Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Spotter planes and CAP.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Spotter planes and CAP. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Spotter planes and CAP. - 8/20/2002 2:15:29 PM   
Sam-I-am

Could someone explain why the spotter planes are not being attacked by the carrier CAP.

Or

Why the flak is not being used against them.

Thanks in advance.
Post #: 1
It is - 8/20/2002 2:36:40 PM   
Luskan

Every now and then you'll get "H6K Mavis was damaged by flak" etc. etc. etc. The flak part of the game certainly culls out spotter planes as allied AA gets better and better.

CAP I'm not so sure about. I guess it is because a plane is a little dot in the sky, whereas a ship is a big chunk of metal that is steaming smoke and leaves a huge wake that can be seen from a long way away. So spotter plane sees the ship, but the ship (and fighters circling the ship) don't have as easy a time spotting the recon plane.

Also, if your plane is reconning at 20,000 ft, by the time those zeros climb up that high you've already landed back at your airbase. In all the flights sims I've played, recon is by far the easiest mission to survive.

With dancing Bananas and Storm Troopers who needs BBs?

(in reply to Sam-I-am)
Post #: 2
Search planes shot down - 8/20/2002 7:47:49 PM   
dtx

During air search phases, in addition to the flak messages, I constantly get messages that pilot X is credited with kill 8, pilot y with 6, etc. I've assumed that they were shooting down enemy search planes.

(in reply to Sam-I-am)
Post #: 3
Re: Search planes shot down - 8/20/2002 7:52:17 PM   
Spooky

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dtx
[B]During air search phases, in addition to the flak messages, I constantly get messages that pilot X is credited with kill 8, pilot y with 6, etc. I've assumed that they were shooting down enemy search planes. [/B][/QUOTE]

Just take a look at the daily airplanes losses report, you will often see that 1 or 2 planes have been shot down by CAP or flak ... and these planes were recon planes :)

(in reply to Sam-I-am)
Post #: 4
Re: Spotter planes and CAP. - 8/21/2002 1:59:48 AM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sam-I-am
[B]Could someone explain why the spotter planes are not being attacked by the carrier CAP.

Or

Why the flak is not being used against them.

Thanks in advance. [/B][/QUOTE]1) They are, and
2) It is.

In just my most recent turn played a PBY was damaged by flak from a sub, and I've seen search planes damaged by flak. I have also hit search planes around my carrier TFs. I believe that, for the most part, these things happen but don't trigger the combat animations.

As Spooky says, you will also notice losses to AA and air-to-air which came about with no obvious combat shown.

(in reply to Sam-I-am)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Spotter planes and CAP. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI