Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Full Automation?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Full Automation? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Full Automation? - 9/6/2010 9:56:54 PM   
PotatoKing

Is it possible to setup automation so I can step away and let the game run? I tried turning everything on and I still get popups when special sites are found asking if I want to investigate and the game won't do anything until I make a decision.

Thx.

Mando
Post #: 1
RE: Full Automation? - 9/7/2010 4:41:37 AM   
Shark7

Entirely possible. You simply need to go into options and turn everything to fully automated, the AI will then handle everything for you. But be warned, it may not do what you would have done.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to PotatoKing)
Post #: 2
RE: Full Automation? - 9/7/2010 6:57:14 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

Entirely possible. You simply need to go into options and turn everything to fully automated, the AI will then handle everything for you. But be warned, it may not do what you would have done.

I think his problem is with the pop ups, which you can turn off simply by clicking options in the main or game menu and un-checking all the Pop Up Messages in the bottom right.

However Shark7's words are wise, the AI is no where near as competent as you in running an empire, however if you want to try this as purely a educational approach by all means experiment away.

< Message edited by lordxorn -- 9/7/2010 7:01:23 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 3
RE: Full Automation? - 9/15/2010 8:12:47 AM   
Aures

You cannot turn off all the pop-ups, even with all the automation options enabled and all pop-up messages turned off. In 1.0.6.0 you still get pop-ups advising you an AI empire has declared war on you, asking whether to investigate ruins/derelicts and that your empire has split due to a civil war.

I know this because for my first game I created a large, old, technologically advanced human empire on a 1400 star old map with 19 other random empires and let the game run itself. I don't trust AI to do the right things and I wanted to see how it performed so I ran it completely hands off like some kind of Alife experiment. I had to keep acknowledging that another empire had declared war on me and that I did want ruins/derelicts to be investigated. I also had the pleasure of watching my empire split in two due to a civil war (and I am considering actually playing that game hands on at some point with the idea that I was put in charge of the "loyalist" faction after the civil war started) and I received a pop up message to that effect.

So no, you cannot set up the game so that you can walk away for hours and let the game run itself. The next time a ship finds something ancient or another empire declares war on you the game will pause until you get back to it. In my experiment that might be several seconds on 4x speed up to a good fraction of an hour. Ironically to have the game run itself you would have to turn some of the diplomacy options to manual and be in at war with everyone already. Also you would have to do something about all the ancient stuff such as having found all of it already. Then you would be able to walk away and let the game play itself, at least until you split due to civil war. But, civil war will probably happen sooner rather than later if your empire is at war with every other empire.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 4
RE: Full Automation? - 9/15/2010 6:41:03 PM   
Simulation01

I wanted the ability to fully automate my empire too.  However, the reason I wanted to do that was just to kinda...watch a 4x movie so to speak.  It's akin to watching different Ant colony's wage war.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Aures)
Post #: 5
RE: Full Automation? - 9/15/2010 6:47:39 PM   
J HG T

quote:

ORIGINAL: Simulation01

I wanted the ability to fully automate my empire too.  However, the reason I wanted to do that was just to kinda...watch a 4x movie so to speak.  It's akin to watching different Ant colony's wage war.

Evil...

Full automation would be nice little feature though.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 6
RE: Full Automation? - 9/15/2010 8:07:54 PM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: J HG T

Evil...

Yep, I'm that kinda bad.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 7
RE: Full Automation? - 1/8/2011 11:47:13 AM   
Data

still the case in the expansion or it can be done now?

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Full Automation? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI