Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The little ship that could.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The little ship that could. Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/28/2011 2:09:20 AM   
1275psi

14/3/42

The sweat sits sticky under your thighs, and runs down your back, little rivulets you can feel sliding down to join the puddle about your arse.
The cockpit is hotter than any of the bath houses you have ever attended, here on the ground, under the merciless sun, and you curse silently the equally sweating mechanics as they frantically hand pump the fuel into the tanks.

The engine blip, blips, at idle now –and again you glance anxiously at the temperature gauges –it is a race who will fail first now –you, the mechanic, or the engine from the heat and humidity.

But the hose is coming out, and the men are clearing, and you know that it is ON! –a glance over the shoulder –and yes, the leader is barrelling past, Tojo rocking as it takes flight ahead of you.

Strip clear, brakes off, flaps set, trim set, mixture set, a final harness tightening, a final glance –and the throttle goes forward, the stick is alive, and you barrel down the strip –fighting the bitch as the rough strip flings you into the air.

And now the swea dries as the cool air blasts in through the vents, and howls past the canopy, the sun on your shoulder, shadow chasing across the jungle green.

5000 feet, 3 minutes in –and the shock hits you –ahead, lower, right to left –enemy fighters! –P 40’s –pulling out of a straffing run, little black clouds in the green marking the strike.

No time to think, no time to contemplate, just stick over, rudder hard, wings vertical, banking, banking, eyes not quite fixed on the swift moving targets (eyes every where –be aware, be aware!), and now hard over the other way, swinging in, behind, they have not seen him, cannot have seen him! –intercepting, and there is no conscious decision –the cockpit fills with the crash of the guns, the stink of the cordite, the target flashes under the port wing, and you keep hauling around, , but the P 40 is already inverted, shovelling smoke –swallowed by the jungle.

15 seconds, from sighting to finish.

And now the B-26 slides past – with its friends –a tight, tight formation, and you thrust full boost, and climb, climb above them, level with them, ahead of them, and its mind, body, stick, plane, all as one as you swoop in, the bomber looms –aluminium, cockpit gleaming, glass, guns swinging your way, pale faces, the crashing, the stink, the canopy shattering on the bomber, the splash of blood so vivid recorded forever in that eternal moment as you hammer past mere feet away, diving down, down, away from the tracer, pulling up, gasping for breath –and the sweat is there in torrents as you look, look, and see

The B26 is nose up – at the stall –the cockpit……………the cockpit, the forward guns, the nose…………gone.

And then it tumbles away, down into the green…………

47th have a busy day today –fighting packs of p-40’s, blenhiems, B17s and B-26’s
Fuchida has two kills
The Charges son enters the heat of the war

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 271
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/30/2011 2:42:18 AM   
1275psi

16/3/42

Its always been about the reservoir
The Army that controls it, controls the fate of Singapore

At the moment, the Indians hold the wall, the gates, the buildings that control the pipeways.

The Japanese dead surround this area, testament to the defence.

Tonight, tonight the defenders expect yet another attack, the bombing, the chanting, the artillery, the yells from the dark.
Another attack is coming.

It comes at midnight, the shuffling, crowd of shadows, rushing straight down the road at them. The defenders set their jaws grimly, bend over sights –ready to kill yet again But this attack is different.. Instead of fanatical infantry emerging from the dark, a crowd of terrified civilians are rushing towards them.

It takes mere moments –the confusion, the dark – the hesitation.
Fleeting images –many of the civilians run awkwardly –awkwardly because they run with arms bound behind them
Many are women
Children too.

The Japanese infantry is there –amongst them –driving them, shielded by them.
The allied guns hesitate –hesitate too long.

The Japanese control the reservoir .
The defiance of Singapore begins to crack .

On Zuiho – the work continues.
Minor work really –but critical
The Evaporator is in a million bits – a complete de scale, and the charge wants the brine valve replaced.
The main throttle valve linkage too is apart today – being greased and cleaned.
Both boilers aft are empty and open – and the furnace is open too –the “brickees” hard at work replacing refractory.
In short, the starboard units are down – the charge has 8 hours notice for sea –he intends to use it.

From
Combined Fleet
To
Task force swift eagle

‘Enemy TBD’s operating from Palembang airfield
Attack and neutralize at first opportunity.
Be available for Perth operation from 24th of this month

Hasegawa
“crap!”
Minobe
“Ahhhhh –crap”
Hidaka
‘Airfield strikes –ah crap!’
and the Charge
“ah, oh truck , truck, truk!., now I have I have to put it all together!”

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 272
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/31/2011 4:08:26 AM   
kaleun

Just finished reading this excellent AAR (Took me two days) It does compare well with Hibiki's saga.
Looking forward for more.
Great job.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 273
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/31/2011 5:27:54 AM   
1275psi

thankyou!

16/3/42

In the ready room, Hidaka sits, staring at , well at nothing.
He has read the final operational orders for the Perth operation, and they , well, they fill him with fore boding.
It is well and good, he thinks, to serve the Empire. It is well and good to die in battle –if it serves a purpose.
He can handle heavy odds.

But this?

This is madness.

Swift eagle will cover the invasion of Perth alone.
The Mobile fleet will NOT be involved – Tarawa apparently guarantees this.
Zuiho, Shoho –that abortion of a carrier Ryujo will cover the invasion fleet, attack enemy shipping, AND suppress the enemy air threat from Perth (expected to consist of obsolescent bombers and fighters only)

As if that estimation would be right –who knew what awaits in perth? –or lurks in the Indian ocean?

Hosho too would come –if they could repair her in time, if this bucket has problems –then what Hosho apparently is experiencing made Zuiho a paragon of reliability.
Taiho would carry fighters –for delivery –she would not be able to help if they ran into the British fleet out there……………

Madness.

Worse, there would be little heavy cover –Tone, Chikuma would be the cruiser support, and no more.
There float planes would help – but if they spotted a enemy carrier –what then? –would he attack –or recommend they run?

Wearily, he shoves the problem to the back of his mind.
There is another mission first –this damn strike against Palembang. They had to survive this first..
He rises from his chair, mentally shakes himself
He Hidaka, is the operations leader. Then, he must lead.
There is work to do.

There is work to do.
All night the Stokers work, putting the plant back together. Shortly after midnight, they begin to raise steam on the boilers so recently repaired.
Shortly after 1 am, the process stops – a valve leaks
Shortly after 3, they start again, and by 5 AM, they are ready to test the MPE’s

Minobe is surly, and -(why does he do this to himself?) certainly hung over, as The Charge knocks on his door, shakes him.
“Ready to test main Engines sir”
Surprisingly, Minobe seems in a good mood
“Any problems Chief?”
‘Just a few –but we are ready”
‘Nothing Hasegawa needs to know?”
“Definitely not”
‘Good –lets do it”

Test main engines.
On a steam ship –this is the formal check that the main turbine, the boilers, the steering are ready to answer the telegraphs.
The turbine is, paradoxically, already turning – usually slowly astern, the throttle watch keeper carefully turning the shaft under steam, warming it evenly, but being very careful not to move the ship.

Minobe takes his place on the ahead throttle, the Charge the astern

“all spaces, standby to test main engines”

In the boiler rooms, the extra burners are shipped in, lit off. Being a Japanese ship –they will probably remain in place until the next shut down – in marked contrast to their British foes.
Hands grasp fuel throttles, blower throttles, and wait

Water tenders turn throttles, standby pumps come on line, condensate pumps begin to spin.
It is subtle, but Zuiho moves from being merely awake –to being alive

“Bridge, Port Engine, permission to test Main engines”
“wait”

Hasegawa meets the dawn

Once more old man, here we go again, once more.
A quick walk around the bridge –yes, all in order.
Shoho I see, raises steam too. Good.
Tide –running a little still –must be careful here
Mail boat has departed – will they get it?. Is the quarter deck clear?
Yes.
Everyone in their place?
Good
This is such a damn nuiscance –and still no confirmation that we are to go.
Still –keeps Minobe busy –and that must be good ney?

And no more damn damage control drills today…………

“Sir, Engine room requests test main engines”
Good
“Approved”

“Approved to test main engines”
Minobe nods to the charge.
The astern throttle is closed, and Minobe swings open the ahead, and the revolutions swing towards 30, 40 ahead.

At Zuiho’s stern , the water boils, white and angry, and imperceptibly, her bulk begins to move forward.

Now the Charge swings open the astern throttle, and Minobe simultaneously swings his shut, the shaft brakes stopped, holds, and now the rev gauge swings rapidly the other way.

Again, the boiling, and Zuiho strains slightly at her anchor…………

Minobe again swings his throttle, the Charge closes his, all is good.
The seaman on watch takes the throttle, resumes the slow turning astern
“Port test complete, moving to starboard”

“Ahh Minobe –all done?”
‘Yes sir –your intentions?”

I wish I new engines, I wish I knew. “Shoho has problems –apparently. We will stay at immediate notice however, the mission is a go. “

Hasegawa moves to the starboard wing of his bridge “it’s a fortunate delay though –the mail has arrived in port –we will await the ships boat return”

Below, the charge -48 hours with out sleep now – decides to eat, the day has just begun, and he has rounds to do yet.

I suppose its easy to think that our Flight crews lead glamourous, dangerous, yet fairly boring lives.
After all –besides flying –what else do they do?

Rule number one on any warship re juniour officers.
There are never enough of them, nor enough duties you can give them.
Think of a large motel –and everything that is needed to run it.
Juniour officers get those tasks.

Laundry ? –that’s a middies job
Quarterly mess bills?
Harbour master liason?
Navigation maps?
Water tight logs
The quarterly muster of widgets?

The list is endless

LT JG Kurihama has one of these jobs –one he actually at times, enjoys.
Mail

Oh –he does not sort it, or do the hard stuff –there are men for that –he however accompanies it ashore, delivers it, and collects it.
What that means is a nice little boat run ashore –a run ashore that always means a chance to indulge in activities denied elsewhere – a bath, a good meal, even the obtainment of certain supplies.
A very useful, sort after extra duty.

So today we find Kurihama nestled in the stern of the ships boat, feeling very nautical, the three very large bags of mail filling the boats bottom –mail everyone is eagerly awaiting, - and three very fine bottles of Scotch hidden away in another bag as well.
The sea is calm, the sun shining, the breeze cool, the engine put, put, putting away nicely.

The quarter master on Zuiho’s stern waves –come alongside –and Kurihama nods to his coxswain –‘Bring us along leader”

This boating is such a lark…………

‘mail boat coming alongside sir”
“About bloody time”

You were lucky Shoho is broken Kurihama –otherwise I might not have been so patient with you………..
……..and I hope its red lable……….

Immediate notice

Keep the turbine turning slow –astern, or ahead.
But keep it turning slow
Okano has taken the watch –and is having problems. The condendate pump governor has broken its spring –again –and he is wrestling with it. He yells to the upper plates ‘ bring me the pliers please!’

Against all orders, the throttle watch keeper does.
He returns, and glances at the revolution counter.

And makes a very human mistake…………

It happens. I don’t know how. It just happens.
He reads 150 RPM – as 15 ahead
He opens the throttle –chasing that dial.
Steam surges.
The turbine surges
As does the propeller

For Kurihama it all happens bewilderingly fast.
One moment, the bowsman is reaching for the gangway with his pole, ready to secure the boat.
The next, Zuihos Flank is crashing past them, and the whoosh, whoosh of the propeller is filling their ears –and it becomes in a moment a nightmare of thrashing water, splintering timbers, screams, and a mad scrambling towards the bow away from the thrashing death of the propeller

And then, he sits, in the bow, the water swirling in, the boat , the mail. The booze, his dignity, sliding under the ocean, and he and his two companions are swimming , in shock, towards the pale faces staring down at them from so, so far above………

Zuiho does not sail after all – shoho’s problems need another twelve hours.
In his cabin, the captain works.
It takes his mind off the disaster of the morning.

To lose mail is no small thing.
To lose it to stupidity, to carelessness, to , to lack of attention…………..

He reaches for the next document at the top of the pile.
Performance assessments………..

Minobes writing is neat, sparse.
“This CPO is conscientious and hard working. His attitude is good. His results are good. I consider his performance a key factor in Zuiho’s operationally effectiveness.
I highly recommend him for promotion..

The Charge
The Charge.

And something , something in him whelms up.

His writing is not neat –but sprawling, ragged.

“Command disagrees completely with assessment. This sailor is unsupporting of command objectives, careless, and sloppy. Too many defects, too many failures.
But for war requirements, would remove same from ship. I place him on 6 months probation.”

Have your damn fire drills charge –but I am sick of bloody breaking down!

17/3/42

Mobile fleet rushes east towards tarawa
Swift eagle fuels a final time, and awaits orders

Fighting surges across the jungles of Singapore island, enters the suburbs
The last Dutch surrender in java –and the Japanese Army boards the trains for the journey south

The Minister for production makes a final plea to cancel the perth invasion – he cannot spare the ships.
The Dictator herbiesan rebuffs him. He has some wild scheme in his head of “stealing Australia’s gold”
He is not the only deluded man apparently in Japan about the strength of the allies, and the inherent weaknesses of Japans

On Akagi, Yamamoto briefs his captains

“ Nobody would dream of invading Perth –with out carrier support”
Many nod in agreement
“There fore we will.”

He smiles. War is so much like poker –unless you gamble big –you cannot win big…….

‘I count on Admiral Cantona seizing another opportunity in the gilberts. The moment he sees the Perth operation– committing to another attack – Mobile fleet will ambush this attack”

‘But what of the Perth attack ? – can it succeed if we are not there?” Captain hara asks the obvious question ‘I, for one, can’t help think that that is a lot for Hasegawa to cover”

And here it is, the nub of all of Japans problems
The arrogance

“ Pert is weak, poorly defended. I see no problems Hasegawa will not be able to handle”

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 274
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/31/2011 3:15:51 PM   
kaleun

quote:

“ Pert is weak, poorly defended. I see no problems Hasegawa will not be able to handle”

I foresee a major disaster brewing.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 275
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/1/2011 5:21:45 AM   
1275psi

(yes, there will be blood).....................

18/3/42

Its raining in Soerabaya.
If you can call it rain.
Others are likening it to the biblical deluge of Noahs time.
It sheets down, it belts down, it beats the ocean into a soup, it fills the rivers, the streams, it fills the harbour with a brown mud.
It beats down on the men, on zuiho, running off her decks in rivers and streams.

It thunders onto the flight deck –the sheer noise almost drowning out all conversation.
It rolls across the harbour, the clouds dumping it barely 500 feet above them.

And it totally destroys visibility, Zuiho may as well be alone in the world, not raising anchor in this terribly crowded anchorage.

Miserably, her men man the gun tubs, the anchor windlass and gear, her various stations, and Hasegawa anxiously paces her bridge –all but blinded.

It may be raining, but the humidity is still high –and every bridge window is useless –fogged thick with condensation

Surrounded by water, Zuiho is seeking the ocean –if she can find it.

“Anchor secured sir”
‘Very good. Slow ahead both”

Very good –who am I kidding?. This is going to be tricky.
‘Can any one tell me if anyone has sailed yet?”

Hasegawa glances at his Navigator, his XO – they shake heads negative –and unspoken, he see’s it in their eyes……..this will be difficult –are you up to it?
Is he?
He will see.

Zuiho slides through the grey, blind, groping into the incredible rain

In Damage Control central, they sweat.
At action stations, buttoned up –the ventilation is poor.
And so they sweat.

A phone rings, and the CPO Chippy takes the call.
A high voice at one end, the CPO nods, makes a note.
“We will look when we have secured from actions”

He turns to Minobe
“No 1 fire pump won’t start “
Minobe merely grunts .

The silence resumes, and they sweat.

Hidaka isn’t sweating. He is wet, half drowned, and bloody annoyed.
One of the three Kates parked awaiting for todays ASW patrols may have to be declared U/s

It is, as it is too often the case –the radio
Not surprising with all the rain, this humidity.
For a few moments he thinks hard –and makes a decision – he needs this bird soon. If it stays close on the inner CAP –will it need a radio?
Does he need to re spot this bird –take the torpedo’s off another one, do all that –for?

The rain belts down –and, he faces it –what chance of flying in this?

The bird will remain on the deck

Zuiho creeps along

And Hasegawa’s anxiety climbs.
‘Can you see the Mark yet navigator?”

“No sir”

Goddam it –it must be there –I am on track!
‘Look again!”

The bridge remains silent, and the rain pounds down. He can barely see the focastle –let alone anything else. Damn blind pilotages……..

The navigator speaks

“I calculate we are at the mark sir, recommend port 20, new course 240”
“Very good”

But I don’t agree – or do I?
‘helmsman! –confirm your course”
‘Course 300 sir”

Are we on track?
What is the wind doing to this scow?
Why can’t I see anything –where is that damn light?

“Sir –we are passing the point –I make us 100 yards of track now!”

Damn him
Alright then.
Damn him – I am sure we have 100 yards to run yet.

And then the cry from the starboard wing
“Channel marker sighted sir”
Where goddam it!”

Astern sir! –fifty hards astern!

For a mere moment, the blood freezes in his old veins.
Then, the desperate attempt to recover.
“ Half astern both! –port 30!”

A damn rookie mistake –or an old mans one –but which? –does it matter now –the edge of the channel must be so close……….
Idiot, this a carrier –pushed by the wind –not the Mutsu! So solid in her passage
Please -, please –let us not touch!

Zuiho does not touch. Hasegawa never knows how close to grounding they have gone –but all know it has been close –far too close.

And then magically –as it happens in the tropics –the rain stops, the sun blazes –and zuiho –only a little of course now, edges into the oceans, turns North, and increases speed.
Soon the three kates depart, and the day begins.

Fighting in Singapore dies down –the latest attack petering out.
But tactically –Japan is almost there.
A few days rest, a few more days of softening up –and finally, finally, this place must fall.

Hosho is hungry

He is part of a small party alone, an advanced recon unit.
A very dangerous job –the accepted role for such parties is to trip the ambushes laid, to initiate contact.
Few ever survive it.
One advantage though –only a single officer is with them
And he too, is hungry
You just cannot march day after day through the jungle on the rations that the Empire consider sufficient –and not be.
But Hosho has not survived life this far by placidly accepting the status quo.
His eyes catches a movement in the tree above them
In one swift movement, his gun swings up –and a shot rings out.

The small monkey crashes to the path.
No one will be hungry in this party today

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 276
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/3/2011 6:03:26 AM   
1275psi

19/3/42

Swift eagle steams north along the east coast of java, through a brilliant blue sea, under an even bluer sky.

Officially, it is a quite day –the 9 kate on continous ASW patrol circle all day with out incident, or enemy contact.

Reality –the details no History book, no “detailed examination” ever seems to reveal, is completely different.
For starters, Swift eagle steams through terribly poorly chartered waters –waters now with out any operating light houses or navigating aids –all destroyed by the Dutch and British.
The sea crawl with submarines –this is the uppermost threat in every ones mind –and this leads to most of the days drama.
The seas here –quite simply –are not empty.

Again, and again –the fishing boats heave into view over the horizons –again, and again the kates, and at times –the destroyers are dispatched to investigate.
Nor are these oceans particularly clean – 4 times today swift eagle will sight a “periscope” and react – and each time it will be a log, or rubbish –or in one case –wreckage.

The enemy too –have not deserted these oceans –they still operate many small warships –and small coastal freighters still break, or attempt to break the Singapore siege.

It will be a long day, a busy day, and men will finish it cranky and tired.
There will be very little glory or glamour today.

Captains log

Steaming towards Palembang to conduct air strikes am tomorrow.
Continuous ASW patrols –continuous alerts
Latest reports place Palembang operating a dozen or more ‘vilderbeast’ TBD’s, and a scattering of fighters.
Ship performing well – in most aspects.
I have requested a replacement for my navigator.

Operations log
30% CAP and ASW patrol maintained
Nil operational defects, or incidents. Many, many false SS sightings today. Flight deck operating smoothly indeed today – very pleasing

Have decided to strike Palembang at maximum range – agree with Command that threat from enemy TBD’s is considerable.
Intend to weight strike with considerable escort.

Charges diary
Huge effort to make sailing
Regrettable incident when at anchor whilst at immediate notice –I can’t train against stupidity!
Ship steaming hard –defects today –No1 fire pump Motor burnt out –currently removing motor from pump.

Conducted overspeeds on Force draft blowers today –hot work!
All successful
Successfully blew soot, set to work Evaporator
Regret cement repair beginning to weep a smear of oli/water.
I suspect a hull crack under the cement !
Action stations set for 3 am
Very tired.

20/3/42

The lights in the ready room are harsh, and they make paler, grimmer faces appear worse than they actually are.
Already here in this room, Hidaka can smell the sweat, and the tension is heavy.
(an amazing thing this –the way humans can “feel’ tension) he thinks, as he faces them.
“the plan”
The murmers fall silent

Around them Zuiho is bustling into action.
The hanger deck rings to the calls and yells of the labour of moving multiple tonne beasts manually to the lift, the rattle and clang of ammunition carts.
Below them, the whine of the Forced draft blowers is now loud, strident, rising in volume.
Around them, Zuiho vibrates, more than a mere ship now -a wea-pon, coiled and poised to strike.

They feel it. All of them, so many men, all bending towards the common goal.
The strike

These men, the point of the spear, turn all ears towards Hidaka

The horizon is still dark, and the ocean a malevolent shadow passing swiftly under bows.
It would be very easy to walk straight off the flight deck at the moment.
The days preparations however, are now well advanced.
Prepare a strike
Deliver a strike
Recover the strike
This is her task, and at this, little Zuiho is better than good. At this stage of the war, a deckman on Hornet would despair at the difference between his still working up ship, and this little crew.
Few words, few orders are given, few are needed. The machine knows its job.
Three zeros sit first down astern , engines now running, bringing the radials to a safe temperature – the failure of one to start has barely disturbed the dance – in a few minutes they will launch and commence the CAP.

Behind them, fat bombs nestled under the bellies, 3 Kates too warm up, the ASW patrol.
Kurihama will be part of this patrol –and he is frankly fowl with this –(he cannot say anything of course) -he so desperately wants to go with the strike.

Hidaka however, has eyes for his deck –he wants a hard man to help protect it.
The seas, these dark waters hide deadly beasts –today holds a great risk of encountering them.

Below, the remaining Kates wait –the slick fish gleaming – Hidaka’s reserve in case the british fleet sticks its nose in.
Ryujo, Shoho will conduct the first strike, it may be arrogance –but Hidaka now feels his men superior in naval strike.
He knows too, that a second will be needed –if a weapon swap is needed, he will do it.

Below decks –Zuiho is buttoned up. The guns are manned.
All four boilers burn, all pumps are running. The men stand expectantly at the throttles, at the boiler front.

They too, feel the excitement.

‘Pilots to your planes”
Ogawa jogs to his zero.
“ready Chief?”
Hie!”

She is ready. He is ready. The nerves stay –as always………what will today bring
‘Good hunting sir!’
Good hunting?
Goodness – why do they have so much faith in me?
I must not let them down……….

Ogawa –already a killer of three planes climbs in, settles down, believing, as always, that he really is undeserving the honour of being here.
He will never really be aware of the respect his crew have for him now…

Six planes, a dozen men. And so many depending on them

Hasegawa sniffs the breeze – Zuiho is making her own, and the bridge wing is cool.
The sky is turning pink on the horizon. Again he curses the lack of some sort of island.
“Wind Hidaka?’
“Too little to matter sir –it’s a mirror”
“We will have to make our own ney?’
Hidaka nods.
If Minobe can manage it …………

“Full ahead all!, battle speed one”

Flags break out, the rising sun, the great battle flag streams
Now, the light is here, and shadows are firming into white figures, and Hidaka is on the deck.
He takes Okura’s eye – good luck my little Tiger-and the youngster nods -yes, I am ready

The flag drops

“Full ahead all!”
The bells ring, and now Hirate glues his eyes upon the gauges.
Behind him, aft, he knows Okura is now opening the throttles, dragging huge quantities of steam off him, steam he must supply.

“Ship last burners!’
Come on you bitch, lets go, lets go

He swings the blower throttles to full –they won’t go any more, and above him, the howl becomes a shriek
The guage falls, a little, recovers, he gives the fuel a last hitch –and this is all he can give.
He bends, speaks, yells into his communications.
“That’s all I can give you Okano!’
A laugh from the other side –excitement in the voice –Oh come on, I am sure you can do better.”

Okano turns the throttle carefully, he knows this is not about just pressure to the turbine, but pressure, and heat, and vacuum, and ,above all, energy.
A balancing act.
A good throttle watchkeepers pride –to get that extra revolution from the beast that nobody else can.

“Ship is at full speed sir”
28 knots…………good.

“Commence launching”

A carrier
At speed
Her decks packed, launching into the dawn
How can you not be excited, feel pride, feel elation at the sight.
The empire is striking again

Ogawa barrels down into the dawn, and the men line her side –caps waving in her self made breeze , the yells of encouragement almost carrying him into the air.

He clears the deck , secures the gear, banking away, sun glinting of the red balls.
Fighter pilot

Kurihama watches the last zero go –checks again
“Are you idiots ready?’
He growls
His Observer laughs “This idiot is ready”
His gunner too snorts – “ Only if you are -personally, I could do with some more breakfast”
“Oh shut up you fool”! – but now tone serious “hang on, we are going”
The memory of Kamisaka’s fatal launch still hangs over them all.

The bird bellows, crawls down the deck, and in agonising slow motion, gains the air, and all can breath again.

Soon, startling soon, the air above swift eagle beats with the gleaming formation of the strike, it circles the task force once, gaining altitude, then turns North, fading into the sea mist, the rising sun.

Onboard Zuiho –terror now stalks the hanger deck
Hidaka –tongue cracking and lashing, urges his men to get the Naval strike onto deck. As good as they are –they will never be good enough for him.

“battle speed 2 –maintain current course”
Machinery –machinery on the edge, slows down, but only a little
Straining still Swift eagle continues racing North

Strike
Eliminate threat from Palembang airfield

These are the orders.
11 bombers, 10 zero sweep across Palembang airfield in the early morning.
Some things are in explicable in war –this moment is one of them

No fighters are aloft – little flak rises to meet them
In steady formation the bombs fall as one -impacting on the hanger area, the hardstands –and the bombers scattered there.

The field disappears in the dust, planes have been destroyed –but this is a big field –and many still remain

The signal flashes back
“require second strike”

Hidaka receives the word
Second strike required
He half expected it. In fact, he damn well knew it would come.
Dawn is hours past now –and no reports of shipping yet – if they were to be found –surely they would have been spotted now?

He races to the bridge, arriving flush faced.
Hasegawa stands as usual –rigid near the starboard wing door
The old, cold eyes have no twinkle today –just weariness. “Your recommendation Hidaka?

He has 6 kates still. Pilots chaffing. As he is. No opposition.
‘We will strike sir”
“Good-how long?”

“As soon as I can sir.”

Above, the strike circles, coming into circuit, settleing onto decks
Around her, the CAP circles
Below decks –frantic work.

The kates have been struck –the trollies have been wheeled in. 6 gleaming fish taken away –the bomb trollies now waiting in turn –the 800 kg bombs man handled, cursed, sweated into position.
Hidaka lashes them, every thought on getting the strike aloft –too easy for Palembang to receive reinforcements, he wants to hit them now!

The hanger, crowded with trollies, ordinance, and sweating men is too small for today.
Too small – and Hidaka knows he needs more men. They need more trollies – that he can see – more trollies is critical.

“Periscope!”
Kurihama starts in his seat –
‘Where!”
Starboard wing! -1000 yards!”

De ja vue………?

But there is no attack, even as he hauls the lumbering beast around, the sliver of water marking the scope fades.
“damn- OK, warn home”

“enemy SS spotted by Kurihama 10 miles dead ahead sir”
So – they are there, stalking us. Submarines –what a damn dis honourable weapon…….
‘Shoho reports second SS dead ahead sir”
Another………..
‘XO – do a set of rounds please – cells for any man not keeping proper look out!”

History is so bloody sparse at times

“Shattering the Sword reads here ‘ the task force, steaming north at high speed, comes under Submarine attack at 1316 hours – causing the force to suspend launching of the second strike for nearly 40 minutes.’

And that is it.
Who spotted the SS?
What seaman , standing in the elements for hours now – stuck to his task, spotted that periscope so many yards away –spotted, and called the alarm in time for the turn away…
Why cannot history ever mention him, why are these men never rewarded?
But this man does –he see’s the scope – well in time –and Hasegawa can react.

In an hours time, Zuiho will launch 5 Kates –not the sixth
History again does not tell us why not 6 –it considers that not important.
To many, there at the immediate –it is very important.

‘Periscope! –bearing 030! –range 1500 yards!’
Hasegawa moves –instinctive, habital, the glasses raising, almost with out thought to the correct bearing, the correct range. Experience at these times matters…..

The glass –the finger –all there – SS –moving in to attack

‘Port 30!”
New course, 270!
Port 30 Sir!, and the wheel is flung hard, and zuiho answers, heeling into the turn, still doing battle speed two.

Hidaka is at the forward lift, the first kate on it, man around her like workers to the queen, when the heel begins
They feel it, all feel it – the heel, as around them Zuiho shudders and vibrates
The tannoy calls – ‘action starboard –SS to starboard!”
Curses, curses, he feels the deck heel, and heel some more.
“Hold her men!, hold her!
800kilos of bomb, 2 tons of plane and fuel, unsecured………
The workers hold, men rushing to her, holding her, muscles verses physics…

They win – but even as Hidaka strains against this bird, he sees the disaster.
Three Torpedos remain in trollies in the hanger deck –yet to be stowed below in the chaos of the change – and now 1000 kilos, 20 odd feet of death breaks free, and rolls –rolls back wards across the heeling deck.
Not fast, walking , jogging pace –if that.
Fast enough, far enough however.

Three men are under Kate 016, waiting at the chocks –two see the onrushing missile –one does not.
His shriek -cut off so quickly –fills the hanger , as he is crushed between trolley and undercart –the kate collapsing down, mercifully hiding the horrible mess………

Zuiho rights herself

History tells us, at 1530 –a second strike goes out – only 5 Kate strong.

This time –this time Kurihama spots it.
Dead ahead – following the task group.

He barely has to adjust his flight –diving shallowly down, hand jerking, the bomb falling, falling.

The great explosion –and there is NO doubt about it – that is oil, and wreckage.
He has killed
And (disturbingly to us –but not TO HIM) he is filled with a satisfying thrill.

Captains Log

Heavy day
Launched strikes against Palembang airfield
All pilots/planes, crews performed extremely well –multiple hits registered, claims of 6 aircraft destroyed

ASW patrol of LTJG Kurihama claims one SS destroyed –un able to verify, however I feel claim is justified.
Regret that ship suffered one hanger death during violent manouvers, and one plane damaged .
Will, when time becomes available –conduct an investigation.
Task force continues North at high speed, intend to continue with amore strikes tomorrow.

Operations report
Heavy day
3 kates ASW patrol -6 sorties flown
9 zero flew –total 14 sorties
5 kates airfield strike -5 sorties
1 kate damaged hanger accident

We must, repeat must, secure ordinance upon weapons change out. It struck me today –if that SS had been a Dive bomber ………………..

Strike, full strike ordered for tomorrow….

From Charges Diary

We had a great day today –command asking for full power multiple times –and planrt able to respond.
Struggling with Chemistry Port forward boiler 9 a bloody again! –what is it with that trucking kettle)
Repairs to brickwork on Starboard Aft has not worked too well – I suspect we are exposing casings to raw flames at this time..ce la ve!

Lost no2 fire pump today –wear ring failure –jammed the pump –we lifted the lid –needs a complete re build.. I have decided to use its motor for No1 while we work on it.
Feed 90%
Fresh 70%
Fuel 70%
Oil -99%!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 277
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/3/2011 7:24:41 PM   
kaleun

Tense moments.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 278
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/4/2011 1:04:09 AM   
1275psi

21/3/42

It is a long night
Task Force swift eagle continues to steam hard North through out the night – her crew remaining at their stations.
Food is distributed through out –sticky rice –little else, yet it is very welcome.
Some manage to rest –those in the guns, isolated compartments, others, most, cannot.

The moon disappears soon after dusk –the clouds thickening.
Shortly after midnight, it begins to rain.

Hasegawa greets a wet dawn, a white capped sea.
He has not slept all night.

It shows
It shows on many faces.

No matter how grainy the eyes, how heavy the limbs, they carry on.

Hidaka spots another strike, but as Swift eagle approaches to within 120 miles of Palembang, it is obvious that one will not be launched.

But the nest is still operating.
Swift eagle will have to loiter here for a while yet, here in these waters crawling with hidden menace

22/3/42

The Charge knocks on Minobes door.
It is dawn, and the sheer effort to knock, has been almost too much.

He stinks, the dried sweat slick on his body.
Zuiho stood down during the night to its usual defence stations –and has had a quiet night.
The Stokers, however, have not.

There have been problems, problems all night.
The drain tank float has failed –a common problem, open the bloody tank, haul it out, solder the float, re install it.
Hot bloody work –and one has to manually control the air ejector drains while it goes on.
The fire pump work has continued all night – machining of the wear rings has gone OK –the fitting of the bearing has turned to custard, it only an hour ago has been finished.
Maybe today they will be back to four pumps.
Twice during the night he has been in the Chemistry cell –deciding, adjudicating on the required dose for the boiler – the Chemistry has not enjoyed the hard steaming at all.
But –he hopes –they are on it.

Sleep –sleep was days ago

For a few moments he sways at the Engineers door –momentarily his brain has gone elsewhere.
Ah, yes –daily report.

And he must get some breakfast.

Minobe opens the door.

****ly chin, bloodshot eyes.
No alcohol today, just exhaustion too.

Come in Chief

The chair is too soft. ‘I think I will stand sir –might not get up again if I sit”
Tiredly Minobe waves him to sit.

He does
(my legs are trembling. God, am I THAT tired)

Silently, Minobe hands him a sheet of paper.
‘Your performance, promotion assessment”

The charge reads it –but it does not –for a moment register.
“Apparently “ – a long, embarrassed pause ‘apparently the command does not believe you support his objectives”

The charge stares at the form.
Does he understand?

I am not sure

Then tiredly, he stands, hands the paper back.
He is too tired –for now –to give a damn

Extract from Shattering the Sword – a Cantona production

Japanese high command must have been confident about the final attack planned for Singapore.
The air war in Burma begins, 3rd, 5th air divisions opening the account.
Th Japanese bomber squadrons have been savaged over Singapore –many, in fact most, are well below 50% strength –yet today nearly 60 sallies darken the sky over Rangoon

The rain begins to clear after midday –and Hidaka launches a strike at last.
Again the decks bustle, the pilots stride to the machines, the men count them away –and watch as they dwindle over the horizon.

Then, you clear the decks, and wait.

Empty of planes, Zuiho feels –strange.
Shoho provides the CAP today –all but the damaged Kate from Zuiho are gone today.

They will be gone some time – and Hasegawa takes advantage of the time – there is a duty to perform

The shroud is wrapped tightly around the form –hard to think it as once a man –and under the rising sun, it could almost be anything.
Yet, as always –this other mans death, forces every one there to consider the fact of their own.
The service is swift –and mostly whipped away by the breeze and rush of water below.

Too quickly, the rifles bark, the plank rises, the shape is swallowed into the sea.
The strike soon will return, and the war must continue.

It returns, not unscathed.

One plane is brought in first, and many hands rush to the Kate, and gently remove Matsuyama, shrapnel has punched his lower leg – his forces a smile –pale face grimacing.

“I will be OK Hidaka – it could be worse –it could have been a foot or so higher”
Yes, it could have been.

“The Strike Hidaka?”
“we need another”
“Another!”

Yes you old man, another. You have me circling so many bloody planes on ASW patrol today,, would you like me to fly there myself to add to the strike?

“We aren’t Combined fleet sir”

‘relax Hidaka –I mean no criticism. A Job really for the battle ships I think”

He must consider that. Yes –he is probably right. Except the minefields there are probably thicker than bees to honey.

“ you get one more –we must go –Perth is calling – Minobe is whinging again about bottom blows and such like crud –we probably need a day or two to ready ourselves, its going to be a big trip”
‘One more then”

23/3/42

Diogawa sits.
He needs to sit, his trembling muscles simply, he thinks, won’t let him out of the cockpit just yet.

His Zero is safely down, but he really does not know how.

The fuel gauge reads zero - the engine must have been on fumes….
He stares-again, at the aileron - how much of it is left?-half? –a third?

How many more holes in his bird?

His crew jostle about now ‘Are you OK? –do you need help?”
He waves them away – Bushido dictates………

Hidaka counts them in, and finds eight planes are damaged.
Yes, that was the last strike.
The enemy flak ensures that.

The ready room is quiet –the pilots slumped about it.
Few have yet to remove flying suits –or anything.
Tea is being distributed, sipped gratefully

They have gone in low today ,hammered the base –and finally closed it.
But the flak…………

War is a very serious business indeed when the enemy shoot back.

On Akagi

Yamamoto hands this latest flimsy to Nagumo –who hands it to Hara.
‘at last”

Singapore has been taken.

Yamamoto stares at the endless sea sliding past.
Kongo sparkles in the sun, her turrets swinging. Tanaka working his Flagship hard. Good. We must all work hard.

So, the first objective finally taken.
Clarke / battaan surely soon to follow.

But now for the real objective
Bring the enemy carriers to battle………

“Truk tomorrow Hara?”

‘yes sir -and I for one cannot wait”
Akagis beloved Captain (Hara has been, is, and always will be –the Akagi) ventures a question

“What is swift eagles status?”
“The transports are loaded. Three divisions strong . I have given him 12 hours to refuel, and sail”

24/3/42

Zuiho races south towards home –as they now call Soerabaya.
In her hangers, the work begins, patching, repairing
There is much to do, and the men bend to the task under the harsh lights that flood the hanger with bright light.

Outside, the overcast covers the moon, and the dark is deep indeed, especially for eyes adjusting from the brightness of below.
Step outside –and you will be blind.

And so it is, that blind, Zuiho silently loses another man –a cook- stumbling over something maybe –missing maybe that hand hold –as he tips waste over the side –and follows it.
Gone, and not missed for many hours.

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 279
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/4/2011 9:57:43 AM   
hosho

so well written! nice picture of "small and simple" operation - another proof that there is no such thing in wartime!
anxious to see how the oz invasion will unfold...

we wan more! we want more! we want more!
cheers mate!

the first ones are remembered

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 280
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/5/2011 2:57:36 AM   
1275psi

gawd -thats all I need, pressure! LOL
hang in there Hosho mate -"You" are in for quite a bit down the track -the game is miles ahead of me now!

24/3/42

“we are missing a man”
“overboard?”
“Almost certainly – a young cook –smn Agarshi”

Hasegawa straightens from the binnacle – The turn into Soerabaya is in ten minutes
“make a note of it Ex in the ships log”

In the hanger deck, two aircraft maintainers bend over the jagged hole in Kate 019 wings.
It is nearly fist size – what ever came through here only needed to be 2 inches another way to have taken the main spar out.
But such is war

“pass me the snips”
“Did you hear?”
“What?”
“We lost Agarshi over the side during the night”
“Moonface?”
“Yes, him. I am beginning to think this ship has a curse…”

Two men bend over a fire pump – carefully lowering the new rotating assembly into the casing
“Did you hear?”
That we lost Agarshi over the side?”
“Yes, careful! –don’t pinch the ring!”
‘I am beginning to think this ship may have a curse on it”
‘You think?!!!”

(in reply to hosho)
Post #: 281
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/5/2011 3:34:45 AM   
1275psi

Twelve hours

You can do a lot in twelve hours.

On Zuiho –a lot needs to be done

First –personal.
3 new Kate crewmen join –they are met with grins and back slaps –many here like to see Chinese veterans instead of rookies –and this crew is very, very experienced.
Although Hidaka does not know it –Okura’s father (mr industry) –has been very busy in the background –experienced men for replacements are very short in the empire now………

Several new smn stokers join too – they have an unhappy joining –meeting Minobe within minutes of joining…………..but it could have been worse –they could have run into the Charge.

Fuel, water, stores, ammunition……….there are men enough, time enough to get this onboard –especially under the wrathful watch of the executive officer and Hasegawa

It is below decks, (again) out of sight, and mostly mind, that it really happens
Zuiho has been on four boilers all of this mission, and now all four must be shut down, bottom blowed, and at least one brought back on line.

This goes well down aft – but 1A –living to her reputation as a real cow –does not play the game.
It is shut down, and after the appropiate time, the bottom blows take place, the water is re topped up –and preparations made to get her back online –1B still needs to be done
Its then that the watch spot it –the mud drum door (water drum door for you lubbers) gasket, is weeping.

Rapid expansion, rapid contraction –maybe (and the Charges suspicion of this is right ) a little warping thanks to that burst tube incident-and the spiral gasket leaks.

Then again –this is a notorious Japanese boiler problem.

The Charge- of course- is informed

He has not yet had that breakfast – water is critical for today, and he is down on the cargo hatch on the lower hanger deck personally confirming the water barge is along side –and that water is being delivered..

He can but utter one very coarse expletive – and rush to this the latest crises.
But he does not make it –intercepted by another harassed face, sweaty and worried
“The vap has fallen over”
‘Do you know what is wrong with it?”
“No –we are trying to get it going again”
‘OK –just truking fix it OK!”

Now for the boiler.

The climb down is long –and he notices, almost casually –that the leg trembles are back.
He needs sleep.
He needs some food.
Even a wash would be good –anything to freshen him up……….

Yes –the boiler is f^%$#@ed
Nothing for it.
“Dump it to bilge –get it open –the spare gaskets are on the back of the door into the workshop –use the grey one –those green ones are crap!’

Minutes later, Minobes cabin

‘How long Chief?”
‘Dump –30 minutes, open her up, 10, new gasket, 30 minutes, backfill –an hour .
I will feed pump squeeze her – another thirty minutes.
Light off, an hour later, maybe two-depends on her initial dose I suppose”

Minobe nods. He too knows all about leaking gaskets.
‘Good work”

Hasegawa cannot believe his ears

Arrival in port –and a shut down –and now down a boiler –for how long?
Six hours.

That little barsted did this to me deliberately………….
He can barely hide his displeasure, scowling at engines
“We sail in 6 hours Minobe –100% availability do you hear –100%!!!”

The vap goes –this time. But, he feels it –something is not quite right………
But he is too tired to spend time on it now –and too many things call –he has to witness the squeeze yet, witness the fire pump set to work, and then there will be Test main engines……….
And, Damn –he has missed lunch now too……….

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 282
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/5/2011 3:44:03 AM   
1275psi

‘Bridge main Engines”
‘Bridge”
‘Test main Engines complete. Steaming 1A, 2A boilers, 1B, 2B banked at 30 minutes Notice.
3 Fire pumps available, 2 TG’s available, fuel at 98%, feed 76%, Fresh at 79%”

“Very good. All spaces, Obey telegraphs”

Zuiho slides slowly out of Soerabaya harbour again.
Behind her – 20 transports, each packed to the gills with troops.
Two cruisers Tone, Chikuma, on the flanks.
Half a dozen destroyers yipping at the flanks

Somewhere already ahead –the replenishment tankers

Nestled in the heart of the convoy – Hosho, Taiyo (her decks lined with army fighters)
Everything you need to take a war to another country…..

A huge investment by Japan.

All of it, resting upon a 62 year olds shoulders………….

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 283
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/5/2011 1:39:52 PM   
kaleun

Amazing read.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 284
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/6/2011 1:35:33 AM   
1275psi

Thankyou, its only because the game has such great depth I have so much to write about!
So far everything has, and will continue to reflect the game very closely
Also -all the defects Zuiho has reflect what i had in real life -but actually, probably not nearly as heavy a real load, nothing "made up" here -so thats easy to tell!
Anyway, thanks for encouragement -spread the news!

1275psi
(turns to play, update soon)

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 285
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/6/2011 4:57:56 AM   
1275psi

25/3/42

Surprisingly, Swift eagle clears Soerabaya with out incident, sails south, and turns, just before midnight, for the Sunda Straight.

For Okano, taking the middles now –there is one brief moment of excitement.
The shaft, turning at a steady 120 RPMs, suddenly slows dramatically, the needle falling back towards 100 – eyes frantically search for the meaning………until the far more experienced hand he shares the watch with speaks into his ear- “we are entering the straight –going against the tide –wait until we get through, then you will suddenly overspeed……..”

He is right, two hours later they leave the funnel of the straight, and enter the Indian ocean true.

Zuiho’s bows begin to rise and fall –once again, she begins to bite a true swell.

Poor nashiguchi also feels the swell, and knows instinctively, this is going to be a long journey,………

The charge, at last, sleeps a while.

Hasegawa too.

Hidaka completes his operational orders for the attack on perth.
Priority –shipping – then the enemy defences. . he will have to trust that perth is not heavily air defended, the last week has rammed this home, swift eagle does not have the strength to close a field down in one hit.

He will just have to trust to luck………….

The day goes quietly enough, Hidaka maintains a very light CAP –but a very heavy search , his pilots are quite weary by days end.
Nothing, however, is sighted.

All in all, a good beginning.

OK, lets talk evaporators

Simple beasts.
Raise a vacuum in a large container (use a pump, or steam driven air ejectors”
Fill it with sea water
Heat some coils with steam (exhaust or saturated)
Boil

Catch the left over brine near the top of the drum in a funnel arrangement that has a large hole in the middle –pump the brine overboard

In this large hole –place a garbage can –fill it with filters –this is where your evaporated water passes, any salt is caught-goes with the brine.

Cool the evaporated steam –you have lovely condensate –feed water, fresh water.

A simple beast

But the charge is right, there is something wrong.

A hairline crack has developed in the funnel, right at the join of the filter, and now, now, (who bloody knows why –it just does) it cracks –crack wide

For the poor operator, one moment the level is nice in the chamber, the next, its green, flooded, and the gauges are going crazy.
Fortunately, he is quick to act, ‘dumping the made to bilge’

For the next two hours Hirate will try to get the Mother F456387 B*&^tch to go.
No success.

And once again, the space reverberates to the charges singlular opinion of the matter

“Its F$%#ed!

“OK, lets get the inspection hatch off –and see what in the hell is going on”

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 286
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/6/2011 7:25:31 AM   
thegreatwent

A tense fun read. Thank you for your efforts. I just read all the way through and Truked up may enter my vocabulary.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 287
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/7/2011 5:26:23 AM   
1275psi

26/3/42

From
Pacific fleet HQ
To
Tarawa occupation force

Our SS patrols report multiple sightings Japanese carrier aviation south east of Truk.
All intelligence reports that bulk of Combined fleet and first fleet have deployed to Truk
Am rushing Sea bee units to you.

You are ordered to fortify and hold tarawa against all odds
Good luck

“Howling mad Smith’ re reads the flimsy.
He has been handed some tough tasks in his time, but this, this potato was red hot!

Akagis bridge

‘Swift eagle has cleared into the Indian ocean, and radio silence is enforced. Our diversionary force approaches Darwin –and has been sighted.
A large convoy approaches Tarawa”

Yamamoto considers the brief. Around him the pacific stretches smooth and calm, and empty. Combined fleet is in position, the chess pieces in place. The Queen unsighted.
Very good

“Captain Hara! We have come a long way on this little fishing trip. Time to bring in the net and to see what we catch. Make course for tarawa please”

Okura circles swift eagle, preparing to come into circuit.
Every bone in his body aches, his back aches, his bum is numb, his fingers numb, his arms sore.
It has been a long, long patrol this one, a long patrol circling the fleet at 2000 feet under the hot sun.
Swift eagle is near the equator now –and 2000 feet is not nearly enough to escape the heat, or the humidity, and Okura (and his crew) are literally wet with sweat, the heavy flying suits a terrible item to wear for this low altitude flying, the canopies merely magnifying the rays.

For the hundredth time he wipes his brow, rubs his chin –the bloody helmet strap annoying .
He is tired, he hot, he is cranky
‘Zuiho is flashing us sir”
‘And?”
‘deck open, come in”
‘About bloody time…….

He joins circuit.

Set flaps
Set speed.
Trim
‘harnesses everyone?”
Good.
Gear down, throttle, why are these beasts so bloody awkward with the gear down?
OK - down wind
Speed
Speed
Angle, angle – angle is good……….

Zuiho passes down his Port wing, altitude now 1000 feet, disappears under the port wing
Stick, rudder over together, keep it crisp, keep it smooth, skidding a little

Flying the cross leg now the deck now again on his Port quarter , and………
Turn onto final –flaps fully out now, lining up the lights, got them, green, green, green, good.

500 yards to go, 400, sinking a little, sinking a little, throttle, throttle……

100 yards.
Red, red, ……….too low, too low!
‘Ahm, TRUK! ‘ Sorry guys, going around!”
Full throttle!
Beast bellowing, deck underneath, faces looking up –crap, Hidaka shaking his head –and climbing away again, and now the sweatt is a river down his spine

And try again

This time, down –hard –but safe…………
And they all breathe again.
No matter how many times he does it …this piddling deck never gets any bigger…

Wearily they climb out, he hands his sword, his flight board, his bits and pieces to his crew –shakes his head at Hidaka –no contacts- and makes his way to the ready room, already stripping the flight suit from his body –aware now that the deck is a literal furnace –the sun glaring down.

Ready room, and washroom.
This he has been looking forward to for hours…..
Okura turns the tap – and nothing happens
‘Hey! What the hell is going on with the water!”
And from the ready room, Diogawa answers, his voice too full of disgust
“Minobe has turned it of. Restrictions”
‘restrictions?”
‘yes –some bloody thing has broken again down stairs”

Okura stares at the non functioning tap ‘But I need a wash!’
Diogawa pokes his head in, wrinkles his nose, laughs ‘ yes –no argument there you stinky barsted!”

Equatorial waters
Waters where sea temperature hits 34 C
Waters where the wind sometimes never blows –leaving a mirror calm
Waters where the sun beats down for 16 hours a day

Hot waters
Very, very hot waters

On the flight deck – the frying pan. The sun blazes, and even though she is making 16 knots –her self made breeze makes little difference to happy phoenix’s deck.
It still stinks of fuel, of engine exhausts.
The great radials as they warm up add to the heat, the unpleasantness .
There is no shelter, no shade
Like dogs, the men pant, and sweat, and work –and drink enormous quantities of water –and remain thirsty

Below decks –the sauna
Dozens of fans, dozens of ventilation systems -and all they do is move the humidity from one corner, to another
In the galley especially –nestled forward of the Port boiler room –the walls run with condensation, and the cooks whites stick like wet sheets to bodies that are slick.

The cookers cook rice today – the water boiling –adding to the humidity.
And here too, again, and again, the men reach for the canteens, and remain thirsty

The spaces

Hell now.
The lower hanger sits at 110 degrees F
Open the hatch to the boiler room –and the extra heat blasts your face.
To touch the ladder with bare hands is to burn them.
You will take a breath, and hold it as you descend to the “cooler’ bottom plates.

The top plates – if you stay for long, hover at 150 to 160 degrees F
The bottom, 130 to 140.
The men huddle under the fans, and struggle , literally, to stay conscious, to stay alive

Work takes place in spurts. You cool under the fan, you drink. You gird yourself, and venture away from the fan, and do your work –feeling your skin dry out, your blood pound in your head. You will gasp, and all energy will drain away –sucked away by this viscous heat. You will do your task, or some of it –and then retreat –gasping under the fan.
Some body else’s turn…………….

Six men work on the vap
The inspection door is off, and a young mans feet stick out of it – the only one skinny enough to fit.
“Pull me out!”
He emerges –body white with salt –face the colour of beetroot - “the funnel is cracked wide –huge crack”
‘The main baffle?’
‘yes”

It as he suspected. Damn. A big job. A dockyard job –normally. But not now.
‘What will we do charge?’

What do you bloody think we will do?, go home?.
‘Fix it of bloody course!” Alright – 3teams -4 hours about only. I want good men on this –Okano, Hirate –crap –need some muscle too –get Lurch as well. First thing, get the condensate pipe off the top – get the strainer out – that will do for a start –then we will think about the baffle……..”

Anything else?, have I forgotten anything?. Its going to be bloody hot –very bloody hot up there on top of this bitch –no fans there at all. Going to need a block and tackle too………..and, where do I get another bloody baffle from? –think about that when we get to it………
Alright then, lets do this, God, need a drink………

“alright then –stop gawking, lets go -! Get some spanners –and a bloody big hammer!”

Captains Log

Have taken swift eagle to the North of the invasion fleet –if enemy carriers are about, this is where Hidaka tells me he would like to be. I personally would like to have the cruisers here………
Have entered the Indian ocean, rough seas last night, brilliant calm today – no contacts thank the heavens.
Both replenishment task forces too away safely
Ship is on water restrictions, Engineering tells me they have developed a “significant defect’ on main evaporator. I suppose we will all just stink then..

Operations Log

Continued search pattern
Shoho on standby with full strike – I have elected to send all Zuiho’s kates on search –un armed -to allow easy launching, greater range, quicker turn around.
Nil incidents today.

Charges diary

Bloody vap!
Heavy expenditures last night after blows, feed now 65%, fresh 60 %
Minobe has somehow won the skipper over for water restrictions , a minor miracle that!

This is going to be a big job……
Had four men faint while on watch today –have instructed water tenders to do 15 about –doubled up the watches, cancelled DC patrols to fill the gaps.
New seaman bloody useless –three of the four faints were new guys –I think we broke
them!

27/3/42
Extract from Shattering the Sword-a cantona production
Tarawa had been taken with out a shot from the Japanese.
But now, as the Americans begin to fortify the outpost, the true exposure of the base is revealed

A Japanese ‘Wolfpack” (a real misnomer, in no way were these vessels operating in concert unlike the Germans) attacks a reinforcement convoy.
In a brutal night, a transport and 2 cargo ships are sunk, along with vital supplies.
It is a small action, in the scheme of the war-but it marks for History what would become later known as “the long struggle’
The battle for Tarawa had begun

Zuiho’s stokers enter day two of their ‘Long struggle’
What drives men?
What gives them the strength to tackle the impossible?
Pride?
Stubborness?
Sheer necessity?

Or is it –as this battle is becoming – the sheer determination to not be beaten by the challenge presented?

Much drives men –especially in war. Never let your companions down. Never let yourself down.
And then there is the Japanese psyche –how dishonourable to admit one cannot do this –this simple task?

The great lid of the evaporator is off –swung aside – skinny bodies,bent over it –patiently scraping the old gaskets of it – bodies literally cooking.
The strainer too, is out – and now two men work on the Brocken baffle
Okano holds the spanner, lurch swings the hammer
The clanging begins –the attack on the ring of one inch bolts has begun.
Clang!, Clang!, Craang!’

A stream of curses fills the space
The head of the bolt has sheered off……………

What drives men?
Many things
But soon, down here, in this version of hell, the most common, the most efficient of motivators will drive these men.
Hatred

There is no way on Gods earth they will stop now, not until this bitch works again
“Get me a truking drill!”

Zuiho heels slightly as she turns away from the tankers stern.
As hot as it is, as hard as the glare is, these seas make refuelling a simple task.

Hasegawa leans over the bridge wing, and yells down to Minobe, how did we do Engines?

“Fuel again at 98% sir!’
Good –at least THAT is no problem –yet
He leans over, the sun beating at his neck.. “And the latest on the water?”
‘feed at 60%, fresh 58%!’
‘And the repairs?’
Minobe holds his hand across his brow against the sun, looking up at his captain
It hides his face well….

‘Progressing”

( editors note -this bit about the game I love –but not right now! Incident happened yesterday –but I left it for today for the AAR)

There is no doubt –for those of us who have experienced it –that there is something intoxicating about being on the deck of a powerful warship going at speed.

There is something almost animalistic about the sheer power, the vibration, the wind, spray, noise, as the great engines open up –and 16000 tons of metal cleave the oceans.
The Captain of the Tone is only human, and as his cruiser pulls out from behind the tanker, he fullfills “tradition”
Full ahead all!, hard to Port!
Break away…………….Smooth seas, creaming white wakes, churning seas, power, power, power……….

Tone circles, cutting through the task force, heals around –and something terrible goes wrong

I suppose, now days –it would make a classic U tube moment

Tone Crashes into the side of Chikuma –and momentarily the two ships are locked together, side by side, the classic side swipe.
The damage is fearful………..

Hasegawa watches his crippled cruisers fade over the horizon, fading into the dusk.
With them fades any chance of proper support for the troops during the landing…

But he has no choice
Yamamto calls for swift eagle to drag allied eyes to the west –while he lurks in the east.
This madness must continue…………….

28/3/42

His head pounds
Take a breath. Take a breath. Hirate tries to steady the drill.
Come on you bitch………..
22 of the 24 bolts are out.
Sweat has been spilt
Blood too
Knuckles bruised
Men have fainted, cursed –and laughed.
Sheer madness in this heat.
But if it is madness –and you cannot laugh at it –then you truly are……….

On Akagi

Captain Hara lies in his bunk –a classic western in his hand. The baddy is definitely in trouble –a long ride ahead of him. A terrible book really –but some how he cannot resist these descriptions of endless vista’s

‘Captain, Bridge”
The Voice tube interrupts
With a sigh he puts the book down –am I never to finish this?
‘yes?’
‘RF reports a submarine broadcasting to our west sir”

Hara thinks
‘Close?”
‘Enough sir”
‘Thankyou –let me know if any thing is sighted”

He returns to his book.
The baddie –he thinks , is in trouble. But not nearly as much as Yamamoto’s plan is now. Surprise has been lost………….

Hara, smiling, climbs the short ladders to his bridge. It is evening, book finished to satisfaction, another day with out incident. Akagi operating well.

“message from ssI-7 sir”

“Read it”

At this moment Yamamoto too enters the bridge, face alert –excited.
Gamblers face –Hara can see it – Yamamoto thinks he has drawn an Ace……
‘message reads – “have torpedoed Colorado class BB, 40 miles due east, Tarawa
Stop.
‘Have been attacked by carrier borne aircraft ‘ message ends.

Then again, maybe he has………….

‘All ships – battle speed one!”

Zuiho water watch
Feed 48%
Fresh 42%

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 288
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/7/2011 4:02:28 PM   
kaleun

Bites nails eagerly.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 289
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/7/2011 4:14:11 PM   
pws1225

quote:

ORIGINAL: kaleun

Bites nails eagerly.

+1

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 290
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/7/2011 5:51:30 PM   
british exil

quote:

Bites nails eagerly.

quote:

quote:

Bites nails eagerly.

+1

What fingernails??? mine have long been bitten off.

Great AAR,

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 291
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/8/2011 5:34:05 AM   
1275psi

29/3/42

The funnel/baffle –whatever you wish to call it, now rests on the quarterdeck, out side the Shipwrights shop.
The CPO Shipwright views it with some disdain –“Charge, you really must stop breaking crap” he jokes.
The baffle is a complicated shape, –and the crack –totally salt impregnated, is impossible to re weld .
A new one will have to be manufactured..
Out of Curiosity , Hasegawa too is here in the workshop –totally out of place in his clean white uniform, amongst the dirty overalls, stripped down burly bodies.
He views the round piece of metal, and feels some what powerless.

The equation, for him, is very simple. If the vap is not repaired, water will run out, and Zuiho will have to return.
The Perth operation must be cancelled.
And he will ignominiously fail –and disappear into history shamed.

“Is it fixable Chief?”
The Chippee looks up –genuinely surprised .”Sir, this is a warship –anything is fixable!’
And then, as he and the Charge bend over the plate again, a whispered conversation ‘ Can you really do it?”
‘Buggar off Charge –yes –if I can find enough copper………”

It’s a terrible invasion
Full of yelling, screaming, indignation, and terrible resolve
The battle goes for some 20 minutes –but the outcome is inevitable –might, at times, really is right.

Six burly stokers enter the galley –and despite the protestations, the threats of violence from the head cook, they
go to work.
Zuiho sailed with 6 operating copper rice cookers.
Now she will have to feed her men with but two…………

Herbiesan takes up the phone
‘Ahh, Minister for production?”
‘Yes Sir”
“You might be pleased to know –Palembang is ours”
“and the refinery –the oil?”
‘’Intact my friend, Intact. The war is going well again don’t you think?’

Akagi greets the dawn with excitement.
On her decks –a packed naval strike awaits.
On her bridge –Captain Hara wears his steel hat –a sure sign that action is pending
Her guns are manned, and she cleaves the water at 27 knots –battle flag streaming.

Over the Horizon, unseen, a great web of search planes is spreading, covering a thousand square miles of ocean around Tarawa
From Kwaljien, the great sea planes too add to the search arcs.

Mobile fleet seeks the battle.

But, as so often happens in war –the day wear on, the excitement wanes.

The Oceans east of Tarawa are frustratingly empty.

At Midday Yamamoto calls a conference.
Disappointment is heavy on his face.
“Gentlemen, I regret that we have been sprung”

Silence falls in Hara’s cabin.
“what then?” Hara asks the obvious.
So much has been based on surprise. The allied carriers were meant to have been caught, Swift eagle……….
‘What of the Perth operation sir? –surely now its pointless…….”
Yamamoto shakes his head. “That, I am afraid, is out of our hands now. Its an Army show. Hasegawa must go ahead.”
More silence –around them Akagi rings to the sounds of its work.
‘We go to plan B. If we cannot trap the enemy carriers –let us see how badly they want to retain Tarawa………….

He regretfully takes up his Cap –“ a damnable disappointment I know. Return to cruising speed captain, I have to contact a lot of people…….”

From
South eastern Command
To

#$@!@ unit
$#@! Unit
#$%^&* unit
%^&*%$# unit
1st fleet-amphib lift command
6th fleet
4th fleet

Above units to commence Planning and all preparations for amphib assault operation against Tarawa.

The ready room –normally a pretty smelly place –truly is unpleasant today
The men are tired –another day of fruitless searching.

‘Just how bloody slow are those transports?’
‘I am sure enough for the soldiers, they are fast enough –every day gets them closer to battle you know”
‘Good point. “
A long pause
‘Does any one know at all what we expect there at Perth?”

A silence again.

Kurihama bends down to the small table, takes up the pamphlet there.
It’s a small document, distributed through out the ship, one of a series produced for the troops – (the jungle is your friend, let the enemy feed you, protection against malaria, attacking if your ship is sunk before the beach)

This one is labelled “Australia’

‘let me read this to you…..and I quote…. The Kangaroo is a large Bipod animal, frequently nearly 5 foot tall. It has powerful hind legs and a great solid tail –and is capable of tremendous leaps.
It defends itself by using its hind legs to kick and disembowel its enemies.”
Gravely-in mock seriousness Kurihama adds “ I suspect the Aussies are a bit like that –only armed with machine guns……….”

Zuiho water watch

Feed 48%
Fresh water 33%

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 292
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/8/2011 8:32:48 AM   
herwin

Reminds me of working with submariners. They took pride that they could fix or do without anything that broke. I suspect they had compilers and source code on board for all their software!

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 293
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/8/2011 4:45:32 PM   
dr.hal

I've been reading the AAR and I too must give it praise. Although I was a deck officer (spending MANY hours on a bridge keeping the world safe from democracy) I certainly know of the snipe's world and the concept of water hours. On my last ship (DDG-21 as the weapons officer) the minute we left port (Pearl) we were on water hours, the feed supply came first! Then the coffee. Thanks for being realistic about this AAR. I think I can safely say that we are all interested in how well this little ship will do. Hal

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 294
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/9/2011 5:42:06 AM   
1275psi

Corporal Harrison - Bluey to his mates, had always listened to his father-God rest his soul- Son, he had said so many times -when the wind starts blowing, and the clouds start to gather -clever people-meaning him - they get in first

And he had been right.
At 30 years of age, with the clouds of war gathering in Europe, Bluey ahas announced to his wife - time to do something dear about the future - jumped on his bike, and peddled down to the nearly deserted Fremantle Artillery regiment -and signed on.

It being 1938 -and war certaintly a million miles away from ever happening in Fremantle, it had not been to hard to (what with his background in civil Engineering) to swing a draft to the local coastal battery regiment.
Things had been perfect - a cushy posting to Rottenest island, where most of the day was spent chasing wildlife, fishing, and occasionally testing, practising on the two big 9 inch guns.
(They never got fired of course -ammunition being too precious)
Then, on Fridays -the ferry home.

Then the war came -and stuffed it all up.
Some bright spark decides that the local battery of 6 inch guns near the barracks needed to be moved to Lieghton Hieghts..........and somebody else remebers his qualifications..........

Today Bluey -still on his bike, peddles towards work.
Yesterday was a very good day - 4 of the six guns are now in place on the hill -barrells directly overlooking City beach - infildating? ( was that the bloody army word -pointing down the beaches length!) it.
The shoulder of the hill providing protection from the sea.
Yesterday -a firing - and too everyones surprise -a good one.
Accurate -a good rate of fire.............

But today -well, he just knew what that old fart in charge would be doing - what they all would be doing.
Digging tunnels, underground stores, turning the place into a fortress........

Firing those guns was good for moral- but really -who in the hell really expected the japanese to come here?

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 295
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/9/2011 5:43:08 AM   
1275psi

30/3/42

Zuiho leading task force swift eagle now plows through a brilliant blue green sea. A stiff breeze now blows, and she rises and falls over a steady 2 metre swell, capped by numerous white caps.
Temperatures, mercifully, are falling almost by the hour. The great mass of ships press on through the middle of no where.

Few know exactly where they are –but the Navigators measure carefully every day –many, many miles to the east, “the corner’ of Australia has slid past. Broome, Geraldton may, or may not support search planes, Hasegawa is taking no chance.

Swift eagle has to be spotted at some time –but not just yet.

Work on the vap continues steadily -the stokers creed –universal I am sure in every fleet – the impossible we can do –miracles just take longer.
The baffle nears completion.

Of course –as important as this work is –the rest of the ship does not pause waiting for its turn

The Stokers have a set of boiler swings to do today (more water blown out the bottom after shut down), a cooling pump to rebuild, the usual collection of small defects.
Hidaka has his planes –still searching endlessly on search –and his hanger crews too slave long, long hours keeping them in the air.

Hasegawa takes a promotion board exam for the four midshipmen onboard. Besides being shocked-again –at how young these men appear to him –they please him, and surprisingly, they all pass.
If Zuiho survives this mission, there is going to be quite a celebration in Soerabaya.

So the routines continue.
Probably the only thing onboard today of real note occurs at meal time.
It is very apparent that the Engineers rations are not quite the same size as everyone elses……

The war, however continues elsewhere.
South of Singapore, there is a very timely reminder of the sort of nation swift eagle will soon battle

HMAS Vampire –a tiny WW1 era destroyer, encounters Light cruisers Jintsu, Kashi –and attacks –and only stops her charge under the bows of the Jintsu, driven under, and smashed to pieces.

112th regiment –Hosho at its very tip –continues to push into Burma, attempting to right hook through the jungle around Pegu.
The difficulties of warfare here now are already becoming apparent –rations already are short, unless Rangoon falls –there will be no Northern offensive

But Zuiho knows none of this of course
She plows slowly south, speeding up only to launch and recover – getting further and further from home –and steadily smellier, and smellier.

Zuiho water watch
Feed 45%
Fresh water 30%

All washing banned. Potable water for drinking only
Ship moves to hard tack rations to conserve water
3 sailors caught wasting water –and charged.

< Message edited by 1275psi -- 2/9/2011 5:46:34 AM >

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 296
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/10/2011 5:37:14 AM   
1275psi

1/4/42

Whilst the battle below moves towards its finish, other battles are taking place on Zuiho

In a way –as hard as the work is, the men below have the easier job
They can see , now, what confronts them, they can analyse it, confront it, defeat it.
And now, as the lid gores back onto the top of the vap, they can see victory approach.

For others, it is a far different battle. This one is internal, unseen, hidden, and I think, far, far harder

Soon the men in the ready room will have to board their planes –and go into battle.
What will they find there?. What confronts them? How many will return? –if any?

Hidaka stalks the hangers –checking again, and again his birds –has the plan overlooked anything?. Are they all ready?
What if perth is protected by modern fighters? –what then? –does he close –or attempt to close the fields –or silence shore guns?
And what if there are Carriers about?
So he stalks the hanger. Whatever happens –his birds will do their best for the Empire

One thing for sure –if this does succeed, sans any heavy support –what of the battleship then?
But he fears that soon he will lose too many friends……..

He does not sleep well these nights –it is probably the hardest job of all –watching fellow flyers depart at your command – and too wait to see how many come back….

Nashiguchi (who again is not enjoying this growing swell0, does what he can to distract the mind from what is ahead.
He reads –reads a lot.
It worries him that he still has not proven himself in battle, and is painfully aware that some see him as weak because of his faith.
He barely thinks of his possible death these days –proving himself is what matters.
A kill would solve so many problems…….

Ogawa worries too, not about death –he accepts this as inevitable –it’s the roster that fills him with doubt
9 zeros – 12 pilots.
Somebody is going to miss out.
What would his father say to that – he can hear it now “typical that my son sits onboard while others fly…….” he has three kills already – and it means nothing to him. What should fill him with confidence only reinforces the doubt that he lives with every day
Now, he knows, others expect so much of him when he enters that cockpit.
It is a burden he struggles to carry.

Diogawa feels excitement.
For some, war is an adventure.
He is a fighter pilot –let another chance to fight come!

Okura spends his days on patrol –as all the Kate pilots do – endless laps looking at nothing.
Endless laps for most
But not for Okura

Taiyo -the little escort carrier –her decks packed with nates under canvas –hates him
Every day –Okura’s kate will slice through the convoy –banking, sweeping, weaving, conducting mock attacks on them.
It is a terrible risk – everyone agrees, either he will cart wheel in-mis judging a run, or plow into some poor plodding transport.
Or –the most likely –some idiot gunner is going to mistake him for an enemy…..

There are three men however who support him 100% -his two crew, and Hidaka.
Okura spends his days thinking mainly just one thing.
Gutting another ship with his fish…

Kurihama – Kurihama scowls, and bites, and growls.
His crew –airborne and in the hanger –quietly hate him
Many suspect a terrible thing –this war has nothing to do with the empire.For Kurihama., its all about satisfying his sadism.

Extract from ‘Shattering the Sword ‘ a Cantona production.

Clarke field –the key to the allied defences in Luzon, collapse. The shattered units flee south towards Bataan for the last stand.
They have done well –these amateurs –they have made 14th Army bleed………

2/4/42
Hasegawa picks at his breakfast
At home, on the rare occasions he got home, eating breakfast with his daughters was always the best part of the day . How he missed them!.
Of everything that command brings, this –this separation of command – meals are the worst bit, the eating alone. It reduced meals to just something to be consumed –not shared.

There is a knock on the door

‘ah, Minobe? –no problems I hope?’
Minobe is sweating, obviously just from up below.
He enters, and places a large glass of water on the table
‘Compliments of the Charge and his gang. The first litre produced”
‘The vap is fixed then?”
“yes sir –it is”
“Good –its important that men go into battle clean no?’

Zuiho water watch -feed 30%, fresh at 20% -but rising again

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 297
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/10/2011 5:38:06 AM   
1275psi

2/4/42

The tannoy calls, loudly, insistently
‘Captain requested bridge”

And minutes later

“Lieutenant Hidaka, requested bridge”

In the hanger decks, on the flight deck, and through out the ship, mens eyes meet each other.
On the Starboard ‘balcony’, several of the fighter pilots also look each other in the eye, and then make their way into the ready room –and begin dressing.

Hasegawa hands the latest signal to Hidaka
‘What do you think?’

From
AMC Asaka Maru
To
Combined fleet

Have encountered and chased enemy convoy -6 un escorted AKs – unable to engage in heavy weather -am continuing pursuit.
Stop

‘Where is she?”
“exactly 120 miles due east Perth, it will be interesting to see what she flushes out”

3/4/42

Asaka Maru has been sent to die.
Her Captain has accepted the mission calmly, knowing exactly what he is being sent for –to draw out the enemy.
All night he attempts to make the enemy pay –but the weather, and a violent change of course by the convoy defeats him -and dawn finds him 100 miles due West of Perth.

Two small enemy destroyers haul over the horizon, DD Pope, DD Isis, and battle is joined

Swift eagle listens to the morse, and can do nothing to help.
It should make a stirring novel –the brave merchant raider battling off the destroyers –but there is nothing stirring to relate here –just reality, grimness, and death.
Asaka’s gunnery is poor –landing a single shot on the Isis, the enemies good.

The flow of morse stops suddenly, and never resumes
‘So now we know –Perth has some teeth”
‘yes –and no matter how small –they are undoubtedly sharp –we will have to eliminate them first”
Captain and operations officer share the same thought. Only a month ago an entire Japanese convoy was destroyed by a small force such as this. Hasegawa counts the destroyers about him –and wonders what would happen if a cruiser –or two –got in amongst this lot one dark night?

No wonder he lies awake at night…………

4/4/42

‘New course140’
“new course 140”
Zuiho turns towards Perth, the run in has begun

Her tanks are full, her guns loaded.
In her hangers, the strike is waiting.

In the pacific, Combined fleet slides again in towards Tarawa, again an enemy fleet – if it is that , has been spotted south of it .

To the north of Darwin, Nachi, Ashigari, and a small task force of empty transports also slide into search range –

And at dusk, word is passed around to Zuiho’s lookouts “we are now in enemy air range –eyes peeled!’

And Yamamoto receives the following from signals intelligence

‘have intercepted a message from pacific fleet to all units – enemy fleet spotted”
“yes” growls Yamamoto “ but which damn fleet!”

Fuchida flies
The stick is firm, vibrating in his hand, the engine a bellowing comforting growl around him, ahead of him, in him.
For the thousandth time, you check your six, check your 3 companions, bouncing and wobbling through this clouded sky

It is cold, getting colder, and the oxygen is dry, and tasteless, and your mouth is dry too –and your stomach empty –and tight.
You climb, whisps of cloud sweeping past –and then, brilliant susnshine – and there –there –ahead, above –the bombers!

A thrill passes through you- and then to work, mind racing, calculating angles, intercepts –and you climb, and even from here –you see the guns swivel your way
They are beautiful birds these B17’s –big, beautiful –and terrible to behold

Abruptly –you and your prey bounce into the upper air –and now, so many miles below –they can look up –and follow if you live or die by your snowy white trail..

The bombers are ahead, below, and still you climb, controls mushy now –pushing , pushing, the bombers fading into smaller crosses –sun glinting on wings, canopies……….guns.

The world up here, is so enormous………

You rock your wings, and lead the attack

Stick over hard, rudder jammed in, peeling down, and you let her invert into the dive, looking “up”, head straining back, and the dive is a shriek, and she looms, looms, growing larger, larger, huge!, huge!, and the trigger is squeezed, and tracer reaches out, and the great shape flashes past –and the controls are like Iron, and non responsive, throttle back, desperate kick, begin to slide, and she slows, and you can pull her, pull her back up from the dive, face straining, blood rushing down, the world closes in, grey, grey, and you pull out, turning climbing, ready to try again.

There were 6 bombers –now –now there are 5 –and all four of you still live.

Did you hit? –did you bring him down?

They are fast these B17’s –and another attack is not going to happen.
Not today………

Fuchida -47th sentai –claims a ‘possible’

Hirate, Okano sit on the quarter deck, drinking tea.
It is a fine sight, this one today –the staely lines of ships streaming into the dusk –the destroyers on the flanks –and the other carriers on the horizon.
The seas are calming, and tomorrow –tomorrow, fine weather

“have you ever seen a battle?” Hirate asks
‘other than that attack on us?”
“Yes –no I mean a land battle.”
‘No, I haven’t. But from what I hear – they are not pretty”
A long silence
“Do you think they will succeed?’

He does not need to say who they is – they have brought a lot of men a long way.
“We must trust our soldiers. We must trust their fighting spirit. I suspect” he throws the rest of his cold tea over the side “that this mission is a do, or die”

Instructions to soldiers

A glorious chapter beckons you
Determination, fighting spirit will allow us to prevail
Push forward at all costs, inflict confusion upon the enemy.
Bypass strong points –attack from the rear

Should your ship be sunk –do not panic –swim to shore –carry the attack
If your officers fall –continue the attack
Our fighting spirit will crush the enemy

From
Hasegawa
To
All captains

Final brief
Attack will proceed as planned
Should your ship be struck by gunfire –beach it.
Make all effort to turn your ship to protect unloading troops.
There will be no turning back
Burning ships must attempt to cover undamaged ships.
If we get the troops ashore –we must prevail

Good luck –and boldness!

From
Hidaka
Operations orders

We will attack all, and any shipping encountered
There will be minimum CAP – maximum naval strike
All kates to be ready to launch by 0400 hrs – 500 lb bombs as per briefing
Good luck.

Bluey rides to his guns –and almost crashes his bike –startled by the snarl of p40 fighters careening overhead.
They are impressive beasts, those birds………….

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 298
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/10/2011 12:45:17 PM   
PaxMondo

Ahhh ... how does it play out? 

Pax

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 299
RE: The little ship that could. - 2/11/2011 12:10:54 AM   
kaleun

quote:

Her tanks are full, her guns loaded.
In her hangers, the strike is waiting.

There is such a Haiku feel to your lyrics, err... I mean your prose.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The little ship that could. Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI