Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The little ship that could.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The little ship that could. Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:02:37 AM   
1275psi

6/3/42

Zuiho continues to steam south towards Soerabaya.

Hasegawa is mainly absent from the bridge today -he spends the morning catching up on sleep -and awakens -still tired, very tired.
He notes grimly to himself as he crawls out of bed -every bone aching -that seniority works well -in peace time. But war, war is for the young. And not for the first time since taking command, he wonders if he is past it.
he writes some letters to his children, one to his wife -and wonders if they will ever recieve them

Then , then its the paperwork war, and a first attempt at massaging the "general intention" Yamamoto has given him -into some sort of concrete planning order.
But even as he begins -it strikes him again, and again -its a long, long way to go.......

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 241
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:07:11 AM   
1275psi

Minobe spnds his day, as he spends many, behind his closed door. today though -there is work - 6 monthly fitness reports.
They stand, a huge pile, on his desk.

He detests them -as most naval men do. At the very least -a necessary evil. Oh for the old days -where war brought rapid promotion -where one could be promoted by the CO on the spot -like he was -not like this -this red tape nightmare.
He sighs, reaches for the first in the pile.

CPO Fuchida -The charge

for a moment he contemplates the page of little boxes............crap it -he needs a drink.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 242
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:09:57 AM   
1275psi

Okano has a quiet day -Forenoon and firts now -so he has caught up on sleep.
The boiler room bores him today -and he wonders if Hirate will ever return -its the only way it seems he will be able to get back to the engine room - and progression.

It will be for him a forgettable day.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 243
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:14:13 AM   
1275psi

PO Hirate - in actual fact -is coming, he has been seconded onto little Hosho -which is enroute to support "the OP"
he is having a terrible time of it. Stranger to every one -and only here for a short time -no one really speaks to him, or wants to really acknowledge him -he is not Hosho crew.
(He personally thinks they are all pretensious snobs -but that is another story)
He does his work -wonders at his scars -and hides from the medics as best he can the pain he still feels.

he won't truly be well again until he walks the deck of the happy Phoenix

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 244
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:17:27 AM   
1275psi

Lurch tends to his machinery -and wonders at the cruelity of the world.

has he not twice now -performed exactly as he has been trained to do?
has he ever made a real mistake?
Isn't he really the most skilled man here on the throttles?

Why then, do they keep treating him as an idiot?
he may look like one at times - and thats hardly his fault he is so large - but when will any one really trust him? a

< Message edited by 1275psi -- 5/9/2017 10:25:15 AM >

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 245
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:21:52 AM   
1275psi

Hidaka too spends today on paperwork -and worry

He , The captain, the XO, the Navigator alone are privy to the true war news.
And it frankly worries him, worries any true son of the empire

Singapore holds
Clarke holds

And the smneaking suspicion that Japanese arogance may have left an opening for the allies
Just how many troops did the British get into singapore? -and what other miscief were they up to as the invasion of the DEI's slowly turned into a morass?

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 246
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:28:05 AM   
1275psi

The Charge ttends to paperwork - (its a common theme isn't it -this paperwork. trust me -there is mountains of it -and every year since the creation of the warship -that little pile has gotten a little bigger - a modern minesweeper today has more than a 45 battleship I am sure)

The work is piling up -and he will soon have to start juggling things - boiler cleans, turbine bumps -overspeeds, even the diesel generator 5000 hrlys -they need to be planned, manned, conducted.
easy in peacetime -now -heavens knows when.

The Charge works -sticking to his last promised maintenance date -mid June, 99% knowing that he has a snow balls chance in hell of seeing it.
In fact, he suspects, the Zuiho may soon slide into a whole new maintenace philosophy -wait until its f%$#@!d -then try to fix it................

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 247
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:31:06 AM   
1275psi

mistake

< Message edited by 1275psi -- 1/16/2011 3:33:35 AM >

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 248
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:33:19 AM   
1275psi

PO Nashiguchi has a good day -a very good day

CAP at 10000 feet -way out there

No hassles, smooth air, clouds to sport about in

Just three fighters alone in the sky

Then home -a good book, calm seas

And no sea sickness

Oh -did he say -no sea sickness today

That makes it a very good day indeed.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 249
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:37:23 AM   
1275psi

PO Ogawa too has a great day.
Flying tucked in behind nashiguchi's wing all day
Enjoying the flight, the air time -the smooth air too.

And wondering what Nashiguchi's face will look like when he finally opens his locker -and finds it crammed to the hilt with lose rice.........

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 250
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:41:39 AM   
1275psi

PO Diogawa has a so, so day

He too spends the day on CAP, tucked into their finger three.

However, unlike the other two -he needs three go arounds to get down this afternoon -and wonders if Hidaka notices....

Which is a stupid thought -for Hidaka see's everything to do with the flight deck.

he will spend a sleepless night will Diogawa - not the first either, wondering if he will ever be good enough to be a carrier pilot.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 251
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/16/2011 3:44:48 AM   
1275psi

And finally Okura and Kurihama who are stood down today, try to play chess -but niether have there hearts in it.
They break up -and try to find work to do - Zuiho is a small prison for them today.
Action, any action, is better than this quiet time -there is too much time to think.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 252
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/17/2011 6:30:45 AM   
1275psi

7/3/42

Hosho does not watch the bombers with awe today, no , not today.
today is too filled with terror today to watch anything, except the very dirt in front of his nose

The B17s have come for his regiment today -and its hard not to think -for him personally

They thunder overhead -at a mere 8000 feet -and the shrieking of the bombs is a howl coming from the very gates of hell itself

CRUMP!, CRUMP!, CRUMP! -the earth shakes, and the shallow trench he quivers in becomes a shower of mud and crap, vegetation and god knows what else

Almost in a desperate act of distraction, he watchs some poor bug trying to climb up the edge of his trench -CRUMP! -and the poor bug disapears in a mini landslide, falling back into the trench
To Hosho -it reminds him terribly that this trench -or some future trench, may well become his grave too.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 253
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/17/2011 6:33:31 AM   
1275psi

Minobe enters Damage Control central , drops the huge pile of reports onto his regulators desk. "For Captains signitures -and no peeking"

he is pleased -as he should be -thats the dirtiest job on board done.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 254
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/17/2011 7:03:38 AM   
1275psi

On feed water>

We are going to hear a lot about feed water soon on the little Zuiho – for feed water is life to a steam ship.
We may even dive in –if we dare –at a later date –on how we control its Chemistry, and what happens if we don’t –(although we have seen that once already!).
But –to put the next months ‘adventures’ into perspective –a basic, basic description of the water circuit

Steam exhausting from the turbines (another story in itself there!) enters the main condenser slung underneath the turbine –where sea water rushing through thousands of tubes cools and condenses it.
This help maintains the condenser’s vacuum –and you can see why vacuum is so critical –no vacuum, no condensation –no steam flow –no go –and then even worse things happen!

The condensate is pumped out in prodigious quantities. What happens next depends very much on the design of your ship – with its british background, Zuiho’s condensate goes to several places

Some is used as a cooling medium in the air ejectors –steam devices used to initially create and then maintain the vacuum, but most travels directly back to the boiler room.
Here it enters a de aerator –oxygen kills boiler tubes –we must get rid of it.
From there –big feed pumps send it to the feed check valve –the feed regulator, and then the boiler.

It is a closed loop – at the de aerator, excess condensate will be diverted by the water tender back to the feed tanks –, shortages he will draw the same via the condensor vacuum

Evaporators –Zuiho has two –a HP Saturated steam , single effect evaporator, and a low out put exhaust steam plant –are used to make up for losses –which on Japanese ships are excessive.

All turbines have drains –and these gather waste feed, it gathers in a tank –and we suck it too into the condensor

Zuiho has 4 small reserve feed tanks, and just two fresh water tanks.
Japanese sailors do not shower –they bird bath from basins – and consumption of fresh is very small compared to allied ships.
To be honest – (they cannot tell, because they are all in the same boat) most of our characters smell at the moment –quite badly.

At the moment, both evaporators are working well –boiler chemistry is good –and feed and fresh are both over 90 % -even after todays regular 12 hrly ‘bottom blows’
But –as any steam sailor can tell –this can change, very, very quickly.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 255
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/18/2011 8:46:19 AM   
1275psi

8 March 1942

Fire!. Fire, Fire, fire in the main hanger deck! –damage control parties to the scene!

The tannoy rings out the alarm, and the crew react

It is –before we panic – just yet another exercise –and like so many exercises, it goes well.

The fire is “attacked”, then “contained” and finally “extinguished”
But why wouldn’t it –everyone knew it was coming, where it would be held, and of course , every thing worked

On completion, the interested parties gather in the hanger – Minobe, the CPO Shipwright, the leading hands, the men who actually “fought the fire”
The de brief is –as usual, almost perfuctionary – minds wish to be elsewhere – and to be honest, only Minobe shows any keen interest.

It is at this moment that the Charge wanders into the circle –he is normally not involved in Fire drills – his Action/damage post is in the engine room.
For a few moments he listens to the de brief –and shakes his head

Unlike any one else here –he has served on other ships, in other Navies. And although he is a long, long way from the true truth of the matter –only he has a sense that really –Zuiho’s damage Control is –well, can we say it –a joke?

He listens carefully to the final comments –and finally, catches Minobes eye.
“Ahh, Chief –any comments?’

Many things swing on small moments such as this. Tomorrow is Port –and a mountain of things to do –yet, yet he must, must comment.
‘Ahh, yes sir.”
Minobe hesitates –this was not the answer he expected.
The Charge views the men. ‘ I note that every single time we have a hanger fire – the sprinklers run –and we have plenty of fire main pressure. May I ask – how many of you here can actually start the emergency diesel fire pump?”

Silence
Oh crap, the atmosphere says –The Charge is throwing his weight around.
“well, how many? –a show of hands”

A few go up –Stokers mainly –but many do not.
‘’Isn’t that the Stokers job Chief?’ a seamen asks
“Fires are every mans job”
he addresses the Engineer. “If I may suggest sir –next fire –lets have a few things go wrong ? –and see what happens”

He leaves – and behind him Minobes Anger almost explodes……..

He is deep in the bilges –checking yet again the concrete repairs on the shattered sump pipe, when he gets the message -‘Minobe wants to see you in his cabin –now”

‘You do know what happened on the Junyo Charge?”
‘A little, yes”

Minobes eyes harden. His whole body hardens “Do you really think –I –above any one would treat fires lightly on this ship –especially after that!’

I must tread carefully here…………..But,………but I cannot let this lie……….
‘Sir – I speak with the utmost respect. But please hear me out. I have served on British ships –and American ship –merchant I know – but in the ports, I saw many things –and My eyes were opened. “

Minobe remains silent – and I will credit him this –he is still listening.
‘Sir –we need to ramp the training up. Include all the crew. Increase every ones knowledge.”

……I am too busy for this, but its my arse too………

“Sir –let me run the next exercise –let me make it as realistic as possible –and let me show you how far short I think we are”

His Boss opens his mouth. Shuts it –thinks.
“Alright then…………… you can have your exercise………would you like a drink?”

Operational notes
Zuiho continues sailing south towards Soerabaya.
The Japanese Army continues to fight for the reservoir at Singapore –and is still held off.

At Clarke – they remain stalled

However, south of Batavia –three full Divisions entrain south to Soerabaya, where, much to Mr Okura’s chagrin –probably 50% of available sea lift awaits them – many already packed with all the auxillory troops this invasion will require.

PO Hirate, on the Hosho, waits there too –and marvels at the sea might gathered here – he can see all 6 fleet carriers, 4 battleships –and at least three heavy cruisers as well –all merging into the tropical haze.
Even he –a mere tiny cog in the wheel –can feel that he is near the center of great things, mighty things that soon must begin.
He will be well pleased to know –that Zuiho will be in the middle of them.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 256
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/19/2011 7:35:40 AM   
1275psi

9/3/42

For 2 hours Zuiho rides at anchor in the Soerabaya roads –a thick mist lingers in the cool air of the dawn –it will burn off soon enough.

When it does –much like a curtain being drawn –not a few whistles emit from the bridge –and from every viewing advantage point on the ship.

The first sight is the most impressive – Akagi leading Mobile fleet slowly out into the ocean – her bridge dotted with dozens of immaculate white uniforms –uniforms befitting the importance of the coming operation.

The flight deck crews, and pilots on both ships wave enthusiastically to each other –caps in the breeze
On the lower landings, in the gun bays and on the companion ways –other men wave their caps as well –and not a few hearts swell with pride.

Hidaka is on the bridge –“I say “ and he adapts a very British accent “ most impressive hey what?’
Hasegawa is not fooled –the accent is the only way he knows his operations officer can control the emotion of the moment.

But then it is all action, as the morse signals flash –and the messages begin to fly there way from the Flagship.
They boil down to this.

The operation “is on”
And
“how soon will you be ready?’

Hasegawa turns to his Engineer –who too is ogling the view –with different feelings however. The packed anchorage tells him one thing. The cement repairs will have to hold a lot longer yet……
‘How long Engines until we can sail?’
he scratches his chin
“As soon as the Army is loaded –we can go sir –no problems”
‘good – I don’t want to hear of any this time”

By midday, Zuiho is at anchor in the harbour –and alongside a much needed barge –and dozens upon dozens of oil drums.
It will take all night to strike it down –a long, long night indeed.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 257
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/19/2011 7:40:13 AM   
1275psi

Hosho’s squad forms up in the jungle
A feeling of dread fills the men –dread, yet detirmination.
Rumour has it that today the river will be forced…………..

‘men –today we advance”
The Young lieutenant smiles. “ But no chance for Glory I think –the allies have withdrawn – I am pleased to say one of our regiments have outflanked them – they think the jungle impenetrable.
We, of course, think of it as a highway………..”

The little speech goes on for some time, but the message is simple.

15th army, and Hosho, are on the move.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 258
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/21/2011 1:19:13 AM   
1275psi

‘My God Hirate! –you look like half a lobster!’
for a moment Hirate isn’t quite sure whether Okano is being cruel or not –
‘but gee man, it is so good to see you”

Hirate relaxes, takes the proffered hand, and smiles “Yes, it is good to be back friend – I return, a lot uglier, I admit –but ready to sort you lot out.”

His face - half still that horrible raw redness from the recently healed flesh –almost glows in the dimness of the gangway under the flight deck
‘So –how is the bucket going anyway –has it tried to kill any one else yet?

Okano grins –it is so good to see his friend again –and good to see him mentally un scarred. He always thought he was the tougher one ‘No, but you are returning to the beast –port boiler room again I am afraid while……….”
‘While you walk over my almost still warm carcass back to the engine room”

‘Don’t worry friend –I need some one on the throttles I can trust”

It is dawn, 10/3/42, and essentially Zuiho is ready for sea again –chances for dock yard time being nil –the concrete repair will simply have to wait.
Other than the select few, no body of course knows what lies ahead - you can guess –far too many troop ships here at the moment – but the details are vague.

The Charge takes a punt –and while the carrier steams auxillary on the aft unit this week –he totally secures the forward one –and a large number of minor tasks –mainly valve leaks will be tackled.

The main Evaporator too is shut down –and the tube nest, the baffle plates and internal strainers pulled out to be totally cleaned and de scaled.
Nobody tells him anything re the future –but he can guess –soon Zuiho will have a long journey ahead indeed –and water will be critical.

And so Zuiho rests today –baking, sweltering in the stink of Soerabaya harbour, doing what so many in the military do
Hurry up and wait

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 259
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/23/2011 7:43:27 AM   
1275psi

11/3/42

Extract from "Shattering the Sword" a cantona production

...............Mermack simply was a crime. packed with refugees, and the tattered remains of the dutch and british units that had been driven here like sheep before the dogs, it was a city ready for the taking.

To deliver the power of 6 battleships against this almost defencless place could only serve one message - that of terror.
We will never know the cost in civilian lives... it certaintly guarranteed that the resistance offered to the invading Japanese troops would be very in effectual indeed.

................and thus resistance ended. Now the rail system groans under the movement of the japanese army, south to soerabaya, and ultimately the critical battle of the war........

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 260
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/23/2011 7:49:52 AM   
1275psi

11/3/42
Hosho struggles to maintain a grip on the ropes holding this sorry excuse of a bridge aloft over the brown torrent below.
Not for the first time he thanks the heavens that this crossing is not contested -how the command expected to force a crossing in small boats is beyond him.
Moulmien has fallen, taken from the North by enflanking troops, ahead -uncertainty. 15th Army is not large, and should have long ago been reinforced by the 25th - but, as even hosho knew -(everyone knew now) -25th remained locked in struggle for the Singapore fortress -still.

Hosho adjusts his pack, feels the wieght in it - he has "obtained' at least three weeks extra rations -and he intends to hold onto them as long as he can -something, something tells his now , as Burma's jungles loom ahead -that there is a very, very long road ahead indeed......

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 261
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/23/2011 9:44:40 AM   
cantona2

Notice you're a way behind the game Herb

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 262
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/24/2011 8:06:42 AM   
1275psi

have to be mate - although now as the troops storm ashore - and SOME of the plan is revealed -I can catch up a bit.
Hope you are enjoying the AAR friend -i am very, very much enjoying playing such a great opponent. Sorry turns slow -blame that cursed eastern front -the AI keeps whipping my butt!

Anyway -

11/3/42

Midnight

Zuiho’s passageways are dark, lit by the gentle red glow of the night lights.
In the main, the ship is asleep, her single operating boiler room whines away, and the steady hum of the turbo generators can be heard through out the lower hanger decks.

On the gangway, the quarter master and his mate maintain a stoic watch –as so many sailors do – Soerabaya harbour remains busy all night –but little is expected to disturb them in the watch ahead.
They will ring the bells, drink tea, do a set of upper deck rounds, and wonder if the watch will ever end.

The Officer of the day takes a gentle seat into one of the wardroom lounge chairs –its been a long, long day for him, and it will be very good indeed to take the weight of his legs for a moment.

Down in the spaces, the new watch settles in, takes tea too –makes minor adjustments to pressure, and deliberates on when the burner change should take place –no point in rushing it –its all there is to look forward to in the way of action for the next four hours

In damage control central, Lurch pulls out the far too small chair he has to cram his bulk into –places the head set on his head.
‘You guys awake?’
Both repair bases call back –yes – and three men settle in to keep “watch”.
The repair bases are lucky –they have rounds to do during the watch -slep can be kept at bay more easily.
Lurch rests his feet onto the desk –takes out a “manual” –and begins a quiet and furtive “study’

Captain Hasegawa wakes immediately from the gentle shake.
For a moment he struggles to remember why he asked for this shake –and then he does
“Can you bring a tea to the damage control central please?’
The steward hesitates – Damage Control central?
Hasegawa almost growls the next ‘ And if you as much as mention where I am going young man………..”
“Sir! –“
“Just don’t”

In the Lower hanger , a small group of men gather The Charge, Minobe, Hidaka ( roped in –much against his will), Hirate, several others. They all have small armbands, “umpire” gleaming in the half light .

Hasegawa joins them – ‘ready for the fun gentlemen?”
He appears –despite the hour, the tiredness on his face, quite ready ‘for fun”
His elderly eyes even have some twinkle
“What evil do you plan Chief?’
“This sir “ and briefly, he outlines his devilment
‘Excellent” Hasegawa looks around at the quiet hanger –the planes packed in silent.
Few captains ever get a real chance to really find out what is happening below decks – he intends to take this chance with both hands
“Lets go then”

The Captain and Minobe descend down the hatch –Damage control the destination.
Hidaka heads Forward to the Stokers mess, taking Hirate with him.
The Charge, grim faced –descends into the operating boiler room…….

‘I really should get some sleep” Nashiguchi yawns “ what bloody time is it?”
“early yet –just past midnight –Come on –another hand” Diogawa deals the cards
The pot, actually, is quite large –and he IS ahead after all……..

“ok, another then”

And then, above them, that subtle switch, the hum. The tannoy has come alive. Never a good thing in the quiet hours…….

‘Fire, Fire, fire, , fire reported in the Port boiler room……..”
“Ahh crud –there goes the game’
“And sleep”
“Crud”

And then, with out warning –the lights go out.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 263
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/25/2011 4:56:24 AM   
1275psi

It begins in the boiler room
“Okano!” –the charge yells – pipe fire here in the boiler room –then silence you hear! –nothing else –you are dead ok –dead!”

Okano – tea half drunk grins “ This should be good”
He calls DCC, “Fire, fire in the boiler room……….and just to ‘help ‘, he finishes with a scream…………

Okano loves damage control –especially when you are dead.

For Lurch, it’s a nightmare –one moment he is away with Miss Geisha, the next an angry scowling Minobe –and the Captain! -not the captain too! –are charging into the demage control central –and a dozen telephones are ringing, and the Boiler room Communications tube is screaming fire!, fire!.................

Its not a good beginning………….

It is the engine room that reacts first – the watch moving swiftly to respond to the boiler rooms frantic calls – but things abruptly change as the Charge crashes down onto the steaming platform- “Hold Chief! –‘he yells – “its an exercise! –but” and they can but goggle at this –“Kill power through out the ship –everywhere but here and the boiler room –but – and I mean this –for all intents –you, the boiler room –you are dead! –dead! –so kill the power –and lie down! –you are dead!’

The breakers crash, the lights through out Zuiho di, darkness reigns, and some what stunned –the on watch stokers, lie down –‘dead’

The Stokers mess responds well –men spilling out of their hammocks, un erringly reaching for boots and gear in the dark – these men know what to do.
But Hidaka is at one door, and Hirate at the other

‘Hidaka smiles –and there is a certain pleasure in it. ‘Apparently gentlemen, these doors are both jammed –this compartment is full of smoke –and well, you are all dead gentlemen –all of you.”
Some how the avalanche of bodies stops at the door
‘Dead?’
“dead – now please lie down, and relax”

It becomes an “ interesting’ exercise
The XO takes charge of damage central –and performs well.

He remains unruffled as word arrives that the first hose team “has entered the fire area” –some 12 minutes after its reporting

He barely blanches when the Charge “Kills them off”–(the deck plates have vanished here –you are dead gentlemen –dead”)

He remain unruffled when the emergency diesel “wont start”
He only shows minor irritation “that all firemain pressure is lost –the emergency pump won’t start”

He does show some stress, when the charge ‘kills’ the second hose team ( lie down please gentlemen – 3 of you are not wearing your respirators correctly)

even when he is told “the fire has reached the port main magazine – we cannot activate the spray remotely” –he keeps the cool –only swearing a little……….

But now, now Hasegawa cannot.

‘Minobe –stop the exercise –I have seen enough…………….”

Seen enough. Yes, I have seen enough!. Never, never in my life have I seen such impertinence!. Does the Charge really think we are such fools! –so incompetent!
He has deliberately embarrassed me. No Stokers available, pumps won’t start…….
Never. Never…….

Minobe does not look him in the eye, as he pipes the stand down…….

See old man?. The Charge was right. And this was nothing compared to Junyo……
So many things to look at………….
But now I know, we have so many deficiencies…………
Staring with pornography while on watch………………..

The Charge departs the Engine room – zuiho’s lights are back on –and her passageways are filled with men, hoses, water, the usual mess after an exercise.
He ignores the many dark looks directed his way

I have done my job. Why no emergency Diesel? Have they broken it?
Gawd –what a mess here.
Stokers are pleased – not having to play……..

From the Charges diary

Conducted major DCX today –and I was allowed to dictate the exercise.
Glaring deficiencies in knowledge on pumps, systems, many things.
But it is a beginning……….

Captains ship log

Ship conducted major DCX exercise.
I do not consider such unrealistic exercises to be useful at all –they destroy moral, confidence, and my ability to lead into battle.
To state we cannot fight a major fire –while manipulating it so that one third of the crew is un available is –is a cheat.
The officers performed extremely well during this exercise –I wish I could say the same for some of my Senior sailors!

Meeting 0900 hours – - 21st Div HQ.
I have to guarantee a safe escort for three divisions all the way to Perth!
They are bloody mad…………………

Operations LOG

All aircraft at 100% availability
16 fighter pilots for 12 a/c –will need some juggling.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 264
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/25/2011 8:56:38 AM   
1275psi

12/3/42

Its been a long journey to this
That long, long struggle at school –battling the mathematics, the physics.
The fight to turn skinny muscles, a weak frame into a rippled figure, strong and straight.
The endless miles jogging, alone.
The endless nights studying, alone.

The actual achievment of being selected –against all odds

The struggle of recruit training –where, for so much of it ( for really we are such a racist people ) you were alone

The brutally of the training, where pain, despair and doubt were your constant companions.

But the triumph –of your solo –achieved,, of course, alone.

And now, here in the cool of the tropical morning, the jungles bursting into bird song, the sun a mere promise of a glow on the horizon, you prepare to go to war, fighter pilot.

Alone.
You, the cockpit, the enemy and nobody else.

And you would not have it any other way.

There are 4 of you, dressing quietly, chute, map boards, flask, pistol, vest, heavy flight suits, down bulging.
Leather creaks, and it is quiet in this room, quiet except for the breathing.

Fighter pilots have a lot of time to think about the day ahead……………..

A few nods to each other
‘ready?”

yes, you are ready.

You walk deliberately to the KI-44 –its stubby wings glistening from the morning dew –and already the humidity –as minor as it is now –makes you sweat.

The ground chief gives nothing away –nor do you –there is enough tension , enough tightness in your chest as it is.
He nods –bows slightly –and you nod back.
‘Lets be off then”
casual –yet ……………

alone.
Alone you climb in, settle in.
The straps are coming over, the chief efficient, quiet, and you are in place.
Eyes scan, all is good, the stick feels good, good in your hand, and the around the world goes well.

And as hard as you can try to contain it –the excitement rises.

“contact!’

And the great blades turns, holds, kicks –and blurs into the bellowing world of the fighter –and now you really are alone.

Taxi –rough strip –bouncing, bouncing, and you swing her, side to side –blind to all ahead –following the strips edge, and full rudder, hard brake, and aligned.

Last checks –and the sun is rising, flooding you, flooding light and life over you.

And then –the red flare rises –and you cannot think about it anymore –and the engine bellow, blares, roars, and you surge forward, grass blurring, bouncing, lightness, flying, flying, climbing, gear up, and it’s the whole damn world, the enormous sky, and to hell with all below as you climb into the eternal blue.

Four fighters –and the sky

20000 feet, and burma is but a green ocean below –endless , fading into the nothingness of the tropical haze –and the sky is cold, cold, and you barely feel it.
You feel her in your hands, eager, responsive, and you look, look for the enemy.

But the skies above pegu are empty today –the B17’s are elsewhere, and you fly undisturbed.

Too short, and the return begins, and the strip soon looms, down, careful, careful –good, well done! – and the chief is there –smiling.

Your combat debut
Nothing special.
But you have done it –alone.

The Charges son, Lt Fuchida- flying in the (famous?) 47th sentai - conducts an offensive sweep in Burma.
12 pilots for 4 planes –his opportunities may be limited at the moment!

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 265
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/25/2011 9:14:22 AM   
1275psi

13/3/42

Zuiho is a busy little ship.
All day the small boats shuttle to and from her brow –each bearing men erect, white uniforms gleaming.

The climb the gangway –and the pipes shrill, and young seamen –glistening with sweat, and not a little fear escort the heavy braids to the quarter deck –where the briefing will be held in the cooler breeze and shade

Amongst the gleaming white, there is another color –army brown, the generals are arriving.

Hasegawa calls them to order – and it strikes him now the responsibility that rests on his shoulders.
These men have seen so much action already –and the toughness shows.
But he too, has seen action ney?

‘Gentlemen. My task force –acting in concert with combined fleets movements, is to conduct close escort and delivery of your army group to the beaches of Perth.
This is, of course, no small task.”

“No less than taking the bloody place” growls one of the generals.

(and you don’t think I realise this? –I will get you there my friend, but if you fail –we are all doomed)

“agreed – and I suspect the landings will be tough. But get you there I will –the navy, the combined might of our fleet will get you there………….” A long pause “ but only if we stick to certain things”

he turns his attention to the thick document that the navigator nows begins to hand out
“Operational orders one.”
‘ Convoy loading order…………………”

Zuiho sits quietly at anchor today –a routine day, while on her quarter deck, lives are busily dealt the hands of fate.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 266
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/25/2011 9:20:58 AM   
1275psi

14/3/42

Yamamoto is dozing in his cabin of Akagi, her gentle motion, the steady vibration, the long hours and this damn heat all doing there bit.
Captain Hara wakens him -his face pale, eyes excited.

'yes Hara? -the americans have surrended?"

'No -but it might end up being better.........." he hands his Admiral the simple signal flimsy

From 4th fleet
to
Combined Fleet

" Tarawa being bombarded. Many battleships, carriers in support Enemy invasion underway"

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 267
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/27/2011 3:57:08 AM   
PaxMondo

OK, where's today's installment!!!! 

Pax

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 268
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/27/2011 5:29:23 AM   
1275psi

Extract from “Shattering the Sword” a Cantona production

Examination of Japanese historical records now reveal that in early 1940, ADM. Yamamoto submitted a plan, and at times very seriously advocated that any war with the United States should be opened with a surprise naval strike against the American fleet at Hawaii.

Whether the Combined fleet could have actually carried out such an attack –travelling across the entire Pacific un detected, launching a surprise strike (against a nation well aware of onrushing war) and getting away unharmed, we will have to leave to the “what ifs” of history.

But argue for a strike we now know he did –aiming to eliminate the threat to his flank while the DEI’s were invested.
Now –with Singapore still resisting, the Battle for the Phillipines still grinding on, here, in the great array of ships pounding the sands of Tarawa, was the very embodiment of what he wanted to eliminate.

How many curses, we wonder, did he direct towards those that had overruled him on this night, as the United States attempts to sieze an initiative …………

“What defences are there on Tarawa?”
A very pregnant pause
“None sir –the troops were withdrawn to take Guadacanal”
‘So –the island is there’s?”

“With regret, yes”

There is a long silence around the great table that Yamamoto is running the war on –the pacific is a very, very large place –the map , as large as it is, still fails to convey its true size.
But what it does do, is show that Combined fleet is a long, long way away from this sudden, unexpected threat.

Nagumo asks the obvious question, the elephant in the room.
‘The Perth operation sir –should we cancel it?”
Yamamoto thinks

( and this is what happens when you bend to Armies will………..I told them this would happen. Damn the Americans, damn their fleet, and damn the Army – how much longer will they keep me leashed for these damn ‘operations, this endless ego that thinks we can expand forever………damn them.
How far to Tarawa? –weeks? –a month?. And what to retake it with ? – the Navy has few enough troops for this……………I will need divisions, at least!)

But something else enters the mind. Sometimes, the best way to react to a crises is to do…………nothing.
Do they need tarawa at the moment?
Do they really?

“Nagumo.. Some see a crises here. I see an opportunity. The only way we will get that place back is with Army divisions. So –we scratch their back, they scratch our arse no?.
The Perth operation goes ahead. We take Perth, we gather , I would think, 14th army, we retake Tarawa.”

He looks at the men gathered around him “Any questions?’
“’Sir, Yamaguchi offers “ by then, it will be a fortress –taking it might not be so easy”
‘Yes – but think of the investment they will have put into it. I want a carrier clash. I need a carrier clash. Now I have a place one is guaranteed to occur. What better place, than some pimple in the middle of no where?”

For Hosho. Still pushing weary muscles along the excuse of a path Burma calls a road, today is a red letter day.
The airbase of Moulmien is many miles and much sweat behind them, and the great long column of men is now snaking through the jungles well North east of pegu, the next great river to cross still to the west of them.

Almost daily now, they have been bombed, or straffed, B26’s, fighters, the small silver crosses so high of the B17’s –but not today.

Today-at last, Japans eagles are above them, and the snarl of aerial combat fills the air and the valley they march through.
‘Look!”-and a thousand eyes focus on the spaghetti of contrails and combat so many miles above.
One of the crosses has sprouted a dirty ugly brown streak, and the streak grows, goes black –and now it flashes irregularly. Wings spinning, and yes -, yes, one of the B17s is going down.

The column pauses, transfixed as the dying bird flutters to the earth, erupts in a ugly black mushroom over the rise ahead.

“Good” spits Hosho “I was thinking we had been forgotten…….

112th regiment, every man reinvigorated, continues its march north.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 269
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/27/2011 1:16:27 PM   
PaxMondo

Yeah!!! 

Pax

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The little ship that could. Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI