Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/14/2010 9:50:18 PM   
Igard

Thanks for that, Ed. I'm just looking around for fighter images before the expansion comes out when I'll be too engrossed to do anything else but fight off the Shakturi!

Now that you've mentioned the Borg, there is a requirement that I'll need before I begin. I posted a long time ago in the tech support forum and in the Modders Wishlist thread.

When adding a new ship image, the game measures the extents of the pixels within the image and scales the ships smaller for those images that fill most of the canvas, and larger for those that don't. This means that for ships that are square shaped or circle shaped (they fill most of the canvas) appear very small when compared to 'cigar' shaped vessels.

The Borg don't look very intimidating when they're flying around in tiny little ships.

I don't know if this has been addressed in the expansion.  I have a feeling it hasn't been a priority, and that's fine, but I'd like to see some way of making modded ships the correct scale before the Borg make an appearance.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 271
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/14/2010 10:17:23 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Thanks for that, Ed. I'm just looking around for fighter images before the expansion comes out when I'll be too engrossed to do anything else but fight off the Shakturi!

Now that you've mentioned the Borg, there is a requirement that I'll need before I begin. I posted a long time ago in the tech support forum and in the Modders Wishlist thread.

When adding a new ship image, the game measures the extents of the pixels within the image and scales the ships smaller for those images that fill most of the canvas, and larger for those that don't. This means that for ships that are square shaped or circle shaped (they fill most of the canvas) appear very small when compared to 'cigar' shaped vessels.

The Borg don't look very intimidating when they're flying around in tiny little ships.

I don't know if this has been addressed in the expansion.  I have a feeling it hasn't been a priority, and that's fine, but I'd like to see some way of making modded ships the correct scale before the Borg make an appearance.

oh boy, I can see it now...Borg Sugar Cubes of Doom!

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 272
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/14/2010 10:51:02 PM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

I'd like to know how many fighter classes are there? Are there interceptors and bombers, so for modding purposes, I'll need 2 new fighter images?

There are two separate tech classes Igard. One for fighters/interceptors (who defend attack other fighters only)and one for bombers (who attack only ships and bases). Concerning modding though, the fighter/bomber images are rendered so small, providing different images for each race style may not be feasible.
There are currently an image for a fighter and a bomber included in each of the original shipsets that could just be duplicated for any new shipsets you create/add. Just remember that each shipset family need to have a fighter and bomber image included. For instance, a fighter bay contains only four craft, two of each. A destroyer design normally is the smallest size ship which carries a fighter bay (fighter bay size including craft use A LOT of component points). Whereas a Capital Ship design can be used as either a hypothetical multi-purpose Battlecruiser with 2 to 4 Fighter Bays, Troop Compartment(s), heavy
weapons etc., or just as a Fleet Carrier with 4 to 8 Fighter Bays and defensive weapons only. You are,
of course though, only limited by the ship size which depends on your Construction Bay tech level.

Sorry to be long-winded Igard, I know you know most of this. I just thought it might be info for
other readers to know. Get ready to have MUCH FUN with this expansion!
I CAN'T WAIT to see what you do with your Star Trek Mods and your ingenuity. Remember...don't
forget the Reman and the BORG!

Fighters can attack ships too right? Not just bombers.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 273
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/14/2010 11:06:50 PM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, it's just that fighters do a lot less damage than bombers, so attacking warships with them is not that effective.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 274
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/14/2010 11:12:38 PM   
tjhkkr

Borg? Shoot... a wing of 72 Tie Fighers, 36 Tie Bombers and a couple of ION cannons to short out the Borg coffee makers...
Borg ain't nothing now that we got fighters. :)
Okay enough trash talking; I am just havin fun you ST souls...

If Erik is out there, are all races required to have fighters... (and no, I am not against that since I really wanted it), I am just curious.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 275
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/14/2010 11:24:37 PM   
Simulation01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Yes, it's just that fighters do a lot less damage than bombers, so attacking warships with them is not that effective.

Regards,

- Erik

Good deal! Thanks!

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 276
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/14/2010 11:30:45 PM   
Footslogger

Don't forget Khan and his augments as pirates.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 277
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/14/2010 11:33:48 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr
If Erik is out there, are all races required to have fighters... (and no, I am not against that since I really wanted it), I am just curious.

I expect that each empire will eventually research them. If each empire has 2 tech focuses, then I'd imagine some races would research fighters immediately whereas others would take some time but get there eventually.

This makes me wonder if it would be a good idea to create another 2 racial attributes for tech that is to be ignored. So if you want you can create a race that never researches missiles and fighters, then, you can.

Tj, have you seen the movie Fanboys? There's some really funny Trek-bashing in it. It even made me laugh.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 278
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/14/2010 11:38:26 PM   
Igard

This is starting to turn into a mod thread. Sorry but I'd really like Elliot to be made aware of this and perhaps find some sort of workaround for it. I know the expansion is being released, but I think this is important for the extended mod support.

Here's a link to the tech support thread I made a while back with a borg cube available for download:- http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2513492

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 279
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/14/2010 11:53:24 PM   
Spacecadet

Fighters.
Torpedo Bombers.
Missile Bombers.

I can't remember if the Bombers replace the other model when researched or if they intermix though . . . 

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 280
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/15/2010 12:18:48 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

Fighters.
Torpedo Bombers.
Missile Bombers.

I can't remember if the Bombers replace the other model when researched or if they intermix though . . . 

I believe that the fighters and bombers are built to the latest tech for them that has
been researched. That said, meaning newly built ships and bases which have fighter bay
components will have fighters and bombers that are the latest tech craft. I also believe
that current existing ships' fighter bays will produce the latest tech craft when:
A) Those fighters have to be replaced due to combat.
B) When the ship / base containing the fighter bay(s) is retrofitted.
This has been my experience at least.
....In response to Tjhkkr's question...
I also believe that ALL race shipsets MUST have a fighter and bomber in their set or it will of course cause game errors when the AI builds a ship with fighter bays and/or researches the next level of fighter craft.

Thanks Erik for the clarification that fighters DO also attack ships and bases, but with much
less effect.

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 12/15/2010 12:19:55 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 281
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/15/2010 1:08:33 AM   
Footslogger

You could call this mod "The Distant Worlds SE Mod" se=startrek edition

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 282
RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi - 12/15/2010 4:33:34 AM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet

Fighters.
Torpedo Bombers.
Missile Bombers.

I believe that the fighters and bombers are built to the latest tech for them that has
been researched. That said, meaning newly built ships and bases which have fighter bay
components will have fighters and bombers that are the latest tech craft. I also believe
that current existing ships' fighter bays will produce the latest tech craft when:
A) Those fighters have to be replaced due to combat.
B) When the ship / base containing the fighter bay(s) is retrofitted.
This has been my experience at least.
....In response to Tjhkkr's question...
I also believe that ALL race shipsets MUST have a fighter and bomber in their set or it will of course cause game errors when the AI builds a ship with fighter bays and/or researches the next level of fighter craft.

Thanks Erik for the clarification that fighters DO also attack ships and bases, but with much
less effect.

Go look at the end of the Weapons Tech Research tree . . . you'll see why I'm not too sure

EDIT:

Sorry, I meant the Weapons Tech tree.

< Message edited by Spacecadet -- 12/15/2010 4:51:28 AM >

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 283
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Return of the Shakturi Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI