Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion" Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion" - 10/14/2010 1:53:40 AM   
wodin

Came across this whilst browsing Amazon for some new reads....

It's an alternative history novel based upon events during Operation Sealion...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seelöwe-Nord-Germans-Are-Coming/dp/1907294384/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I23AT98QZAX3EB&colid=2VYVCXQRXDQX1

Post #: 1
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/14/2010 11:18:19 AM   
sprior

SPI's "Sealion" had exactly this scenario in it back in the 70's.

How does he account for the Kreigsmarine being down to half a dozen ships getting past the RN closer to it's bases and aircover being even dodgier over Yorkshire than Kent?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 2
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/14/2010 12:09:42 PM   
wodin

Haven't read it....I expect it starts with the premise that the luftwaffe carried on targeting the radars and airfields rather than the cities there by taking out the RAF. Then with air superiorty maybe they managed to nullify the RN. Again I'm guessing here....has a couple of good reviews and as its an alternative novel I'm not as anal about things, as long as it's a good read.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/14/2010 1:02:55 PM   
JudgeDredd

Bit pricey for a book for me tbh...especially a fiction one and I can't find it in the library system either

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/14/2010 2:14:21 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
Bit pricey for a book for me tbh...especially a fiction one and I can't find it in the library system either

It's brand new - saw an add for it in this month's Wargames Illustrated magazine and added it to my Amazon wishlist. I don't care about the price as I've trained my relatives to go look for a present for me there

To answer the whole RN + RAF vs Kriegsmarine + Luftwaffe thingie : (from the description) the book seems to focus on the ground combat, especially the tactical stuff, and handwaves the rest which is good enough for me.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/14/2010 3:13:12 PM   
ezzler

If you've ever gamed it with historical forces its impossible. Even with the short Dover - Calais its impossible.
All the Stukas you can fly into the channel aren't going to sink the destroyers before they sink all the landing craft.
And historically when adding total British aircraft against total German the figures are fairly even.

The normal 'alternate' is to allow Bismark and Tirpitz, have no German naval losses in Norway, or no Norwegian campaign, more effective U-boats torpedoes and a lot, lot more magnetic mines available in 1940.
The Paratroopers need a few extra divisions and radar is knocked out.
I have the HPS game but have only played it in a limited fashion. Must dig it out and try again.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 6
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/14/2010 6:31:45 PM   
wodin

If a book is good I will pay for it...I have paid £60 for Islands of Fire which is probably the best book I've read and double bonus it was about Stalingrad...also I have a private press WW1 memmior which is worth around £160 to £260...I was lucky and got it for £25!!

I don't mind paying abit extra to small publishers aswell...

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 7
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/15/2010 2:07:44 PM   
tprice

It does sound interesting. I love war games. I'll have to check it out!

< Message edited by tprice -- 10/16/2010 2:53:13 PM >

Writing a good Essay is 3% inspiration, 7% perspiration, and 90% desperation.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 8
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/15/2010 4:02:36 PM   
SeaMonkey

I have wargamed this scenario to death, mostly using the SC platform. So what is the key? Seems we all agree, neutralization of the RN. How do you do that? A combination of air, subsurface and surface forces luring the RN into a disadvantageous scenario for them. Isn't that how most successful campaigns are initiated?

So really, all that needs to be discussed is the strategy and tactics around implimentation of the "plan".

(in reply to tprice)
Post #: 9
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/15/2010 4:04:07 PM   
JudgeDredd

I can see spam heading right round the corner...

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 10
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/15/2010 4:06:38 PM   
Toby42

I seem to think reading at one time, if Britain lost the air battle, the Royal Navy was prepared to do a suicide mission to stop the invasion?

Tony

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 11
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/15/2010 4:07:25 PM   
SeaMonkey

So JD, you're saying the lure will work?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 12
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/15/2010 4:42:12 PM   
wodin

Lets remember it's a novel not a alternative historical analysis...so I'm cool about reading a novel whose events might not have worked out in real life...because we know it didn't work out in real life...plus it's about a battle that never happened so it doesn't have to play within historical rules..

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 13
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/15/2010 6:08:57 PM   
D.Ilse

Can I get a working link.

I am searching the Title on Amazon.com, and can't get any hits today..although I've seen it in the past, doing a search for 1940 or Norway 1940 I think(I was looking for a copy of Hitler's Pre-emptive War, The battle for Norway 1940.)

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 14
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/16/2010 12:08:18 AM   
wodin

Seelöwe Nord Germans Are Coming by Andy Johnson...you should be able to find it then

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/16/2010 12:09:13 AM >

(in reply to D.Ilse)
Post #: 15
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/18/2010 12:11:12 AM   
rhondabrwn

Sadly... no Kindle version yet.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 16
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/18/2010 1:25:51 AM   
wodin

Not sure you will get a Kindle version as I iamgine it being a small publisher and an unknown author...

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 17
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/18/2010 6:58:36 AM   
MikeBrough

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Not sure you will get a Kindle version as I iamgine it being a small publisher and an unknown author...

I'd really hoped that the Kindle, and other e=readers, might be the ideal platform for less popular books - no up-front printing or storage costs, effectively print-on-demand.

Fingers crossed.

Mike Brough
Proud to be an Arab

Be sceptical of the things you believe are false; be very sceptical of the things you believe are true.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 18
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/18/2010 9:21:19 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaMonkey

So JD, you're saying the lure will work?

And there it is - tprice.

I saw several postings from tprice in one day, all seemingly generic statements...and now there's a link on his posts

He must've forgot to put that in and got told off and made to come back by the big spam boss to put the link in.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to SeaMonkey)
Post #: 19
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/18/2010 11:33:29 AM   
wodin

do spammers get paid???

Is that another one above you JD?

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 20
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/18/2010 12:09:25 PM   
smbrown

You should also check out the supaswap site at http://supaswap.net/
its a place for all things gaming and you can swap old games withing the community

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 21
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/18/2010 12:47:34 PM   
JudgeDredd

uhuh - and below u - they've had a splurge again.

I'm a little confuddled - I'd have thought they would hit more mainstream forums?? Maybe they're not the brightest spammers - or Matrix is some sort of practice place for testing your spamability??

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to smbrown)
Post #: 22
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/18/2010 6:16:37 PM   
wodin

They need to start doing something about it...maybe if you use an ISP email account you are OK..if you use hotmail..yahoo etc you can'y register

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/18/2010 7:33:03 PM   
JudgeDredd

Not a good way to administer it Wodin...and one that some sites use that really bugs me...I have a googlemail account and previously had a yahoo account...they are popular accounts and just because I have one, doesn't make me a spammer. The reason I don't have an ISP account is they refused to utilise ANY basic anti spam software - I was getting around 20 emails a day and at least over 15 were spam.

I'm still at a loss as to why they seem rampant here!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 24
RE: Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion&q... - 10/20/2010 4:24:19 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

The "Galaxy Unknown" series by Thomas DePrima is available only in Kindle form as it is self-published by the author and carried by Amazon so I think the opposite may be true!

I've also really enjoyed this series so far (just started on the 3rd book) and the writing gets better with each effort.. not amateurish at all for a self-publication.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Looks an interesting read "Operation Sealion" Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI