Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 8:56:12 AM   
davidjruss

With , it seems , the manual search arc being "bugged" at present , would a "computerised" search ( such as ASW ) from an aircraft based on a coast hex , search the inland hexes as well as the sea ones ?

To prevent my relatively few search aircraft looking in the most inappropriate areas I tend to manually select which degrees of compass bearing to use.

I therefore hope that the search problem can be resolved.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 31
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 2:58:58 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I can understand your point. It's just that search arcs was one of the extra details added to AE that I really enjoy. It's much more fun to setup search arcs (and verify that you have the right coverage by hitting the "z" key) than it is to train pilots. Both of these are an aspect of a level of detail that the theatre commander would not be bothering with, and so are extra work that really didn't need to be in there. However, the consequences of having search arcs in the game and not using them are far less devastating than having pilot training in the game and not using it.

To each his own... my hopes are that they will be fixed.

Ok, I will concede that if they do institute working search arcs that I most likely will "not" delete the game from my hard drive....

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 32
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 8:27:47 PM   
TommyG

I have recently discovered that many things I learned in WitP or early AE, no longer apply. I want to make sure I have the current staus of search arcs correct. I am now setting all seach at "random arc" and when I press the Z key I get a search arc of 0-30 degrees. Am I doing this right? I do not want to search 0-30, which is usually over the desert.
As an an aside, I am aganist micromanaging anything I don't want to micromanage. Getting to see the pretty green search patterns is, to me, worth the time to set it up. Pulling out pilots one at a time with multiple clicks to refill a soon-to-be disbanded squadron is not. I spend more time on pilot training than all other elements of a turn combined.
Since this is obviously a matter of personal taste, I'll live with all the details.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 33
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 8:29:41 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: TommyG
As an an aside, I am aganist micromanaging anything I don't want to micromanage. Getting to see the pretty green search patterns is, to me, worth the time to set it up. Pulling out pilots one at a time with multiple clicks to refill a soon-to-be disbanded squadron is not. I spend more time on pilot training than all other elements of a turn combined.Since this is obviously a matter of personal taste, I'll live with all the details.

+1 (and I would like to raise that by 10 to the 29th power)

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 34
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 9:11:24 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

I have recently discovered that many things I learned in WitP or early AE, no longer apply. I want to make sure I have the current staus of search arcs correct. I am now setting all seach at "random arc" and when I press the Z key I get a search arc of 0-30 degrees. Am I doing this right? I do not want to search 0-30, which is usually over the desert.
As an an aside, I am aganist micromanaging anything I don't want to micromanage. Getting to see the pretty green search patterns is, to me, worth the time to set it up. Pulling out pilots one at a time with multiple clicks to refill a soon-to-be disbanded squadron is not. I spend more time on pilot training than all other elements of a turn combined.
Since this is obviously a matter of personal taste, I'll live with all the details.

Tommy, until they are fixed in the next "major" code patch, I would recommend not using the search arcs at all. The best way is to not select anything for them, not even the "random arc". You should not see any pretty search patterns on the map when you press the Z key.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 35
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 9:15:43 PM   
bradfordkay

Mike, how can you reset to "no search arcs" without hitting the "random arc" key?

If you stand the unit down and then reset it to any percentage of naval search it will bring back up the same search arc you had previously set.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 36
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 9:34:12 PM   
witpqs

Set the arc as "000 to 000".

EDIT: Which it should automatically do when you press the "Reset Arc" button.

Post #: 37
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 9:36:15 PM   
USSAmerica

OK, sorry, I guess I misunderstood the "random" setting.  If the start and end are both set to 000, then effectively the search arcs are turned off.  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 38
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 9:53:31 PM   
bradfordkay

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I was always concerned that setting the arc as 000 to 000 would set up a 360 degree search arc, as opposed to a random search arc.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 39
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 9:59:40 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

quote:

I was always concerned that setting the arc as 000 to 000 would set up a 360 degree search arc, as opposed to a random search arc.

Michael clarified that a while back - it isn't actually a random arc. It uses the old code where there is a chance to detect any TF within range.

Post #: 40
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 10:12:27 PM   
TommyG

I'm glad I asked. So, are we agreed then, that you hit "reset" then leave it the hell alone?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 41
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 10:54:34 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I'm glad I asked. So, are we agreed then, that you hit "reset" then leave it the hell alone?

Yes - but - I have seen what was mentioned above. Sometimes when you stand down a unit, then later on bring it back on line for search it will 'remember' some old arc it was using. So you might have to reset again! Just be alert.

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 42
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/2/2010 11:50:44 PM   
TommyG

Roger that

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 43
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/3/2010 12:00:49 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

Yes - but - I have seen what was mentioned above. Sometimes when you stand down a unit, then later on bring it back on line for search it will 'remember' some old arc it was using. So you might have to reset again! Just be alert.

Nawww... it will remember the last search arc setting. I'm pretty experienced at this as I really liked messing with my search arcs!

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 44
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/3/2010 1:09:47 AM   
TommyG

Back to being confused. Mr Bradfordkay, do you or do you not confirm that hitting "reset arc" is the current best approach to an effective search regarless of direction?

Post #: 45
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/3/2010 1:10:34 AM   
bradfordkay

Yes. Click the "reset arc" button and your squadron will be set to random arcs.

Should you ever stand that squadron down and then bring it back online it will remember the random arc setting.

If you had it set on, say, searching from 030 to 150 degrees and stood it down the next time you ordered it to search it would remember the 030 to 150 degree setting. It always remembers the last setting when being re-issued orders to search after being stood down.

Does it all make sense now?

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 12/3/2010 1:13:01 AM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 46
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/3/2010 1:34:52 AM   
TommyG

I have my marching orders. I am grateful for all input.

Post #: 47
RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... - 12/5/2010 5:33:45 PM   
Alpha77

Just set the arc to 0 to 0. I did this right after had I read from the bug. I was very glad about that bug to be honest. The searches now work much better with 0 to 0 search (and lesss micro). In fact I have now more search assets then the Jap and in late 42 and all the troubles of earlier times seem to be gone (means Jap sneaking behind my lines and big TFs not detected etc.). Even ASW searches are good now (just use enough planes best with low altitude for subs). However it seems planes don´t KILL subs so you still need to send out out surface ASW forces. Recently a search found a sub, but the turn after the target was lost (symbol disapaered). I still had sent out 2 DDs, and guess what they found the sub 2 turns later and DCed it

But this is an older game version....

(in reply to TommyG)
Post #: 48
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Search Arcs problem seems to still be flawd (bugg) ... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI