Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ouch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: ouch Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ouch - 10/28/2011 11:35:05 AM   
pws1225

More good stuff from 1275psi! I always look forward to reading your newest installments over morning coffee. Many thanks and keep up the fine work.

Regards, Paul

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 751
RE: ouch - 10/29/2011 3:50:14 AM   
1275psi

13/12/42

Zuiho remains nestled alongside, another piece of the chessboard of the war. (I wonder what piece? A knight perhaps?)

What was there day like? Would you like to come to our little ship again, for just a day?
OK, no, you can go home again when you like tomorrow, just remember, these poor saps cannot!
You are going to woken from your hammock at 0515 today, young man (no bunk for you…..Zuiho keeps gaining guns and new machinery and bits and pieces, and thus more men seemingly every port visit, bunks ran out ages ago), and you are going to dress cheek to jowel with them.
Lash that hammock there!, and secure your Crap!
Are your boots polished?. And where is your Torch, your wheel spanner, your adjustable wrench, your 6 inch rule. Heavens, call yourself a Stoker!

Ok, Breakfast?
No, my friend, not for this mess today, not yet.
Follow me.
Out of the mess, heading forward, past the Aviation support shop, the machine shop, into the lower hanger
Oh , good, the aft lift is down, lets ride it up ney?

The flight deck is a bit dewy today.
Now, unless you want a beating, DO NOT slacken of in the calisthenics!
ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR!

How long?. Just for 30 minutes.
We don’t do them at sea. In fact, sea is really a whole lot better. None of this rubbish, just our machinery.

Feel better?
OK, now we can go and eat.

Yes, that’s right, a lot of ships , our opponents the British, still do mess deck messing, Zuiho is different. We have canteen/galley messing. I like it. Less mess where we live, more room, and the food arrives hot.
Not so good if you miss the meal hours.
Like the food?. Better than the grunts ashore get, that is for sure. Sailors don’t starve.

I am finished. You are not? What?, you need more than four or five minutes to eat, greedy slob, look at all those guys waiting for a seat.
Yes, it will ruin you for life this rushing a meal deal, but what can we do?

Alright, I am going for a crap, see you at the Muster .0715, forecastle.
You did not need to know that?
Hah!
There are no secrets on a ship.

This is where we muster every day when alongside. Us plebs at the back, the NCO’s to starboard, the Chiefs to Port.
That’s the Charge, he’s OK, if you keep out of his way.
Will he talk to Us?
Only if you Truk up

That’s Tan.
He’s as green in the ways of the navy as you can expect from a conscript, but, and it’s a big but, you should see him make stuff!
We are lucky to have him. Our last engineer beat men every day, never seen Tan raise his voice.
Whatever you do, don’t let him down.

I wonder what they have for us today.
Ugg. Squeezing that Mother %$#$%&^& 1A boiler today. The tube must be welded
Could be worse I suppose, some of the guys wanted you to do tank cleans, but you won’t learn anything doing that.

That’s good, and bad.
Planning to sail 28th of December. And a sports day planned.

OK, its colors……..

OK, lets go to work.

Yep, these are our fighters, our eagles. Shiny huh?. Don’t touch!
The mechanics are our brothers. They do good work. But don’t ask em for bits, or whatever. I think they look down on us a bit.

1A boiler.
The bitch.
You know how I said you will learn stuff, well, I lied.
Here is your sledge hammer. These are the mud drum nuts. Once we start pumping the boiler up –that’s right-start squeezing it, -I want you to start flogging these barsted up.
Iota here will hold the spanner.
Now, to work.

Lunch friend?
Lets go.

Yes, the rice is good, I do hear that japans harvest is poor, I wonder if they are eating this well?
Want to come out to the balcony?

That’s where the pilots gather, this is our bit.
Its nice out here, in the breeze, looking at the fleet.
Yamato is a giant isn’t it.?
No, I would not like to serve on her, a stoker would never see the sun!
Yep, back to work

Put you back into it!

Hello Charge!. No, its not leaking.
Do youi think we can get it lit off tonight?
I hope so.

No, we won’t be watch keeping on it tonight, there are a couple of bad boys Charge and Tan has ‘volunteered’

Yes, now we can shower.
Enjoy it…we don’t very often have potable water.
And stop being shy!, we all have seen it all before.

Spare any soap?
Thanks!

You have got an hour, then be back here in the mess, in your night rig, evening rounds.

Crap!. That!/, that is the fire alarm you dolt!. Exercise.
Come on then!, our station is forward diesel!.
Move!. Move!. Move!

Shut the hatch!, and next bloody time you will remember to duck yes?, you will have a nasty lump there I think.

What now?
We do what we always do, wait for crap to happen

At last. Alright, still have rounds. I want to write a letter after that, evening meal is at 1800.
And am I going to the movie in the hanger.? Of course!
After that, maybe some cards…….
But you are going to go to bed, already?. That was hardly what I would call a busy day my new friend…………..

Yamamoto returns the salutes of the men in front of him
‘gentlemen’

why do submariners always smell?

Japans doctrine has been that our SS arm will hunt exclusively the enemy capital ships, principally the carriers.
Well, there are few of them at the moment to hunt’
Smiles.
After all, did not one of those carriers fall to them?

‘so, I have decided to give what many of you want. You may all sail as soon as you feel ready. 4th fleet will assign areas of patrol. If it floats men, you may, for the next three months, sink it”

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 752
RE: ouch - 10/30/2011 8:58:58 AM   
1275psi

Oh, many thanks to pws 1225, and to any one else who reads this.
cantona has, as usual before a big op, gone on holidays for a week. I am one week behind the game, so, I will have to be careful that we don't run out of days to write about!

The last turn we played has the fleet sail............typical

In the meantime......
(blood thirsty buggars can come back new years eve, when the shooting starts (LOL))

14/12/42

For the stokers, it’s a stunning day

Charge has the 1A boiler chemically dosed at 0800 hrs, and it is lit off 15 minutes later

No problems are encountered

By 0900, it is online, a TG utilizing the steam, the evaporator producing
By 1200, chemistry is steady, and all feed is back to full.
No problems
He orders shutdown for 1400, and by 1600, the plant is again shut down, the ship on shore services.
No problems.

And that, to them, is what is so stunning.
Things should just not go so well.

It is almost strange territory this, being defect free.
Tan is pleased. “Ok then. Inform the men, we are going ashore as a department tomorrow, sports day.”

“And the sport, baseball?”

Tan, for probably the first time in the Charges experience, scowls “ No. I did not get dragged into the military willingly you know, but now that I am here, I will embrace it. Kendo tomorrow. “
He smiles now. “Count your teeth Charge, we are going to do this properly”

Diogawa wanders into the ready room. Food, as usual, at hand.
“Did you hear what that engineer Tan has organized for tomorrow?”
“Another layer of soot on the flight deck?’
“Three feet of fuel in the mess, not two?’
‘A spare water tank so we can have a proper bath?’

“No, you idiots. A Kendo tournoment”

And PO Okura, in the corner, deeply immersed in a book, is suddenly very, very interested. “ Do you think we could enter?’
“Why, who do you want to fight?”

There is something in the voice, a hardness that makes many look up at him

‘Oh, I don’t know, the new guy perhaps?’
“Our glorious dictators Son?”
‘Yes, him”
Low Whistles ……
‘Now, that is ballsey…….”

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 753
RE: ouch - 10/31/2011 9:39:40 AM   
1275psi

15/12/42

In kendo, an area of battle must be given. In it, you are totally focused on your opponent. . Two aggressors enter. Only one shall leave victorious……….

“Gentlemen, the area of proposed operations. . You know it well. This area of the South west pacific, boundaries being Nauru island, Tarawa, Makin, Mili, and Maleolop…………”

In kendo, the two opponents attempt to strike various parts of the opposition, mainly the side of the head, the fore arms, the sides of the body. Each strike is worth points. Various points can be deducted, or added, through the attitude displayed by the struck, the strikee…………….

“each of these atolls are important, but some more so than others. Nevertheless, all must be struck with equal ferocity and aggression.. There can be no doubt about any results……..”

kendo opponents practice “the way of the sword”. A great bamboo pole is the sword “SHINAI’. The opponents wear padded body armour and helmets , “BOGU”
Offence, defense, are of equal import.

“Our main strike weapon this time, will be the battle ships, the cruisers. They will strike, and strike hard each base in turn. They will be our sword . The carriers, initially, will be the shield, delivering them safely into range. …….”

An aim of kendo, is to remove the delusions of anger, doubt, fear or surprise by actions of the enemy. It is an art closely matched to Buddhism. It is an art central to Japans soul……..

“I do not care in particular what the enemy does. We will come into this theatre, we will smash each island, Nauru, Tarawa , Makin, Mili, Maleolop in turn. The enemy in the northern islands will not have anywhere to run. We will kill many planes, wreck many installations.

We will put the enemy on his arse.”

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 754
RE: ouch - 10/31/2011 9:35:18 PM   
herwin

My opponent took the KB into Rabaul harbor within heavy bomber range, and I port-struck it that night, getting a bomb hit on the Hiryu. During WWII, when heavy bombers started port-striking a base, warships based there moved out. The chance of being bombed when immobile meant that ships could not tie up to the pier and refit. I like the realism.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 755
RE: ouch - 11/1/2011 11:25:21 AM   
1275psi

Hi herwin

yes , rabual is closed to me for alongside, cantona made a killing there a few months back.
We remain somewhat behind the game, the fleet is out.............

I will shortly jump back to the war, but a few things have to be set up first, and i don't get turns for another three days

But I am sure battle is coming!

Its hard to think there is a war on

A delightful breeze is blowing across Truk lagoon, just enough to take the bite out of the heat, not enough to stir the sand.

This is a great white stretch of beach, white, clean. In years to come, many will holiday here. They will stay in neato little huts, drink expensive drinks, and sustain the economy, and, truth be told, soon become bored.
The men on the beach will not do that today.
Nearly 100 of Zuiho’s crew are scattered here, some swimming, some sleeping. Volley ball games, a base ball game are in progress.
Several piles of hot coals on the beach currently hide roasting pork and beef under the sand.
There is beer, and laughter, and few cares.

It is every mans tropical paradise, THE one the Navy promised so many years ago.
And none here today are passing up the opportunity.

Only one shadow hangs over the day, those great grey shapes riding at anchor, the forest of them out there, waiting for the war they so studiously avoid today.

The Charge has a good buzz on. The beer is good. Th4e tree he lies against, the sand he sits on, the shade, the stirring of the trees, the laughter about him.

And no damn machines.
It is easy to fall asleep.

Hirate, Okano wade in the water. From somewhere, masks and flippers have been produced.
There is much, so much to explore in the water.

Lurch dominates the volley ball……

And Tan watches them all, and smiles, and wonders how these sport items ‘just appear, how this day has come together. A warship truly can be a house of treasures.

The day passes, the food is eaten, more beer is drunk. The sports wind down. It has been a good day.

But now it is time for the main event
From that same hidden treasure house, an amazing amount of Kendo gear has emerged, and it makes a common pile near a clearing amongst the palms.

Charge awakens. It is times like this, when former lives are revealed, that one can learn so much about the men you live with
Thirty two men have put names down for this day, and it is quickly obvious, as the first man stumbles away in pain, that they are divided into two groups.
A small number who have never wielded this Shinai, and the rest, who know its art.

And Tan is one of them.
Thirty two, become sixteen
The competition is hard, fast, almost brutal in its beauty
Sixteen, eight
The eight, now surrounded by many , prepare for the following rounds

Tan is eliminated, by a single point. ( and secretly glad, he is exhausted)

The winner turns out to be a young man few know. Seaman Oi has hardly made a ripple in Zuiho’s existence. But today he has made his mark.
He is a Kendo master.

Tan presents him with a suitable trophy, and they prepare to pack the gear away to whatever hiding hole it lives in, when several men enter the area.
A silence falls amongst the men

Two they know. Pilots . Hidaka. They care little for him
Okura. Zuiho’s spear carrier. Him, they respect.
But these two are familiar.
The third brings the silence. PO Uto.
Herbiesans son

Uto takes up the great bamboo sword, and it sits as if born in his hand.
He turns, nods to Tan.
‘”if I may, sir?”
‘may what, petty officer?’
‘If I may challenge your champion?”

Okura watches the clash

Uto, tall. Thin. Swift, and smooth. The stoker. Stockier. Harder. More powerful.
But Uto has had far more practice. Far more.
And is obviously, to his eye, holding back……………..

It is a good fight, points swaying this way then that.

Okura watches. Cold inside

He is playing with him now. Do not let him lose too badly. Do not let him be humiliated. Let him say he fought the great playboy of Japan, and hit him too.
Ah, yes, there. And there again. The head so exposed to the reverse sweep.
And how long will you play him, you cunning barsted…………

Uto fights.
How good to swing Shinai again, to feel the thud on his Bogu. To sweat, to stretch, to fight.
To enter the zone, to purify, to come out again.
He is good, this small one, for his years.
But only for a warm up………

The stokers groan as their new champion goes down, but there is no shame. Only admiration.
Playboy yes. Hated part of the party yes. But , it seems, a fair man.

Uto removes his mask, bows to his opponent. ‘You fought , as one I hear from Zuiho always fights, with skill and courage”
‘Thankyou, petty Officer”

Uto turns about
“is there anyone else who would like to take the challenge?”

Okura steps forward.
There is no formal bow.
‘I accept”

The fleet is in place. The plans are complete but for one item
Fuel.
It will take eleven days yet, for the tankers to arrive.
And if herbiesan new that these had been diverted from the home islands convoys, they would never arrive.
But this Yamamoto will keep from his eyes until it was far too late.
Japans industry could splutter to a halt before he stopped the fleet, stopped this operation, this last grasp at glory.

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 756
RE: ouch - 11/2/2011 1:28:26 AM   
Smoky Stoker

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

It is every mans tropical paradise, THE one the Navy promised so many years ago.
And none here today are passing up the opportunity.

I find it difficult to believe that the Japanese sailors' view of a tropical paradise did not include sultry Polynesian beauties.

Also I am reminded of the legendary sword master, Miyamoto Musashi, who followed the adage "fight as you have trained" to the most extreme limit. In many of his real duels, he used a bokken, a wooden training sword, to disable or kill his opponent. Apparently he intended to minimize his number of challengers by making humiliation more likely than death, although the two were not mutually exclusive.

"Leveling large cities has a tendency to alienate the affections of the inhabitants and does not create an atmosphere of international good will after the war." -Rear Admiral Daniel V. Gallery

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 757
RE: ouch - 11/2/2011 7:10:36 AM   
1275psi

Hi Smokey sailor

I must admit I am being pushed to the limits of my Japanese knowledge here!, so I bow to what I suspect is a far greater knowledge

As for the polynesian beauties.....lets see, 100 plus warships, two divisions of men, an airforce as well.
Girls are but a pipe dream at Truk at the moment!

I really appreciate the following though of this little tale.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 758
RE: ouch - 11/2/2011 9:37:02 AM   
1275psi

Uto circles the an before him, studying the face.
So, this is Okura. They speak well of him, that he can fly.
Well good. But can he wield a sword.?

I shall attack……..

And he stumbles back, a point down.

Ah, so, a real opponent. I must be on my guard.

They circle some more.
And now Uto sees it.
I am mistaken. That is not coldness in the eyes.

That is hatred, pure hatred.
What, I wonder, have I done?

Okura smiles. No warmth in it. So, friend. Now you see it. I am sure they taught you well in your insular world. But I wonder, how many of your opponents really wanted to hurt you…………….Like THAT!

About them, in the crowd, hisses , intakes of breath at this next blow.

Two points to nil

Uto does not show the pain, but his arm is almost numb. He is fast this man. And good. But I see, his hatred hampers him.
You wish to fight, Okura. Fight beyond this sport. I do not know why. But if a fight it is , then a fight we will have…..

The clash , the true clash begins.

Tan watches, and the charge joins them.
“they are good, are they not?”
Tan grimly agrees. ‘And I fear the outcome…this could go bad “
‘So its true then, that Uto is the dictators Son?’
‘Yes, but, its worse than that………”

“Oh, do tell”

But there is no opportunity. A thrust, a miss, an unbalance. The winning blow.
Okura crashes to the deck.

Uto stands. Bows. Reaches out and down to his defeated opponent.
“well fought brother. I hope I did not hurt you too bad”

I do not understand your hate Okura, but I extend the hand………please take it.

He is not his Father. He did not do the killing. Take the hand, take the hand.
The voice of reason.
But he cannot.

In silence, he rises, and with out a backward look, Okura leaves the arena.

And Tan wonders , what would Hidaka think of this?

We skip a week or more now. We will move to the 23rd
Little happens for this time. The ships remain in Truk, waiting, waiting.
Finally, the Tankers arrive.
CVL Ryuho arrives as well, and joins Zuiho’s task force. She has no strike aircraft, just fighters.

The B17s are back –but over Port Moresby.
The Japanese SS fleet begins to kill south west of Hawaii.
And the air war in Burma rages on

We will rejoin tomorrow, the 24th, for final briefings, plans and dispositions.
The fleet is now ready.
Time for war again

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 759
RE: ouch - 11/3/2011 10:35:19 AM   
1275psi

24/12/42

A small motor boat steadily chugs its way across Truk lagoon. Besides the crew of three, just two men occupy the passenger seats, Kato and Hidaka.

Both men are silent, attention fully on the floating mountain in front of them.
In its turn, the boat nestles against the suspended gangway of the Yamato, pipes blow, and they climb onto the quarterdeck .
Both men pause. It is impossible not too.

We have so few photos now. And there are so few who served upon this giant.
Now, we look at grainy grey pictures, look at models, and wonder.
But we will never really know the awe, the wonder, the intense pride these two men must feel as they are led forward, under the shadows of these titanic guns.

We look at the photos, and we forget, at times, that this ship was real.
Real men walked her decks, felt her great strength through their soles, and thought her eternal.
She is Yamato
She is Japan, ascendant, powerful, undefeated.

And the men who gather on her forecastle, bathe in this, draw strength from this, and, inevitably, are deceived by this.

One photo remains from this day.
They stand, row upon row of them, faces lost to history now.
The Captains of this mighty Armada, gathered to finalize this operation.. And I cannot help myself. I imagine myself with them, in front of that mighty tower, those great guns.
And I can see how they must have thought.
That nothing can defeat them.

In fact, the planning is done.
The photo is taken, and the real reason for the gathering is revealed.
Stewards by the dozen appear, and Yamamoto is buying.

The man himself mixes easily, moving from face to face, and not a single name forgotten. He talks to each, and each in turn will feel that he was the point of it all.
He talks to each, and measures them.

A valuable hour this.
And more than enough time to gather that there can be no move against the Dictator this year.

Kato, Hidaka view Truk harbour from the highest platform on Yamato.
The view is nothing short of stunning.
‘An impressive ship yes?’ Kato observes.
‘Hidaka smiles. “yes, but a long way to go before she reaches our tonnage sunk”
Kato nods imperceptibly ‘a point I concede’

‘Do you think this operation will achieve anything?’
Kato considers. ‘I hope we see action. If we do, that will be enough. “ his countenance darkens “ I think, Hidaka, that whatever happens, the good times are drawing to a close”

He puts his cap firmly on his head "Come on Hidaka, we have a ship to get to sea"

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 760
RE: ouch - 11/4/2011 8:46:04 AM   
1275psi

0400 hours
25/12/42

Tan stands at the back of the bridge,, in his usual position, well out of the way, and watches Captain Kato take his ship to sea.

He is a cold barsted, this Kato, but, he can handle a ship.

Tan enjoys coming here to the bridge, especially in this period, just before they sail. The nature of the process appeals to him, to his railways back ground. Railways are driven by timetables, by meeting specific departure times, with little room for error..
But errors occur.
To Tan, there is something deeply pleasurable being part of a beast that lives by meeting timetables, appointments, sailing times.
In these days, in this Navy, few if any ships fail to make sailing time. Few engineers survive if they do not..
To Tan, that’s part of the appeal.

In the still grey dark, the shadow of Kato turns to him. “Are we ready engines?”
Yes. Yes we are. Thankyou men. “ All four boilers on line sir, mains turning by steam, immediate notice, all generators online. Fuel at 108 percent, feed 98 percent, potable at 100 percent. Crew 100 percent”
“Good. No troubles below?”
‘A trouble free flash up sir, we are defect free”

And Kato turns away. He is dismissed, free to fade back into the background to observe the show.

Preparations follow a now familiar pattern to him
The XO reports his department correct. The Coxswain reports all hands correct, the gangway now closed.
Mail is confirmed ashore. The keyboard is correct. In peace time, the magazine keys would be gathered here, and secured. Now, the process is reversed, the magazines are open, and the gunnery Officer will join the crowd, make his report.
‘the guns are manned”
A potent reminder of the days they serve in

Zuiho singles up, the signal department scurries, so many flags, so many signals……
Tan listens carefully.”Ship at state one , condition zulu!, all damage stations closed up!’
There are submarines lurking out there…………

And Kato takes the reports, and digests them, and watches with a close, cold eye.
The navigator is one of the last to report. His job, the sailing brief.
It is, today, long, and tense.
Crowded anchorage Narrow channels. A tight schedule…..
Zuiho strains on her moorings.
Water swirls about her stern
Whisps of steam at the funnel, a heavy heat haze on her funnel, her side.

And the ting, ting of the elevator bells. The Kates are coming up, armed with bombs.

It is growing ever so lighter now, 0414 hours.

Around the world, men rise, and wish each other peace on earth.
And Zuiho meets the dawn, prepared for war.

It never amazes Tan, this moment.
Kato nods. Ropes are flung from bollards, splash into the stirring water, lines of men, haul them in…

‘Port ten. Slow slow ahead port, slow asterm starboard”
The helmsmans voice sings the reply, repeating the orders.
Telegraphs ring. The coxswain bending to the speaking tubes.

‘hard to port, stop both!
Admidships!
Slow astern both!
Starboard five
Admidships!

And they are gliding away, the wharf already 50 feet distant, another world..
Men wave. –until we see you again.
The rising sun flutters overhead, streams beautifully in her self made breeze.

Stop both!
Half ahead both!
Port 30!
Admidships.

And they are away
The first wake creams, the first white boils at the stern, the first bangs from below of boiler casings , the rising whine of the fans.
Alive again.

Men move constantly from side to side on the bridge, taking bearings , this is point A, that B. ‘Sir, next wheel over 250 yards!, recommend track 280, we are 20 yards to port of course!

A poets tale. A song that few will ever hear.
The sound of men at ease with a great craft.

Pipes shrill, and now the sun is up, and they slide past the flagship, her bridge a field of white uniforms
Even from here, there is no mistaking Yamamoto.
The tannoy blares “All hands, salute to starboard, IJNS Yamato!”
And then, ‘AKAGI!
And again. And again.

And now, there, the gap.
Safety about to pass astern
The waters ahead, deep, deep blue, flecked with white.

‘revolutions 196!”

the first swell, the first bone at the bow.
The first of a million tightenings of the calves, of the legs, as the swell gently moves the world beneath their feet.

The sea
The breeze
The great unknown.

It takes two hours to shake this task force into shape, five carriers, 2 cruisers, 8 destroyers strong, carriers line ahead, Hiyo leading, the cruisers on the flanks, the destroyers in doctrine position.

The main fleet will soon follow.
The sky is clear, blue.
A beautiful day.

At 1000 hours, this fleet turns to course 160, begins its long trek south.
Japan needs no Saviour. She will trust in the strength of men.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 761
RE: ouch - 11/4/2011 4:19:54 PM   
John 3rd

Could Kato report the exact ships within the TF?

Query: Have you kept track of Zuiho's experience from the start of the war to now? If so, how much has it improved?

Thanks!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 762
RE: ouch - 11/4/2011 7:02:02 PM   
Insano

John I was just wondering about your question on Zuiho's experience today as well. I'll bet she got some experience out of the night surface action (in addition to the many soiled shorts).

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 763
RE: ouch - 11/4/2011 9:54:59 PM   
John 3rd

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Insano)
Post #: 764
RE: ouch - 11/6/2011 6:26:50 AM   
1275psi

Sorry guys, lost what her start experience was.
It is now 65/65

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 765
RE: ouch - 11/6/2011 8:48:37 AM   
1275psi

mistake

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 766
RE: ouch - 11/6/2011 8:49:49 AM   
1275psi

26/12/42

Zuiho does what she is designed to do. All day she launches and recovers fighters, 3 or 4 aloft at any one time, 3 or 4 at immediate standby.

They are not alone.
From dawn to dusk, the air throbs to the sound of growling aero engines, as the CAP circles endlessly at 5, 10, 15000 feet.

Below the CAP, floatplanes hunt unceasingly, crawling across the waves at a mere thousand feet.
For ten miles or more in every direction, Japans warships plow steadily south east.
Several submarines are sighted away from the fleet, but no attacks either way occur.
There are no illusions however.

The enemy must know that they are coming.
Yamamoto believes they will fight.
Hara, that this will be a punch into thin air.

Today gives no indication what will happen.

By Midnight, the fleets are 120 miles south west of Ponape.
It is the calm before the storm.

I read the above. And there are some things that have to be said.
A quiet day, a “dull” day.

But consider this. There are Navies, right now, that are learning, aor beginning to learn, or will soon have to learn, that you cannot just “take a carrier to sea, and operate”
Let alone a task force.

Every carrier here is launching and recovering aircraft as a matter of course……..but how many years to get to this point?. How many launch cycles?

How easily they seem to make it, this flawless cycling of planes and pilots from the hanger deck, the co coordinated turns into the wind, the arming, the dis arming, the fuelling, the allotting of sectors, the communications, the plane guard destroyers keeping station.

All of it.

We think our navies modern, and trained, and technical.
Carrier operations, the pinnacle of navy operations.
And Japans is the very best.
And Zuiho is right up there with them.

Zuihos bridge will be busy all day.
The wind is not on the bow, but a good 60 degrees from the course. Again and again, she will have to turn into this breeze, raise revolutions, recover, or launch. Again and again, she will have to resume her station.

Destroyers will dart each way and that. Several are being used as relay stations to the Main body to the west, and signal lights will flash all day.

In between , Kato will have to satisfy Tans demands from below, surface blows, a soot blow.
And they will be a matter of course.

A routine day.
But not dull. Not at all.

At dusk, Kato will leave the bridge, and sleep.
He knows he may not get much in the days ahead

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 767
RE: ouch - 11/7/2011 7:40:37 AM   
1275psi

( I have just noticed what ships I attached to this fleet)

27/12/42

A very steady breeze is whipping across Zuiho’s flight deck. It pulls at the mens uniforms, snatches words away. But words are not needed, the men have done this too many times now.
The fleet presses on, across a white capped ocean.
And still no sign of the enemy above the waves.
Below, a different matter. From the contacts, it is obvious. A vast patrol barrier of submarines is being crossed.
But so far, the patrols have kept them down

Okura lounges in one of the gun bays. His Kate is below , the great fish still strapped to her belly. He does not mind, his chance, he knows, will come soon enough.
There is not much room in the bay today. The goofers are extra thick.
Word has spread.

PO Uto , the Dictators Son, prepares to commence his duty.
Hidaka has chosen today for his first sortie
“You have asked for no special favours. I give you none. Today you will launch, and complete three traps. If you fail, you will have three choices. Kwaljien., Ponape, or ditching. I for one would not choose ditching, I would prefer to die unseen in my shame……..”

Three zeros proceed him, Diogawa leading a merry dance, he has taken to barrel rolling almost immediately after gear up . It is , he says, the only excitement he has in his life.
The fact that he is lucky to still have one does not seem to register.

Uto does his final checks, all seems good. The flight deck is so short………
He moves his head right, seeking the flight officer. The flag drops.
Excitement surges through him.
And he is away.

Kato, Hidaka watch the zero wobble into the air……..far too much rudder waggling for both mens liking, but, it could have been worse.
“Well,” says Kato gravely “hes not dead yet”
Hidaka speaks what has to be spoken ‘How in the hell do we manage it if he does get killed?’
‘You mean, with our Dictator?”
‘Yes, him”
“As you would expect Hidaka. He died fighting courageously in the service of Japan, taking many enemy with him”
‘as we all will”
‘as we all will”

Uto takes a long, leisurely lap around the task force, mentally ticking of the ships…Hiyo, Ryujo, ……Shoho, ..Ryujo………and his home, passing under the wing.
How good to be in the air again!
How good to be free.
No Father. No expectations. No prying eyes!
Just him. His plane, the sky, the sea..

Tone……..Chikuma……..ugly ships, ugly ships.
He does not know any of the destroyers.

An hour has gone, already!
He must face it. Three traps.
He will do it.

And now the knot of men in the gun bay is very tight. The entire ready room is watching.
Callously, bets are being placed.
Uto’s patronage means nothing now. His background, his education, his contacts, his friends. They mean nothing.
Now, he, he alone must become a naval aviator, or fail.
And failure in this navy means death.
There never has been, never was fuel to reach kwaljien., or anywhere else.

This is the code of these warriors.

The zero circles in, a little low, a little low, now a little off, center, but down!, and done!, and with a roar, back into the air again.

And despite himself, Okura has to smile.
Another brother will join them.

Uto survives the day.

Mentally, physically exhausted, he rests in the ready room.
Diogawa comes in, grins. ‘well done, young man. But next, you’ve really got to shoot some barsted down before you really have made the grade”

The fleet plows on
At 1400 hours, Captain Beppu on Hiyo flashes all ships. “destroyers to take fuel from carriers. Top up all tanks”

With out incident, Zuiho refuels Yugaze.
But Hibiki needs something more

“So what do they need Tan?’
Tan scratches his chin. “To be honestr sir, we don’t rightly know. It’s a feed pump governor, but our spare is a later model, I am not sure its suitable.”

Kato nods. This is a common problem. ‘So who are you sending across?”
‘I want to send PO Okano sir, he’s one of the best’
‘Alright then. Executive Officer!, prepare for light line transfer with Hibiki, Starboard side, station two!”

Okano, not surprisingly, is not amused.
‘if my wife saw me now, she’d kill me!’

He stands now, his feet in what he can only describe as a canvas sack, the governor sculling about his feet. Even now, in this fading light, Hibiki seems to be an enormous distance away, and the sea a terrifying long way down.

It is all horrifyingly unfamiliar to him.
The CPO Bosun grins. ‘Hang on Old man. Good thing I like you, or I might be tempted to give you a dunking”
‘You are joking ………right?”
‘”Of course, petty Officer, of course”
he is joking, right?
Oh Crap!……….with a “HEAVE!”, forty men pull on the line he will be suspended.
“walk BACK on the Jackstay!………the bosuns voice, one that could easily cut across the boiler rooms , blasts across the men

it’s a blur

One moment, on the deck, the next spinning giddily , bouncing, swaying across the rushing, hissing gap between the ships.
And onto Hibiki.

Hirate watches from up forward.
Lucky Sod………how come he got the adventure……….

Hibiki breaks away.
Four hours later,, after midnight, Okano repeats the journey back, this time thanking the inky darkness that hides his fear.
Hirate meets him, eager to hear
“How was it, how was it!”
The Charge simply wants to know –“the governor?”

‘The governor was fine Chief. It all was fine”
The Charge merely grunts. He is too busy to linger.
The two Petty Officers, inseparable now, retire to the mess. The tea is good
Suddenly, as if he had just remembered, Okano blurts out.
‘You know, strangest thing. Something I saw onboard that little ship. I am sure I saw a snake in the store room”
‘Oh stop it, nobody is going to believe a story like that”

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 768
RE: ouch - 11/7/2011 11:22:41 AM   
ny59giants

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 769
RE: ouch - 11/7/2011 2:53:22 PM   
british exil

Now I really believe the rumours about the snake on the Hibiki. If a crew member of the Zuiho saw that snake then it has to be true.

Had to smile about the Hibiki.

Mat

< Message edited by british exil -- 11/7/2011 8:16:44 PM >

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 770
Hibiki Snake LIVES! - 11/7/2011 3:17:24 PM   
John 3rd

Well Done!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 771
RE: Hibiki Snake LIVES! - 11/8/2011 7:36:37 AM   
1275psi

Thanks guys

I wonder if cuttlefish reads this?.............I am not worthy!

OK, action is looming...........

28/12/42

‘hands to action stations, hands to actions stations. Expedite all reports to damage Control central”

Tan settles into his chair.
There is special tension to this mornings dawn action stations, the fleet is now theoretically in range of Narau island bombers.

He is getting more comfortable now, less a blind man in a dark room, now a sighted man, in a dark room.

In front of him, the plans of the ship, , several of them. Some showing the fire mains, others stability, others just compartments.
In front of them , the communication talkers are receiving the reports, and his two right hand men, the CPO Chippee, the PO regulator, are also entering the cramped compartment.
Over the speaker, from the Port Engine room, the Charge is giving the machinery state, the number of fire pumps on line.

Within minutes, Zuiho will be closed down .

Flight deck operations are fully underway, today the Kates are aloft, ASW patrol.

And they are needed.

Yamamoto broods on the bridge of Yamato.
The oceans, it seems , are crawling with submarines “How many is that now?, six, seven?.
It is still just a thought, but it is a thought coalescing in him with every minute.
They have guessed he is coming, and the fleet is blundering into a trap.

But he is committed.
He has to continue. It is intolerable for such a plan , once committed to action, to be abandoned.

The cross the border of Northern Burma just North east of Malandy. They are high, so high that many will not spot them.
Nearly 30 strong, they circle over the area of the Imperial guards division, hidden some where under that green sea below.
And they wait.
But the Japanese are busy today over Ledo again, and no action takes place.

But things have changed now in Burma.
The P38’s are here.

The new Minister of production reads the reports. Damiensan can be well pleased.
That fool of a dictator has actually taken action.
Supply reserves…….going up
Resources, still going up
HI, stable, even still going up.

And finally, just when he thought that the cliff really would claim them, fuel reserves climbing again.
But he still has a long way to go.

2200 hrs

Po Hirate sits in the mess, waiting the clock down
He has the middle watch this week. Already he is tired. Finish watch at 0400. dawn action stations 0430 to 0700.
Defence stations watch, 1000 to 1200
Another watch to 1600

Dusk action stations at 1900 to 2100

Yes. He is tired. Another long watch ahead, another defence watch as well, staring at the walls.

Somehow, he thinks , it is going to be a very, very long week.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 772
CLANG - 11/9/2011 8:18:50 AM   
1275psi

29/12/42
0200 hrs

Hirate is standing at his steaming platform, hands resting easily above his head, one on the fuel valve, the other on the blower throttle.
It’s a position he has spent many, many hours in over these months. To an observer, to his fellow watch keepers, he stands relaxed, calm, in control.

He is far from it.
War is hard. All men begin war with a well full of courage, some deeper than others. But every day, regardless of action, they will draw from this well.
Some days, a cupful. Others, other days they will draw deep on the reserves.

Hirate has visited this well many times now. He has been blasted by a bursting boiler. He has been washed almost over board. He has suffered as all have, the shock of THAT night when Zuiho came under fire.

He has heard the crump of the bombs thudding alongside.
felt Zuihos guns hanmmer back.
Felt the terror of wondering what the truk is going on!

But above all, its that gigantic clang of the depth charges, giants beating on the hull, that have twisted his courage, stretched it thin.
He stands, easy.
But he is not.
For hours now, he has been imagining THAT sound –the CLANG!, of the torpedo warhead striking the hull-the momentary warning of oblivion to come.
It hardens his muscles. It sends a thickness to his belly. His legs are weak.
And not all the sweat on his brow can be attributed to the heat.

It is his private guillotine, waiting to drop.
He cannot escape…………

It is almost a relief, when it comes, those great clangs …………..

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 773
RE: CLANG - 11/9/2011 8:28:04 PM   
Insano

oh dear

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 774
RE: ouch - 11/10/2011 8:39:03 AM   
1275psi

A note from herbiesan
On purely game considerations, this whole op is madness. As a player, determined to win, I would not be doing this op. the fleet would be in home port, waiting.
But how boring!
Also, as Cantona and I try to play a game as close to real life as we can, I cannot conceive japan doing nothing with the allied carriers sunk. This op I think, is very much how I think the Japanese high command would react……….especially considering her fuel situation.

Now back to those clangs.

The fleet is ‘marking time’ Allocated to a empty spot in the ocean by Yamamotos plan, it is committed to reversing upon itself every six hours.

Ryujo is but 500metres away on the port bow, passing Zuiho going the other way, when the fish strike.

It is only by luck that Kato actually sees the strike, two small fountains near her bow, he will not hear the strike like Hirate.
The mind moves quickly……..
Ryujo’s port bow!
That puts the shark on my starboard bow!

“FULL AHEAD ALL!, HARD TO STARBOARD!, Call battle stations!……..
And , immediately afterwards……..
‘SEARCHLIGHTS TO STARBOARD!”

If the SS can see Ryujo, then she can already see them………..

Zuiho bursts into life, her deck trembling.
Telegraphs crash, and below the ever present fans begin to wind towards full power shriek

From three places, the search beams strike out.
And see her……….
‘PERISCOPE!, 300 metres!, bearing 090!”
The call is almost a shriek.
Zuiho begins to lean into the turn, barrels begin to seek the scope.
‘Destroyer Isonami…I have the target!”

Kato, eyes fixed on the binnacle, mind racing, mentally plotting tracks, courses, answers calmly.
Isonami was astern……….”Very good. Wheel admidships!, port 25”

The SS should be passing astern. This maneuver has been known to pre detonate a fish………..

“Ship at action stations sir………..passing 270 revolutions……..”
behind, the slamming crashes of depth charges.
That will keep the son of a barsted whores head down………….

Too Hirate, the rings of the telegraphs, the clanging of the alarms, are the breaker of the rising fear..
Now, now, he has more than enough to do………..

But he still jumps with the rest as the hammer blows of the charges slam against the hull.

Three destroyers attack the seawolf ( see amazon book – “A wolf in the pen” –1956)
Like the majority of Japanese attacks, these are more noise than danger.
She will get another chance.

Zuiho dodges this first attack at 0335 hrs, by 0342 Kato considers his ship safe from that threat.
But he has little chance to resume course, when on the other flank of the force Atago rolls her lucky six, two more duds slamming into her flank.
At 0400 hours, Zuiho, still at action stations, still drawing from that well, again alters her course, as CL Tenryu dodges another attack on her.

As dawn begins to pink , Zuihos bridge is of one thought.
They have stumbled into a briar patch.

Yamamoto thinks so too. At 0435, the signal comes. ‘Task force to cancel all anticipated strikes. Launch all TBDs on ASW patrol”

Hidaka is grim as he faces his men.

“the wolves circle us my friends. Get them off our throats!”

By 0630 , they are all aloft, circling under a grey, foreboding low cloud sky, over a dark, malevolent sea.

And Zuiho’s mood matches it.
Doubt seizes them all.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 775
RE: ouch - 11/10/2011 11:46:27 AM   
british exil

Any idea how many subs are in that brair patch? How many boats have be sighted and "identified"? (not mistaking a sighting as a different sub)

Question from the other side of the pond.
Did US subs work in "Wolfspack" as the German Uboots did? Or were they fighting singular only coming together on special operations.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 776
RE: ouch - 11/10/2011 12:46:31 PM   
dr.hal

Even though the US didn't operate "wolf packs" it would appear that they do in your game! The concentration of subs is a very good tactic. One that can pay dividends even with the torpedo failure rate as it is...Hal

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 777
RE: ouch - 11/10/2011 2:25:58 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Even though the US didn't operate "wolf packs" it would appear that they do in your game! The concentration of subs is a very good tactic. One that can pay dividends even with the torpedo failure rate as it is...Hal

As a newbie AFB in a game right at the same period of time as this thread I would say it is a difficult decision that has to fit ones overall strategy in my opinion.

Send USN submarines into merchant sea lanes and the IJ has to cover their convoys even though probability is low for a hit and detonation. This adds fuel costs to every convoy for example.

Concentrate USN submarines into an area of expected capital ship action and the USN gathers intellgence, along with presenting some probability < P(.20) per torp of detection, torp attack, hit, and detonation. But IMHO) scenrario #1, before 1943 it only takes one CV smacked to change the game. This game experinced USN CV losses early and thus maybe more pressure to smack a IJN CV?

Ok back to the story ...

<edit:I changed 'event' to even .. I had a different context and did not realize I did not complete the change in thoughts>

< Message edited by Crackaces -- 11/10/2011 3:49:09 PM >

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 778
RE: ouch - 11/10/2011 3:10:45 PM   
ny59giants

The "briar patch" will get some nasty thorns in a few days when Jan 1st rolls around and the dud rate goes down. I'm in Feb 43 and I've felt the effects.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 779
RE: ouch - 11/10/2011 9:59:15 PM   
1275psi

The grey skies turn foul
Ceiling drops to 1500 to 2000 feet, wet, dark. The sky is filled with low clouds now, and the wind drives scattered showers across the ships across the growing fields of white caps.

As dramatic the language from Hidaka, words , mere words cannot defeat nature.

It is for Okura a grim day. Emerging from the shelter of the ready room, he is already damp before he has climbed into the cockpit.
The take off is…………interesting, blinded by flying spray and rain

The rest of the patrol is like flying in a fish bowl, a frustrating exasperating day of peering through rain streaked canopies, chasing will of the wisps.

They see nothing all day

Others do.

Again, and again, the kates report in.
Periscope sighted!
Attacking!
Shadow in the water!
Periscope sighted!

The fleet gathers itself together, keeps plowing south east, sheep harassed by wolves, herding themselves closer and closer, seeking the protection of the mob.

“We must abandon this mission” Hidaka growls
Kato raises an eyebrow, lowers his glasses. “ Not words I would expect from you, my friend. “
Hidaka spits over the side of the bridge wing, the wind whipping it away. “I would fight a hundred carriers instead of these hidden baka’s!” he wipes the rain from his face. Hands grip the coaming hard. “Maybe these seas will keep them down.”
“Hidden from us, more likely. I think we will need a great deal of luck tonight.” The Captain turns his glasses to the west.

There, illuminated by a rare patch of sun, the giant shadow of the fleet flagship shimmers on the horizon.
She should not be there. The nights ‘activities’ have made a shambles of the fleets formation.
What, thinks Kato, are our esteemed masters thinking of this?

‘This is madness”
Hara cannot contain the anger in his voice. “this is no mere patrol line we have punched through!. I count ten contacts in the last 4 hours. When darkness comes, and our shepherds land, what will keep them at bay then?”

Yamamoto does not answer. He cannot. Herbiesan insists this operation will go ahead. The Admirals insist on action.. And fate, it seems, draws them on.

“We have no choice but to continue, and to trust our destroyers will keep them at bay. The mission continues. We will dispatch the Narua strike at force at midnight as planned”

Dusk
Over 100 square miles, thousands of eyes peer into the gathering dark, across a ever growing more restless ocean.
Hirate is not alone. Hardly a mind a board every ship is not now screwed with tension, waiting, waiting for that terrible blow.

The long day fades.
Eight hours to dawn

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: ouch Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI