Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

F-5A Lightning, What's the point?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> F-5A Lightning, What's the point? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
F-5A Lightning, What's the point? - 8/13/2002 12:13:38 PM   
Mojo

So these guys go out like clockwork with their Kodak Brownies and rip off a few snaps twice a day but what do they add to the intelligence I get about the enemy?

I don't recall ever seeing a report where they actually spotted anything like enemy TFs on the way to their photo shoot or on the way home.

For all I know they are taking "National Geographic" type pics of the native girls at Lunga and selling them to the Marines at Luganville if you know what I mean. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge;)

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom
Post #: 1
- 8/13/2002 12:27:24 PM   
strollen

Short answer they add a lot of intelligence. The number and type of planes, damage to the base. The number of troops and type at a base etc. The also spot TFs docked at a base. But I don't think unless they are on naval search they spot TFs on there way.

Personally, I find the F5A squadron to be one of the most valuable squadrons in the came, especially against a PBEM opponent.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 2
- 8/13/2002 12:41:49 PM   
Mojo

Maybe I'm misusing them then. That's no surprise.

I just see them taking picture after picture and never really see anything specific get reported.

And not being a PBEM'er I haven't experienced that

Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 3
- 8/13/2002 12:48:58 PM   
Possum

Hello Mojo
Maybe it's my imagination, but Port, Airfield, and Ground attack missions seem to come off better if you have sent the recon boys in several days before, and every day, up and including the day of the Raid(s)

"We're having a war, and we want you to come!"
So the pig began to whistle and to pound on a drum.
"We'll give you a gun, and we'll give you a hat!"
And the pig began to whistle when they told the piggies that.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 4
- 8/13/2002 1:13:23 PM   
strollen

Mojo, I am not sure exactly what you are expecting. There aren't any recon report per se.

So try this experiement, station the F5A in Port Morsby set the mission as Recon and target Rabaul. Run flights for 2 or 3 days. Than click on Rabaul, note the #aircraft, details of grounds units etc. any damage about the base. Stop running the recon flights for several days at Rabaul. Each day continue clicking on Rabaul after a few days you will notice that the information you have about Rabaul is much less detailed. Eventually the only info you will have about the base is its size, the fact there are aircraft and ships stationed there. You probably will know the number of ground units and type stationed there but not number of troops, but after a while even that information disappears.

It may very well help make raids more accurate, I am not sure about that. The are very important for getting an idea about how much damage raids have been doing.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 5
- 8/13/2002 1:14:30 PM   
Mojo

I'll have to pay more attention then Possum.

I'd still rather have a squadron of "real" P-38s though:D But that's just me.

Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 6
Recon aircraft - 8/13/2002 1:35:56 PM   
Ron Saueracker

They help alot, IMHO. My one query, and minor disappointment, is that recon squadrons set to "recon" missions under CO discretion only send ac over strike targets. You must order them to every enemy base, one per turn, to get them to do their real job....reconaisance of enemy bases. And considering there are usually around 10 ac in a squadron, the majority of the ac just sit on the tarmac saying, "Boy, its a good thing the Ops officer can only write one target on the board everyday, otherwise we'ed have to drop these brewskies and fly once in a while!":D

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 7
- 8/13/2002 2:07:04 PM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by strollen
[B]Mojo, I am not sure exactly what you are expecting. There aren't any recon report per se.

.... [/B][/QUOTE]

What am I expecting? Beats me. ;) Just trying to figure out how to best utilize these guys and the info they are collecting.

(That and work off the caffeine and beer buzz I have going after playing golf tonight so I can get some freaking sleep. Two beers over and about a gallon of iced tea. Gotta work tomorrow)

I figure the info they bring back is being used somehow I just don't know it figures into game play.

Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 8
- 8/13/2002 2:07:50 PM   
Mojo

It's good work if you can get it Ron;)

Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 9
ANother use... - 8/13/2002 6:39:20 PM   
GulfXray

Another use is they'll give you an idea of the CAP level over a potential target before you send in strike a/c.

Thanks
Shawn
Bartlesville, OK

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> F-5A Lightning, What's the point? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI