Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Amazing game!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Amazing game!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/11/2010 9:09:59 AM   
WoodMan

Hehe, back many, many years ago I can remember switching from a gamepad to my mouse and keys to play the original Quake, at first I was like, what the hell, this is awkward.  But yeah, after a few weeks you can't go back to a gamepad.  The newest console controllers are far better than the older consoles, I remember Golden Eye on the N64, all my friends loved it, but being the only PC gamer among them I was like, you can't even jump, looking up and down leaves you standing around taking ages for your character to adjust his view unlike the instant reaction of a mouse (like moving your neck/shoulders in real life) and generally thought it was pants 

But, the fact that autoaim is still a feature of console games today while the same games PC version has no autoaim shows the inadequacy of the controller systems.  I wonder what this latest generation of "wand" type controllers will bring for FPS.  Personally all these gimmicky controllers have driven me further away from consoles, the numerous guitar controllers are the funniest, some kids spend 6 months playing these guitar games, but when I was at school kids went from never touching a guitar to playing along to Metallica and Guns n Roses on real guitars in 6 - 9 months   As for the "wands" if I really want to jump around waving my arms about, I'll go and play Tennis not a computerised version

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 31
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/11/2010 7:31:56 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

Hehe, back many, many years ago I can remember switching from a gamepad to my mouse and keys to play the original Quake, at first I was like, what the hell, this is awkward.  But yeah, after a few weeks you can't go back to a gamepad.  The newest console controllers are far better than the older consoles, I remember Golden Eye on the N64, all my friends loved it, but being the only PC gamer among them I was like, you can't even jump, looking up and down leaves you standing around taking ages for your character to adjust his view unlike the instant reaction of a mouse (like moving your neck/shoulders in real life) and generally thought it was pants 

But, the fact that autoaim is still a feature of console games today while the same games PC version has no autoaim shows the inadequacy of the controller systems.  I wonder what this latest generation of "wand" type controllers will bring for FPS.  Personally all these gimmicky controllers have driven me further away from consoles, the numerous guitar controllers are the funniest, some kids spend 6 months playing these guitar games, but when I was at school kids went from never touching a guitar to playing along to Metallica and Guns n Roses on real guitars in 6 - 9 months   As for the "wands" if I really want to jump around waving my arms about, I'll go and play Tennis not a computerised version

Well, the newer console games don't have auto-aim by default....if you can't shoot straight, you don't hit it. Halo and Gears of War are this way for sure...if there is an auto-aim function I've never used it. And like you said, the newer console controllers are far better than the previous ones...and you can jump now.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 32
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/11/2010 11:06:03 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
the newer console controllers are far better than the previous ones...and you can jump now.

ArmA 2 is a PC only game where you can't jump. Lot's of other things you can do though.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 33
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/11/2010 11:41:45 PM   
WoodMan

I think in some of the latest games its no longer autoaim, its a target locking system, i.e. it doesn't help you find your target, but when you do it semi locks on to it to keep track of moving targets etc.  I think the latest Bad Company uses this, perhaps only with Sniper rifles, I'm not sure, haven't played it only read about it, or it might have been CoD6, or possibly both, I can't quite recall.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 34
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/12/2010 1:12:16 AM   
Shark7

quote:

I think in some of the latest games its no longer autoaim, its a target locking system, i.e. it doesn't help you find your target, but when you do it semi locks on to it to keep track of moving targets etc.  I think the latest Bad Company uses this, perhaps only with Sniper rifles, I'm not sure, haven't played it only read about it, or it might have been CoD6, or possibly both, I can't quite recall.

Since I have played a lot of Halo and GoW on X360, I can safely say the default is not a target lock...I know cause I miss a lot.

Basically I use the 'spray and pray' method.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 35
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/12/2010 12:02:50 PM   
WoodMan

Well I haven't done much console gaming over the last year or two, but I found a list of games with autoaim of some kind or another and it was really surprising, 108 games in all, but the newest games released aren't in it so I guess either its out of date, or they stopped putting autoaim in games, but its only about 6 months out so I doubt it.

its big

There is 108 games listed with auto-aim, a lot of them I haven't heard of but some big famous newer ones are:

Red Dead Redemption
Alan Wake
Just Cause 2
Bioshock 2
Dark Void
Halo 3 ODST
Batman Arkham Asylum
Tomb Raider Underworld
Dead Space
Grand Theft Auto 4
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Turok
Mass Effect
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Halo 3
Bioshock
Just Cause
GUN
Halo 2
GTA San Andreas
Far Cry
GTA Vice City

Some of these may also have autoaim on the PC, I think some of the the GTA games have an autoaim option which you are meant to enable if you are using a gamepad, but is off by default controls which include mouse. However, other games like CoD 4 for instance have no autoaim on the PC, but some people manage to download cheats called aimbots which are like an extremely effective version.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 36
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/12/2010 5:08:39 PM   
Igard

It seems to me that if you use a gamepad and you use autoaim, you pretty much concede that mouse and keyboard is the better control method.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 37
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/12/2010 6:05:26 PM   
WoodMan

Sorry for taking this thread so off-topic 

The thing with 3rd person games like GTA, Mass Effect and Gears of War is that the gamepads are pretty good with them (because your target is usually in front of you and visible on the screen, and the new cover systems in these games where you stick to cover slows down the combat a lot), its only when you get 1st person like Call of Duty and your spinning around a lot shooting guys at 360 degrees all around including up and down that a mouse and keyboard becomes clearly the better choice.  Add to that the fact that driving on a gamepad is usually infinately better than on a mouse and keyboard and I can see why someone might want to plug in a gamepad to play GTA on their PC.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 38
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/13/2010 2:07:03 PM   
Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

It seems to me that if you use a gamepad and you use autoaim, you pretty much concede that mouse and keyboard is the better control method.

Or to simply concede that console fps games have come much further than pc fps games have, the last few years..
I havent played a pc fps since Half-Life 2, and dont want to. My 360 is my fps platform now, and i couldnt love it more than i already do.
You might argue that auto-aim is lame, but then again, arent we all lame? Regardless if there is auto-aim or not, we're all just a bunch of nerds playing games. Who cares who's considered "hardcore" (a silly term to begin with), we're all nerds, lets just get along and enjoy games for the fun factor, not for how big your e-peen appears due to how many buttons you can jam into a game (ArmA2, i'm looking at you.. speaking of horrible and unintuitive controls)

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 39
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/13/2010 3:22:00 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Well I haven't done much console gaming over the last year or two, but I found a list of games with autoaim of some kind or another and it was really surprising, 108 games in all, but the newest games released aren't in it so I guess either its out of date, or they stopped putting autoaim in games, but its only about 6 months out so I doubt it.

its big

There is 108 games listed with auto-aim, a lot of them I haven't heard of but some big famous newer ones are:

Red Dead Redemption
Alan Wake
Just Cause 2
Bioshock 2
Dark Void
Halo 3 ODST
Batman Arkham Asylum
Tomb Raider Underworld
Dead Space
Grand Theft Auto 4
Tom Clancy Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Turok
Mass Effect
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Halo 3
Bioshock
Just Cause
GUN
Halo 2
GTA San Andreas
Far Cry
GTA Vice City

Some of these may also have autoaim on the PC, I think some of the the GTA games have an autoaim option which you are meant to enable if you are using a gamepad, but is off by default controls which include mouse. However, other games like CoD 4 for instance have no autoaim on the PC, but some people manage to download cheats called aimbots which are like an extremely effective version.

There may be an auto-aim option or perhaps at lower difficulty levels, but I play on hard so I wouldn't notice it.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 40
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/13/2010 3:44:22 PM   
WoodMan

quote:

There may be an auto-aim option or perhaps at lower difficulty levels, but I play on hard so I wouldn't notice it.

I was talking purely about multiplayer, I don't know how the diffculty settings on single player would affect it

quote:

Or to simply concede that console fps games have come much further than pc fps games have, the last few years..
I havent played a pc fps since Half-Life 2, and dont want to. My 360 is my fps platform now, and i couldnt love it more than i already do.
You might argue that auto-aim is lame, but then again, arent we all lame? Regardless if there is auto-aim or not, we're all just a bunch of nerds playing games. Who cares who's considered "hardcore" (a silly term to begin with), we're all nerds, lets just get along and enjoy games for the fun factor, not for how big your e-peen appears due to how many buttons you can jam into a game (ArmA2, i'm looking at you.. speaking of horrible and unintuitive controls)

It's nothing about being "hardcore", I was only trying to point out how playing games like Call of Duty is a more enjoyable experience on the PC due to the easier to use controls, and also dedicated servers and modding etc.  The auto-aim is not in console games because they assume console gamers are less "hardcore" than PC gamers, they are there because it is particularly hard to track a moving target on a gamepad without some kind of assistance from the computer. 

Older games I think used:

Bullet MagnetismWhen the player fires while aiming near enough to an enemy, the bullets will go straight to the enemy instead of where aimed. The aiming reticule is not moved. 

Lock-on The player uses an input method to trigger a lock-on; the reticule automatically shifts to the nearest enemy and often allows the user to aim at specific parts of the target.

But newer games I think the reason its less noticable and some people don't even know its there its because it uses

Reticule MagnetismWhen the player points the reticule near an enemy, it automatically pulls towards the enemy, closing the aim:fire ratio gap.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 41
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/13/2010 4:43:24 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

I was talking purely about multiplayer, I don't know how the diffculty settings on single player would affect it

quote:

It's nothing about being "hardcore", I was only trying to point out how playing games like Call of Duty is a more enjoyable experience on the PC due to the easier to use controls, and also dedicated servers and modding etc.  The auto-aim is not in console games because they assume console gamers are less "hardcore" than PC gamers, they are there because it is particularly hard to track a moving target on a gamepad without some kind of assistance from the computer. 

Older games I think used:

Bullet MagnetismWhen the player fires while aiming near enough to an enemy, the bullets will go straight to the enemy instead of where aimed. The aiming reticule is not moved. 

Lock-on The player uses an input method to trigger a lock-on; the reticule automatically shifts to the nearest enemy and often allows the user to aim at specific parts of the target.

But newer games I think the reason its less noticable and some people don't even know its there its because it uses

Reticule MagnetismWhen the player points the reticule near an enemy, it automatically pulls towards the enemy, closing the aim:fire ratio gap.

Honestly, I can't say about multiplayer, I've never done a multiplayer game on a console...purely solo there.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 42
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/13/2010 4:57:55 PM   
WoodMan

Hehe, my last post on the subject because it looks like I caused some negativity/argument.  I wasn't trying to claim that consoles are worse/better than PCs or bashing consoles in anyway, my original point was that its my opinion, and not fact, that FPS games are suited more to the PC than consoles, this is evident in that games like CoD6 which are exactly the same on console and PC are worse than Cod 4 because there are no dedi servers to meet up with your regular gang and have admins etc and you have to pay for the new maps rather than make your own.  The controller thing I didn't mean to cause a controversy, its simply quicker/easier to aim using a mouse, but I'm not saying console controllers are useless and they are better for many types of games, like platformers, racers, flying games etc, 3rd person is debateable (I prefer GTA on console for instance) but first person I think its the general opinion of most people who have used both, that a mouse is easier than a gamepad.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 43
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/13/2010 11:45:05 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

quote:

I'm not a nerd, I'm an incredibly seductive, charming, charismatic, young stud!

Ok I paraphrased that from Red Dwarf, but I'm not insinuating anyone is lame, believe me when I say, I would never call another human being that. I also hate that word 'hardcore', all I like is a game with a bit of a challenge. That's why I like ArmA 2 (belive me I know it's not perfect).

If you're good at FPS games with a control pad, then I salute you, seems very difficult to a chap like me (a PC gamer).

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 44
RE: Amazing game!!! - 9/14/2010 1:07:02 AM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur

quote:

I'm not a nerd, I'm an incredibly seductive, charming, charismatic, young stud!

Ok I paraphrased that from Red Dwarf, but I'm not insinuating anyone is lame, believe me when I say, I would never call another human being that. I also hate that word 'hardcore', all I like is a game with a bit of a challenge. That's why I like ArmA 2 (belive me I know it's not perfect).

If you're good at FPS games with a control pad, then I salute you, seems very difficult to a chap like me (a PC gamer).

I'm better with the gamepad to, and I know why. First real shooters I ever played were on console...so when I try on a computer with a mouse/keyboard, its actually too responsive and I over correct. I actually get my screen spinning to the point I get dizzy and nauseated.

It probably has more to do with how we learned as opposed to which is actually better, had I started playing shooters on PC instead of console, I'd probably be in the other camp on the isse.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 45
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Amazing game!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI