Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal (No Jrcar or Tony)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal (No Jrcar or Tony) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/22/2011 11:53:38 PM   
aoffen

Good points all and part of the reason I am torn. I have the play it safe angel on my left shoulder and the kick their arse angel on the right. Both make sound arguments. A new development. Just got the turn back and looks like KB may have just appeared off the Australian coast South of Sydney. He has gone deep. Looks like there is a good opportunity to run south from Wake through the Marshalls with only Betties to worry about. Now I know where all their main surface assets are, its worth a shot.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 61
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/24/2011 1:25:51 PM   
Cyber Me

quote:

ORIGINAL: aoffen

quote:

What were the damage stas of the BB that foundered?

Something like
Sys 70
Float 30
Eng 18

Speed was 14 or 15 kts. Thought it would be OK despite the sys damage.
You live you learn

Hi just to try and clear up what happened to your BB that sank off PH. A ship will sink when sys damage gets to 99, not the float damage. Sys damage represents the condition of the ship and effects the systems on that ship like DC, fire0fighting, pumps, I also think guns and AA, radar- when a ship's sys damage gets to 99 it sinks. Float damage represents the condition of the hull- but not it's leakiness (that is the sys). So your BB with sys=70 and float=30 had a much higher chance of sinking than a BB with sys=30 and float=70. The only way to move your BB safely from PH to WC is to repair their sys damage as low as possible by using the pier side repair option. A BB with 0 sys and 80 float will have a much greater chance of making the trip- Although slower and at risk of sub attack. Fortunately you can have as many ships on pier side as you like/need. And yes it is a pain that it takes forever to repair the sys damage sufficiently for a safe passage- but better to be a little cautious and patient than seeing them floundering on a rush job.

PS- hope you and your family didn't get washed away in the Brisbane floods. One of the wettest days ever for the east coast.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 62
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/24/2011 1:39:54 PM   
aoffen

What you say re damage makes a lot of sense if I compare to what I saw, but is completely the opposite of what is written in the manual aka

»System Damage (Sys) - is a number between 0 and 99. A rating of 0 indicates all systems on the ship are functioning at full effect with no damage, while 99 indicates the ship’s systems are 99% damaged (effectively out of action). The greater the system damage, the less effective the ship will be in all aspects of combat and also in damage control.
» Flotation Damage (Flt) - is a number between 0 and 100. Floatation damage represents the accumulated damage to the hull of a ship. When Floatation damage reaches 100, the ship will sink.
» Engine Damage (Eng) - is a number between 0 and 100. Engine damage represents the amount of damage to a ship’s power plant.

Is there something going on here I don't get?

Regards
Andrew

(in reply to Cyber Me)
Post #: 63
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/27/2011 7:27:32 AM   
LoBaron

A ship will not sink as a direct result of 99sys damage.

99 sys does not come alone though, you will have floatation and fire damage and both have the tendency to increase to 100
but are opposed by the DC capabilities of the ship, which in effectiveness are governed by system damage.

So, effectively even a ship with 5 floatation and 99 sys damage will eventually sink with 100 floatation dmg.

Please note that on all my years of playing witp I have never witnessed a ship with 99 sys / 5 flt....

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 64
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/28/2011 7:14:41 AM   
aoffen

Dec 30 through Jan 2

A couple of days down in Melbourne for the Australian Open slowed things down a bit and particularly this AAR. The way things are going I am not sure I have the heart to write it.

Rather than go thru day by day I will give you the painful summary. KB turned up off the Australian coast just south of Sydney on Dec 29th. I had positioned everyone in Melbourne as I had spotted them coming south a few days previously and thought he would head for Sydney. Just to be safe though I got the dozens and dozens of ships in Melbourne into TF's and sent them West till the danger was clear. Well, in short, I was wrong. His recon obviously picked up all the ships in Melbourne and he sent KB charging into Bass Straight. For the next 3 days he has ranged unopposed from Melbourne to Adelaide and back wreaking havoc on the assembled shipping as it tried to flee. The carnage is almost too much to calculate. First of all he caught the cruiser force as it fled down the west coast of Tasmania and over two days of strikes sank 2 Australian CA's (Canberra and Australia - the bastard), a USN CA (Louisville) 2 CL's (Leander and Perth) and a DD. He then systematically annihilated the merchant shipping as it fled at a stately 12 ~ 14 kts. So far we have lost 10 AP's, 9 AK's and 11 AKL's. This turn another 24 ships have been hit and I am guessing half of them sunk - I only have the AAR not the full turn at this stage. Now admittedly, very few US ships were sunk and a number of the vessels were tiny prewar coastal boats, but the Australian navy and merchant marine have been almost wiped out and the sheer scale of the slaughter is horrific.

I can't see how to stop him. My CV's are miles away and there is absolutely no reason he can't stay here until his ammo runs out. My only advantage is he doesn't know where my CV's are so I don't think he will risk KB retiring with no sorties left in case he runs into me. In order to help that likelihood I cancelled the Wake/Marshalls raid and ordered my CV's to retire before they were spotted. If he knows I am up north he will never give up pounding me in the South. I have to make him worried I am about to turn up in force.

Elsewhere……
My efforts to catch any of his damaged ships retiring from the minefield fiasco at Soerabaja have been a dismal failure. Numerous air, PT boat and sub attacks have resulted in significant air and PT losses for me. Mini KB has now turned up to cover the withdrawal so he shot down over a dozen Dutch aircraft last turn. My subs either fire blanks or miss completely so no joy at all.

In Malaya we have moved a brigade into the hex north of Johore Baru and another is on the way. Not sure we will have enough strength to attack but I advanced some armour in from JB so we control that hexside and with any luck the guys will retire south into JB when attacked. Will attach a pic when I get the turn tonight. The B-17's which evacuated from PI to Calcutta have been hitting Chang Mai without much effect. He has Oscars there so there is action but not many losses.

In the PI a big shock attack came in last turn at Clarke Field. We kicked arse - the only good news on the front. The shock attack only achieved 1-2 odds and resulted in 5000 Japanese casualties vs about 1800 for us. Take that!! Elsewhere in the PI he is slowly mopping up the other Islands. Pace is slow. I am guessing he needs to knock Clarke and Bataan over to free the forces to attack the DEI. The longer we can hold the better I guess.

In the Central Pacific the air training effort continues. Fuel and supply convoys to PH and Auckland are now set up. Saratoga has left San Diego and will rv at Pearl Harbour with the other 3 CV's. If KB heads West after Australia there might be the chance for a 4 CV force to duck in and do some damage. Meantime train and build are the two key words.

Trying to hang tough.
Andrew

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 65
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/28/2011 7:40:03 AM   
bbbf

It feels painful (especially for us Aussies), but those ships are mostly unimportant.  The AP's & any TK's will hurt a bit, they are all handy until mid 43.  The other ships are nice to have but won't slow you down once your turn to go on the offensive begins.

I'd go forward with the raids still - you might catch them flat footed somewhere else, sure you'll lose a few more ships near Melbourne,  but as I said, they aren't that important strategically.  You know where KB and mini-KB are, that doesn't happen often - use the opportunity to deep raid his supply lines.

Don't let them psych you out with some losses you can actually easily bear. His carriers are a very long way from being able to bring yours down.

< Message edited by bbbf -- 1/28/2011 7:43:43 AM >

Robert Lee

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 66
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/29/2011 12:53:26 AM   
Itdepends

I agree- get him to react to you rather than the other way around.

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 67
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/29/2011 1:35:28 AM   
aoffen

Losses for last turn. Not as bad as I thought. 7 AKL's, 3 AK's and an AM.

MTB MTB 7 Ship sunk Sunk by 12.7cm/50 3YT T. B. at 65,108 near Salajar Major
MTB MTB 10 Ship sunk Sunk by 12.7cm/50 3YT T. B. at 65,108 near Salajar Major
xAKL Canopus Ship sunk Sunk by 250 kg SAP Bomb at 69,165 near Kingscote Major
xAKL James Cook Ship sunk Sunk by 250 kg SAP Bomb at 69,165 near Kingscote Major
xAKL Karuah Ship sunk Sunk by 250 kg SAP Bomb at 69,165 near Kingscote Major
xAK Tarifa Ship sunk Sunk by 250 kg SAP Bomb at 70,159 near Ceduna Major
xAK Kooringa Ship sunk Sunk by 250 kg SAP Bomb at 70,159 near Ceduna Major
xAK Mary Livanos Ship sunk Sunk by 250 kg SAP Bomb at 70,159 near Ceduna Major
xAKL Darvel Ship sunk Sunk by 250 kg SAP Bomb at 71,172 near Portland Major
xAKL Kaiping Ship sunk Sunk by 250 kg SAP Bomb at 71,174 near Portland Major
xAKL Sjobris Ship sunk Sunk by 250 kg SAP Bomb at 72,170 near Portland Major
xAKL Mulubinda Ship sunk Sunk by 250 kg SAP Bomb at 72,170 near Portland Major
TK British Motorist Ship sunk Sunk by 53cm Type 95 Torp at 92,167 near Newcastle Major
AM Townsville Ship sunk Sunk by 800 kg AP Bomb at Adelaide Major

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 68
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/29/2011 1:55:23 AM   
aoffen

Some pictures
First SE Australia where KB is wreaking havoc.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 69
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/29/2011 1:56:56 AM   
aoffen

The poor buggers left behind and barely alive in Portland

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 70
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/29/2011 1:58:07 AM   
aoffen

and also in Adelaide. Plenty of work for the yards if he doesn't finish them off

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 71
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/29/2011 2:01:10 AM   
aoffen

The situation around the DEI after the attempted bombardment of Sorebaja

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 72
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/29/2011 2:03:37 AM   
aoffen

Finally Malaya

Attachment (1)

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 73
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/29/2011 11:07:34 AM   
Itdepends

Looking at what's in Portland- I'd call that pretty bad. Too late now- but what were you planning on doing with the long legged (high endurance) AP's you had there? There's no troops to be shuttled from Oz- would have thought they would have been better off in Aden, Frisco etc.

Anyway- do you have a feel for whether he'll go further west to pursue or retire east? If west I'd get those undamaged ships out of Portland and send them south in TF's of 1 or 2 each. Anything to drop the target size that'll tempt his carriers on the way back.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 74
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/29/2011 11:46:49 AM   
Nemo121

I've lost 590 ships ( about 400 in the first month of the war ) in my game against 1EyedJacks ( we are into May now ) and, as the Allies, not only am I on the offensive but I have over 200 xAKs sitting it out in various bases as there isn't enough work for them. To be fair I pay a lot of attention to the logistical side of things so I don't tend to need a lot of xAKs.

Bottom line though. 40 or so xAKs and a few old CAs isn't a huge issue.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 75
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/29/2011 12:40:51 PM   
aoffen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Looking at what's in Portland- I'd call that pretty bad. Too late now- but what were you planning on doing with the long legged (high endurance) AP's you had there? There's no troops to be shuttled from Oz- would have thought they would have been better off in Aden, Frisco etc.

Anyway- do you have a feel for whether he'll go further west to pursue or retire east? If west I'd get those undamaged ships out of Portland and send them south in TF's of 1 or 2 each. Anything to drop the target size that'll tempt his carriers on the way back.

Most of those ships were escapees from the north. I am trying to set Auckland up as a hub so was keeping some capacity to use it. The AP's were going to head off to SFO but got caught before they left. My fault for not having enough of a sense of urgency I guess.

I think the CV's will go back East. there are oiler off the east coast waiting.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 76
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 1/30/2011 1:03:33 AM   
bbbf

Go deep!

His carriers are way out of the picture, you can use this to do to him what he has just done to you!

You might end up with nothing but the likelihood of you losing a carrier is almost zero.

The Allies need a bit of a morale boost here - you can't do a Doolittle, but you might get a little bit of revenge.

Robert Lee

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 77
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/3/2011 6:13:03 AM   
aoffen

Jan 3 - Jan 4

Jan 3
KB keep the preesure up south of Melbourne with another big attack on Portland that hits 15 of the damaged AP's and AK's that had taken refuge there. A number sink and the rest are trashed. A similar size strike on Melbourne hits the damaged cruisers under repair Melbourne. Neither are sunk but they are little more than floating hulks.

In DEI a small TF of damaged ships trying to get away gets hit by Betties near Batavia and the British CL Dragon takes a torp and goes down. Numerous Dutch air attacks on mini KB get snotted. Those Dutch fighters are perhaps the most useless aircraft known to mankind.

In Malaya the Japanese shock atttack the hex north of JB and get 7-1. The survivors retreat on JB. that leaves two brigades stuck at Malacca. Can't see our position in Malaya lasting to the end of the month at this rate.

In China Chengchow falls and an attack on Nanyang is rebuffed. The Japanese are pushing hard up here and I think its only a matter of time till they force us back into the rough terrain.

Jan 4

KB is withdrawing up the Australian East coast striking as she goes. More Dutch ships are caught in the net. My fault that one, they should have headed to Noumea.

Allied Ships
PC Zeeman, Bomb hits 5, and is sunk
AO TAN 2, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
AVP Arend, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
AVP Reiger, Bomb hits 5, and is sunk
AVP Bellatrix, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
TK Anastasia, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
TK Francol, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage

Port Moresby has started taking some punishment now with daily raids over the last few days. I suspect it is next on the list. The Japanese seem to be staking their turf and then back filling later.

In the DEI a big convoy of fleeing Dutch AKL's and the battered CL Boise are caught by a cruiser force. The results are predictable.

Allied Ships
CL Boise, Shell hits 13, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAKL Elcano
xAKL Escalante R
xAKL Legazpi
xAKL Lepus
xAKL Kwangtung
xAKL Lee Sang, Shell hits 1
xAKL Oriskany, Shell hits 2
xAKL Belawan
xAKL Benkalis, Shell hits 1, on fire
xAKL Benkoelen
xAKL Boelongan, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL De Klerk
xAKL De Haan, Shell hits 2, on fire
xAKL Duijmar van Twist, Shell hits 1
xAKL Lematang, Shell hits 2
xAKL Meroendoeng
xAKL Siaoe, Shell hits 5, heavy fires
xAKL Siberoet
xAKL Sibolga, Shell hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Sigli, Shell hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAKL Silindoeng, Shell hits 5, on fire, heavy damage
xAKL Sinabang, Shell hits 1
xAKL Bordvik, Shell hits 2, on fire
xAKL Proteus, Shell hits 16, heavy fires, heavy damage

My PT's join in but get kicked for their trouble.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Batavia at 49,97, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Takao
CA Chokai
CA Mikuma
DD Maikaze
DD Hagikaze
DD Murakumo
DD Asagiri
DD Yomogi

Allied Ships
PT TM-4
PT TM-5
PT TM-6, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
PT TM-7
PT TM-8
PT TM-9, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

In China another attack on Nanyang is rebuffed. Their odds are improving though, this time 2-1 and I fear next time it will fall.

Time for an overall comment.

Things could be better but they could also be a lot worse. We have lost too much merchant shipping but I don't think it is enough to impair us at this stage. I may have to convert some more AK's into AP's but I think the situation is under control. We have lost a few cruisers now as a result of KB down in Melbourne. Again painful but not critical. Most of the losses have been Dutch and Australian so the USN is barely touched. That really means we have lost ancilliary forces that are useful in '42 but surplus later so I think we are OK.

I have now gathered some forces that can start confronting the IJN. I am going to reinforce Suva and Auckland as a starter. The 8th Marine regiment will head to Suva with engineers and as soon as I can release some infantry away from the US restricted HQ I will send a division to Auckland as well (probably Americal Div). An Aircobra fighter group is almost trained to 60 air skill level so will be ready for deployment to Suva and Auckland also. The US CV's are going to strike the Marshalls then head south to Auckland also. Bombers will follow in February. By end Jan/early Feb I hope to have a decent force built up that can threaten him if he tries another stunt on the Australian East coast like he just did. Once Suva and Auckland are secure, I will reinforce Noumea and try to build it up as a major base. I wouldn't be surprised if Port Moresby is taken so the first counter offensive will be based out of the Suva - Noumea - Auckland position. He is going to have to do a lot of work over the next few month backfilling behind his position. If an opportunity presents itself we might try and intervene once we have that secure base of operations. Most important thing meantime is to not lose any carriers so we have a credible strike force to keep them honest.

Regards
Andrew

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 78
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/5/2011 12:56:12 AM   
aoffen

Jan 5-6

Jan 5
DEI
I sent a 5 ship sub expedition loaded with mines to Kendari harbour which arrived today. Mines were laid and we had a small enjoyable success when the Dutch sub O20 put 3 torps into a TK, but that was counter balanced by two of his ASW TF's hitting and damaging both O20 and KXV. Both will survive.

The Dutch Airforce continues to slaughter itself against mini KB. They have been totally ineffective with the bombers hitting nothing over multiple raids and the fighters being shot down by Betties.

Australia
KB hits Sydney as it transits north up the coast.

Afternoon Air attack on Sydney , at 90,167

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 165 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 70 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
B5N2 Kate x 106

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 25 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
AMc Goolgwai, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Iron Knob, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAP Allara, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
xAP Dundula, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMc Goonambee, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
AMc Samuel Benbow, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Manpower hits 3
Fires 1653
Port hits 13
Port supply hits 1

The AP's had been partway through their conversion from AK's so were unable to flee. Brisbane is next I guess.

In the Pacific, despite my real reluctance to reveal where our CV's are, I have ordered a two CV raid to strike Roi Namur. They will be there in 2 days.

In China, both Nanyang and Wuchow fall to the IJA. Looks like Mark is going to have to head for the hills now.

Ground combat at Nanyang (85,45)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 62701 troops, 657 guns, 109 vehicles, Assault Value = 2018

Defending force 29575 troops, 157 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 725

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0

Japanese adjusted assault: 1677

Allied adjusted defense: 309

Japanese assault odds: 5 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Nanyang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2262 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 68 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 93 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
10374 casualties reported
Squads: 492 destroyed, 114 disabled
Non Combat: 539 destroyed, 100 disabled
Engineers: 93 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 11 (11 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 8
Units destroyed 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
13th Ind.Mixed Brigade
17th/B Division
13th Division
116th Division
35th Division
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
34th Division
17th/C Division
52nd Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
8th Ind. Engineer Regiment
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
4th Mortar Battalion

Defending units:
7th New Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Cavalry Corps
29th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
41st Chinese Corps
4th Construction Regiment
22nd Group Army
5th War Area
31st Group Army

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ground combat at Wuchow (76,57)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 8232 troops, 119 guns, 15 vehicles, Assault Value = 293

Defending force 1700 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 26

Japanese adjusted assault: 550

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 550 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Wuchow !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), morale(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
47 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1494 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 126 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 0 disabled
Units retreated 1
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
66th Infantry Regiment
1st Ind.Inf.Group
67th Ind.Infantry Battalion
21st Mortar Battalion
23rd Army
2nd RF Gun Battalion

Defending units:
16th Group Army
13th Chinese Base Force

Jan 6
The Japanese subs have gone beserk again and mine just keep on shooting blanks. I lose 3 AK's and an AD to Japanese sub attacks - 12 torps are fired and 8 hit. The most depressing hit however is this one

Sub attack near Ailuk at 143,113

Japanese Ships
SS I-172

Allied Ships
CV Lexington, Torpedo hits 1
CL Helena
DD Cushing
DD Patterson
DD MacDonough
DD Smith
DD Perkins

I knew I shouldn't have gone on a speculative raid. The risks were just not worth the potential gain. Lexington now has 44 float damage and will be out of action for months, and he knows where I am. Aaaagh.

My return in all of this

Sub attack near Brisbane at 100,162

Japanese Ships
CV Shokaku
BB Kirishima
CA Chikuma
CL Abukuma
DD Tanikaze
DD Kagero
DD Ushio
DD Sazanami
DD Kasumi
DD Arare

Allied Ships
SS Tuna

SS Tuna launches 6 torpedoes at CV Shokaku
Tuna diving deep ....

If only one had gone off.

In the DEI I have tried to get the remaining vessels out and to Darwin or Colombo. He has mini KB cruising the south coast of Java so I split everyone into single ship TF's and scattered them to see if someone can make it out. I also formed 3 TF's of local Dutch minesweepers to head out as decoys. If they absorb some losses they may help save some AK's. The Japanese also land in Bali.

I also manage to get a 220 mine field sown at Pt Moresby, but lose one of the mine layers to Betties in the effort.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 98,130

Raid detected at 38 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
CM Bungaree, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
AM Lithgow

That has just about run me out of VH MkII's now and so the loss of the Bungaree won't hurt.

Over on Marks side, he is trying to get the 45th Indian Brigade into Pt Blair so he can hold it. He has put together a fairly strong force to try and fight through but the Betties have spotted it and started to attack. Of 4 attacks only 1 has an impact, but it hurts

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Port Blair at 48,57

Weather in hex: Thunderstorms

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M1 Betty x 13

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 3 damaged

Allied Ships
PG Hindustan, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAP Kelantan, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
KV Fritillary
CL Hobart

Allied ground losses:
647 casualties reported
Squads: 20 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 29 destroyed, 8 disabled
Engineers: 20 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 8 (8 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 6 (6 destroyed, 0 disabled)

The damage to the Lexington hurts my plan to get a 4 CV force deployed down in the Suva - Noumea - Auckland zone. Not sure 3 CV's are enough so my plan may be pushed back a month. I will use the CV"s to escort my convoys through in the meantime.

Regards
Andrew

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 79
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/5/2011 1:45:35 AM   
witpqs

OK, I'm in a Scenario 28 (DaBabes) game at about the same date you are on here. Did you finally go with 28 or did you ( wimp out and) stick with Scenario 1? If you're in Scenario 28 it would be an interesting comparison.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 80
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/5/2011 8:37:10 AM   
aoffen

We stuck with Scen 1 after a bunch of the da babes stuff was ported over in the last patch. How are you going?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 81
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/5/2011 4:29:33 PM   
witpqs

quote:

We stuck with Scen 1 after a bunch of the da babes stuff was ported over in the last patch. How are you going?

We are both liking DaBabes much more than scenario 1 (and scenario two for most of my opponents experience). There are obvious differences between 1 and 2, so my opponent had to adjust to that which led to us restarting after reaching late February or early March. Now we're in early January (we both have AAR's running, "vicberg" is my opponent) and he's using a much more focused and disciplined approach to where he's invading and how much force he's using. Ouch! In 2 apparently that wasn't necessary as IJ rolls everywhere they go. In DB they still do, but they have to bring enough. That means that closer to IRL they have to concentrate force and they don't have enough to go everywhere at the same time (like they can in scenario 2).

I really like the refinements made in DB that I've seen so far. The pace of advance is slowed and you really have to watch your support. For example, in the DEI the Dutch have way less air support than in scenario 1. Even with the stuff incorporated into scenario 1, DB is still way closer to the mark because there is a bunch of reworking that they haven't pulled into #1 yet.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 82
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/9/2011 3:14:03 AM   
aoffen

Jan 7 - 8

Jan 7

In the DEI my naval forces that scattered and ran take heavy casualties at the hands of mini KB and a cruiser force. Most of the AKL's get cleaned up as do a number of the minesweepers I sent out as decoys and an AD. Looks like I'll get a few AKLs a DD and an AS out so that some small compensation.

Off Oz KB has now pulled back and I presume is heading for Truk for resupply. My damaged Lexington is still limping back to Pearl at 16kts.

At Pt Blair the rather bold attempt to land the 45th Brigade is only a few hexes off the port but is again attacked by Betties who nail a PG and put a torp into a CL. No AP's hit so we should get the troops ashore even if we lose more ships.

In the Philipines a big attack at Clarke is again repulsed with heavy Japanese losses. Huzzah!!

He outnumbers me 2-1 now and has huge forces deployed - 3 Infantry Divs, 8 regiment or brigades sized infantry units, 3 tank regiments, 4 engineer regiments and 13 artillery units. That's the equivalent of about 6 divisions so they may fall but having so many forces deployed here is slowing him down in the DEI I am guessing.

Ground combat at Clark Field (79,76)

Attacking force 69857 troops, 823 guns, 624 vehicles, Assault Value = 2328

Defending force 34140 troops, 523 guns, 450 vehicles, Assault Value = 1206

Japanese adjusted assault: 1805

Allied adjusted defense: 1729

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
6180 casualties reported
Squads: 27 destroyed, 360 disabled
Non Combat: 34 destroyed, 206 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 63 disabled
Vehicles lost 100 (23 destroyed, 77 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1680 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 94 disabled
Non Combat: 39 destroyed, 102 disabled
Vehicles lost 63 (52 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Assaulting units:
65th Brigade
48th Recon Regiment
4th Tank Regiment
47th Infantry Regiment
4th Division
16th Recon Regiment
16th Engineer Regiment
21st Division
1st Formosa Inf. Regiment
20th Ind. Engineer Regiment
19th Ind. Engineer Regiment
38th Division
Kanno Detachment
48th Engineer Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment
7th Tank Regiment
Tanaka Detachment
20th Infantry Regiment
Sasebo 1st SNLF
14th Army
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
1st Medium Field Artillery Regiment
8th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
48th Field Artillery Regiment
2nd Mortar Battalion
2nd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
3rd Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
10th Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
20th Ind. Mtn Gun Battalion
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
2nd Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
194th Tank Battalion
Subic Bay Defenses
21st PA Infantry Division
1st PA Constabulary Regiment
4th Marine Regiment
51st PA Infantry Division
91st PA Infantry Division
11th PA Infantry Division
31st Infantry Regiment
41st PA Infantry Division
26th PS Cavalry Regiment
45th PS Infantry Regimental Combat Team
192nd Tank Battalion
31st PA Infantry Division
2nd PA Constabulary Regiment
200th & 515th Coast AA Regiment
II Philippine Corps
I Philippine Corps
Clark Field USAAF Base Force
Cavite USN Base Force
USAFFE
PAF Aviation
Far East USAAF
Provisional GMC Grp

Jan 8

AS good turn for his subs claiming an AK and a DD.

At Pt Blair the troops get ashore at night but the next day the Betties strike and all 4 AP's are sunk over the course of the day. I think it was still worth it. They will have to put a big force ashore or risk Pt Blair surviving on their flank.

Elsewhere its a mopping up turn. More AKLs are hit on the west coast of Sumatra and the Japanese have now landed at Tarakan.

In Malaya, Mark is attacking with his cut off force at Malacca but its not really getting anywhere and the Japanese forces are moving up. Those guys are not long for the world. At JB he advances the remnants of an Australian brigade to Mersing which the Japanese seem to have left unoccupied. Might be a useful diversion.

In China Loyang falls and the retreat to the hills is in full swing. Interestingly the Japanese are pursuing on the road to Sian. Wonder if they plan attacking?

My training is strating to kick in and I now have about 6 float plane and bomber squadrons at 50 ASW and 6 fighter squadrons pushing 60 Air skill. Fighters will deploy soon as part of the Suva - Auckland - Noumea defence axis.

Rgds
Andrew

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 83
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/9/2011 12:20:24 PM   
Itdepends

Have you got enough supplies ashore at Port Blair? If he bombs your supply stockpile into oblivion before he assaults it will come off much easier for him. Being a coastal base a long way from anything else- there's sod all you can do about keeping the airfield open against bombardment forces- especially if they have carrier support.

Will slow him down though.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 84
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/9/2011 1:45:17 PM   
aoffen

17000 supply there so with some top up by subs they should be able to hang on for a while and take some punishment.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 85
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/12/2011 8:23:37 AM   
aoffen

Jan 9 - 12

Ok some catch up here. Apologies for leaving it so long (assuming someone out there is reading this). Last few days have not been hugely eventful so we can get through this in one post i think.

Jan 9
In the DEI the pressure continues. A big raid on Soerabaja catches some subs repairing before their next patrol.

Morning Air attack on Soerabaja , at 56,104

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 139 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 48 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 31
G4M1 Betty x 18

Allied aircraft
B-339D x 6
CW-21B Demon x 5
75A-7 Hawk x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M1 Betty: 3 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
B-339D: 3 destroyed
CW-21B Demon: 1 destroyed
75A-7 Hawk: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
SS O20, Bomb hits 1
SS Spearfish, Bomb hits 1
SS KXV, Bomb hits 1

Repair Shipyard hits 1
Manpower hits 1
Fires 141

My fighters perform as per their standard protocol in this battle. They don't even seem able to shoot down unescorted Betties.

Off the coast of WA one of the survivors of the great rush out of Soerabaja was the AS Otus. She took a torp off Carnarvon on the West Coast of Oz. Next turn she takes another but still limps into Perth a few days later with 40 float damage. Tough ship.

My sub mining mission to Truk arrived but stumbled into a minefield itself. SS Pompano took a hit but will hopefully make it back. Have sent it to Brisbane. The mines I laid only last a few days as he promptly sweeps them up.

In Malaya the 2 brigade force isolated in Malacca after his landing in Mersing gets hammered.

Ground combat at Malacca (49,81)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 6884 troops, 52 guns, 130 vehicles, Assault Value = 374

Defending force 6630 troops, 53 guns, 39 vehicles, Assault Value = 184

Japanese adjusted assault: 116

Allied adjusted defense: 38

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), preparation(-), experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
416 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 32 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 58 disabled

Allied ground losses:
290 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
56th Recon Regiment
42nd Infantry Regiment
5th Recon Regiment
55th Infantry Regiment
22nd Recon Regiment
4th Ind. Engineer Regiment
1st RF Gun Battalion

Defending units:
28th Gurkha Brigade
1st Hyderabad Battalion
22nd Indian Brigade
223 Group RAF
3rd HK&S Light AA Regiment
1st ISF Base Force
2nd ISF Base Force

They hold well

Jan 10

Another big raid on Soerabaja nails the ships remaining in port there. The 3 damaged subs there are lost which is bad news for us.

Afternoon Air attack on Soerabaja , at 56,104

Raid detected at 23 NM, estimated altitude 16,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 31
G4M1 Betty x 20

Allied aircraft
B-339D x 1
CW-21B Demon x 3
75A-7 Hawk x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
CW-21B Demon: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
SS O20, Bomb hits 6, and is sunk
CM Krakatau, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
SS Spearfish, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
AMc Djombang, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
SS KXV, Bomb hits 6, heavy damage
AMc Merbabo, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk
AMc Rindjani, Bomb hits 1, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
4 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Port hits 4
Port fuel hits 1

Over in Malaya the Malacca pocket takes an even bigger this and this time folds.

Ground combat at Malacca (49,81)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 9173 troops, 74 guns, 89 vehicles, Assault Value = 325

Defending force 6354 troops, 53 guns, 39 vehicles, Assault Value = 172

Japanese adjusted assault: 294

Allied adjusted defense: 42

Japanese assault odds: 7 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Malacca !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-), fatigue(-), morale(-), experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
510 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 46 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 34 disabled
Units pursuing 2

Allied ground losses:
3831 casualties reported
Squads: 193 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 257 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 41 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 26 (26 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 28 (28 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 6
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
5th Recon Regiment
22nd Recon Regiment
55th Infantry Regiment
42nd Infantry Regiment
56th Recon Regiment
4th Ind. Engineer Regiment
1st RF Gun Battalion

Defending units:
28th Gurkha Brigade
1st Hyderabad Battalion
22nd Indian Brigade
223 Group RAF
1st ISF Base Force
3rd HK&S Light AA Regiment
2nd ISF Base Force

They retreat north and still have some fighting ability so will still have to be mopped up.

Jan 11

The air campaign against Soerabja continues but there isn't much left in the port so they are pounding rubble now. Interesting an IJN sub wanders into our minefield there. Its been a super weapon that minefield.

A couple of our subs take ASW hits after failed attacks on their TF's. We are positioning Perth as the new base now Soerabaja is out of the game, so the subs head there.

Port Blair has been copping a lot of attention from Betties and Zeroes as well. Getting a brigade in there seems to have upset our Japanese friends and they are pounding the hell out of the place. Good result for us as it means they are not pounding other places and if we can cause them some serious distraction then the mission is accomplished.

Big result for the home side at Clarke in the PI. After 2 shock attacks did not succeed they try deliberate this time.

Attacking force 67452 troops, 823 guns, 615 vehicles, Assault Value = 2167

Defending force 31987 troops, 490 guns, 401 vehicles, Assault Value = 1085

Japanese adjusted assault: 1875

Allied adjusted defense: 1177

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 0)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3830 casualties reported
Squads: 124 destroyed, 237 disabled
Non Combat: 61 destroyed, 104 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 68 disabled
Vehicles lost 39 (6 destroyed, 33 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1532 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 116 disabled
Non Combat: 39 destroyed, 139 disabled
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 55 (24 destroyed, 31 disabled)

Again we throw them back with almost 4,000 casualties including 124 dead squads. That's 3 unsuccessful attacks now with losses totalling over 12,000. Must be slowing them down some.

Jan 12

A Japanese TF appears off Palembang and starts sweeping mines. My shore batteries score a few hits but nothing that will stop him. Landing must be soon.

In Burma the Japanese have arrived at Pegu and an armoured units puts in a hasty attack. Not very effective but broadcasts their intent on an early move into Burma.

In China the Japanese put in a big attack in the hills north west of Nanyang and get a bloody nose. The terrain obviously helped and hopefully that might slow down his aspirations for a big push on Sian.

Ground combat at 85,44 (near Nanyang)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 48971 troops, 474 guns, 179 vehicles, Assault Value = 1664

Defending force 37711 troops, 218 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1053

Japanese adjusted assault: 1196

Allied adjusted defense: 1960

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+)

Japanese ground losses:
5110 casualties reported
Squads: 15 destroyed, 425 disabled
Non Combat: 11 destroyed, 187 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 57 disabled
Vehicles lost 12 (1 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1107 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 97 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 143 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
13th Division
35th Division
1st Ind.Mixed Brigade
13th Tank Regiment
34th Division
18th Ind.Mixed Brigade
138th Infantry Regiment
2nd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
52nd Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion

Defending units:
29th Chinese Corps
41st Chinese Corps
76th Chinese Corps
36th Chinese Corps
85th Chinese Corps
2nd Chinese Cavalry Corps
31st Group Army
5th War Area
22nd Group Army
4th Construction Regiment

That 4 days in a nutshell. Will follow up with some strategic commentary later tonight.
Regards
Andrew

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 86
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/15/2011 11:46:39 AM   
aoffen

Jan 13 - 15
We seem to be motoring along at the moment through a relative quiet patch. Well compared to KB blasting the entire South East corner of Australia for turn after turn its quiet anyway.

Jan 13

A quiet turn. Some action off Palembang as the Japanese minesweepers clear the port under fire from shore guns. A couple of hits scored but a I suspect nothing fatal.

Over at Tarakan the landings continue. A deliberate attack at the end of the day fails to take the place only achieving 1-29 odds. Either he was very unlucky or he has under specced his mission force.

Quite a bit of sub action. Numerous unsuccessful torpedoes strikes by us (4 in total for no explosions) and then in turn we lose an AK off San Francisco and a minesweeper off Suva. The convoy carrying the 8th Marine regiment is close to Suva now so the sub attacking on the AM's in the ASW TF is a worry. So far they are unspotted.

Otherwise just numerous Japanese air attacks all over the place which are in fact too numerous to even mention individually :(

Jan 14

After the losses to his subs last turn, looks like we either nailed or at least badly damaged I-122 off Ceylon for some payback.

ASW attack near Trivandrum at 25,46

Japanese Ships
SS I-122, hits 5, heavy damage

Allied Ships
KV Nigella
KV Hollyhock

At Tarakan he continues unloading. Not sure why he attacked last turn. Anyway we score single hits on two AK's and two CL's this time with shore battery fire. Hope it hurts.

The other good news is our transport TF got through unscathed to Suva and has started discharging the 8th Marines. At least we have something in theatre now. Much more is on the way but it is a good feeling to start.

On the ground, the action is in Burma. We finally counter attack the force that has flown into Toungoo. No joy as we only get 1-2 and don't even damage his forces. Don't think that road block is going anywhere now. Down near Rangoon, the Japanese blow our position at Pegu away. It was like we didn't exist.

Ground combat at Pegu (55,53)

Attacking force 4852 troops, 77 guns, 182 vehicles, Assault Value = 229

Defending force 2980 troops, 32 guns, 1 vehicles, Assault Value = 104

Japanese adjusted assault: 277

Allied adjusted defense: 15

Japanese assault odds: 18 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Pegu !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
109 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 8 disabled
Vehicles lost 7 (1 destroyed, 6 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1469 casualties reported
Squads: 52 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 66 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 18 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 9 (9 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 2
Units destroyed 3

Assaulting units:
14th Tank Regiment
112th Infantry Regiment
6th Tank Regiment
55th Mountain Gun Regiment
5th Mortar Bn /2

Defending units:
6th Burma Rifles Battalion
4/14th Punjab Battalion
Tenasserim BAF Battalion
4th Burma Rifles Battalion
16th Indian Brigade

Jan 15

At sea there is some more sub action. Two Jap subs are active off Suva, I-8 and RO-33. Unfortunately RO-33 takes a shot at our TF unloading at Suva. It misses and takes a couple of hits in return but that combat report will broadcast our position. All the 8th except its artillery is ashore now and the rest should only take a day or two. Engineers and Aircobras escorted by Carriers are following over the next few weeks.

More Jap air attacks than you can poke a stick at, but no real damage caused. Interesting things is the appearance of Tojo's in Burma. Tojo's in Jan 42?

In the islands, more shore battery hits at Tarakan. 2 on one of the AK's we hit last turn. That may actually hurt it. He also lands at Babo at the West end of New Guinea, Boela near Ambon and down at Lunga and Tulagi in the Solomons.

On the ground, another attack comes in at Tarakan achieving 1-1 this time. The losses are even at 300 odd but his are destroyed and mine are disabled so he is struggling to take the place it seems. First evidence he does not have an absolute abundance of troops.

The big question now is where does KB go next? It looks like it is re-arming in Truk. I figure they have 3 options. Another raid either to Australia or over to Fiji now they have seen we are reinforcing the area. I have sent a line of subs to patrol to the east of New Guinea to try and spot that if it comes. Second is to support the invasion of the DEI, although I am not sure they are ready for that until they clean up Singapore or the PI. Last is a raid to the Indian Ocean. This is quite possible as they seem to be going early into Burma. We are going to send reinforcements to Ceylon to guard against an attack there but its still early 42 so in effect they go where they please and do as they please. The trick for us is stay out their way better than we did off Melbourne.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 87
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/15/2011 3:51:46 PM   
SqzMyLemon

quote:

More Jap air attacks than you can poke a stick at, but no real damage caused. Interesting things is the appearance of Tojo's in Burma. Tojo's in Jan 42?

Japan starts with a prototype Tojo unit at Canton of 8 aircraft. There is no Tojo production as yet so there will be no replacements for losses to this unit.

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 88
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/19/2011 1:37:08 AM   
aoffen

Jan 16 through 20
The quiet before the storm.

Jan 16
At Sea
Our super weapons (VH Mk II mines score another hit at Paalembang, hitting a sub chaser that was escorting mine sweepers.

TF 151 encounters mine field at Palembang (48,91) - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

1 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DMS W-6
SC Ch 1, Mine hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

DMS W-6 firing at Palembang Base Force
Palembang Base Force firing at DMS W-6
11 mines cleared

On the Ground
Our second attack at Toungoo in Burma is a dismal failure achieving only 1-19 odds. The writing is on the wall so I started the evacuation of all base forces from the Burma theatre via Myitkina then over the hills to Jorhat.

Jan 17
In the air he launches 17 air operations aimed at my troops and bases. None from me and virtually no air to air combat. Sigh.

On the Ground
His first big attack goes in at Johore Baru and achieves 3-1. Casualties aren't too bad we hold. I hope that's a sign of the future but I suspect not as our forts are reduced from 2 to 1 and the same again will clear us out.

In Burma and armoured unit is hitting the infantry force which Mark deployed in the forests north of Pegu. Its only a matter of time before he moves on Rangoon.

Elsewhere there are a lot of mopping up attacks in the DEI taking out various dot bases. In Suva the 2nd Marines is now ashore with all their equipment and supplies are continuing to unload. The follow up convoy is a week away with the engineers and the fighters are about to arrive at pearl Harbour for transhipment so are still 3 weeks away. I have moved some recon assets to Suva which, with my sub picket line I am hoping it will give me a heads up if KB is headed this way.

Jan 18
The expected follow up attack at JB comes and again they get 3-1 which is enough to throw us out of the position and the force retreats in good order to Singapore. The way this campaign has evolved though we have too many combat units behind his lines fighting a guerrilla campaign and not enough in Singapore defending the base. With the forces he has deployed I would say one or two attacks will be enough to capture the place. We will be lucky if we hold on till the end of the month. More likely it will be a week or less.

At Toungoo the cheeky bastard attacks us and has the bloody hide to throw us out of the place with airlifted troops. Bloody hell....the disgrace.

Another attack at Tarakan only gets 1-1 but more troops are landing.

Jan 19
At Sea we try a a PT attack on Denapssar which has no effect.

In the air, the usual parade of Japanese attacks, but this time we get a hit in with 22 B-17's from Calcutta hitting Pegu near Rangoon. Some Oscars intercept but no casualties to us. We will continue this series of raids until damage and maintenance forces a halt.

At Clarke he trys another attack. Only achieves 1-2 but our causalties are as bad as his this time.

Attacking force 51105 troops, 705 guns, 451 vehicles, Assault Value = 1624

Defending force 31131 troops, 526 guns, 338 vehicles, Assault Value = 1004

Japanese adjusted assault: 1143

Allied adjusted defense: 1621

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 0)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2477 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 104 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 171 disabled
Engineers: 25 destroyed, 98 disabled

Allied ground losses:
2600 casualties reported
Squads: 12 destroyed, 208 disabled
Non Combat: 20 destroyed, 100 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled

Not happy about that. The fall back position at Bataan is only 20% away from getting to 4 forts so the position here is actually pretty good still. I can see us holding for quite a while. Due to what is suspect is an error he left a hexside open to the due east of Clarke. I take the chance and push an armoured battalion through into his rear. When I say battalion its actually only 9 Stuart tanks and a few GMC gun carriages but they will be a distraction to him. They capture the base east of Clarke and have turned north to Lingayan. He is chasing.

More mopping us in the DEI sees a bunch of bases in the Celebes, Timor, and the PI captured. He also attacks our guerrillas in Malaya and forces them deeper into the jungle. The biggest force left intact is an inf brigade which is headed for Kuantan.

Jan 20

Tarakan falls as the troops he brought in as a second wave finally attack. Took him a while to take the place which is good.

The B-17's hit Pegu again. I reckon we have one more shot before a rest and refit is required.

Still unloading supplies at Suva. Need to get engineers in a build the port up if I am to use it as a hub. Follow on convoys 3 or 4 days out.

Thats it for now.
Regards
Andrew

(in reply to SqzMyLemon)
Post #: 89
RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal ... - 2/20/2011 1:48:03 AM   
aoffen

Jan 21 through 24
Winds are picking up.

Jan 21
At Sea
A Japanese TF turns up at Port Moresby and starts sweeping all my carefully laid mines. With my cruiser force having been annihilated during the KB Christmas raid I have no significant forces in the area to deploy. Only resistance is from some shore batteries which hit a DMS.

On the ground
He arrives in Singapore in force and shock attacks getting 1-1. That was quick. At least I bleed him a bit, but Singapore won't last long at this rate.

Ground combat at Singapore (50,84)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 36768 troops, 494 guns, 102 vehicles, Assault Value = 1174

Defending force 20771 troops, 293 guns, 107 vehicles, Assault Value = 295

Japanese adjusted assault: 650

Allied adjusted defense: 417

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), morale(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
3390 casualties reported
Squads: 13 destroyed, 204 disabled
Non Combat: 9 destroyed, 250 disabled
Engineers: 8 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2259 casualties reported
Squads: 55 destroyed, 39 disabled
Non Combat: 62 destroyed, 79 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Vehicles lost 22 (1 destroyed, 21 disabled)

Assaulting units:
55th Infantry Regiment
Imperial Guards Division
56th Engineer Regiment
21st Infantry Regiment
113th Infantry Regiment
16th Infantry Regiment
41st Infantry Regiment
II./124th Infantry Battalion
24th Infantry Regiment
18th Mountain Gun Regiment
3rd Ind. Mountain Gun Regiment
18th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
5th Field Artillery Regiment
56th Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Medium Field Artillery Regiment
3rd Mortar Battalion
14th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion

Elsewhere its the usual littany of Japanese air attacks and mopping up ops.

Friendly ops are the contiuing B-17 raids in Burma at Pegu which aren't achieving much but must annoy him a bit and at Suva, where the 8th Marines convoy has finally finished unloading supplies and heads home. My earlier estimate for the follow on convoy was overly optimistic. Its going so slowly its still a week out. Hope KB doesn't come visiting again.

Jan 22
The action is at Port Moresby. His mine clearing ops continue but reports show 3 hits with a 6" shore battery on his DMS and a mine hit on the CA Furutaka all for the loss of 17 mines. Quite gratifying really.

At Suva our ASW TF of 4 minesweepers finds another sub operating off the port and play games with it.

At Denpassar another PT boat attack is rebuffed with the loss of a PT.

At Singapore a strange shock attack with only one unit is rebuffed.

In the PI our rampaging 9 tank raider unit moves into San Fernanado. I was hoping there might only be base forces here so we could scare him a bit but looks like he has a garrison too so it might be the end of our little escapade. Medals of Honour all round though.

Jan 23
The invasion force arrives and starts to unload at Port Moresby. looks like an inf regiment and a couple of naval guard units. Wonder if we can hold? Hmmmm.

Jan 24
Interesting combat report this turn. KB strikes Pt Moresby with 144 Kates. That tells me where he is focussed again. Not to the Bay of Bengal as I had hoped. Will have to keep a very watchful eye on these guys. If they head toward Suva we are going to have to run East as hard as we can. Do not want another repeat of Melbourne debacle.

His first attack goes in on Moresby. He doesn't have overwhelming force, but KB pounding them for a few turns will probably make the difference I guess.

Ground combat at Port Moresby (98,130)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 9408 troops, 84 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 274

Defending force 5162 troops, 74 guns, 7 vehicles, Assault Value = 148

Japanese adjusted assault: 155

Allied adjusted defense: 141

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), preparation(-), experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
436 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 33 disabled

Allied ground losses:
623 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 40 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 42 disabled

Assaulting units:
144th Infantry Regiment
53rd Naval Guard Unit
61st Naval Guard Unit
15th Base Force

Defending units:
49th Australian Battalion
Lark Battalion
Port Moresby Brigade
15th RAAF Base Force
Rabaul Det. Base Force

At San Fernando in the PI our brave raider tank force meets a sticky situation. Counter attacked by 7 units including a tank regiment at 40-1 but no losses. Stick and run stick and run.

Ground combat at San Fernando (80,74)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 298 troops, 8 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 97

Defending force 0 troops, 0 guns, 47 vehicles, Assault Value = 4

Japanese adjusted assault: 40

Allied adjusted defense: 1

Japanese assault odds: 40 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)

Assaulting units:
7th Tank Regiment
Yokosuka 1st SNLF /1
16th AA Regiment
21st Air Flotilla
11th JAAF Base Force
44th Field AA Battalion
18th JAAF AF Bn

Defending units:
194th Tank Battalion

In Burma, Prome (NW of Rangoon) fall so Rangoon is now isolated.

The brave B-17s from Calcutta are still pounding away, but a rest may now be in order.

Regards
Andrew

(in reply to aoffen)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Aussies v Aussies - Being clubbed like a baby seal (No Jrcar or Tony) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI