game it is.

yea, i could tell star ruler was sucky from watching the live streams, it was crashing even for them... battle of the triangles lol

they are using the oldest excuse in the book too, "we will implement _____ after release...." yea ok, i can understand things like modding support, but when they say things like... refueling from planets not in yet, currently cannot click directly on stars, and races not selectable (!!!)... yea, unfinished game is unfinished.

plus you cannot play multiplayer right now if your friend bought from a different provider, apparently all 3 of the digital distributors got different versions of the game

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 8/21/2010 4:42:42 PM >

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 4
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/21/2010 4:49:52 PM   
Baleur

Indeed. And there will always be people who whine like 14 year olds about how you should "give the game a chance, its just released".
But the fact still remains, we arent obligated to give anything that costs money a "chance". If it was free, sure.

But when a product that you pay for fails to deliver on your most basic expectations, you have every right to be harsh on it.
If we stop to expect quality, then things will never progress. Its a good thing that the standards have been raised so high these days, and frankly if something can't keep up, its not the customers fault.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 5
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/21/2010 4:59:32 PM   
adecoy95

quote:

Indeed. And there will always be people who whine like 14 year olds about how you should "give the game a chance, its just released".
But the fact still remains, we arent obligated to give anything that costs money a "chance". If it was free, sure.

But when a product that you pay for fails to deliver on your most basic expectations, you have every right to be harsh on it.
If we stop to expect quality, then things will never progress. Its a good thing that the standards have been raised so high these days, and frankly if something can't keep up, its not the customers fault.

exactly, besides, fixing a game after release is a self fulfilling prophecy, you release a buggy game, pissed off customers tell their friends to stay away, game does not sell well, no patches are released because it dident sell well.

i personally barely ever buy a game on the expectation of mystical future patches, i buy what i see (or play in the instance of a demo)

at least for those of you that spent your money on hopes only had to throw down $20

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 8/21/2010 5:01:03 PM >

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 6
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/21/2010 5:22:54 PM   
2guncohen

quote:

And dont forget you have some nice mods to spice upp the game

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 7
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/21/2010 6:04:06 PM   
Bartje

It is true that when you buy a product you are entitled to have expectations of its performance. These are even legally binding to the producer in a certain sense. (Developers are obligated to patch software by EU law for example because their product isn't what they promised the customer before he bought it)

In this instance however the developers of StarRuler gave ample indication that the game would be released in an unfinished state. They also indicated that they would continually support the game. (A legally binding commitment because customers may buy their product because of this pledge, that it would one day be finished and properly working with the features promised)

I consider it an investment, much like I consider DW an investment when it was first released. (and it has since come a very far way! )

I can't wait for the DW expansion BTW! When are Erik or Elliot going to tell us what's in it?!

< Message edited by Bartje -- 8/21/2010 6:05:17 PM >

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 8
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/21/2010 6:18:28 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bartje
I consider it an investment...

Likewise to some extent, and at least the price was reasonable. However, I must admit I wasn't expecting what, in all honesty, seems barely more than an alpha build and I fear SR will be so hammered by reviews (which, quite rightly, deal with what's there, not what might be there in future) it won't sell enough copies to support that further development.

I think I'll just put this one aside for a few months and see what happens.

(in reply to Bartje)
Post #: 9
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/21/2010 6:22:18 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

I think I'll just put this one aside for a few months and see what happens.

I'm going to wait and see for a few months before I consider buying. It's not so much the money (it is a very cheap price), it's the time I would have to invest in the game.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 10
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/22/2010 10:01:16 PM   
JosEPhII

I'll be the contraryist here.

I'm not currently playing DW. The End game is my problem with it currently.

I am playing SR. It carries the same potential as DW has. If the Blind Mind supports it like Elliotg and Erik have DW it will have it's place in the 4X RTS game genre.

These 2 game have different approaches. DW IMHO is more of a RTS souped up SEV. While SR is in the SoTS/Homeworld style.

I've supported both by purchasing their respective products. I do dislike naysayers who squawk over a product after 1 days introduction. That's how you destroy a Genre. Can anyone say MoO3? (And it IS a good game even today).

Ppl gripe about spending $20 on a product like SR but wouldn't hesitate to drop $20 on a Movie at the threatre with the wife/girlfriend and the movie wasn't so hot after all! It's all a matter of perspective.

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 11
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/22/2010 10:50:18 PM   
drillerman

I was a beta tester for Star ruler and gave some, albeit a small amount of input to the game back in May/June. The thing I was most disappointed with was that some of the most basic bugs and features suggested that was taken on board at the time were not implemented.
Three examples:
1. A random seeding button to generate more seed numbers.
2. When a ship is built it should orbit the planet it was built around, not drift off into space.
3. Disappearing ships when zoomed in too close.

I still have an old beta copy and the release copy and while I am sure things under the hood have been addressed, my initial reaction was that there did not seem much difference between then and now on the most basic level.

Huh?

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 12
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 2:33:19 AM   
Simulation01

The facts are that PC gaming is dying.  The large developers are going the way of the Dinosaurs.  We will no longer be able to demand video and depth.  We will be forced to choose between video and depth, but will rarely get both.  This is occurring because of the improving quality of consoles, high PC prices, pirating and rights destroying DRM.  There are some developers that I can't stand and who deserve to be pirated...like EA ( Will Wright and that pile of fecal matter known as Spore, though why anyone would want to pirate Spore is beyond me ).

I chose to buy Distant Worlds because of the concepts introduced and I will buy Star Ruler tomorrow for the same reasons.  I want to support talented people and fan loving developers when I see them obviously trying to provide a quality product to a niche market. 

Also, from what I've read on the forums, and this came from the developers, Star Ruler is already making enough money to sustain development:

http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/376195/page/5/#2721022

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 13
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 4:10:03 AM   
JosEPhII

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

I was a beta tester for Star ruler and gave some, albeit a small amount of input to the game back in May/June. The thing I was most disappointed with was that some of the most basic bugs and features suggested that was taken on board at the time were not implemented.
Three examples:
1. A random seeding button to generate more seed numbers.
2. When a ship is built it should orbit the planet it was built around, not drift off into space.
3. Disappearing ships when zoomed in too close.

I still have an old beta copy and the release copy and while I am sure things under the hood have been addressed, my initial reaction was that there did not seem much difference between then and now on the most basic level.

Don't know nuthin' about seeding #1.

But for #2 my ships haven't floated off. They stay close to the planet that built them.

As for #3 zooming it can stand some more refining.

Apparently someone has already put out a Pirated version.

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 14
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 5:40:37 AM   
Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

Apparently someone has already put out a Pirated version.

JosEPh

If it can save someone their money for a product not worth it..

And the thing about the game being a work in progress, well, the point is.. The game is published and launched as a full game, like any other, like Distant Worlds, like Galciv2, like Bad Company 2. When any customer goes to buy the game, either in a store or online, its displayed just as any other game.
The ONLY way to realize that it isnt even supposed to be a full complete game, is if you google your way to their obscure dusty forums and read a bunch of month old topics....

That is NOT a binding pledge or justification for releasing an alpha-state game. Period.
If they named the game, straight on the box, Star Ruler Alpha-01, then it'd be a fair deal with the customers knowing fully well what they pay for.
But then they'd also get next to no sales, as opposed to the sales they get / will get on impulse, d2d, etc by people like me who foolishly assumed it was an actual Game.

What would happen if a new car was advertised and sold to people on the waiting list, with the slight unspoken detail that the actual engine, transmission and interior would be "finished later on", to be discovered upon delivery of said car?
Hey, if anti-piracy ads can compare downloading a game to stealing a car, i can compare selling an unfinished car to selling an unfinished game, without advertising it as such.

< Message edited by Baleur -- 8/23/2010 5:44:43 AM >

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 15
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 6:07:07 AM   
Warspite3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

The facts are that PC gaming is dying.  The large developers are going the way of the Dinosaurs.  We will no longer be able to demand video and depth.  We will be forced to choose between video and depth, but will rarely get both.  This is occurring because of the improving quality of consoles, high PC prices, pirating and rights destroying DRM.  There are some developers that I can't stand and who deserve to be pirated...like EA ( Will Wright and that pile of fecal matter known as Spore, though why anyone would want to pirate Spore is beyond me ).

I chose to buy Distant Worlds because of the concepts introduced and I will buy Star Ruler tomorrow for the same reasons.  I want to support talented people and fan loving developers when I see them obviously trying to provide a quality product to a niche market. 

Also, from what I've read on the forums, and this came from the developers, Star Ruler is already making enough money to sustain development:

Facts? Where are you getting facts that PC gaming is dying? Many lead people in the gaming industry (including Sid Meier) already confirmed this is in fact NOT the case. I don't know why some people still continue to state this and its simple not true. I mean seriously, Starcraft II was just released, Civ5 is around the corner, shipsim xtremes is due out in 5 days, digital distribution sales are sky rocketing! What IS dying is... the days of going to a store and buying a PC game. This is not a bad thing, I love the digital now for many reasons. No more worrying about a box with no room to put it, no more worrying about hunting for a CD that eventually ends up scratched. It feels good to be able to pick my game and play it without having the CD in the drive. If I restore my computer, I loadup steam or any of the other sites, all my games are right there to download. Then on top of this, no more hunting the net for the latest patches. You download the game and its up to date. I am all for digital distribution now. So this is the direction PC gaming is heading. PC games are becoming scarse in stores because it is more efficient to download them online now and most people are doing this. Another thing, so many times in the past I remember calling all the Gamestops in my area only to find out they are out of stock on a game I wanted. Then having to drive an hour or more away just to get it.

-Warspite3-

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 16
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 6:11:40 AM   
Shark7

quote:

I am playing SR. It carries the same potential as DW has. If the Blind Mind supports it like Elliotg and Erik have DW it will have it's place in the 4X RTS game genre.

These 2 game have different approaches. DW IMHO is more of a RTS souped up SEV. While SR is in the SoTS/Homeworld style.

I've supported both by purchasing their respective products. I do dislike naysayers who squawk over a product after 1 days introduction. That's how you destroy a Genre. Can anyone say MoO3? (And it IS a good game even today).

Ppl gripe about spending $20 on a product like SR but wouldn't hesitate to drop $20 on a Movie at the threatre with the wife/girlfriend and the movie wasn't so hot after all! It's all a matter of perspective.

JosEPh

Actually, yes, once the modding community got ahold of MoO3 and fixed the few things that did need fixing in a bad way, the game is actually quite satisfying. The thing is, the developer/producer should have fixed those issues, instead of the community having to to it.

Distant Worlds did get off to a slightly rocky start...however, Erik and Elliotg have done an outstanding job of getting the patches out in a more than timely fashion to fix the bugs. On top of that, Elliotg has gone the extra mile of tweaking the game based on suggestions from the players and added content we have asked for. As far as customer service goes, DW is 5 star quality IMO.

Oh and just FYI, I haven't been to a movie at a theatre in about 15 years now, I refuse to drop $20 for the utter crap Hollywood produces these days. $20 is far better spent on a good steak dinner...at least it is satisfying.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 17
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 6:25:10 AM   
Warspite3

quote:

JosEPh

I agree here. Although I have not purchased SR yet, still only a $20 price tag on impulse until tomorrow seems like a good deal. My friend bought it yesterday and he loves it. I've been on that forum over at BM (and also penny arcade) and those developers seem very dedicated to that game. Not to mention the fans are posting some positive remarks. Not sure how it will compare to DW but seems different enough for me to buy it, maybe before the night ends I will take advantage of the impulse pre-order. I have not played DW in a while. may play for a little bit now. As I said way back during the release of DW, many times I still prefer Armada to a lot of these games, especially since the latest patch. This said, I usually buy all the 4x space games that come out. So far that has been the best thing since I actually play all of them. I find little things here and there that I like about them all overall. Heck I still find the depth of SE5 interesting, I still like the flow of DW, I still love Armada, I still find Sins pretty and exciting as heck, I still like the naval feel to SotS, I still find GalCiv2 the overall best space strategy.... and it goes on as time does

-Warspite3-

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 18
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 8:54:37 AM   
feygan

To say that piracy can hurt indy games couldn't be more wrong, most indy games are run on shoestring budgets and so don't have demos or months of upcoming videos and screenshots, nor weeks of pre release previews as they simply cannot afford them. This leaves potential customers with only one option, buy the game and risk wasting money on a bad product, or pirate the game then see what they think.

Since to start with anyone that pirates anything be it film, music or software because they just don't like paying is never going to buy a product anyway so you cannot include such a person in lost sales numbers they will either get your product for free or they just will live without your product either way its not dollars in the producers pocket. Also you only need to look at IGN or gamespot and see a trove of totally appalling game releases full of bugs or shoddy gameplay and all of these will be major titles produced by large "blockbusting" companies, spore being a great example from one of the top 5 in the industry.

When as a consumer you can't even trust a highly experienced multi staffed billion dollar firm to get a game right after 2-3 years of development it becomes hard to see how a one man show can do the same in half the time for a tenth of the budget. This is where piracy for the good of a product comes in, I freely admit that up until 1.04 of DW I was using a pirated product, and did so without any feelings of guilt. Had I bought the game at the beginning and had it turned out that the devs had not patched the game to correct levels and ignored the plees of their customers "the same way folk like EA will do every time" I as a digital customer would have been left screwed. I could not have returned the product and would have had no refund just wasted hard drive space. For me personally the pirated pre 1.04 period was my demo, I played and modded the game and got to know if this was worth spending my money on, once I saw the latest patch I knew it was going to be the kind of thing I like and want more of, the only way to get more is to support the folk who do that hense why I purchased the game.

AS someone above said that pc games are dying, this is abit incorrect. It's not pc games that are dying just the good innovative games that are dying, instead it's just constant console type games for the pc. If more folk felt less guilty about the piracy before you buy issue then less folk would endup out of pocket for the latest FPS that tend to be rehashes of very similar products with different labels, folk would also have their eyes opened to new and greatly designed games such as DW. If it wasn't for piracy I would have never found out nor got to play DW and matix games would be one customer less.

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 19
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 12:33:40 PM   
the1sean

Interesting discussion. PC gaming is not dead, it is definitely going the digital download route, which is GREAT for developers. Because Digital distribution requires less of a "middle man" cut on the earnings the dev gets the lion's share of the profit, and the consumer is convenienced. It's a win-win, and great for indy devs on a small budget with super low overhead.

That said, I cant stand devs that release completely unfinished games; I have much more tolerance for devs that work hard to patch and listen to player input. A shining example being codeforce and matrix.

And yeah Shark7, steak is good. Just watch the movie on netflix at home :)

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 20
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 3:19:37 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: the1sean

That said, I cant stand devs that release completely unfinished games; I have much more tolerance for devs that work hard to patch and listen to player input.

I'm not quite sure what the difference is? It's only a matter of degree, surely. And, contrary to Baleur's comment SR is an 'actual game' that is quite playable as-is; it just has a lot of stuff that needs adding to it. As I said, I was somewhat surprised at how much still needed adding to meet my expectations, but it does say something for the game that despite that incompleteness the response to it so far has been far more positive than negative. I'd probably still be meddling with it, despite my earlier comment, if they hadn't just released Elemental which I suspect will occupy me for the next few weeks.

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 21
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 4:39:37 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Just a reminder that, when discussing other games, criticism is best directed to their official forums and kept constructive. Comparing other games to DW is fine and should be in this forum, but if the discussion becomes strictly a discussion of other games, it should go in the General Discussion forum.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 22
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 7:11:26 PM   
Salient

Just burned my card... downloading now, as a huge 4x fun I hope it's as good as people in here say!
Well be back after giving it a ride tonite!

It's better to follow your intuition than a truck, except in Belgium while wanna go to England

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 23
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/23/2010 8:36:20 PM   
Fideach

There are things I like about Star Ruler; but DW is a lot more complete and enjoyable.
Though I wish we had a lot of the components Star Ruler has for the ships, in DW.
I would like to see a game mix the good from both together.

(in reply to Salient)
Post #: 24
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/24/2010 12:24:26 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warspite3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

Facts? Where are you getting facts that PC gaming is dying? Many lead people in the gaming industry (including Sid Meier) already confirmed this is in fact NOT the case. I don't know why some people still continue to state this and its simple not true. I mean seriously, Starcraft II was just released, Civ5 is around the corner, shipsim xtremes is due out in 5 days, digital distribution sales are sky rocketing! What IS dying is... the days of going to a store and buying a PC game. This is not a bad thing, I love the digital now for many reasons. No more worrying about a box with no room to put it, no more worrying about hunting for a CD that eventually ends up scratched. It feels good to be able to pick my game and play it without having the CD in the drive. If I restore my computer, I loadup steam or any of the other sites, all my games are right there to download. Then on top of this, no more hunting the net for the latest patches. You download the game and its up to date. I am all for digital distribution now. So this is the direction PC gaming is heading. PC games are becoming scarse in stores because it is more efficient to download them online now and most people are doing this. Another thing, so many times in the past I remember calling all the Gamestops in my area only to find out they are out of stock on a game I wanted. Then having to drive an hour or more away just to get it.

Well, Sid Meier said it so that's it! Whew, I was worried until Sid said it. Golly gee I sure am relieved. Sid, is releasing a game this year, so yeah he's not gonna say anything to dishearten you. I am 29. I played the original Civilization and I look back on MicroProse with a fondness you can't imagine. There used to be cool and interesting games streaming to the public, but not now. Now, all we get are yearly installments of Madden and Need for speed. The heady days of Microprose, Master of Orion, Civilization, Red Alert, Lords of Magic are drawing to a close. How long has it been since Civ IV Beyond the Sword was released? What were we given in the intervening years...? Civ Rev? Excuse me, but you can keep that garbage.

You mention Starcraft II. Starcraft was an awesome game and I rank it among civilization in terms of hours played and fun, but shouldn't starcraft II been more than it's predecessor? All we got with SCII was a rehash of what we all played in the original. There was nothing new and innovative, and that is indicative of the entire industry. Every year we get the same games we've gotten before, but with a bit more eye candy and even less depth. Take a look at Civilization V....What's new? The hex based mapping system? Gee, I've never seen that before. Excuse me for wanting a game that has incorporated the lessons learned since the early 90's! I've already mentioned the epic fail that is Spore, but I had such high hopes for that game and I was utterly let down. Don't get me wrong...despite the fact that Spore was a sellout in terms of depth...the innovation is sheer genius, however it was wasted.

Also, look at the state we find ourselves in today. We are all here on this forum, but how did you find it? I bet it took a little searching didn't it? You wanted more than what you were being given didn't you? I know I sure as hell did...I went looking for it and here I am relegated to a small pocket of the internet huddling with like minded gamers starving for quality.

@ Erik....

I would support moving the thread to a more appropriate location.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Warspite3)
Post #: 25
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/24/2010 4:40:21 AM   
the1sean

quote:

quote:

That said, I cant stand devs that release completely unfinished games; I have much more tolerance for devs that work hard to patch and listen to player input.

I'm not quite sure what the difference is? It's only a matter of degree, surely.

It is definitely a matter of degree, but an important distinction. There is a huge difference between a game that comes out a little buggy and needs some patches, and a half-finished game that has serious nearly irrepairable crash issues and crap AI. On top of that, most publishers and devs will not continue to support a product and polish it up with tons of player suggestions.

quote:

And, contrary to Baleur's comment SR is an 'actual game' that is quite playable as-is; it just has a lot of stuff that needs adding to it. As I said, I was somewhat surprised at how much still needed adding to meet my expectations, but it does say something for the game that despite that incompleteness the response to it so far has been far more positive than negative.

I wasnt trying to comment on SR, havent bought it. It sounds more like Sins of a Solar Empire than a true 4x.

quote:

I'd probably still be meddling with it, despite my earlier comment, if they hadn't just released Elemental which I suspect will occupy me for the next few weeks.

Aargh, I have to play Elemental! Star Craft 2 just came out as well. I'll never finish all these games! I still have a stack next to my 360 including Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands, Assassins Creed 2, and Dragon Age... *sigh*

I blame Distant Worlds, if it wasnt for this game I would have finished all that up by last month.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 26
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/24/2010 4:26:00 PM   
adecoy95

about the comments about digital distribution, many ISPs today have monthly bandwidth caps on their services, and its something alot of current ISPs are exploring for the future, if it happens, digital distribution will die a swift death overnight

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 27
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/24/2010 8:25:32 PM   
J HG T

quote:

Aargh, I have to play Elemental! Star Craft 2 just came out as well. I'll never finish all these games! I still have a stack next to my 360 including Mass Effect 2, Fallout 3, Red Dead Redemption, Borderlands, Assassins Creed 2, and Dragon Age... *sigh*

I blame Distant Worlds, if it wasnt for this game I would have finished all that up by last month.

Heh heh! I actually put all my 360 games (ME2, Forza 3, War for Cybertron and some others) and Wii pretty much in to ice to come back for Distant world now that it's patched to state you can fully enjoy it. Even though I love some of my console games (namely ME2) I'll definetly vote distant world for the PC GOTY anywhere possible. It reminds me of the good old days when MOOs 1&2 and Star Control 2 were held as examples of great Space/Sci-fi games. 'sniff' Distant world is just such a great game.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 28
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/25/2010 11:06:19 PM   
Hertston

quote:

... if they hadn't just released Elemental which I suspect will occupy me for the next few weeks.

Or not. Something else that needed a few more months in the cooker.

Back to DW

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 29
RE: I appreciate DW much more now. - 8/26/2010 12:30:14 AM   
T_K

When I bought SR I knew exactly what I was paying for. I am currently not playing it, just watching how the development goes and it's amazing how in the space of a few days one patch was released and another one is coming soon. It's kinda fascinating to see it grow in realtime...

If you make an uninformed purchase it's entirely your fault if you're not happy with it afterwards.

I also recently bought DW and have put some time into it but I'm not sure yet it was completely worth the $40. Too bad I really don't have that much free time :(

Starcraft II was absolutely NOT worth the $60.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> I appreciate DW much more now. Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI